Undrafted guys find a home

He ran a 4.7, in part, because he hadn't been part of the program. He was out of shape.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's true, but duke wasn't going to test well enough to be a first round pick. And I don't think anybody actually knows was he working out on his own or not. It can also be looked at from the other perspective as well, if duke could run a 4.28 and had a 40" vertical he would have been drafted as quick as you can blink an eye

Drafted more than likely but how high depends on how well he would have tested and interviewed. Of course he would have been disliked by some had he left....

Congrats to all the young men and hoping they all make the best out of their opportunity!

Maybe Kiper does maybe he does not but his opinion is still respected by the major sports network going on now. No one can say what could have become of Duke because he blew his shot. At the time of Mel's analysis he was playing some great ball in the top conference in the nation. Somebody would have given him a chance if he could have kept his head on straight.

You're missing the point: even if he kept himself clean, he would have still showed up to the Combine and afterwards dropped like a rock after the abysmal showing he put up. A receiver who runs a 4.72, only jumps 30 inches, and who finishes dead last and second last in the 3-cone and short-shuttle isn't going to be a major NFL target regardless of what he did in college.

De'Runnya Wilson didn't get kicked out of school and he still went undrafted. Why? Because he went to the Combine and ran a 4.8. College production means literally dick-all if you've got the athleticism of a lineman.

If his head was on straight then maybe he would have prepared better for the combine. He numbers were so poor because he did not care to try and improve them. All the potential in the world...just another guy with a soon to be tv special on what could have been.

Duke Williams wouldn't have been a high pick regardless of his off-field crap. I mentioned numerous times that the "#1 WR" s*** was absurd. Mel Kiper doesn't know anything; he's about 10 years past his prime of actually knowing WTF he's talking about.

Duke Williams is a severely limited athlete, which has nothing to do with "the punch" or getting kicked off the team.

You always have such a sweet way of wording things. Ever thought of writing poetry or say, romantic novels for a living?

Ha - exactly what I was thinking. I think he comes here to vent.

Not saying Duke Williams = Laquon Treadwell, but food for thought. (Unbelievably, they didn't state in this article that he ran a 4.63 and a 4.65- yes, still faster than a 4.7.)

At the Scouting Combine, receiver Laquon Treadwell turned in a disappointing 40-yard dash, leading to some speculation that he could drop out of the first round. But that didn’t happen, as the Vikings selected him with the 23rd overall pick.

So why did the Vikings ignore Treadwell’s 40 time? G.M. Rick Spielman said on today’s PFT Live that watching Treadwell on tape reveals that he plays faster in a game than he runs in shorts.

“We watched all of his ’14 tape, and you look at his game speed,” Spielman said. “He had a very devastating injury at the end of the ’14 season against Auburn, and then you start to see him get his stride again the second half of the [2015] season. There’s been a lot of receivers that may not have run fast on the clock, but they play with good game speed, and we felt that Laquon definitely shows enough game speed to make an impact in this league.”

Duke Williams wouldn't have been a high pick regardless of his off-field crap. I mentioned numerous times that the "#1 WR" s*** was absurd. Mel Kiper doesn't know anything; he's about 10 years past his prime of actually knowing WTF he's talking about.

Duke Williams is a severely limited athlete, which has nothing to do with "the punch" or getting kicked off the team.

you're an idiot. There's a reason ESPN shows Kipers mock draft. Do I like him? No...but for you to say Kiper doesn't know anything is just pure ignorance. Might as well send in your resume to ESPN.

Monday morning QB: If Duke comes out a year earlier would he have gotten drafted in 2015?

I think so. 3rd round at the latest. Maybe a high second rounder.

Monday morning QB: If Duke comes out a year earlier would he have gotten drafted in 2015?

i agree he would have been drafted but his measurables were not good then either. i think you rate him too high.

you're an idiot. There's a reason ESPN shows Kipers mock draft. Do I like him? No...but for you to say Kiper doesn't know anything is just pure ignorance. Might as well send in your resume to ESPN.

Kiper knows dick-all anymore. Wow, ESPN still shows his mock drafts...you know why? Because he's cemented himself to the point wherein clueless morons such as yourself just eat up anything with his name on it. The man stopped actually "scouting" years ago. He just half-asses rankings together and pulls mock drafts out of his ass. No one who follows the draft gives two sh**s about what Kiper says anymore.

Kiper knows dick-all anymore. Wow, ESPN still shows his mock drafts...you know why? Because he's cemented himself to the point wherein clueless morons such as yourself just eat up anything with his name on it. The man stopped actually "scouting" years ago. He just half-asses rankings together and pulls mock drafts out of his ass. No one who follows the draft gives two sh**s about what Kiper says anymore.

Ok.

i agree he would have been drafted but his measurables were not good then either. i think you rate him too high.

I think Kyle Davis will become a better version of Duke & make everybody forget who he ever was. A big body, possession style receiver. I think he's listed at 215? Maybe. By his senior season he should be a monster. Reminds me of Anquan Boldin.

Hahahahahaha.

4.72 forty (2nd worst at the Combine)

30" vertical (3rd worst at the Combine)

7.43 three cone (worst at the Combine)

4.47 short shuttle (3rd worst at the Combine)

"High second rounder". Good one buddy. Because everyone knows that the NFL is absolutely in love with pudgy, hilariously unathletic receivers.

Out of 43 receivers invited to the Combine he finished virtually DEAD LAST in basically the four most significant athletic tests...and you think he's maybe a high second round pick LOL?

Hahahahahaha.

"High second rounder". Good one buddy. Because everyone knows that the NFL is absolutely in love with pudgy, hilariously unathletic receivers.

Out of 43 receivers invited to the Combine he finished virtually DEAD LAST in basically the four most significant athletic tests...and you think he's maybe a high second round pick LOL?

"hahahah." We were talking about if he would've came out last year. He was out of shape at the combine this year. "Hahahah." Who knows how he would've performed...LAST year.

Hahahahahaha.

Did you ever see "buddy" where we were talking about if he would've went last year? He blew the combine like Maurice Clarett did years ago. No s*** he wasn't drafted & hasn't been signed yet. We were speaking hypothetically.

"hahahah." We were talking about if he would've came out last year. He was out of shape at the combine this year. "Hahahah." Who knows how he would've performed...LAST year.

Why would he have been out of shape? He got kicked out of school and had MONTHS to prepare for the Combine. In fact he was an attendant at a pre-Combine athletic training camp just like every other "top prospect" was. You think he would have magically done significantly better last year? Why? He was still overweight last year. He would have tested about the same.

What are you trying to tell me, that after being kicked off the team he just sat around and ate Cheetos all day before showing up to the Combine?

Why would he have been out of shape? He got kicked out of school and had MONTHS to prepare for the Combine. In fact he was an attendant at a pre-Combine athletic training camp just like every other "top prospect" was. You think he would have magically done significantly better last year? Why? He was still overweight last year. He would have tested about the same.

What are you trying to tell me, that after being kicked off the team he just sat around and ate Cheetos all day before showing up to the Combine?

I have no idea what he done but it was obvious he was out of shape, & like you said he looked pudgy. I don't know what he would've done last year compared to this year...but I sure think his numbers would have been better. Couldn't have been worse.

Maybe Kiper does maybe he does not but his opinion is still respected by the major sports network going on now. No one can say what could have become of Duke because he blew his shot. At the time of Mel's analysis he was playing some great ball in the top conference in the nation. Somebody would have given him a chance if he could have kept his head on straight.

this

He was out of shape, think he was bout 20lb heavier than when he was playing

No, he wasn't. He was ~230 pounds which is the weight he played at all of LAST year. The "215 pounds" or whatever we had him listed as on the roster was pure BS. The coaching staff spent his entire time here trying to get him to lose weight and he never did. We had lots of arguments on here about his weight; the 229 pounds he weighed in at during the Combine isn't new at all.

I'm glad these guys have found at least a chance to make a team. I was personally surprised Cass, Jones, and Young did not get drafted. All 3 had the measurables and all 3 were somewhat productive in college and that usually means you'll get a look from a pro team. I expect all 3 of these guys to be productive players in the NFL. Hope it works out for them.

Archived