2017 4* QB Kellen Mond (aTm commit 6/27/16)

ellitor

I heard a podcast that said aTm was telling Mond he would not have to run the ball a lot, but of course AU would want to use him in designed run plays a lot. I also saw where Mond said our offense was a perfect fit for his talents. What is aTm's thinking here? Anyone else here this? Does it hurt us wanting him to be a duel-threat(as he is listed)?

• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do our chances improve if he waits and watches a few games this year or do our chance improve if he commits before the season?

That probably depends entirely on how good we are this year. Know anyone who can see the future?

God....but heis not sharing on this subject.

Do our chances improve if he waits and watches a few games this year or do our chance improve if he commits before the season?

He's not waiting til after the season starts. He wants to make a choice & be done with it.

I heard a podcast that said aTm was telling Mond he would not have to run the ball a lot, but of course AU would want to use him in designed run plays a lot. I also saw where Mond said our offense was a perfect fit for his talents. What is aTm's thinking here? Anyone else here this? Does it hurt us wanting him to be a duel-threat(as he is listed)?

Appearently he prefers to be in a pro style where he is not running much.

^ That pretty much puts me in a stage where I'll be happy if we get him but I'm not expecting him to end up at AU.

Which of the bold is true? Did A&M tell him he wouldn't have to run much because that was a concern of his? Why would he say our offense was a perfect fit if that were the case? I would assume we're known to recruits for a running QB, Cam Newton, and Nick Marshall.

Which of the bold is true? Did A&M tell him he wouldn't have to run much because that was a concern of his? Why would he say our offense was a perfect fit if that were the case? I would assume we're known to recruits for a running QB, Cam Newton, and Nick Marshall.

This is my question-has anyone heard him say anything about not being a duel-threat option qb? His quote about our system seems to say he is a duel-threat qb, so why would aTm use the idea of him not running a lot?

They should have that type of energy and passion every year IMO

You have some information that they have been taking a casual, "oh who cares" attitude towards recruiting? Please share!

He didn't say or even imply that. Give it a rest, dude.

He certainly does imply it. I see you failed 6th grade reading comprehension.

Nope, made an A; one of the reasons I was fortunate enough to graduate medical school. I also recognize a flaming a--hole pretty readily also. In this case his name is Mikey

This is my question-has anyone heard him say anything about not being a duel-threat option qb? His quote about our system seems to say he is a duel-threat qb, so why would aTm use the idea of him not running a lot?

This is funny. Nice try Sumlin.

Auburn can be whatever offense we make it.

Have Mond and his dad visit, and then have him look at some actual tape with Gus. Show him 06 @ Arkansas, 07/08 @ Tulsa, 12 @ Ark st, and 09/11 @ Auburn.

Seriously. He has 3 (great) years of running QBs and suddenly Gus is labeled. I wish people would get off it already.

Him coming to Auburn after the aTm pitch allows Gus to discusses an offense without a heavy focus on running the QB. Some of the best pro style offenses have QB draws that gash Ds. It is all about timing. It is basically play action in reverse.

If Mond has a strong arm and can throw the ball 70 yards, he doesn't have to run much.

Kinda like Marshall, huh?

If Mond has a strong arm and can throw the ball 70 yards, he doesn't have to run much.

What I was thinking

Welp, there goes the world.

If Mond is going to commit soon, it would seem a little late in the process for us not to know which type of QB he prefers to be. Gus also knows what type of QB best fits his offense and is recruiting them, ie. JF3, Barrett, Gatewood. I doubt this is even an issue at this late date. Mond either fits what Gus wants at QB or he doesn't.

I like Mond a lot but if he doesn't want to run I would get a qb that is on board to do what ever his skills and offense makes successful. I don't believe we have to be a run first qb offense but I wouldn't want to get a qb who is avoiding it.

I say that not knowing if he really said what was implied too.

:thumbsup: on the disclaimer. It's possible that his actual message was something more along the lines of "I want to prove that I can be a pocket passer, too", which is not uncommon at all among guys who have a reputation as a runner. Might not be the case *at all* here, but as you said, we don't really know. Certainly not enough for me to question the kid's thought processes at all.

I say that not knowing if he really said what was implied too.

:thumbsup: on the disclaimer. It's possible that his actual message was something more along the lines of "I want to prove that I can be a pocket passer, too", which is not uncommon at all among guys who have a reputation as a runner. Might not be the case *at all* here, but as you said, we don't really know. Certainly not enough for me to question the kid's thought processes at all.

u

Nick and Cam both threw from the pocket....they often ran because they had to.....not just as designed plays. JMO but mostly it is good for the QB to escape the rush in a positive way.

What I was thinking

Welp, there goes the world.

lol so true what the hell was I thinking........living in Orlando it just been a bad week of sorrow

Golf... I forgot you live there. Don't even know what to say other than y'all in the area have a lot of folks thinking about you.

Thanks Loof........Well luckily I did not know anyone personally who was shot but its just an awful situation. Now lets get back to trying to get Mr Mond to Auburn. ;)

Free article on Mond after his visit Link

Auburn and Texas A&M are locked in an intense -- and extremely tight -- battle for 4-star quarterback Kellen Mond of Bradenton (Fla.) of IMG Academy, he said Saturday.

Following an overnight visit with the Tigers, Mond said Auburn and the Aggies are “tied” at the top. A decision could come in the next few weeks, he added.

“I really don’t have a No. 1 right now,” Mond said. “Went to A&M last week and now Auburn this week so it’s pretty even. Just really got to get back home, talk to my parents, just kind of see what they feel with the environment., the type of offense and just weigh everything out into my decision.”

For the 6-feet-2.5, 201-pound Mond, the No. 3 dual-threat quarterback nationally in the 247Sports Composite, this was trip No. 3 to Auburn.

“The second and third visit were just trying to improve my relationship — see what Coach (Rhett) Lashlee and Coach (Gus) Malzahn have to help me get to the next level and what they can do with my career,” Mond said.

Mond, who recently de-committed from Baylor, made the trip with his father, 4-star receiver Hezekiah Jones, Jones’ father and 2019 receiver Jalen Curry. All three players are natives of Texas.

According to Mond, a couple things about Auburn stand out: Namely, his relationship with Lashlee, the Tigers’ offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach — and his like of the Auburn offense.

“Even whenever I committed (to Baylor), he was the one still recruiting me,” Mond said. “When I went to IMG, that’s kind of his area, and he recruited me there. Our relationship just kind of built on from that point. And also, the fit I have in the Auburn offense. A dual-threat guy and that’s really what makes the Auburn offense thrive.”

Mond said distance from home “isn’t anything really big.”

He said being at IMG has “made me a little more comfortable being away from home.”

Mond arrived at Auburn on Friday evening and stayed until noon Saturday.

“Went over some football stuff, watched some video … just kind of seeing Coach Malzahn’s resume with quarterbacks. That’s one thing I really took the picture of here.”

At A&M, Mond said it was big to meet the new offensive coordinator, Noel Mazzone, last week and start to build a relationship with him. The Aggies have made an extremely strong push of late.

According to Mond, whichever school he picks could land some of his friends, too.

“I know a lot of guys who are probably going to want to end up playing with me,” Mond said. “I think whatever school I chose a lot of those guys are going to want to come play with me.”

As for the Auburn and Texas A&M offenses?

“I think I fit both,” Mond said. “I wouldn’t have any preference. I think I fit both. Running the ball isn’t going to hurt me or anything else. Running the ball in the Auburn offense or just being a more of a pro quarterback in the Texas A&M offense, I think I can fit both very well.”

Mond expects to have a decision no later than July 17, but more than likely it will happen “sometime in the next two to three weeks.”

Auburn and A&M are the finalists.

The key factors?

“I would probably say comfortability and just kind of seeing how each school and each offensive coordinator and head coach can develop me into a great quarterback,” Mond said.

Archived