Tim Irvin

RunInRed

After year one i thought Roc wasn't an everydown RB. That's why i felt like Barber would lead the way starting the season. And it's just not b/c of Roc's size that i thought that. As Mikey stated it was just too much dancing at the line of scrimmage for my liking and that spin move did worry me to death everytime he did it. My only gripe was not using him effectively in other ways last year; using some of the slot & scat role last year. Especially with having QB issues that could've helped them out. KJ would've still got those touches but instead of chunking the ball 20+ yards down the field on 3rd down when we needed about 5 yards or watching yet another WR drop a pass...drop it off to Roc and let him work the field.

I just think that although he has in his mind that he's an every down RB there might and not a strong might...that we could've soften him up a little to that role if applied some last year b/c he'd go into this season knowing what kind of touches he'd likely get.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me guess, we don't want him or we don't need him right?

Losing the depth hurts. No doubt. But some seem to think we just lost an irreplaceable piece of the offensive puzzle.

I was just thinking that I'd like to hear your take on it.

you are trying to start a fight aren't you.

I don't want RT to go anywhere else......There are some legit questions about his durability and that is NOT his fault....This isn't Oxford HS....I hope it is more rumor BS....But he is a grown young man and can make up his own mind.

IMO, there is DEFINTELY a role for him to play, if he wants it.

Wow

SMH

All the chatter about him being unhappy last year, and JR/KJ have basically sealed up the job for this upcoming season, are you all that surprised?

I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen. It's been a rumor for a long time. I know he feels personally he's an every down back but he's just not IMO. However, i do feel like if we would've used him a lot more last year with getting him the ball any way we could he'd soften up to the idea to his new role b/c he'd know he was going to get his share of touches. He's deadly in open space and it is beyond me why we didn't have him involved in more screen passes, short pass and reverses; just simply move him around the field a lot. Could've help alleviate some of the QB issues. In a way if feel we helped seal the deal with him leaving. If that's the case of course.

Kerryon was doing all of that as well as or better than Roc could. And with our QB situation, there just weren't many quality touches in the passing game to go around. He just got passed by a better player. It happens.

But having someone like Roc actually helps your QB situations if coaches actually scheme a good gameplan. I agree that Kerryon took away some of his touches but the role that was created for Roc for this coming season should've easily been in place last year. KJ doesn't have the speed Roc does and if none of our QBs couldn't have thrown a 5-7 yard dump pass to Roc and let him do the rest then they shouldn't be on our roster. We simply didn't utlize him close to what we could've to help our passing issues and the issues at WR for that case. KJ primarily came out of the wildcat. I'd want to see Roc moved around....slot...screen passes..reverses...etc. Possibly allow some mismatches to be created for Roc opening up the field for us.

It seems that you wanted to see a lot of effort go into getting one guy on the offense the ball. Don't you think that would've happened if he'd demonstrated the ability to do more with those opportunities than the guys who did get the touches? What exactly is it about Roc that makes you so insistent that he can do all these things that we haven't seen him do, at least not with any consistency? Robinson is a better every down back. Johnson is a better utility back (if Roc is so amazing, why wasn't he getting the wildcat snaps?). Ricardo Louis was a better speed back. Other guys did all the things that you want Gus and Rhett to rearrange their entire offense in order to let Roc do.

Dude was given the opportunity to do exactly what you want on the first offensive play of the biggest game of his freshman season. He literally dropped the ball (and didn't even try to recover it, even though it was super close to being a lateral pass).

Roc Thomas did absolutely nothing at Auburn to justify this superstar tag some of you are trying to place on him. He started out being pretty ineffective and was slowly getting better. Kerryon Johnson was an impact player the day he stepped on campus, and they didn't have to "create a role" for him for it to happen. We are losing depth. We are not losing a difference maker.

Oh, and who cares if Kerryon is a tenth of a second or two slower than Roc. He's clearly a far more effective football player with the ball in his hands. I'm as sorry as anybody that Roc's not going to turn the SEC into his personal video game like he did in high school, but that's not Auburn's fault. Good running backs succeed under Gus Malzahn. Roc didn't. Sucks for him.

How is it a lot of effort when our offense sucked? Our QBs couldn't complete passes consistently over 15+ yards. You act like l'm saying give Roc 15-20 touches a game. That's not even close to what i'm saying. I'm saying that with a player as electrifying as Roc utilizing him in a certain way could've opened up other areas of our offense b/c what he presents. It could've helped with the double and triple coverage our QBs continually throw INTs and helped with the defense not cheating and loading the box on us thus opening up the running game even more. It's not hard to understand and it's only simple modifications i'm speaking of.

I never thought of him as a true RB. You've completely missed what i'm trying to convey. I'm not saying take away carries from KJ or Jovon but to act like he couldn't be fit into other areas of the offense just b/c the other two guys are ahead of him i don't understand. Our offense and WRs were awful. The notion that he fumbled a lot is funny to me though but people love that notion with him i see. I'm not lobbying for Roc to be a 15-20 carry RB...only to get touches in the offense no matter what capacity it might be 8-10 times a game. Don't see how that takes away from what Jovon or KJ provides.

Losing the depth hurts. No doubt. But some seem to think we just lost an irreplaceable piece of the offensive puzzle.

Not irreplaceable but could be a key piece to really opening up the offense. That can be done without taking away touches from Jovon or KJ. I think Truitt or Ryan Davis can play the role if Roc leaves.

Wow

SMH

All the chatter about him being unhappy last year, and JR/KJ have basically sealed up the job for this upcoming season, are you all that surprised?

I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen. It's been a rumor for a long time. I know he feels personally he's an every down back but he's just not IMO. However, i do feel like if we would've used him a lot more last year with getting him the ball any way we could he'd soften up to the idea to his new role b/c he'd know he was going to get his share of touches. He's deadly in open space and it is beyond me why we didn't have him involved in more screen passes, short pass and reverses; just simply move him around the field a lot. Could've help alleviate some of the QB issues. In a way if feel we helped seal the deal with him leaving. If that's the case of course.

Kerryon was doing all of that as well as or better than Roc could. And with our QB situation, there just weren't many quality touches in the passing game to go around. He just got passed by a better player. It happens.

But having someone like Roc actually helps your QB situations if coaches actually scheme a good gameplan. I agree that Kerryon took away some of his touches but the role that was created for Roc for this coming season should've easily been in place last year. KJ doesn't have the speed Roc does and if none of our QBs couldn't have thrown a 5-7 yard dump pass to Roc and let him do the rest then they shouldn't be on our roster. We simply didn't utlize him close to what we could've to help our passing issues and the issues at WR for that case. KJ primarily came out of the wildcat. I'd want to see Roc moved around....slot...screen passes..reverses...etc. Possibly allow some mismatches to be created for Roc opening up the field for us.

It seems that you wanted to see a lot of effort go into getting one guy on the offense the ball. Don't you think that would've happened if he'd demonstrated the ability to do more with those opportunities than the guys who did get the touches? What exactly is it about Roc that makes you so insistent that he can do all these things that we haven't seen him do, at least not with any consistency? Robinson is a better every down back. Johnson is a better utility back (if Roc is so amazing, why wasn't he getting the wildcat snaps?). Ricardo Louis was a better speed back. Other guys did all the things that you want Gus and Rhett to rearrange their entire offense in order to let Roc do.

Dude was given the opportunity to do exactly what you want on the first offensive play of the biggest game of his freshman season. He literally dropped the ball (and didn't even try to recover it, even though it was super close to being a lateral pass).

Roc Thomas did absolutely nothing at Auburn to justify this superstar tag some of you are trying to place on him. He started out being pretty ineffective and was slowly getting better. Kerryon Johnson was an impact player the day he stepped on campus, and they didn't have to "create a role" for him for it to happen. We are losing depth. We are not losing a difference maker.

Oh, and who cares if Kerryon is a tenth of a second or two slower than Roc. He's clearly a far more effective football player with the ball in his hands. I'm as sorry as anybody that Roc's not going to turn the SEC into his personal video game like he did in high school, but that's not Auburn's fault. Good running backs succeed under Gus Malzahn. Roc didn't. Sucks for him.

He's not a power RB so why would we put him in the wildcat. I didn't say put him in the wildcat. I said...slot...RB screens and reverses. How is it rearranging when we already run those plays? It's just different personnel. How many screens and reverses or even bubble passes for that fact did KJ or Jovon run? But it was still in our playbook. lol. The same things i'm mentioning Gus eluded to but he always stated Jason Smith was going to be that guy and it never happened to the degree he wanted it to so i don't see how it's rearranging an offense for one player when it's already in place and coaches wanted to run more of it.

Someone posted a stat in regards to our running backs and how many carries they had per fumble. Anyone remember what those numbers were? He is not irreplaceable but he had something you absolutely need with Gus calling an offense - big play ability.

I'm saying that with a player as electrifying as Roc utilizing him in a certain way could've opened up other areas of our offense b/c what he presents. It could've helped with the double and triple coverage our QBs continually throw INTs and helped with the defense not cheating and loading the box on us thus opening up the running game even more. It's not hard to understand and it's only simple modifications i'm speaking of.

First, apologies for my tone. You didn't deserve smarta** Loof. Second, I get what you're saying. I just think those things would've happened if Roc were truly 1) interested in accepting that role and 2) capable of consistently performing it at a high level.

And I keep bringing up KJ because he is an example of a young guy who they did trust to do some different things in an effort to mask the offense's weaknesses a bit. Gus has a track record of finding ways to get his playmakers the ball. I'm willing to trust that if Roc were really that electrifying of a team player, he would've gotten the ball.

Wow

SMH

Roster management is an area where Gus is still in the learning phase.

Agree. Good talent to lose but i think Truitt or Ryan Davis could be options if we do lose Roc for that role. I know it was designed mostly for Roc but i'd still like to see that element in the offense b/c we have several speed guys that can really work the field when given space.

roc can motion out of the backfield and be a legit wr or line up wide motion in and be a all around rb. No one else has that.

He doesn't want to do that though. He wants to be RB1.

Not irreplaceable but could be a key piece to really opening up the offense. That can be done without taking away touches from Jovon or KJ. I think Truitt or Ryan Davis can play the role if Roc leaves.

I think Truitt's injury is a neglected piece of the 2015 narrative. He was starting to show flashes.

I'm saying that with a player as electrifying as Roc utilizing him in a certain way could've opened up other areas of our offense b/c what he presents. It could've helped with the double and triple coverage our QBs continually throw INTs and helped with the defense not cheating and loading the box on us thus opening up the running game even more. It's not hard to understand and it's only simple modifications i'm speaking of.

First, apologies for my tone. You didn't deserve smarta** Loof. Second, I get what you're saying. I just think those things would've happened if Roc were truly 1) interested in accepting that role and 2) capable of consistently performing it at a high level.

And I keep bringing up KJ because he is an example of a young guy who they did trust to do some different things in an effort to mask the offense's weaknesses a bit. Gus has a track record of finding ways to get his playmakers the ball. I'm willing to trust that if Roc were really that electrifying of a team player, he would've gotten the ball.

All good. And i agree with you on the first point b/c i do believe Roc is stubborn to the fact he's simply not an every down RB to pass Jovon or KJ. By no means do i want to eliminate what KJ does. I just differ on the part about Gus finding enough ways for him to be involved thus why it was a focal point in creating that slot/scat role for Roc b/c Gus understood after last season that Roc could open up some things for the offense. We had no home run threat with the passing game so he's trying to find other ways to do that.

All this may be for nothing as it's not official yet but all is certainly not loss if he leaves.

Wow

SMH

Agree. Good talent to lose but i think Truitt or Ryan Davis could be options if we do lose Roc for that role. I know it was designed mostly for Roc but i'd still like to see that element in the offense b/c we have several speed guys that can really work the field when given space.

roc can motion out of the backfield and be a legit wr or line up wide motion in and be a all around rb. No one else has that.

Agree. He's just not a RB1.

Wow

SMH

Thought that had already been pointed out, everyone must've missed it. Also, what are the chances that Cox and/or Pettway passed him on the depth chart coming out of Spring?

How come (most of) the back ups at other schools are ok with alternating snaps?

Roc was a 5* RB out of high school. He does not see himself or expected to be a back up or slot role player going into his Jr year. If he transfers I can't blame him. He will get a lot more touches & will have the role he wants.

Wow

SMH

Thought that had already been pointed out, everyone must've missed it. Also, what are the chances that Cox and/or Pettway passed him on the depth chart coming out of Spring?

I didn't see it in this thread. It's discussed in a few. It's a very real possibility 1 of the FBs passed him in the between the tackles role.

Cox is a threat in the passing game. Pettway can run. Both can block.

And both were impressive carrying the ball during A Day. I was surprised at their speed.

Optimistic about those guys.

Wow

SMH

he is an injury away from a RB1. Will get touches on ESPN or cbs every week. At Jax st he will get what two games on tv. Till playoffs..no way it adds up for him.

he is an injury away from a RB1. Will get touches on ESPN or cbs every week. At Jax st he will get what two games on tv. Till playoffs..no way it adds up for him.

+1

And should we even consider the academic side of things? A degree from AU vs JaxState?

Wow

SMH

He visited JSU as a high school senior to compliment his high school coach's first signing class as HC at JSU. Plus JSU is close to Oxford. So transferring to JSU isn't surprising.

Wow

SMH

Seems more like 2 or 3 injuries away. Remember RB 1 means a good number of between the tackles touches.

Archived