Tim Irvin

RunInRed

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow

SMH

All the chatter about him being unhappy last year, and JR/KJ have basically sealed up the job for this upcoming season, are you all that surprised?

Yes. Very. Totally forgot about the chatter until now.

Wow

SMH

All the chatter about him being unhappy last year, and JR/KJ have basically sealed up the job for this upcoming season, are you all that surprised?

I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen. It's been a rumor for a long time. I know he feels personally he's an every down back but he's just not IMO. However, i do feel like if we would've used him a lot more last year with getting him the ball any way we could he'd soften up to the idea to his new role b/c he'd know he was going to get his share of touches. He's deadly in open space and it is beyond me why we didn't have him involved in more screen passes, short pass and reverses; just simply move him around the field a lot. Could've help alleviate some of the QB issues. In a way if feel we helped seal the deal with him leaving. If that's the case of course.

Roster management is an area where Gus is still in the learning phase.

If he leaves, I'll be curious to hear what the folks closer to the program have to say about it.

Gus addressed this publicity after the Birmingham Bowl game when Roc sent out his tweets and then deleted them. Gus said Roc was definitely staying at AU and any rumor of his transferring were absolutely untrue. Now here we are 5 months later with the same rumors?

5 months later, I wouldn't call them the same rumors.

And? It was after the bowl game and Roc pretty much sent out tweets that it was his final game in O&B. When the media questioned Gus he squashed the notion. One would think that in the last 5 months the coaching staff could've been able to make Roc feel needed and wanted in this offense and make every effort to keep him on the team to help whoever the hell will be starting at QB for us in the Fall?

Wow

SMH

I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen. It's been a rumor for a long time. I know he feels personally he's an every down back but he's just not IMO. However, i do feel like if we would've used him a lot more last year with getting him the ball any way we could he'd soften up to the idea to his new role b/c he'd know he was going to get his share of touches. He's deadly in open space and it is beyond me why we didn't have him involved in more screen passes, short pass and reverses; just simply move him around the field a lot. Could've help alleviate some of the QB issues. In a way if feel we helped seal the deal with him leaving. If that's the case of course.

Kerryon was doing all of that as well as or better than Roc could. And with our QB situation, there just weren't many quality touches in the passing game to go around. He just got passed by a better player. It happens.

I hope it doesn't happen. He has some versatility and we don't need to get thinner at RBs I really like him.

One would think that in the last 5 months the coaching staff could've been able to make Roc feel needed and wanted in this offense and make every effort to keep him on the team

Perhaps they made him feel exactly as wanted as he is, and perhaps he wants more love than they have for him.

A lot is up for debate when it comes to Gus. Successful running backs is not one of those things. I'm going to give Gus (and Tim Horton) the benefit of the doubt every single day and twice on Sunday when it comes to his running backs.

I hope it doesn't happen. He has some versatility and we don't need to get thinner at RBs I really like him.

Yep. He provides valuable depth. 3rd isn't that deep on the chart for a running back. Who knows, though, maybe Pettway had passed him, too.

And? It was after the bowl game and Roc pretty much sent out tweets that it was his final game in O&B. When the media questioned Gus he squashed the notion. One would think that in the last 5 months the coaching staff could've been able to make Roc feel needed and wanted in this offense and make every effort to keep him on the team to help whoever the hell will be starting at QB for us in the Fall?

Sorry, I thought you were posting the article thinking it was released today(as some are apt to do).

One would think that in the last 5 months the coaching staff could've been able to make Roc feel needed and wanted in this offense and make every effort to keep him on the team

Perhaps they made him feel exactly as wanted as he was, and perhaps he wanted more love than they had for him.

A lot is up for debate when it comes to Gus. Successful running backs is not one of those things. I'm going to give Gus (and Tim Horton) the benefit of the doubt every single day and twice on Sunday when it comes to his running backs.

Perhaps they made him feel exactly as wanted as he was, and perhaps he wanted more love than they had for him.

Completely agree. Plenty of questions. This is not one of them.

Perhaps they made him feel exactly as wanted as he is, and perhaps he wants more love than they have for him.

Agreed. I don't know how they're supposed to treat him. Gus can't bounce two other better RBs down on the depth chart because they're afraid of hurting his feelings. They also can't fill Roc's head with BS, having him think that he's going be carrying the ball more. The split might have been mutual.

Not sure I really understand this criticism. If Thomas leaves, it's his choice. If he's not the starter, it's not Gus' fault unless he deliberately deceived him about being the starter. I have no doubt Thomas was told he would start by 2015 and on during recruiting - with his talent, I'd be surprised if the coaches didn't believe that as well. But when he started to have injury issues and fumble issues (which are a bit overblown certainly), the coaches go with someone else or go with the hot hand. It's a business and it seems like a lot of players don't quite understand that. If Thomas is upset and wants to go because he's not the starter, that's his problem. I don't see how he's been misused by the coaches if he's just not the every-down back that Barber or Robinson are and they can't force him to be one.

Agreed. I don't know how they're supposed to treat him. Gus can't bounce two other better RBs down on the depth chart because they're afraid of hurting his feelings. They also can't fill Roc's head with BS, having him think that he's going be carrying the ball more. The split might have been mutual.

Exactly.

And there will be debate as to whether or not those other two guys are better than him, but people on one side of that debate are willing to trust the results they've seen on the field and the architects of one of the most consistently successful run games in college football, and people on the other side are probably still running Thomas's recruiting tape in their heads. To be fair to them, it's some of the most impressive high school film I've seen. Just hasn't translated to the field yet, at least not in our offense (an offense that claims a very healthy number of NFL alumni).

Is Malik Miller a summer enrollee? Asking for a friend...

Wow

SMH

Agree. Good talent to lose but i think Truitt or Ryan Davis could be options if we do lose Roc for that role. I know it was designed mostly for Roc but i'd still like to see that element in the offense b/c we have several speed guys that can really work the field when given space.

Exactly.

And there will be debate as to whether or not those other two guys are better than him, but people on one side of that debate are willing to trust the results they've seen on the field and the architects of one of the most consistently successful run games in college football, and people on the other side are probably still running Thomas's recruiting tape in their heads. To be fair to them, it's some of the most impressive high school film I've seen. Just hasn't translated to the field yet, at least not in our offense (an offense that claims a very healthy number of NFL alumni).

Is Malik Miller a summer enrollee? Asking for a friend...

I'm sure you're right on every aspect of this McLoofus and Auburn will be fine. The constant rumor mill is taxing, a month about Eli Jenkins transferring from JaxSt to AU and now Roc Thomas transferring from AU to JaxSt?

Wow

SMH

Kerryon was doing all of that as well as or better than Roc could. And with our QB situation, there just weren't many quality touches in the passing game to go around. He just got passed by a better player. It happens.

But having someone like Roc actually helps your QB situations if coaches actually scheme a good gameplan. I agree that Kerryon took away some of his touches but the role that was created for Roc for this coming season should've easily been in place last year. KJ doesn't have the speed Roc does and if none of our QBs couldn't have thrown a 5-7 yard dump pass to Roc and let him do the rest then they shouldn't be on our roster. We simply didn't utlize him close to what we could've to help our passing issues and the issues at WR for that case. KJ primarily came out of the wildcat. I'd want to see Roc moved around....slot...screen passes..reverses...etc. Possibly allow some mismatches to be created for Roc opening up the field for us.

Wow

SMH

Agree. Good talent to lose but i think Truitt or Ryan Davis could be options if we do lose Roc for that role. I know it was designed mostly for Roc but i'd still like to see that element in the offense b/c we have several speed guys that can really work the field when given space.

roc can motion out of the backfield and be a legit wr or line up wide motion in and be a all around rb. No one else has that.

This is the time of year when most schools have some attrition. Guys go through Spring training, see they haven't/won't move up the depth chart and look for some other place where they can excel. When Kerryon Johnson took most of Roc's playing time last season, I thought then that Roc was on countdown to be gone. Watch Roc's's game tapes: his frequently used spin move is a guarantee of future fumbles and or injuries and he cannot seem to stop using it. That should be a once a season move, not three times a game. Then there's the fact that he's not a power back. Put him in and the opposition knows what's coming.

As happy as i was when he signed with us, after watching a couple of years i just don't see where he would help.

Quote:"roc can motion out of the backfield and be a legit wr or line up wide motion in and be a all around rb. No one else has that." I'd say Truitt, K. Johnson or JF3, assuming JF3 isn't taking the snaps at QB.

Wow

SMH

But having someone like Roc actually helps your QB situations if coaches actually scheme a good gameplan. I agree that Kerryon took away some of his touches but the role that was created for Roc for this coming season should've easily been in place last year. KJ doesn't have the speed Roc does and if none of our QBs couldn't have thrown a 5-7 yard dump pass to Roc and let him do the rest then they shouldn't be on our roster. We simply didn't utlize him close to what we could've to help our passing issues and the issues at WR for that case. KJ primarily came out of the wildcat. I'd want to see Roc moved around....slot...screen passes..reverses...etc. Possibly allow some mismatches to be created for Roc opening up the field for us.

It seems that you wanted to see a lot of effort go into getting one guy on the offense the ball. Don't you think that would've happened if he'd demonstrated the ability to do more with those opportunities than the guys who did get the touches? What exactly is it about Roc that makes you so insistent that he can do all these things that we haven't seen him do, at least not with any consistency? Robinson is a better every down back. Johnson is a better utility back (if Roc is so amazing, why wasn't he getting the wildcat snaps?). Ricardo Louis was a better speed back. Other guys did all the things that you want Gus and Rhett to rearrange their entire offense in order to let Roc do.

Dude was given the opportunity to do exactly what you want on the first offensive play of the biggest game of his freshman season. He literally dropped the ball (and didn't even try to recover it, even though it was super close to being a lateral pass).

Roc Thomas did absolutely nothing at Auburn to justify this superstar tag some of you are trying to place on him. He started out being pretty ineffective and was slowly getting better. Kerryon Johnson was an impact player the day he stepped on campus, and they didn't have to "create a role" for him for it to happen. We are losing depth. We are not losing a difference maker.

Oh, and who cares if Kerryon is a tenth of a second or two slower than Roc. He's clearly a far more effective football player with the ball in his hands. I'm as sorry as anybody that Roc's not going to turn the SEC into his personal video game like he did in high school, but that's not Auburn's fault. Good running backs succeed under Gus Malzahn. Roc didn't. Sucks for him.

Wow

SMH

roc can motion out of the backfield and be a legit wr or line up wide motion in and be a all around rb. No one else has that.

Good point. I certainly liked that idea a lot with Roc and was hoping to see more of it last year.

Archived