Tim Irvin

RunInRed

Look at last season. He started off playing a significant amount and as the season progressed his playing time per game got less and less. I was more than a little concerned about what was going on with him back then. Something was not normal. If a true freshman is doing well in practice and on the field you'd expect his P.T. to increase. Irvin's decreased.

Here's hoping he has better luck at his next stop.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bird also left off Marshall Taylor. He's going to be (at minimum) a rotation guy at CB/Nickel. Irvin wasn't going to play a lot this year. He is a talented guy though. Always hate to see talented guys leave. Best of luck to him at his next stop.

Another EE spot lol

No. TI was an EE counting to the 2014 class. Even if he counted in the 15 class he does not open up more room for an EE specifically. It opens up a spot onm the 85 and no more initial counters can count to 2014 or 2015.

Most of the ones you mentioned are corners

Tim was never going to play corner. He was going to play the nickle/star type role. Holsey and Ford are far better than Irvin was going to be this year.

Trey

Roberts

Ford

Ruffin

Boston

Holsey

Are all safeties that had worked their way ahead of Tim. Don't get me wrong, he was good and added depth, but he wasn't going to contribute much this year in the back end. Just my .02

And Taylor may play some Nickel/safety too. That's up to 7 ahead of TI for 3 playing spots.

Tim was never going to play corner. He was going to play the nickle/star type role. Holsey and Ford are far better than Irvin was going to be this year.

Trey

Roberts

Ford

Ruffin

Boston

Holsey

Are all safeties that had worked their way ahead of Tim. Don't get me wrong, he was good and added depth, but he wasn't going to contribute much this year in the back end.

Again that's not great depth if Injuries happen. Boston is a bench player, Irvin would contribute more than Boston. I like Rudy if he moved down to nickel but will our other safety be able to pick up the slack alongside tray? If Holsey faced another injury Irvin is right in the fold. Btw I consider NB a corner and not a safety which is why I listed corners

Trust BB's info here. He gets it from very good sources. If he says Boston moved ahead of TI then it is very likely true. Rudy moved to nickel late last year & was there all Spring. Not sure who NB is but if it's NR as in Ruffin, he is a safety. I can't remember the last time he was at CB.

Trey

Roberts

Ford

Ruffin

Boston

Holsey

Are all safeties that had worked their way ahead of Tim. Don't get me wrong, he was good and added depth, but he wasn't going to contribute much this year in the back end.

Again that's not great depth if Injuries happen. Boston is a bench player, Irvin would contribute more than Boston. I like Rudy if he moved down to nickel but will our other safety be able to pick up the slack alongside tray? If Holsey faced another injury Irvin is right in the fold. Btw I consider NB a corner and not a safety which is why I listed corners

Trust BB's info here. He gets it from very good sources. If he says Boston moved ahead of TI then it is very likely true. Rudy moved to nickel late last year & was there all Spring. Not sure who NB is but if it's NR as in Ruffin, he is a safety. I can't remember the last time he was at CB.

BB and E are correct. Playing time over the next couple of years was tracking to nothing. Roberts and Ruffin did more than adequate last year. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the starters.

This was a kid I was very excited that we got. Hate that we don't get to see how he would have panned out with a full career here. Other than some issue no one knows about, I'd have to agree with others and say it's a playing time situation. It happens.

Same Jeff... Wtf. We don't have great DB depth. I don't understand it

Glad someone understands this. Going back and forth with some AU fans on FB who are saying we're so deep in the secondary. I hope TJ and Holsey can contribute but they've missed a lot of live action. I know he's not a CB but Josh has moved around a lot. Some made it seem like Irvin was very deep on the depth chart. Irvin came in as a true Freshman and was able to provide good contribution. This one hurts in regards to depth for sure.

I absolutely hate this. There was a reason Muschamp and TRob were all over this kid. Sure Rudy will probably start at his position, but he is a Sr and only has one season remaining. Irvin will have to sit a year. This doesn't add up. There has to be something behind the scenes that I am confident we will never find out. It just sucks any way you try and spin it

Agree. Even though he wasn't going to start it's hard to believe he wouldn't get significant playing time in the rotation considering he contributed last season. I understand he's a Muschamp guy but the kid was a thumper for his size. Certainly not up in arms about it and wish him the best but sucks for our depth.

His reps were diminishing as spring ball went on. It had nothing to do with what Tim did, but everything to do with the other guys improving and earning it.

Trey

Roberts

Ford

Ruffin

Boston

Holsey

NB= Nickel back lol

I do trust BB's info but from what I saw from Irvin I just don't see Boston being a better option but that's just me.

I do trust BB's info but from what I saw from Irvin I just don't see Boston being a better option but that's just me.

So why do you suppose Boston passed Irvin on the depth chart?

After reading everything in this thread, my takeaway is "Auburn's talent level in the secondary is such that a talented guy like Tim Irvin wasn't going to play this year." I'll cop to leaning sunny, but I view this as an overall positive reflection on the state of the defense.

I think PT and depth were the reason he is leaving. However the depth may be illusory because some of that depth is based on people coming back from injury and being able to compete effectively. I liked this kid but as others said last year he played more at beginning of season and he appeared to move down the chart as spring went on. I wish he had stayed but I understand why he thinks this is a good move and I hope he does well in future as long as he does not do well in a game if he is playing against Auburn.

So why do you suppose Boston passed Irvin on the depth chart?

After reading everything in this thread, my takeaway is "Auburn's talent level in the secondary is such that a talented guy like Tim Irvin wasn't going to play this year." I'll cop to leaning sunny, but I view this as an overall positive reflection on the state of the defense.

I tend to agree with this. Others were getting the reps. Also I think Boston has better measurable doesn't he? 6'0 compared to 5'9"?

I am more worried about Roc Thomas leaving than Irvin.

If the rumors are true, and they sure look that way according to a few other sites, here is the bottom line.... he was not willing to be the speed sweep guy or the slot receiver and he should transfer out. Roc is very talented in space - maybe the most talented player on the team in the open field - and he will burn the teams in JSU's conference because they are inferior. But let's be real here - he was not going to start at primary RB and KJ had already taken that spot away from him next year. He also seemed to get hurt a little too often and he had had a few bad fumbles. I thought the speed sweep would be PERFECT for him - in open space taking it to the house. He was the closing thing to a "home run" threat we had. But is seems he did not like the move.

If he was not willing to be the speed sweep guy or the slot receiver, he should transfer out. Roc is very talented in space - maybe the most talented player on the team in the open field - and he will burn the teams in JSU's conference because they are inferior. But let's be real here - he was not going to start at primary RB and KJ had already taken that spot away from him next year.

Add that if we see HB play as they did during A Day, his role would probably shrink further. So I wouldn't blame him if he did decide to go somewhere else where he could find more playing time.

2nd mention I've heard but neither from a news source. What's the story?

Report coming from Jeffrey Lee on this. That's all I know. Potential transfer to Jacksonville State University.

Well, I'll be bummed if it doesn't work out with him. Was really excited about him coming in and the on-field product was getting better. The bad play to open the '14 IB left a really bad taste in my mouth- big time players just don't do that in that spot, even freshmen- but he is/was turning into a nice change of pace guy with potential to put it all together. Looked like he was starting to enjoy contact, too. Jovon's gone after this year and it seems like Roc was going to get touches this year, too.

If he leaves, I'll be curious to hear what the folks closer to the program have to say about it.

If he leaves, I'll be curious to hear what the folks closer to the program have to say about it.

Gus addressed this publicity after the Birmingham Bowl game when Roc sent out his tweets and then deleted them. Gus said Roc was definitely staying at AU and any rumor of his transferring were absolutely untrue. Now here we are 5 months later with the same rumors?

Wow

SMH

All the chatter about him being unhappy last year, and JR/KJ have basically sealed up the job for this upcoming season, are you all that surprised?

I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen. It's been a rumor for a long time. I know he feels personally he's an every down back but he's just not IMO. However, i do feel like if we would've used him a lot more last year with getting him the ball any way we could he'd soften up to the idea to his new role b/c he'd know he was going to get his share of touches. He's deadly in open space and it is beyond me why we didn't have him involved in more screen passes, short pass and reverses; just simply move him around the field a lot. Could've help alleviate some of the QB issues. In a way if feel we helped seal the deal with him leaving. If that's the case of course.

Archived