WCWS Softball vs. Georgia - Game thread

That is why Carosone is an MVP - she was on for the game, came through when needed but her mental awareness (taking 3rd on a caught foul ball because nobody was covering) and then making uga play her instead of turning a double play (which would have not allowed Cooper to score).

Coopers numbers have gotten her all the POY attention and well deserved but I can also see why Carosone gets the MVP all the time.

I think the All-SEC snub fired her up. She's been the post-season MVP by far.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a great day! Bama is out of the CWS and we break the pups heart for 3 of our 4 wins against them.

I like tha game 2 dog whoopin better personally.

Oh me too. I would love to do that in our next game, but we will play either FSU, OK, or Mich next. That's a tough group.

I'm checking in late. I wish there was a camera shot of the play at first. If he did stop her from going to the dugout (I have no idea why she would assume she was out)and it was indeed the correct call it would have to be very fragrant for me to call it in such a crucial spot in a crucial game.

Does anyone know who made the call the first base or home plate umpire?

I admit I have a limited knowledge of the softball rule book, but I know for a fact there is no such thing as a baseline between 1st and 2nd OR between 2nd and 3rd. It's called the base PATH. I agree that Carosone was probably out of the base path but the call on Scott Woodard touching rhodes is a bit suspect. There was no intent there. He didn't interfere with the play at all. All he did was stop rhodes from going to the dugout. I don't see how that is interference or illegal. Would like a rule reference for that one. Auburn gained no advantage by him touches or grabbing Rhodes. NONE. She wasn't going to be tagged out as she's in foul territory and made no effort at all to advance.

So I think they got the call wrong regardless: As stated there is no "baseline" from 1st to 2nd there is a base path and that base path is what the runner makes it to be, since the ball was fielded in the "baseline" from 1st to 2nd she had to run in front and that line was the base path. I am not sure she moved 3 feet from her defined path and therefore was good to go, she was still out due to the toss but to come back with the call out of the base path was stupid she was out regardless. What they should have done as just mention the touching and explained that there was not need to call the runner out due to path issues unless UGA had questioned it. I also didn't see the ump raise his hand indicated a she ran out of the path. Horrible

I'm checking in late. I wish there was a camera shot of the play at first. If he did stop her from going to the dugout (I have no idea why she would assume she was out)and it was indeed the correct call it would have to be very fragrant for me to call it in such a crucial spot in a crucial game.

I believe the plate ump made the call and it would have happened way after the play was dead since she ran all the way to the outfield and turned and walked back towards first after that no video for me

I admit I have a limited knowledge of the softball rule book, but I know for a fact there is no such thing as a baseline between 1st and 2nd OR between 2nd and 3rd. It's called the base PATH. I agree that Carosone was probably out of the base path but the call on Scott Woodard touching rhodes is a bit suspect. There was no intent there. He didn't interfere with the play at all. All he did was stop rhodes from going to the dugout. I don't see how that is interference or illegal. Would like a rule reference for that one. Auburn gained no advantage by him touches or grabbing Rhodes. NONE. She wasn't going to be tagged out as she's in foul territory and made no effort at all to advance.

The relevant rule reads:

7.09(i) It is interference when ... in the judgment of the umpire, the base coach at third base, or first base, by touching or holding the runner, physically assists that runner in returning to or leaving third base or first base.

The key to properly applying this rule is that the base coach must physically assist the runner for interference to be called. Thus, interference should not be called if, for example, the base coach "high fives" the batter following a home run, since this does not constitute physical assistance.

On the other hand, interference may be called if a base coach pushes a runner towards a base, stops a runner who has overrun a base, helps a player to his feet while the ball is live, physically stops a runner who has missed a base, etc.

Now that I think about it, Clint does low five the HR hitters and that's OK. The way this is written makes me think that the situation tonight is a judgement call and since we cannot see how close Jade was or when and how she was "assisted", it's impossible to know if the right call was made.

Either way, Jade should be more aware of the situation and should be listening if she's not sure.

It does not matter who made the call. Kasey Cooper saw it & explained it eloquently, the announcers, which included 2 of the best US softball players in history, couldn't. If Kasey says Coach Woodard stopped Jade from going in the dugout after she thought she was out then he did.

So I think they got the call wrong regardless: As stated there is no "baseline" from 1st to 2nd there is a base path and that base path is what the runner makes it to be, since the ball was fielded in the "baseline" from 1st to 2nd she had to run in front and that line was the base path. I am not sure she moved 3 feet from her defined path and therefore was good to go, she was still out due to the toss but to come back with the call out of the base path was stupid she was out regardless. What they should have done as just mention the touching and explained that there was not need to call the runner out due to path issues unless UGA had questioned it. I also didn't see the ump raise his hand indicated a she ran out of the path. Horrible

I think it was pretty clear she moved 3 feet to her left. When she hopped, it appear she move quite a bit to her left. I have no problem with that call and I'm always the first to get on the umps when they screw up. But I could be wrong, I'm just saying what I think I saw.

The relevant rule reads:

7.09(i) It is interference when ... in the judgment of the umpire, the base coach at third base, or first base, by touching or holding the runner, physically assists that runner in returning to or leaving third base or first base.

The key to properly applying this rule is that the base coach must physically assist the runner for interference to be called. Thus, interference should not be called if, for example, the base coach "high fives" the batter following a home run, since this does not constitute physical assistance.

On the other hand, interference may be called if a base coach pushes a runner towards a base, stops a runner who has overrun a base, helps a player to his feet while the ball is live, physically stops a runner who has missed a base, etc.

I know you hate my guts POD but thank you for this.

It answers a question I immediately had right after the interference call. I wondered if CSW could have yelled at Jade to get back on first. According to the above rule, yes he could.

I think it was pretty clear she moved 3 feet to her left. When she hopped, it appear she move quite a bit to her left. I have no problem with that call and I'm always the first to get on the umps when they screw up. But I could be wrong, I'm just saying what I think I saw.

She did & she know she did. She did it on purpose to buy time so Kasey could score. I have only watched AU softball for 4 years biy I would be shocked if Emily is not the best base runner AU has had in it's 19 year history.

The relevant rule reads:

It answers a question I immediately had right after the interference call. I wondered if CSW could have yelled at Jade to get back on first. According to the above rule, yes he could.

Of course he could, that would be no different than him yelling at her to run to second on a passed ball. If I had to guess, the emotion of taking the lead and the fact the play was essentially dead probably lead him to just grab instead of instruct. It's grey to me reading the rule, but not necessarily the wrong call.

The relevant rule reads:

...,It's grey to me reading the rule, but not necessarily the wrong call.

I think it is gray for all of us to read in the post above .... :)

I have looked at the bracket and can't figure out, just who play an elimination game tomorrow for us to play the winner and then we need to win one of two games to go to the Championship series?

I have looked at the bracket and can't figure out, just who play an elimination game tomorrow for us to play the winner and then we need to win one of two games to go to the Championship series?

Yep. We play the winner of FSU vs the loser of OU/UM. If we win that game, we go to the series. If we lose, it forces another game for winner take all spot in final series. Treated like a regional.

The loser of the OU-Mich game being played now has to play FSU at noon tomorrow. The winner of that game has to beat us 2 straight times, tomorrow at 6 PM, then Monday at 6 PM if necrssary.

The video was finally shown of the contact between jade and coach during the game that's on. It looked like a celebration handshake, not leaving for the dugout. I will take Cooper's word on it but through observation it doesn't look like she was leaving the base. Unless she thought we were the home team and just had a walk off.

The video was finally shown of the contact between jade and coach during the game that's on. It looked like a celebration handshake, not leaving for the dugout. I will take Cooper's word on it but through observation it doesn't look like she was leaving the base.

I don't know. CSW's smile at the OU game looked like the perverbial cat that got the canary.

Okies got the jump on Mich with 3 in the first...Mich with a little rally in the 2nd

Ellitor, I didn't see the interview, I left the motel as soon as the game was over. Playing in a tournament myself. Which ump made the call is irrelevant , but just on a hunch with the 1st base ump not making the call it tells me it was a little after the fact. I was just trying to piece together what happened without having a clue what happened.

The base running was brilliant. She prevented a double play.

Thanks it just seemed strange the way they switch teams between the two brackets.

They do it to break up the monotony of the brackets & to decrease the chances of 2 teams playing each other 3 times before the final series.

y

No. It's not suspect. The play is still live and Rhodes started to walk to the dugout because she must have thought she was out or it was 3 outs. A coach CAN't touch a player in live play period. He could have cost us the winning run.

Actually MY opinion is that it is VERY suspect. Whether you agree or not doesn't matter. It's my opinion and you are talking to someone that officiates (although not softball or baseball) and has for over 25 years. There's a little thing you learn in officiating that spans all sports and its called advantage/disadvantage. Sure, by the letter of the law, the call was probably correct, but by applying common sense, there was clearly no advantage gained. The player was in foul territory. The player NEVER made an attempt to advance to the next base. There are often times common sense is applied with making a ruling. I never said the call was out right wrong. I said it was suspect based on the reasons I mentioned here and already in this thread.

Another thing to consider here is after the run scores, Rhodes is the only player on base. How do we know the umpires hadn't already called time while Rhodes was off the base? Answer: We don't know that. Video footage of the field and the situation at 1st apparently doesn't exist so we won't ever know.

Regardless, I'm glad we got the run and we held on in the bottom half to win the game. That's really all that matters at this point.

y

No. It's not suspect. The play is still live and Rhodes started to walk to the dugout because she must have thought she was out or it was 3 outs. A coach CAN't touch a player in live play period. He could have cost us the winning run.

Actually MY opinion is that it is VERY suspect. Whether you agree or not doesn't matter. It's my opinion and you are talking to someone that officiates (although not softball or baseball) and has for over 25 years. There's a little thing you learn in officiating that spans all sports and its called advantage/disadvantage. Sure, by the letter of the law, the call was probably correct, but by applying common sense, there was clearly no advantage gained. The player was in foul territory. The player NEVER made an attempt to advance to the next base. There are often times common sense is applied with making a ruling. I never said the call was out right wrong. I said it was suspect based on the reasons I mentioned here and already in this thread.

Another thing to consider here is after the run scores, Rhodes is the only player on base. How do we know the umpires hadn't already called time while Rhodes was off the base? Answer: We don't know that. Video footage of the field and the situation at 1st apparently doesn't exist so we won't ever know.

Regardless, I'm glad we got the run and we held on in the bottom half to win the game. That's really all that matters at this point.

Actually they found the camera angle needed & just showed it during the AU game.Wins says it does not look like CSW & Jade did that though.

The relevant rule reads:

Now that I think about it, Clint does low five the HR hitters and that's OK. The way this is written makes me think that the situation tonight is a judgement call and since we cannot see how close Jade was or when and how she was "assisted", it's impossible to know if the right call was made.

Either way, Jade should be more aware of the situation and should be listening if she's not sure.

Absolutely. Jade should know better. Every player at this level should know better. I believe on her swing, she chopped it into the ground before it reached 2nd. It wasn't a pop up that just dropped, I believe the ball was already grounded, so I'm not sure why she thought she was out at 1st to begin with.

Archived