WCWS Softball vs. Georgia - Game thread

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice finish. Way to stay calm and collected girls. Seemed the umps just didn't want to help. Coach touching a player at first. Is that ever called? Hmmm...

:)/>

Now you ship your crystal ball to me right meow.

I might need it again this CWS ;)

What a great day! Bama is out of the CWS and we break the pups heart for 3 of our 4 wins against them.

I admit I have a limited knowledge of the softball rule book, but I know for a fact there is no such thing as a baseline between 1st and 2nd OR between 2nd and 3rd. It's called the base PATH. I agree that Carosone was probably out of the base path but the call on Scott Woodard touching rhodes is a bit suspect. There was no intent there. He didn't interfere with the play at all. All he did was stop rhodes from going to the dugout. I don't see how that is interference or illegal. Would like a rule reference for that one. Auburn gained no advantage by him touches or grabbing Rhodes. NONE. She wasn't going to be tagged out as she's in foul territory and made no effort at all to advance.

Wow. Brain dead play by Jade to start walking back to the dugout. She's got to keep her head in that situation. And the coach does too. So glad that didn't cost AU though. What an emotional roller coaster. On to the semis!

Michigan/Oklahoma play in a few minutes. Loser moves to our bracket and will play florida state tomorrow in an elimination game. Auburn awaits the winner of that game and only has to win 1 to make the championship series.. WAR EAGLE!!!!

We only have to play 1 game tomorrow and only need 1 win over the next 2 games if necessary to move on to the final series. Let's win the next game to end any doubt.

Like WT just said :)

Beat the dawgs 4 times this year...that's amazing. They are a pretty good team....hope we are done with them

I admit I have a limited knowledge of the softball rule book, but I know for a fact there is no such thing as a baseline between 1st and 2nd OR between 2nd and 3rd. It's called the base PATH. I agree that Carosone was probably out of the base path but the call on Scott Woodard touching rhodes is a bit suspect. There was no intent there. He didn't interfere with the play at all. All he did was stop rhodes from going to the dugout. I don't see how that is interference or illegal. Would like a rule reference for that one. Auburn gained no advantage by him touches or grabbing Rhodes. NONE. She wasn't going to be tagged out as she's in foul territory and made no effort at all to advance.

Rules are rules. You cannot touch a base runner or they are out. That's why you don't see them touch them as they round third. I figure you of all people would be behind that call. Jade should have known the situation and never headed back to the dugout. Not what you expect from a senior.

Appreciate this thread! (as usual). With a UGA runner on first and two outs in the bottom of the 7th, a thunderstorm blanked my satellite TV out. Y'all come through! WAR EAGLE!

y

No. It's not suspect. The play is still live and Rhodes started to walk to the dugout because she must have thought she was out or it was 3 outs. A coach CAN't touch a player in live play period. He could have cost us the winning run.

Beat the dawgs 4 times this year...that's amazing. They are a pretty good team....hope we are done with them

I sure don't want a best of 3 against them again. The last series is the only chance we play them again.

The relevant rule reads:

7.09(i) It is interference when ... in the judgment of the umpire, the base coach at third base, or first base, by touching or holding the runner, physically assists that runner in returning to or leaving third base or first base.

The key to properly applying this rule is that the base coach must physically assist the runner for interference to be called. Thus, interference should not be called if, for example, the base coach "high fives" the batter following a home run, since this does not constitute physical assistance.

On the other hand, interference may be called if a base coach pushes a runner towards a base, stops a runner who has overrun a base, helps a player to his feet while the ball is live, physically stops a runner who has missed a base, etc.

Rules are rules. You cannot touch a base runner or they are out. That's why you don't see them touch them as they round third. I figure you of all people would be behind that call. Jade should have known the situation and never headed back to the dugout. Not what you expect from a senior.

^^This^^

Gaining an advantage or not gaining an advantage, it doesn't matter. He touched her. Instant out. Pretty simple really.

That was a real nailbiter !! Great comeback. I admit I had my doubts but the ladies pulled it out. WDE!! Hey !!

One follow up question. Did ESPN2 carry the whole game? My satellite went out for a while. But I keep seeing jabs at ESPN for something some fans did not like.

One follow up question. Did ESPN2 carry the whole game? My satellite went out for a while. But I keep seeing jabs at ESPN for something some fans did not like.

Yup, I watched the whole game.

Announcers obviously favored uga

The relevant rule reads:

7.09(i) It is interference when ... in the judgment of the umpire, the base coach at third base, or first base, by touching or holding the runner, physically assists that runner in returning to or leaving third base or first base.

The key to properly applying this rule is that the base coach must physically assist the runner for interference to be called. Thus, interference should not be called if, for example, the base coach "high fives" the batter following a home run, since this does not constitute physical assistance.

On the other hand, interference may be called if a base coach pushes a runner towards a base, stops a runner who has overrun a base, helps a player to his feet while the ball is live, physically stops a runner who has missed a base, etc.

Thanks for the reference. Although no cameras were covering it, the discussions after seemed to explain that the 1st base coach assisted Rhodes by stopping her from going to the dugout because she thought she was out. The umpires got the call right (I do AHSAA softball and my brother does high school and college and we both agree with the call from what we have heard). The main aspect was it did not occur until after the run had scored.

AU did not play their best and seemed to have some mental fog issues (the not caught first hit that was fortunate to roll foul) and then Rhodes not aware of the ball went to second. But an exciting W and we move on.

That is why Carosone is an MVP - she was on for the game, came through when needed but her mental awareness (taking 3rd on a caught foul ball because nobody was covering) and then making uga play her instead of turning a double play (which would have not allowed Cooper to score).

Coopers numbers have gotten her all the POY attention and well deserved but I can also see why Carosone gets the MVP all the time.

You can tell how well coached our girls are in base running. The girls just don't hesitate. We take advantage of hesitation by the defenders. It gets us in trouble sometimes but the reward has been worth it. It definitely helped win the game today.

What a great day! Bama is out of the CWS and we break the pups heart for 3 of our 4 wins against them.

I like tha game 2 dog whoopin better personally.

If Jade had entered the Dugout she would have been out therefore the advantage was a player not going to the dugout. So I see where people are saying Jade was walking to the dugout I didn't see that or hear that on my telecast so where is that information coming from (confirmed). I see where she gets excited and starts walking back to first and she high fives Casey who is headed to the dugout but I don't see anything to indicates she was doing that and why would she walk back to the dugout? If it was after the play was dead and after the ruling at 2nd and time was called you can do whatever the heck you want. Someone set me straight not about the touching but confirmation of what exactly happend

Archived