QB Coaching

corchjay

What is not up to interpretation is the total rush defense has been dreadful the last three years. We have given up big run after big run from the LOS since 2013. We gave up 131 1st downs on runs last year, the third highest in the SEC. The teams only worst than us has been Texas A&M and occasionally USCe. Sacks has declined greatly since 2013 and last year we were dead last in tackles for loss after being middle of the road in 2014. As much talent as we have, this absolutely should not be acceptable under any circumstances.

But "Garner has continued to put his DL players in the league and it's building each year"

Really? Which D-Linemen were drafted in 2016?

What DLs declared for the '16 draft ? Also, I said the draft and FA, several times. Read the posts instead of trying to be a smartass. You might do better.

Wow...a FA contract. It just keeps building and building. Impeccable work Garner.

Hope Saban doesn't snatch him up.

Saban ? Tell him to p**s off for me. So what will you say when Garner puts 4 in the league this year from the first class he has both recruited and developed for 4 years ? Let me guess. Another wise ass comment and another gif ? Then when the recruiting level from his last 2 classes continues the pace ? That's called building his program to a higher level each year and most people can see that's exactly what he is doing.

This is the FOURTH year for Lawson & Adams. They were both FIVE-star talent. Adams HAS to come out after this season. Lawson won't take the risk of a 5th season. They SHOULD have been drafted in Rounds 1-2 in the 2016 draft...you know...like they WOULD have been had they played for LSU or bammer...programs that DEVELOP their talent, as opposed to HOPING they crack Round 3 in the 2017 draft.

FIVE-star talent + Garner = 4th Round

ONE Round 1-3 draft pick, TWO Round 4+ draft picks and half handful of FA contracts does anything BUT signify "pace" or "building."

Freaking Missouri is on-pace with Garner the last 3 seasons. They have TWO Round 1-3 draft picks.

How embarrassing for Garner.

I don't have a dog in this fight but using Lawson & Adams as examples that RG can't coach are dumb. Lawson has been hurt and Adams is lazy. If Adams played at uat he would have been processes a couple years ago. RG has done one hell of a job with Adams. Sure RG went threw a little dry spell but has damn sure come out of it the past couple years.

Sorry can't agree this time

About what?

The part about Adams

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1.5 seasons played out of 3 rarely guarantees a Round 1-3 pick.

He came back because he wasn't one.

Adams is the most hot/cold DL ever at AU. Round 6 at best. That's why he came back.

I had Blackson as our 2nd best DT behind Wright in 2012. I expected Wright to go Round 1-2 back then. Blackson not far behind. They both disappointed.

All Garner.

You are wrong, but OK...and I don't even like Garner.

You're nuts if you think that an NFL team doesn't take a clear 1st round talent (Lawson) in the 3rd round, regardless of how many games he has played. Too much upside there in a hard-working/high-character package. Just like how Dorial Green-Beckham still landed in the 2nd round with ~one season of performance and a million off-field concerns. He didn't even play a single down for Oklahoma and still landed in the 2nd round. Talent wins out, always. Lawson has abused Laremy Tunsil, who would have likely gone 1st overall before all the off-field s*** hit him, on several plays. He also threw Cyrus Kouandjio around like a rag-doll. You know what would have happened had he declared last season? He would have shown up to the Combine looking freakish in underwear and then ran a ~4.6 at 250+ pounds. The "1.5 seasons played in 3 years" becomes an afterthought at that point, especially in the 3rd round wherein you're hardly guaranteed to get an NFL performer anyway. He returned to school because Lawson is a competitor who obviously isn't satisfied with how his college career has unfolded. He's one of the few guys wherein the risk is actually worth it to return to school, because he's a Top 10 pick if he stays healthy and plays up to his ability.

Blackson was as "hot and cold" as Adams was/is. He landed in the 4th round after he showed up to the Combine at 6'4 ~320 with a 4.99-5.02 forty and 30+" vertical. Adams was/is capable of doing the same thing. I think that you're delusional if you believe that Blackson was somehow "more proven" on the field. Their stats after three seasons (since Adams hasn't played his last season yet) are as follows:

Blackson: 24 games played, 20 solo tackles, 28 assisted tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks

Adams: 36 games played, 51 solo tackles, 53 assisted tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, 6.5 sacks

You are wrong as always. Shocker.

DGB comparison. So predictable. One & only difference. He was never hurt. Made 2nd-Team All-SEC. 6'6" WRs don't grow anywhere. Of course someone was going to take a chance on him. Ask Dennis Greene about Randy Moss.

Lawson has the luck of Cadillac. And the Bucs got burned taking that risk. Lawson will HAVE to have a full injury-free season to see Round 1-3, which he would have never seen in the 16 draft. THAT'S why he came back.

Never compared Blackson to Adams. Blackson had to share PT with a LOT more DTs in 2013/2014 as AU was over-loaded with DTs.

You asked who saw Blackson in the 4th coming. I had Blackson as our 2nd best DT in 2012, so 4th wasn't a surprise two full seasons later. Expected.

Wright was a monster disappointment. He progressively went backwards. And his 4th Round pick proved it.

Bottom line...WAY too much blue chip talent has been wasted since Garner arrived.

The dline is just like any other group. If you've only got one player who can perform than its easier to stop them.

I feel like Adams is going to have a muuuuuch better year this year.

With all of the talent we've got on the dline, he'll be able to sneak into the back field much more often. Less double teams should also mean more stops at the line as far as HB dives and such go.

Garner will be put to the test as much as any of our other coaches this year. He should be able to field one of the more exciting defensive units we've seen in a while

from some of the conversation on this forum and the words that some use, it seems much more personal than professional with their dislike for Garner, just saying. I agree he has not been outstanding, but be reasonable. The coaches are dealing with players who are prima donnas (hope i spelled that right). The focus is really on Gus here. He is the one whose feet is being held to the fire. I feel like Garner has played his role and i would give him a grade of B- overall. JMHO I know others will disagree, but that's okay, i don't have anything personal against any of these coaches, BECAUSE, I DON"T KNOW THEM.

DGB comparison. So predictable. One & only difference. He was never hurt. Made 2nd-Team All-SEC. 6'6" WRs don't grow anywhere. Of course someone was going to take a chance on him. Ask Dennis Greene about Randy Moss.

Lawson has the luck of Cadillac. And the Bucs got burned taking that risk. Lawson will HAVE to have a full injury-free season to see Round 1-3, which he would have never seen in the 16 draft. THAT'S why he came back.

Never compared Blackson to Adams. Blackson had to share PT with a LOT more DTs in 2013/2014 as AU was over-loaded with DTs.

You asked who saw Blackson in the 4th coming. I had Blackson as our 2nd best DT in 2012, so 4th wasn't a surprise two full seasons later. Expected.

Wright was a monster disappointment. He progressively went backwards. And his 4th Round pick proved it.

Bottom line...WAY too much blue chip talent has been wasted since Garner arrived.

Bruh, I can assure you that I know more about the NFL draft, NFL scouting, and how NFL teams operate. I'm not wrong in the slightest. Pass rushers are among the most prized commodities in NFL football...of which there are only a handful of collegiate players that can come even lose to Lawson's pro potential. None of Lawson's injuries are career threatening or believed to be debilitating, thus the idea that NFL teams would be morbidly spooked off by some bad luck is comical. Marcus Lattimore still went in the 4th round following two gruesome knee injuries, while playing a position (RB) wherein those injuries are significantly more troubling. You don't believe he would have landed in the 3rd round, yet he's projected unanimously as a 1st round pick this season....how? What has he done during the offseason to shoot him from 4th round at the earliest in 2016 (your claim) to preseason 1st round in 2017? Nothing; he hasn't played in any games. I stand by my claim; had he showed up to the Combine healthy he would have tested more than well enough to easily slip into the 3rd round. Teams take bigger risks on kids with horrible off-field concerns all the time, yet you seem to believe that a few non-worrying injuries are going to deter teams from taking the risk on a 1st round pass rusher in the 3rd round LOL, nonetheless one with stellar character and work ethic. Da'Quan Bowers still landed in the 2nd round after pre-draft medical tests concluded that his injured knee was going to continue to deteriorate.

Your claim that you "knew" that Blackson would go in the 4th round because he was our "2nd best DT" is pure BS. I didn't realize that there was a projected round for which our "2nd best DTs" are guaranteed to go in. Blackson was universally seen as a 6th-UDFA prospect going into the Combine. I know this because I actually follow the NFL draft. Blackson wasn't even invited to the Senior Bowl...a pretty telling account for his perceived draft stock considering that the event is held in Mobile and therefore there is an inherent push to load as many worthwhile Auburn (and Alabama) players onto the roster to attract fan attention. He didn't shoot up to high 4th round until after he came to the Combine and opened a lot of people's eyes to his untapped physical potential by testing at the upper echelon for his position. You are asinine if you believe that Blackson was any more productive or consistent at Auburn than Adams has been to date. He spent long stretches of games wherein he was virtually invisible. That is the basis of my comparison between the two: if a guy like Blackson who was hardly a star player can fly into the 4th round due to PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES, a similar player like Adams can do the same thing because he has the exact same potential to show up to the Combine and excite people.

As much as we depend on Rocker as a recruiter I'd prefer to have 2 DL coaches over our current arrangement. Might take some pressure off of him and help the position development. Maybe that's just the fondness for the Tuberville defenses speaking...

Any way Art Briles makes it on AU staff?? Say RL jumps for head coach gig

I hope not. I cringe every time someone asks.

Bruh, I can assure you that I know more about the NFL draft, NFL scouting, and how NFL teams operate. I'm not wrong in the slightest. Pass rushers are among the most prized commodities in NFL football...of which there are only a handful of collegiate players that can come even lose to Lawson's pro potential. None of Lawson's injuries are career threatening or believed to be debilitating, thus the idea that NFL teams would be morbidly spooked off by some bad luck is comical. Marcus Lattimore still went in the 4th round following two gruesome knee injuries, while playing a position (RB) wherein those injuries are significantly more troubling. You don't believe he would have landed in the 3rd round, yet he's projected unanimously as a 1st round pick this season....how? What has he done during the offseason to shoot him from 4th round at the earliest in 2016 (your claim) to preseason 1st round in 2017? Nothing; he hasn't played in any games. I stand by my claim; had he showed up to the Combine healthy he would have tested more than well enough to easily slip into the 3rd round. Teams take bigger risks on kids with horrible off-field concerns all the time, yet you seem to believe that a few non-worrying injuries are going to deter teams from taking the risk on a 1st round pass rusher in the 3rd round LOL, nonetheless one with stellar character and work ethic. Da'Quan Bowers still landed in the 2nd round after pre-draft medical tests concluded that his injured knee was going to continue to deteriorate.

Your claim that you "knew" that Blackson would go in the 4th round because he was our "2nd best DT" is pure BS. I didn't realize that there was a projected round for which our "2nd best DTs" are guaranteed to go in. Blackson was universally seen as a 6th-UDFA prospect going into the Combine. I know this because I actually follow the NFL draft. Blackson wasn't even invited to the Senior Bowl...a pretty telling account for his perceived draft stock considering that the event is held in Mobile and therefore there is an inherent push to load as many worthwhile Auburn (and Alabama) players onto the roster to attract fan attention. He didn't shoot up to high 4th round until after he came to the Combine and opened a lot of people's eyes to his untapped physical potential by testing at the upper echelon for his position. You are asinine if you believe that Blackson was any more productive or consistent at Auburn than Adams has been to date. He spent long stretches of games wherein he was virtually invisible. That is the basis of my comparison between the two: if a guy like Blackson who was hardly a star player can fly into the 4th round due to PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES, a similar player like Adams can do the same thing because he has the exact same potential to show up to the Combine and excite people.

Bruh, you don't even know an ounce of what Mel Kiper knows. Stop making a mockery of yourself.

You just proved it again with Lattimore. He, like Cadillac, was an extreme risk. BUST, JUST like Cadillac was. Lattimore should have NEVER been drafted.

The injury bug (2+ College injuries) isn't a spook, a ghost, bad luck or even comical. It's a PATTERN. WAY more often than not, it continues its reoccurrence course.

I sincerely hope the best for Lawson. I hope he breaks the all-time single season AU record for sacks, becomes the #1 overall draft pick and becomes the next Von Miller in the league.

But not a chance in hell he would have been drafted in Round 1-3 in 2016.

He projects as a higher pick for 2017 because there are more DEs off the board. It's simple math...bruh.

Carl's presence is more than absorbing double teams. He is a vocal leader out there. However, he would have been a late rounder last season due to his lack of being able to stay on the field.

I hope the best for him. He deserves an opportunity to fully showcase what he can do for a full season.

What is not up to interpretation is the total rush defense has been dreadful the last three years. We have given up big run after big run from the LOS since 2013. We gave up 131 1st downs on runs last year, the third highest in the SEC. The teams only worst than us has been Texas A&M and occasionally USCe. Sacks has declined greatly since 2013 and last year we were dead last in tackles for loss after being middle of the road in 2014. As much talent as we have, this absolutely should not be acceptable under any circumstances.

But "Garner has continued to put his DL players in the league and it's building each year"

Really? Which D-Linemen were drafted in 2016?

What DLs declared for the '16 draft ? Also, I said the draft and FA, several times. Read the posts instead of trying to be a smartass. You might do better.

Wow...a FA contract. It just keeps building and building. Impeccable work Garner.

Hope Saban doesn't snatch him up.

Saban ? Tell him to p**s off for me. So what will you say when Garner puts 4 in the league this year from the first class he has both recruited and developed for 4 years ? Let me guess. Another wise ass comment and another gif ? Then when the recruiting level from his last 2 classes continues the pace ? That's called building his program to a higher level each year and most people can see that's exactly what he is doing.

This is the FOURTH year for Lawson & Adams. They were both FIVE-star talent. Adams HAS to come out after this season. Lawson won't take the risk of a 5th season. They SHOULD have been drafted in Rounds 1-2 in the 2016 draft...you know...like they WOULD have been had they played for LSU or bammer...programs that DEVELOP their talent, as opposed to HOPING they crack Round 3 in the 2017 draft.

FIVE-star talent + Garner = 4th Round

ONE Round 1-3 draft pick, TWO Round 4+ draft picks and half handful of FA contracts does anything BUT signify "pace" or "building."

Freaking Missouri is on-pace with Garner the last 3 seasons. They have TWO Round 1-3 draft picks.

How embarrassing for Garner.

I don't have a dog in this fight but using Lawson & Adams as examples that RG can't coach are dumb. Lawson has been hurt and Adams is lazy. If Adams played at uat he would have been processes a couple years ago. RG has done one hell of a job with Adams. Sure RG went threw a little dry spell but has damn sure come out of it the past couple years.

So...Lawson (hurt for 2 straight years) and Adams (lack of drive) are on RG? I'm pretty sure a lot of people were saying both of them could have gone in the top 2-3 rounds even with these issues but CHOSE to come back for another year. RG is such a terrible coach that these guys have had incomplete careers, could have been drafted..and still turned down money to play for him another year. Fire that guy NOW lmao. Talk about flawed logic.

This for me or Viper?

Viper

As much as we depend on Rocker as a recruiter I'd prefer to have 2 DL coaches over our current arrangement. Might take some pressure off of him and help the position development. Maybe that's just the fondness for the Tuberville defenses speaking...

Rocker? I think you mean RG...and last year there were 2 DL coaches...

Carl's presence is more than absorbing double teams. He is a vocal leader out there. However, he would have been a late rounder last season due to his lack of being able to stay on the field.

Bruh...you aren't a NFL draft guru like meta-condescending-richard...who takes time from his NFL draft job to post on Auburn forums...bruh.

Bruh...you aren't a NFL draft guru like meta-condescending-richard...who takes time from his NFL draft job to post on Auburn forums...bruh.

This is on the topic of QB coaching how?

So..it's expected to be the best year we've seen on DL in a long time. If that happens, is it in spite of RG? You guys can't have it both ways.

Yet most of us agreed 2010 was in spite of Chizik.

Yet some chose to have it both ways.

Ask IronMan70

So..it's expected to be the best year we've seen on DL in a long time. If that happens, is it in spite of RG? You guys can't have it both ways.

Yet most of us agreed 2010 was in spite of Chizik.

Yet some chose to have it both ways.

So you have no answer then? Got it.

I thought this was the "beat all the dead horses" thread :dunno:

I thought this was the "beat all the dead horses" thread :dunno:/>

Fire Jay Jacobs?

I thought this was the "beat all the dead horses" thread :dunno:/>

Fire Jay Jacobs?

And more seats...oh heck...this just became a4es dream thread!!! :lmao:

Archived