Tom Glavine's Son

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

True it would be nice to have more general scholarship money but the whole scholarship and academic qualification issue is a touchy subject.   AU gives a substantial number of financial (athletic) scholarships to students who are not academically qualified by the standards applied to general student body.....thus perhaps depriving academically qualified students an opportunity to attend AU. 

I'm just suggesting that the athletic department could make more of an effort to find kids who are both academically qualified to attend AU and get scholarship aid...and also capable of playing baseball at a high level. 

Prospective students are judged by not just academics, but also extra-curricular activities in HS which includes sports.   I'm not thinking dozens...but it should be possible to identify a few quality baseball players each year at the better academic high schools in the state and help lead them to the baseball program by means of non-athletic financial aid.     I'm of the view that athletic scholarships might ought to be partly "need based"....with the money held for those who truly need it to attend Auburn....especially in the sports with such a limited number of scholarships available like baseball.

NCAA rules don't make that easy but lots of schools are doing something along that line....just hoping we are trying also...and not just taking the easy way out and limiting our prospect by just giving athletic scholarships in baseball.

Honestly I don't see it happening at AU short of Alabama passing a lottery someday.

It shouldn't that hard to find a kid that qualifies for academic help at AU and is also a good baseball player. We don't need a dozen a year, three would make a big difference.

Like AU64, I hope we have someone pursuing this line for the baseball team. It wouldn't cost a thing. We're taking a guy that qualifies for an academic scholarship anyway.

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It shouldn't that hard to find a kid that qualifies for academic help at AU and is also a good baseball player. We don't need a dozen a year, three would make a big difference.

Like AU64, I hope we have someone pursuing this line for the baseball team. It wouldn't cost a thing. We're taking a guy that qualifies for an academic scholarship anyway.

Yep....gotta be some kids out there who can qualify for this type of scholarship and still hit a curve ball.

http://www.auburn.edu/scholarship/undergraduate/freshman.html

On 8/11/2016 at 5:58 PM, AU64 said:

Yep....gotta be some kids out there who can qualify for this type of scholarship and still hit a curve ball.

http://www.auburn.edu/scholarship/undergraduate/freshman.html

It's not the curve ball that's the problem.  It's getting the guys who throw in the upper 80's that can get to the mid 90's and subsequently the kids who can drive the mid 90's fastball into the gap.  I've been in the middle of watching these 17 & 18 year olds play at the highest level and it is really hard to evaluate.  I've got one who starts school Tuesday and is a very good defensive catcher, swings from the left side (can and has hit well against low 90's) qualified for good money academically.  But has no desire to have to put in the work that would be required to play baseball.  After what I did (real close to flunking out), selfishly I'm glad.  Problem for him is that he doesn't want to put in the work on the academic side either.  Oof.

Archived