2016 Fall Camp - Practice 9 (Scrimmage #2)

RunInRed

19 points a game will not win a championship but 15 teams averaged 18 or less a game last year. With our talent this year i think that can make a difference in games we that we lost last year.

11 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don't think scoring 19 points has been good enough for an Auburn team any point this decade 

I might be wrong on that though

I wouldn't recommend it unless you have the talent of the 2001 Miami Hurricanes.

8 minutes ago, Jt86w1 said:

19 points a game will not win a championship but 15 teams averaged 18 or less a game last year. With our talent this year i think that can make a difference in games we that we lost last year.

I don't know what that stat has to do with anything. All those teams in that area are horrible (I looked it up). I don't think we lost to a team even close to that average. If we can go from giving up 26.5 to 19 that'd be pretty incredible, but scoring should remain somewhere in the 30s period 

13 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don't know what that stat has to do with anything. All those teams in that area are horrible (I looked it up). I don't think we lost to a team even close to that average. If we can go from giving up 26.5 to 19 that'd be pretty incredible, but scoring should remain somewhere in the 30s period 

I don't see us scoring 30 a game unless the lights come on for JJ. Hope like heck i am wrong.

11 hours ago, auskip07 said:

It was a rhetorical question.      But you can believe anything you want. 

Lol. Weren't you one of the people that asked 23 was he jf3's brother? I hope not because if so the hypocrisy is strong in here

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Lol. Weren't you one of the people that asked 23 was he jf3's brother? I hope not because if so the hypocrisy is strong in here

Nope  you have the wrong guy.  

I'm hearing some good things about Eli Stove. How about the other WR's, including but not only the young Freshmen? Anything of note? Did we target the TE's at all in either scrimmage?

11 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

I don't see us scoring 30 a game unless the lights come on for JJ. Hope like heck i am wrong.

Football is kinda like baseball....if you make mistakes you are going to lose...if you play error free, you have a chance to win.  

Don't know how Gus fits into that but seems we did not play sharp football...especially at crunch time...and squandered way too many opportunities.  We are not talented enough to spot the other guys a couple fumbles or INTs or foolish penalties.....and still win games.   In most of our losses, you can put your finger on a couple big mistakes that caused a loss or turned things around. 

Mistakes were the key to our downfall in a large number of games the last few years.    Hoping this team plays more fundamentally sound football.

• Like 1

FWIW I'm told Gus has not ever shown anything on the scholly weekend, including his time as OC. I'm going to wait till the first real game scrim before I go full panic mode. Lots of talent on this AU team. 

• Like 1

Well I'm worried a little and I'm not the type to worry that much. If we're throwing turnovers and we're in vanilla mode. Maybe the defense is really good Idk.

I'm worried we have a qb everybody says can't throw a lick. And another qb that everybody proclaims to be super accurate and can read defenses but he is throwing as many picks as the guy everybody says can't throw. And I wish we didn't start games off with teams like this. A tune up game would be optimal right now

Oh and I almost forgot the most talented qb on the roster apparently was ruined by the start of the last season and he didn't even play in the scrimmage. Then we are told not to read anything into it....

Edited by cole256

34 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Well I'm worried a little and I'm not the type to worry that much. If we're throwing turnovers and we're in vanilla mode. Maybe the defense is really good Idk.

I'm worried we have a qb everybody says can't throw a lick. And another qb that everybody proclaims to be super accurate and can read defenses but he is throwing as many picks as the guy everybody says can't throw. And I wish we didn't start games off with teams like this. A tune up game would be optimal right now

Oh and I almost forgot the most talented qb on the roster apparently was ruined by the start of the last season and he didn't even play in the scrimmage. Then we are told not to read anything into it....

I think people need to be realistic and understand that this team at its max could be a 7 win team. Most teams in this league have talent and potential. The bottom line is our talent on the offensive end is very unproven. Additionally, our QB play is shaky at best. Even, if we do see a stark improvement this year, the schedule is not favorable. We have a tough stretch early on. I am just hoping, we beat the teams we should beat and make every game as competitive as possible.

• Like 1

Vanilla or not ... I'm failing to control my growing pessimism about our O this coming season.

Sarcasm on - maybe this was intended as a confidence builder for our D - sarcasm off 

btw, I have a serious problem if we are wasting a scrimmage day so our donors can see a glorified A-day game.  (Sorry donors, ignore this, but please keep sending AU that paper ;) )

38 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think people need to be realistic and understand that this team at its max could be a 7 win team. Most teams in this league have talent and potential. The bottom line is our talent on the offensive end is very unproven. Additionally, our QB play is shaky at best. Even, if we do see a stark improvement this year, the schedule is not favorable. We have a tough stretch early on. I am just hoping, we beat the teams we should beat and make every game as competitive as possible.

Can't disagree much but folks also need to understand that most SEC schools are no better off than we are as far as their QB situation.  

Just saying that I don't think we have to depend on our QBs to win ball games....just need for them to avoid losing ball games.  

Last season there was a tendency for the QBs and the slippery fingered WRs to lose games that could have been won....and it did not require some kind of Cam or Nick-like effort....just SEC level play....and hoping the fundamentals are better.

The offense will start slower I think, which is typical. All 3 quarterbacks are capable IMO. If JF3 starts, our playbook will grow as the season progresses, but we will be a spread option team at the core. I grew up on triple option football and know how effective we can be if we go that route, but it'll start out slowly. My personal preference would be JJ reaching his Cam-like potential, but who knows if that will happen. 

Just now, AuburnEagle79 said:

The offense will start slower I think, which is typical. All 3 quarterbacks are capable IMO. If JF3 starts, our playbook will grow as the season progresses, but we will be a spread option team at the core. I grew up on triple option football and know how effective we can be if we go that route, but it'll start out slowly. My personal preference would be JJ reaching his Cam-like potential, but who knows if that will happen. 

In order to have "cam like" potential you need to have cam like ability.   Its not there from a mobility standpoint so he wont be cam like 

21 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Can't disagree much but folks also need to understand that most SEC schools are no better off than we are as far as their QB situation.  

Just saying that I don't think we have to depend on our QBs to win ball games....just need for them to avoid losing ball games.  

Last season there was a tendency for the QBs and the slippery fingered WRs to lose games that could have been won....and it did not require some kind of Cam or Nick-like effort....just SEC level play....and hoping the fundamentals are better.

I think that is where you and I have a stark disagreement. Should we have to depend on our offense to win games for us? No. However, since 2010, this is specifically the position that AU finds itself in.

As far as, these other teams with ? marks at QBs, I can only think of two who fall into our category, where we pretty much have ? marks at every other facet of their teams' dynamics. Arkansas and Miss. State, who quite frankly, we should be beating annually on talent alone. Every other team that we face has at least a proven commodity.

27 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Exactly go read some of the things Kirby and Saban had to say about their respective QB races. A log of uncertainty on a lot of teams particulars at the QB position. I just wish one of these guys would just take it...put in the work and seize the opportunity.

17 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Exactly go read some of the things Kirby and Saban had to say about their respective QB races. A log of uncertainty on a lot of teams particulars at the QB position. I just wish one of these guys would just take it...put in the work and seize the opportunity.

Yes...Miss State, bama ,vandy,Arky, Uga among others still looking for their starters and none of them return a proven QB.

There are some serious woe is me reading comprehension issues in this thread.

Points to emphasize in no particular order:

JJ didn't play, likely because his hand is injured, and probably because the coaches consider him a known quantity regardless. Doesn't make him any more or less likely to be the starter, period.

SW played against the 1's on D and looked shaky playing vanilla O, meh.

JF3 played against the 2's on D and looked shaky playing vanilla O, Also meh.

We done with the sky is falling crap yet?  Asking for a friend.. ;)

:au:

• Like 7

1 hour ago, stoic-one said:

JJ didn't play, likely because his hand is injured, and probably because the coaches consider him a known quantity regardless. Doesn't make him any more or less likely to be the starter, period.

Other words to identify:

"likely"

"probably"

If JJ was such a known quantity, last year would've never happened like it did. You don't give somebody like JJ a whole day off just because he has been in the system. And from what I've heard, he has no protective equipment on his hand.

"We did hold him out but it wasn't anything that was major,” Malzahn said. “We just wanted to get more information on those two. Don't ready anything in-between that. That's just what we chose to do.” 

White and Franklin split reps with the first team in Johnson’s absence. The first team offense spent the scrimmage working through situational reps — two-minute, overtime, backed up — and didn’t score a passing touchdown."

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/sports/college/sec/auburn-university/war-eagle-extra/article95524997.html

Edited by aujeff11

2 hours ago, DAG said:

I refuse to concede that an Auburn team with one of the most expensive staffs period, coming off of several top 10 classes, is at MAX a 7 win season. That's just disgusting and disheartening to hear.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, stoic-one said:

Not to mention 1's didn't play in the 2nd half

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I refuse to concede that an Auburn team with one of the most expensive staffs period, coming off of several top 10 classes, is at MAX a 7 win season. That's just disgusting and disheartening to hear.

Top ten classes with attrition rates out the roof. Not only that, there have been recently at least four other SEC schools that have had better recruiting classes despite being in the top ten ourselves. Also, we have expensive staffs, not because of incentives being met, but because the bottom dollar to attract coaches has climbed as well. Lastly, our season can swing one way or another based on QB play alone. 

Edited by aujeff11

Amazing that at over $4M per year Gus is only #5 in the SEC and not much above #6 and 7.   Look at the rest of the league and tell us who you would rather have at AU at the salary he is being paid elsewhere..... the whole business is obscene IMO.    And if / when Gus goes, we will pay even more for someone with fewer meaningful wins....  

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-coaches-salaries-2016/