2016 Fall Camp - Practice 9 (Scrimmage #2)

RunInRed

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I heard that Gus only wanted to get information on Sean and JF3. Am I making this stuff up?

Sir, that is how you construed his comment. What he said was that Jeremy could go, but he wanted to see what those two could do. There's two different ways to view that statement. 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Sir, that is how you construed his comment. What he said was that Jeremy could go, but he wanted to see what those two could do. There's two different ways to view that statement. 

Yeah, well, you maybe right..... But, the same QB that lost his QB spot last year will not be stepping into the shadows for a whole scrimmage day just so the battle for second string can take center stage. Doesn't make any sense at all given the time is so valuable.

• Like 1

I ain't saying anybody's right or wrong but I find it nearly impossible to believe that a QB in the midst of a race would sit out a preseason scrimmage for anything less than injury or discipline.  Pretty sure JJ ain't a discipline problem so I'm sure he sat out due to the hand injury.

Not saying it's a serious injury but it's probably serious enough to rest it for a few days, thus the comment about just seeing what the others can do.....since he can't play today anyway. 

• Like 3

Gus made it very clear not to read too much into JJ sitting and we are trying to read so hard into it our eyes are crossed.  We still have time to get the QB situation figured out.  It was about this time in the season when we found out Nick Marshall was going to start.  

We need to at least give Gus time to review tape before we do much else.  I wouldn't name a starter until I saw the tape because I could have missed something on the field.  

I know when I played sports, when I had a bad day (like both of the QB's did today) it made me lock in to never do it again.  The only way we don't repeat mistakes is if anger/embarrassment followed those mistakes to not do that again.  Hopefully that was the case today.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

KP is going to be good. And to be fair the offense was vanilla. Boring vanilla. 

Yeah agreed. Stove looks like he will definitely make an impact this year. 

10 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Yeah agreed. Stove looks like he will definitely make an impact this year. 

I also believe one thing that will make him a valuable back is that he played FB last year and should have a leg up on pass protection over the other RBs. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Piketiger1990 said:

I also believe one thing that will make him a valuable back is that he played FB last year and should have a leg up on pass protection over the other RBs. 

Wrong person. 

Okay, so JJ hurt his throwing hand in practice earlier in the week. He was held out today. Was it the injury, or was it because CGM and CRL have already decided he's going to be the starter and they wanted to see the other two in action without risking further injury to JJ ??? I don't know the answer to that. I'm asking.

Kerryon Johnson also doesn't play much (did he play at all?). Mostly Pettway bulldozing. Is this because KJ has been decided on as the starter and they don't want to risk him getting injured? Or is it because they wanted to test the defensive front with some power running? Or are they wanting to get some experience for his backup? Or are they looking at Pettway as the starter with KJ in a different role? I don't know the answer. I'm asking.

SW throws 2 picks. Franklin throws a pick and fumbles. The offensive play calling looks like last year retread. Is that what I'm reading here in this thread? This is all we got?

Somehow, I'm hoping that CGM and CRL are going to step up and give us a wide open offense with some real dynamic and innovative play calling this year. I haven't given up yet ...... but I'm crossing my fingers and clutching my rabbits foot.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

I gather "Woody worked with the 3rd string" means he actually ran some plays? Any reports on how "he who shall not be mentioned" did?

Well Woody's head was spinning I can tell you that. made some good runs but he's a little overwhelmed at the moment. I just pray we do not have to use him this year.

JJ hurt his hand. The coaches have seen JJ every day for 3+ years, they know what he's got and what he's worked on this off season. No reason to risk anything with your potential starter. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

KP is going to be good. And to be fair the offense was vanilla. Boring vanilla. 

Please tell me KP lost the neck brace now that he's playing tailback. I think it was okay from his hback position last season, but definitely not at tailback - makes you look stiff.

He reminds me of James Bostic and Bostic is one of my favorite all-time Auburn players because he was like an ox with the rock.

4 hours ago, Jt86w1 said:

For the past decade all we ever read is how great the offense did and this guy had an 80 yard play. i find it refreshing that our defense is actually doing well. Gus always has an offense thats good enough to win, it always the defense that lets us down. 

Did you watch last season? Our offense stunk as bad as our d.

4 minutes ago, TigerWar said:

Please tell me KP lost the neck brace now that he's playing tailback. I think it was okay from his hback position last season, but definitely not at tailback - makes you look stiff.

He reminds me of James Bostic and Bostic is one of my favorite all-time Auburn players because he was like an ox with the rock.

I actually like it. It's like a badge for tough guys/ big hitters. You don't wear a neck brace unless you plan on putting someone of their rear end. But I agree it does make you look a little stiff. 

4 hours ago, Jt86w1 said:

For the past decade all we ever read is how great the offense did and this guy had an 80 yard play. i find it refreshing that our defense is actually doing well. Gus always has an offense thats good enough to win, it always the defense that lets us down. 

So now it could be the other way around...this crap is annoying 

25 minutes ago, TigerWar said:

Did you watch last season? Our offense stunk as bad as our d.

we scored 21 on lsu, 46 on arkansas and 19 on ole miss. Thats good enough to win with a good defense.

5 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

So now it could be the other way around...this crap is annoying 

It shouldn't be this way. I am hoping for the best this year, but based on what is going on at the QB position, I am prepping for the worst. I still say we should get at least 7 wins.

20 minutes ago, Jt86w1 said:

we scored 21 on lsu, 46 on arkansas and 19 on ole miss. Thats good enough to win with a good defense.

Ole miss averaged 40 points a game, while LSU averaged 32 points a game last year. Arkansas should've been a W, but the other two..you will have to do a lot more to win against them. Mississippi was giving up 23 ppg, while LSU was giving up 24 ppg. Not good enough.

Edited by DAG

13 minutes ago, Jt86w1 said:

O and D were both crap. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

Ole miss averaged 40 points a game, while LSU averaged 32 points a game last year. Arkansas should've been a W, but the other two..you will have to do a lot more to win against them. Missippi was giving up 23 ppg, while LSU was giving up 24 ppg. Not good enough.

Please tell me you meant to butcher the spelling of Mississippi

5 minutes ago, Plaric said:

Please tell me you meant to butcher the spelling of Mississippi

Good catch. Typing on this mobile app is hell. Quality input, though. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, DAG said:

Ole miss averaged 40 points a game, while LSU averaged 32 points a game last year. Arkansas should've been a W, but the other two..you will have to do a lot more to win against them. Missippi was giving up 23 ppg, while LSU was giving up 24 ppg. Not good enough.

lsu was held to 17 or less in all there losses so 21 is good enough. 40 a game for ole miss is misleading considering they scored over 200 points in 3 games against lower teams.

9 minutes ago, Jt86w1 said:

lsu was held to 17 or less in all there losses so 21 is good enough. 40 a game for ole miss is misleading considering they scored over 200 points in 3 games against lower teams.

In all three of their losses, the other teams also dominated offensively. If you noticed, they all scored over 30 points. Kind of got to take that into consideration, seeing as they won every other game when the opposing team did not score at least 30 points.

Really? They put up 40 against Bama and Oklahoma State.  Put up 38 against Miss state and LSU. Put up 50 in a loss to Arkansas. Oh and yes, they did put up 70 against the lower tier teams. I would hardly call that stat misleading.

Edited by DAG