2016 Fall Camp - Practice 9 (Scrimmage #2)

RunInRed

30 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

You mean 2600 yds, 60 pct completion , 22 tds to 6 ints? Yea I'll take that

Chris todd: 11 TDs/ O int against teams with a combined record of 11-25 including Furman.
Chris Todd: 11 TDs/6 Interceptions against teams with a winning record

Yes, Chris Todd will give you a good season like he did in 2009. An 8 win season.

Edited by DAG

On 8/13/2016 at 5:08 PM, oracle79 said:

Put all five QB's (including the walk on and the freshman) in blue jerseys and make them live.  Blitz the crap out of them on defense and let natural selection sort the decision out for you.  Hopefully GM and RL have a real idea of what they are gonna do because time is fast running out.  The longer they go without a starter, the fewer reps he will have to get better and gel with the offense.  This situation sounds pitiful from anybody that was there and is commenting on it.

Said this last week but many thought it made no sense. They need to go live every chance we get. Wished JJ got some reps to see how he would do. I know we don't want to get anyone hurt but darn all that..they've all shown that no one stands out so why not. 

And would you say 2009 team as a whole was more talented? What I see in this team is an improvement all around on defense, WR, and equal talent at Rb and oline to last years team that lost 4 games by less that 10 points. A season that was a disaster at QB. 

10 hours ago, AU64 said:

Can't disagree much but folks also need to understand that most SEC schools are no better off than we are as far as their QB situation.  

Just saying that I don't think we have to depend on our QBs to win ball games....just need for them to avoid losing ball games.  

Last season there was a tendency for the QBs and the slippery fingered WRs to lose games that could have been won....and it did not require some kind of Cam or Nick-like effort....just SEC level play....and hoping the fundamentals are better.

Agree. Many SEC teams QB situation is shaky but i feel like they've done a better job of scheming their offense with what they do have. Vanilla seems to be a popular word and that concerns me. We're running out of time and i'm feeling like we're going to see the same offensive playcalling from last year. We need to pick a QB (don't care if we the fans don't know) and start game planning around that QB FAST. I don't see why we can't win 7-8 games at the least if design an offense that gets max performance out of the starting QB we have. 

24 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

And would you say 2009 team as a whole was more talented? What I see in this team is an improvement all around on defense, WR, and equal talent at Rb and oline to last years team that lost 4 games by less that 10 points. A season that was a disaster at QB. 

That is a very good question. I believe this team has much more star power than the 2009 team. That doesn't necessarily equate to more talent. For instance, I believe that 2009 offense was very talented. They had a very underrated O-Line, they had two dependable receivers in Darvin Adams and Zachary and had a lightning/thunder backfield with Tate/O-Mac. I do believe that this defense has way more potential than that 2009 defense and that will show up on the field. I will say that I am of the opinion that CGM offense is suited in a fashion, where you would need a dynamic player to allow for us to get over the hill. By dynamic, I do not mean DT. I believe a Chris Todd type of QB can be successful in a CGM offense, but we will continuously be at that 8-9 win mark. To me, if we had a pocket passer, who could make every type of throw without physical limitations (Was suppose to be jj) then we would be over that hill. Likewise, I believe CGM offense works very well with a true DT QB. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

if a football forum thread leaves you feeling doom and gloom, then maybe you need to reconsider your priorities. 

Funny  how you can perceive my priorities by my post  about a football fan base giving up on a football season before it starts. Great insight! Thanks for the great advice! Check is in the mail!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Chris todd: 11 TDs/ O int against teams with a combined record of 11-25 including Furman.
Chris Todd: 11 TDs/6 Interceptions against teams with a winning record

Yes, Chris Todd will give you a good season like he did in 2009. An 8 win season.

Haters gon' hate. I'd give my left kidney for that guy this year. Chris Todd was a bright spot in 2009, any way you slice it. His worst game was a blowout loss to LSU. Otherwise, he was not the problem.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2009/player/37/85866/passing/gamelog.html

1 hour ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Said this last week but many thought it made no sense. They need to go live every chance we get. Wished JJ got some reps to see how he would do. I know we don't want to get anyone hurt but darn all that..they've all shown that no one stands out so why not. 

The way Gus does things from an outward times rarely seems to make sense, we just have to hope they either succeed or they don't (they usually dont)

Just now, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The way Gus does things from an outward times rarely seems to make sense, we just have to hope they either succeed or they don't (they usually dont)

True. I'm just hoping for the best. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Haters gon' hate. I'd give my left kidney for that guy this year. Chris Todd was a bright spot in 2009, any way you slice it. His worst game was a blowout loss to LSU. Otherwise, he was not the problem.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2009/player/37/85866/passing/gamelog.html

Hmm now find where I hated anywhere in my post? I provided the same stats, that you provided in that cute little link of yours. Also, tell me where I said he was the problem? I am pretty sure I said Chris Todd will give you a good, 8 win season. He won't win you many games, but he won't lose them either.  He is the Brandon Allen of last year. If you want to trade your kidney in for that, be my guess. I want AU to run the table. So, I can deal with a 7 -8 win season right now, as long as we are competitive if it allows us to bring in the right QB to make us a contender in the future. IMO, I don't think any of the three QBs we have right now vying for the starting position, give us that ability. Also, he played worst against a 7-6 Kentucky team, which was not a blowout loss. At least, be accurate if you are going to try to call someone out.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, DAG said:

Hmm now find where I hated anywhere in my post? I provided the same stats, that you provided in that cute little link of yours. Also, tell me where I said he was the problem? I am pretty sure I said Chris Todd will give you a good, 8 win season. He won't win you many games, but he won't lose them either.  He is the Brandon Allen of last year. If you want to trade your kidney in for that, be my guess. I want AU to run the table. So, I can deal with a 7 -8 win season right now, as long as we are competitive if it allows us to bring in the right QB to make us a contender in the future. IMO, I don't think any of the three QBs we have right now vying for the starting position, give us that ability. Also, he played worst against a 7-6 Kentucky team, which was not a blowout loss. At least, be accurate if you are going to try to call someone out.

I'm glad I have you around to post for me.

I wasn't saying that Chris Todd was awful or garbage. Like DAG said, he was sufficient. He wasn't going to go out and win us a bunch of games or singlehandedly lose them either. He had a noodle arm but did the best he could with what he had. And to those of you who say we're absolutely staaacckkkeedd this year and just need "meh" at QB to dominate the west, y'all really do undervalue the offensive talent on that 2009 team. Gus would probably give his left kidney for Tate and Adams to walk back through that door.

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

We win a lot of games if we get that kind of production from our QB.

Clearly you haven't been reading this board enough! The Auburn Tigers under Malzahn are doomed unless we have a JUCO transfer dual threat QB taking the snaps. It must be true because I read it right here.

Edited by Mikey

10 hours ago, tombigbeetiger said:

okay golf, look at the schedule and give me more than 5 wins......i see 3 OC and vandy and moo state in conference, and i am not  overly confident about vandy and moo state.....do you think we beat clemson?...lsu ? georgia? updykes? ole miss? texas A&M?....arkie?....ain't no way without a QB and very average runningbacks...not to mention two new OT's.....factor in coach doublebubbles bizarre playcalling and red zone woes, and all i see is 5

So you are saying you are not crazy about our coach? Lol 

kinda da of curious... Red zone woes and play calling have anything to do with poor execution?  

8 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Agree. Many SEC teams QB situation is shaky but i feel like they've done a better job of scheming their offense with what they do have. Vanilla seems to be a popular word and that concerns me. We're running out of time and i'm feeling like we're going to see the same offensive playcalling from last year. We need to pick a QB (don't care if we the fans don't know) and start game planning around that QB FAST. I don't see why we can't win 7-8 games at the least if design an offense that gets max performance out of the starting QB we have. 

Not sure how you know that.  Generally we have no idea what UGa or MSU are doing this year....and Arky has a freshman QB I think ...but they do have an established RB which we don't....but otherwise, I just don't see why AU won't put a good team on the field, capable of beating any of those guys if we play good solid football. 

I worry about the depth and about the QBs not making mistakes at key moments but beyond that, I would be quite surprised and disappointed if we do not win 8 games against one of the most difficult schedules we've had lately.   I see Bama and Clemson as likely losses.....and every other game as winnable under the right conditions. Even LSU and TAMU playing at AU.  As I look at each team and where they are, I'm just not intimidated by them.  AU has a tough schedule but I am pretty sure that our opponents are not taking AU lightly.

As far as RBs go, I think it's highly likely Pettway picks up where PB left off last year. I have to wonder if, in that case, he'd continue the tradition and go pro. If I had to guess, Lawson, Smith, and either Carlson or Pettway leave early.

Edited by AUwent

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

As far as RBs go, I think it's highly likely Pettway picks up where PB left off last year. I have to wonder if, in that case, he'd continue the tradition and go pro. If I had to guess, Lawson, Smith, and either Carlson or Pettway leave early.

Pettway hasnt even started yet?   Peyton would still be here if his mother wasnt homeless.  

On 8/13/2016 at 3:26 PM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Neither QB played worth the dang. Both SW and JF3 were awful. No way to sugar coat it. 

CP is a good back but lacks speed. Reminded me of PB. KM looked good. KJ didn't play much. Just limiting KJ's touches in the scrims.  

DL looked great. 

Hosley played great. 

E Stove looked good. 

D blitzed quite a bit. Played a lot of man on man. 

Seems to be some very good team chemistry. And the players all looked good on the hoof. 

Need a QB. Real bad. Told SW looked a lot better the last scrim. And JF3 has ball security issues and can't pass. 

And SW is still small. 

I'd feel a lot better with a Rudi Johnson comparison.

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

Recent history of AU players leaving early has not been that good.   Granted that some might never have made the NFL but they lost a year of college play which might have helped in that direction and they lost a year of academics which might have been useful too.

4 hours ago, DAG said:

That's not calling you out- it was a good jump off to discuss the talking points. And the 'cute link' was a reference point for anyone who wanted it.

Chris Todd would, and did, thrive in this offense this year. I'm hoping Sean White can duplicate that. I believe that with a 2009 Auburn or 2006 Tulsa offensive year, we could realistically win 10 games.

Edited by WDE_OxPx_2010

IMO Going live will not do much for Jeremy..prior to last season he saw enough live game action for many to see what he could do, hence all the high expectations he garnered before the season started. I just think when the Nick left and he became the man he could not handle the pressure of being the #1 guy. All upstairs for the kid..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Not sure how you know that.  Generally we have no idea what UGa or MSU are doing this year....and Arky has a freshman QB I think ...but they do have an established RB which we don't....but otherwise, I just don't see why AU won't put a good team on the field, capable of beating any of those guys if we play good solid football. 

I worry about the depth and about the QBs not making mistakes at key moments but beyond that, I would be quite surprised and disappointed if we do not win 8 games against one of the most difficult schedules we've had lately.   I see Bama and Clemson as likely losses.....and every other game as winnable under the right conditions. Even LSU and TAMU playing at AU.  As I look at each team and where they are, I'm just not intimidated by them.  AU has a tough schedule but I am pretty sure that our opponents are not taking AU lightly.

Speaking in general through the past 2-3 years regarding those teams. Bama has clearly done a good job of it with sub par QBs. So has LSU IMO. Considering Brandon Harris hasn't shown much and they still won 8 games last year. Brandon improved but i still don't buy he's going to be some spectacular QB this year. UGA as well. None of those QBs were that much better than say a SW IMO but those teams still managed 8+ wins or better last year. Considering their QB circumstances i feel like they got the best out of what their QB was. 

Edited by WarEagle1983
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, WFE12 said:

At first like many others I thought that jfIII would be the man. Now it's up in the air....all we need is above average qb play...all three SHOULD display but :dunno: we'll see

I'm sorry but your video of Gus and the maracas is very funny.  The frantic intensity is mesmerizing. 

Edited by Woodstock Tiger
  • Like 2

There are members of this board whom I wonder if they ever get any pleasure out of Auburn football. 

Edited by SumterAubie
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

There are members of this board whom I wonder if they ever get any pleasure out of Auburn football. 

I started lurking here in 2013 to have people to share my excitement with.  After last year I realized I had a super negative view on Auburn football that I've never had before and it made me check myself.  Just have to put blinders on for certain people, I use the "ignore" users a lot.

Still a great forum though.  Makes it easy to stay up to date and keep up with recruiting.