2016 Fall Camp - Practice 9 (Scrimmage #2)

RunInRed

57 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

I was at scrimmage. JF3 outplayed SW. SW eventually started moving the ball and looked good. Neither looked very good throwing the football. I believe SW had 2 TO JF3 1 and JF3 was on the 4th down drill. 

Was Marshall Taylor practicing?  We will need him with Dean out for a period

Very interesting that JJ sat out the scrimmage, especially when you pair that with info that Sean and JF3 played poorly. Could it be that....that JJ has moved ahead and now the "good qb battle" is for the number two spot?

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Apparently on the RANT and Twitter (not good sources). Neither did very well today. SW had two turnovers but moved the ball towards the end and JF3 had one as well. Again, not reputable sources, but all that is around. Apparently, SW did work with the 1s though and JF3 with the 2s

:nopityA:

Neither qb looked good today. But if u added in JF3 running I would definitely have him starting judging just from today's scrimmage. JJ did not play in the scrimmage today. Our defense looks very good though imo 

3 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Neither qb looked good today. But if u added in JF3 running I would definitely have him starting judging just from today's scrimmage. JJ did not play in the scrimmage today. Our defense looks very good though imo 

Yeah, but I heard SW did move the ball well towards the end. I am just perplexed, to be honest that we are in this position...Sounds like the defense and Pett did pretty good though.

Edited by DAG

4 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

If you were there, how did the corners look?  Do you feel good with Dean out?

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yeah, but I heard SW did move the ball well towards the end. I am just perplexed, to be honest that we are in this position...Sounds like the defense and Pett did pretty good though.

If the D is what some people are saying it should, they might be making either or all QBs look less than stellar. When the O looks good in a scrimmage, at least part of the explanation is a D that can't handle them.

Thus....I don't put much stock in the outcome of scrimmages...even when the QBs are "live"....and I don't recall seeing that QBs were live today.

• Like 1

For those of you wondering about why JJ did not play:

"247Sports reported the 6-foot-5, 234-pounder injured his right throwing hand earlier this week when it hit one of his teammates' helmets. Head coach Gus Malzahn said Johnson is "healthy" and continues to compete with junior college transfer John Franklin III and sophomore Sean White for the starting job. 

"Jeremy, we did hold him out but it wasn't anything that was major," Malzahn said. "We just wanted to get some more information on those two. Don't read anything in between that, it's just that's what we chose to do with the Orange.'"

Neither QB played worth the dang. Both SW and JF3 were awful. No way to sugar coat it. 

CP is a good back but lacks speed. Reminded me of PB. KM looked good. KJ didn't play much. Just limiting KJ's touches in the scrims.  

DL looked great. 

Hosley played great. 

E Stove looked good. 

D blitzed quite a bit. Played a lot of man on man. 

Seems to be some very good team chemistry. And the players all looked good on the hoof. 

Need a QB. Real bad. Told SW looked a lot better the last scrim. And JF3 has ball security issues and can't pass. 

And SW is still small. 

Edited by WarDamnEagleWDE
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

For those of you wondering about why JJ did not play:

"247Sports reported the 6-foot-5, 234-pounder injured his right throwing hand earlier this week when it hit one of his teammates' helmets. Head coach Gus Malzahn said Johnson is "healthy" and continues to compete with junior college transfer John Franklin III and sophomore Sean White for the starting job. 

"Jeremy, we did hold him out but it wasn't anything that was major," Malzahn said. "We just wanted to get some more information on those two. Don't read anything in between that, it's just that's what we chose to do with the Orange.'"

So he wants more information now but he decided against going live the first scrimmage the reason being because he already had plenty of information on them? OK

• Like 2

Thats pretty discouraging news on QB play. I think the AU defense will be better for sure, but LSU and Bama will be even better. If we can't pass the ball in a scrimmage hard to see throwing on these 2 in a real game. Really concerned about big-play potential for our offense. Pettway sounds solid but not a game-breaker big play guy. Kerryon has potential for sure and maybe Kam Martin?

Edited by CR

10 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Neither QB played worth the dang. Both SW and JF3 were awful. No way to sugar coat it. 

CP is a good back but lacks speed. Reminded me of PB. KM looked good. KJ didn't play much. Just limiting KJ's touches in the scrims.  

DL looked great. 

Hosley played great. 

E Stove looked good. 

Seems to be some very good team chemistry. And the players all looked good on the hoof. 

Need a QB. Real bad. Told SW looked a lot better the last scrim. And JF3 has ball security issues and can't pass. 

And SW is still small. 

Makes me really ponder as to why we didn't give Jerod Evans a serious look..couldn't have hurt, in lieu of the addition of JF3.

Well looking for the positive in it, if we had the defense that we have now last year, we would have won almost all of those games.  Even LSU I think since our defense just decided they wanted to go home on the second play.  

We still have the two quarterbacks that played last year so they at least have SEC experience.  We lost our receivers but they didn't do too much and our new receivers look promising.  

Sure we lost JR, but he didn't play all of our games last year anyways.  Couple that with a better offensive line to give our QB's more confidence, I still feel confident in our success this year.  

We aren't playing Clemson tomorrow, so we still have time to adjust and get more reps in.  

Edited by abw0004
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Neither QB played worth the dang. Both SW and JF3 were awful. No way to sugar coat it. We are in deep doo if we can't get at least average play from one of our QBs. 

CP is a good back but lacks speed. Reminded me of PB. KM looked good. KJ didn't play much. Just limiting KJ's touches in the scrims.  Not worried about our RBs

DL looked great. Great to hear.  They have the talent and we need them to be great.

Hosley played great. Great to hear this with Dean gone.  Hope he can stay healthy.

E Stove looked good. 

Seems to be some very good team chemistry.  This is good news!  And the players all looked good on the hoof. 

And SW is still small. 

Hopefully Gus can find some creative play calling to offset some of the QB issues.

wde

23 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

DL looked great. 

Hosley played great. 

E Stove looked good. 

And SW is still small. 

It's only August

• Like 2

I would rather they make their mistakes on the practice field and learn from them in the film room than do it on the field of play

Edited by auskip07

28 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Well looking for the positive in it, if we had the defense that we have now last year, we would have won almost all of those games.  Even LSU I think since our defense just decided they wanted to go home on the second play.  

We still have the two quarterbacks that played last year so they at least have SEC experience.  We lost our receivers but they didn't do too much and our new receivers look promising.  

Sure we lost JR, but he didn't play all of our games last year anyways.  Couple that with a better offensive line to give our QB's more confidence, I still feel confident in our success this year.  

We aren't playing Clemson tomorrow, so we still have time to adjust and get more reps in.  

Always good to read some optimism. Apparently it was a rough outing for SW and Franklin...maybe the defense gave them hell today, which can be read many ways. Very interested to see how they both respond.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

KP look like he gonna be a stud.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

DL looked great. 

Hosley played great. 

E Stove looked good. 

And SW is still small. 

This looks pretty spot on. I would give KP a little more credit, I think he has a chance to be good. Him and KJ could be a hell of a duo.

Edited by austudnt23
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IronMan70 said:

According to Marcello at 247, SW had 2 INTs, JF3 had 1 INT and 1 fumble which he recovered.

JF3 fumbled and there's no contact?  Oh boy...

15 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

This looks pretty spot on. I would give KP a little more credit, I think he has a chance to be good. Him and KJ could be a hell of a duo.

KP is going to be good. And to be fair the offense was vanilla. Boring vanilla.