Naming a Starting QB at Auburn

RunInRed

Reminded by an Al.com article today (sorry) that the injury Sean suffered during last year's Arky game was a partially torn left knee PCL. He has not had it surgically repaired and ligaments do not heal on their own though he undoubtedly had strengthening rehab similar to mine with exactly that injury. Until you have it repaired however, you're a time bomb waiting for it to tear all the way through - which happened to me while reffing a state playoff game. So if Sean IS the starter, that is a 10 ton elephant standing in the corner of the room when discussing our other QBs.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Reminded by an Al.com article today (sorry) that the injury Sean suffered during last year's Arky game was a partially torn left knee PCL. He has not had it surgically repaired and ligaments do not heal on their own though he undoubtedly had strengthening rehab similar to mine with exactly that injury. Until you have it repaired however, you're a time bomb waiting for it to tear all the way through - which happened to me while reffing a state playoff game. So if Sean IS the starter, that is a 10 ton elephant standing in the corner of the room when discussing our other QBs.

Thanks for that uplifting little tidbit. 

2 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Did they say why he did not have it repaired?

2 hours ago, TigerV6 said:

Exactly right, it was a promise when recruited that he would get the first carry in the IB.

Interesting.  Well, he needs to stop making such promises if ya ask me.  For my sake.  And for the sake of the children.  Do it for the children, Gus. 

6 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Did they say why he did not have it repaired?

It's probably not needed. I tore my MCL twice in my left knee due to football and then basketball( I rushed the healing process of my first injury). Never had surgery though. The PCL may be different. PTB can educate us all on that I suppose. 

17 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Look at AUCanucktiger, running through the room and popping everybody's balloons.  Dangit man!  Now I'm gonna be wincing every time SW takes off running.  "Oh no, SW is taking off running.  GOOD LAWD, DON'T LET HIM BUST HIS KNEE!  (SW gets tackled). OH no.  He's not...he's not getting up.  Oh no....he's grabbing his leg....wh....what's that?  He's only tying his shoe?  Phew.  Ok."

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

And i know that SW can run the ball. He doesn't have lead feet like Todd or others who started under GM. He has quickness and good footwork.

Now SW does not have the experience to run the zone read, but he can effectively run the ball to keep the defenses thinking.

It's a matter of how much, since he is not the strong type QB like a JJ or the shifty running QB like Marshall.

Quickness? I'm crying laughing at that one. I may agree with some other points though

Other people said it a little after, but like I said you have to know how to run, nobody can say sw or jj really looked as if they did. Sw fumbled alot I'm the only person that mentions it, it just always bounced the right way. Did you see sw slide. I think I saw him dive head first once and it hurt him a little. These coaches need to drill the qb on how to protect themselves is my point. Every single time I've ever was able to hit a qb I tried to kill him. That's the life of a qb

38 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Remind me again where in that quote he said "starting."

You got me there. I believe the quote was "whoever our quarterback is". That infers "starting quarterback and anybody else who plays quarterback" to me, but hey, nobody ever accused me of being particularly intelligent. 

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Quickness? I'm crying laughing at that one. I may agree with some other points though

Quickness...Did I say Quickness? Who likes the word Quickness...:).

Actually i was comparing him to other pocket passers we have had that seem to be running in concrete shoes.

If you watch the videos, he can make a quick step take off as good as most QBs who are not DT.

Maybe the word i should have used is....litheness?? ))

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

You got me there. I believe the quote was "whoever our quarterback is". That infers "starting quarterback and anybody else who plays quarterback" to me, but hey, nobody ever accused me of being particularly intelligent. 

One staple of a Gus offense is having a guy take the snap inside the 10 who is a running threat.

2009: Burns

2010: Cam

2011: Frazier

2013: Marshall

2014: Marshall

2015: Kerryon

Will be no different this season as yanking White for Franklin or Kerryon will almost be automatic inside the 10.

9 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

One staple of a Gus offense is having a guy take the snap inside the 10 who is a running threat.

2009: Burns

2010: Cam

2011: Frazier

2013: Marshall

2014: Marshall

2015: Kerryon

Will be no different this season as yanking White for Franklin or Kerryon will almost be automatic inside the 10.

Cool. Doesn't in any way dispute that Sean or Jeremy might start and run the ball more than they did last year.

Funny, I read Gus's quote and I know it would turn into a big deal, but that probably just makes me one of many.

Oh, and Sean is absolutely quick. Is he quick compared to Mike Vick or Nick Marshall? Of course not. Is he quick compared to a lot of other guys? Yes.

Why does everybody have to make such a big deal out of innocuous little adjectives like "more" and "quick"? 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Cool. Doesn't in any way dispute that Sean or Jeremy might start and run the ball more than they did last year.

Neither are effective running the Zone Read...only the QB Draw.

25 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Cool. Whichever one starts will probably run more than last season. 

25 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Correction... neither HAVE effectively run the Zone Read.  Who knows what we'll see this year.  It's not likely, but never say never.

5 hours ago, willieguns said:

why is it he is always recruiting dual threat guys?   He recruited Desean Watson and other dual threats and settled for white in that class.  Samething that happened with Queen he was willing to bring in 2 QB's in his class and torrence Gibson was one of the guys?  Who is he publically recruiting now?  All dual threat guys.  come on brother be real about it Malzan only has 2 QB's on his roster that were his top choice and that would be JJ and Woody barrett.  He took a commitment from a guy that can run and may not even be a QB in college in Tray Bishop.  He went after Lowell Narcise and Kellen Mond are those guys not runners name one pocket passer that is high on Malzan board is this class?  Lets be honest and not think Gus prefers pocket guys but the truth is his top guys are always runners. 

He prefers guys that can do it all, as do most coaches. Lots of people offered Watson and several of the others you mentioned.  He is also high on Jarrett Stidham out of Baylor, who is a dual threat, but he can sling it in case you didn't catch that.  He was also high on Davis Webb from Texas Tech, who happens to be a Pro Style QB, who can also sling it around. 

Don't kid yourself man. Every good QB that can also run well (like Watson) automatically makes your offense better due to the extra pressure he puts on the defense. That in no way means Gus wants a run first QB. He wants, like a lot of HC's (look at who Saban has been recruiting lately at the position) a complete QB who can do it all. 

12 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Correction... neither HAVE effectively run the Zone Read.  Who knows what we'll see this year.  It's not likely, but never say never.

Maybe one of them can break 150 net rushing yards this season.

Just now, VipersStrike1 said:

Maybe one of them can break 150 net rushing yards this season.

You do stick to your guns, I'll give you that.  I hope you're also the type of guy who's happy to eat crow if the team comes out and outperforms your many declarations.

3 hours ago, willieguns said:

Brandon Harris and Desean Watson were his top candidates.  we offered white after everyone else went elsewhere.  It obvious what kind of QB he wants year in and year out.

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

It maybe obvious what kind of QB Gus wants year in and year out, the question we should be asking is; why can't Gus get them on campus?  He's missed for a couple of years now.

It's simple really. Both Harris and Watson along with others thought they would have to sit behind a "sure" all American in JJ for 2 years. That perception really hurt us in recruiting. Now we are getting back on track with Barrett '16, a work in progress on '17 and Gatewood '18. JJ is a good kid but there is no question that whole episode hurt us both on the field as well as in recruiting.   

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You do stick to your guns, I'll give you that.  I hope you're also the type of guy who's happy to eat crow if the team comes out and outperforms your many declarations.

I'll gladly eat crow if we beat Clemson. Would be the 2nd biggest AU upset I've ever seen.

I don't believe crow is warranted if Johnson surpasses 150 yards net rushing considering many folks had him surpassing 1000 last season.

We know White won't.

2 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

I don't believe crow is warranted if Johnson surpasses 150 yards net rushing considering many folks had him surpassing 1000 last season.

We know White won't.

Your premise is rather fluid. 

10 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

I'll gladly eat crow if we beat Clemson. Would be the 2nd biggest AU upset I've ever seen.

We know White won't.

It would probably be the biggest AU upset I've seen. As for White... you may know he won't.  I refuse to not give our players the benefit of the doubt.

Archived