Naming a Starting QB at Auburn

RunInRed

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

First it was this and this- which is why the honorable thing would be to enjoy your crow when Sean and/or Jeremy run more than they did last year- then it was this and this, and then this- "it would be bad if Sean and/or Jeremy were more successful running this year than last", then this- somehow suggesting that the expectations for JJ last year would negate any improvement in his rushing this year. And that "we" know that White is incapable of netting 150 on the ground. Which "we" don't know at all. 

I really, truly don't care that much about the fact that our opinions differ. You know your football. It's just that the course of the conversation has been a bit off. 

I read all SIX of my posts that you referenced. Not sure whether to feel honored or stalked.

There is no fluidity or waffling in my predictions.

I said last season Johnson wouldn't break 300 net rushing yards AS THE STARTER.

Johnson & White are not Zone Read QBs.

They are adequate runners on random QB Draws.

Johnson won't break 150 net rushing yards this season.

White won't break 50 net rushing yards.

Are those still too fluid for you?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DAG said:

What are you talking about? We have a poster who said SW is as good as Trevor Knight. How?! 

Just go ahead and name me... and then read what I've posted and you will know "how".  Just for fun, I'll spell it out again.

In their first year, Sean threw for A LOT more yards than Knight, and actually had more all purpose yards per game than Knight. This was on a team that had issues galore while Knight was on a top ranked team throwing to NFL talent. Since his first year, Knight has NEVER lived up to the hype that surrounded him after the bama game. His most noteworthy stat is his touchdown to interception ratio, which included that bama game and is not good.

So... simple logic.  If Sean could do more, year 1, with a train wreck for a team, and Knight has just been ok since his big game, it's not a big leap at all to say Sean, as a second year starter with better support will meet or exceed what Knight has been able to do since that Sugar Bowl.

12 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

Compared to Trevor Knight?   also people implies more than one. 

Yes, more than one has said it.

Sorry but I gotta say this. SW is not fast. I would not call him Chris Todd slow since I have seen his name in this thread but he is not going to scare any defense with his running ability. He does have the ability to scramble around in the pocket to find open wr down field and he does this well. 

4 hours ago, auskip07 said:

So your upset he compared sean white to a guy whose claim to fame is beaing alabama in a bowl game they didnt want to be in the first place and also lost his QB job and had to transfer? 

There is no such thing. If they didn't want to be there, they didn't have to accept the invitation. I thought it was stupid when Alabama fans said it. I think it is even more stupid that you are repeating it. They got beat, plain and simple. Yes, I think it is a bit asinine to compare SW to a QB who led his team to victory against our biggest rival, on one of the biggest stages.  I would love for SW to beat Bama in a game that "they don't care about." Oh, and btw, if that QB from OU transferred here, SW would be out the door too. He wasn't battling any random JUCO QB.

Just now, austudnt23 said:

Sorry but I gotta say this. SW is not fast. I would not call him Chris Todd slow since I have seen his name in this thread but he is not going to scare any defense with his running ability. He does have the ability to scramble around in the pocket to find open wr down field and he does this well. 

He's definitely going to need a hole if he's going to get much yardage with his legs, and he's not going to run away from anyone.  That being said, I was surprised how shifty he could be in some of his highlights.

18 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Well, by increasing leg strength... or working on his form....or working on plyometrics...or any number of the 100's of things college football players go through during offseasons. But maybe that only works for athletes not named Sean White.

Other than a significant weight loss causing it, have never heard of a College Football player, maintaining the same weight, getting faster from one season to the next. Perhaps your "faster" is 1/100 second faster in the 40. My definition of "faster" is at least 1/10 of a second, which is about the minimum increment needed to be noticeable to the untrained naked eye.

To boot, White is coming off a knee injury. How do you know he's "faster" than prior to the injury, when he hasn't played a game yet?

To my untrained eye, White appeared to run ~ 4.7 prior to his injury. Since he didn't have knee surgery and didn't lose more than 10 lbs, I would venture ~ 4.7 this season as well. Maybe I'm wrong, but I bet I'm close.

15 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Just go ahead and name me... and then read what I've posted and you will know "how".  Just for fun, I'll spell it out again.

In their first year, Sean threw for A LOT more yards than Knight, and actually had more all purpose yards per game than Knight. This was on a team that had issues galore while Knight was on a top ranked team throwing to NFL talent. Since his first year, Knight has NEVER lived up to the hype that surrounded him after the bama game. His most noteworthy stat is his touchdown to interception ratio, which included that bama game and is not good.

So... simple logic.  If Sean could do more, year 1, with a train wreck for a team, and Knight has just been ok since his big game, it's not a big leap at all to say Sean, as a second year starter with better support will meet or exceed what Knight has been able to do since that Sugar Bowl.

Lionheart, you post some very quality stuff. I just can't agree with this. There is no way you can know this. Is it possible? Sure. 

I am not saying, no way SW can't do this. I am simply saying, at least let him be the man for one game before we put expectations like that. You are saying this so matter of factly.

I agree 23. What Sean has is what I would call escapability. He moves very well in the pocket and always keeps his eyes down field.  Although not blazing fast, he has the very real ability to extend drives with his feet.

4 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Did you ever get confirmation on who was named the starter? 

31 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

in 7 games... That's 5 yards per game.  Unless you're only expecting us to play 10 games this season, 50 yards would be worse. 

Or White may not play all 12 regular season games this season.

With the volatility at QB in Fall camp, don't discount that.

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I agree 23. What Sean has is what I would call escapability. He moves very well in the pocket and always keeps his eyes down field.  Although not blazing fast, he has the very real ability to extend drives with his feet.

Yep bird I agree and he does this very well. 

9 minutes ago, WaynesAUworld said:

Did you ever get confirmation on who was named the starter? 

Not yet. I haven't spoken with anybody yet it would be later.

Just now, austudnt23 said:

Not yet. I haven't spoken with anybody yet it would be later.

Oh ok. Thank you for all the info you bring to the board. :wareagle:  :cheers: 

17 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Other than a significant weight loss causing it, have never heard of a College Football player, maintaining the same weight, getting faster from one season to the next. Perhaps your "faster" is 1/100 second faster in the 40. My definition of "faster" is at least 1/10 of a second, which is about the minimum increment needed to be noticeable to the untrained naked eye.

To boot, White is coming off a knee injury. How do you know he's "faster" than prior to the injury, when he hasn't played a game yet?

To my untrained eye, White appeared to run ~ 4.7 prior to his injury. Since he didn't have knee surgery and didn't lose more than 10 lbs, I would venture ~ 4.7 this season as well. Maybe I'm wrong, but I bet I'm close.

Seriously? That's the whole point of the off-season. In the most generic way of thinking, Linemen get bigger and stronger and skill get stronger and faster. There is no way that one goes through an off season where strength  and speed is a focus and not get stronger and faster. You literally have to not try in order to maintain. The work itself ensures the progression of the athlete. If Sean was not busting his ass during the off-season, he would not be even considered for the starting role. 

As far as his speed goes, it was reported he ran in the 4.9-5.0 range when he got here. I would say 4.7-4.8 is where you will see him this season also.

39 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

2nd biggest upset you have seen?? Easy on that one. Auburn is as talented to more so at every position on the field except qb.

No question it would be the 2nd biggest upset in AU history that I've seen. That goes back to 82.

Auburn is as talented to more so at every position on the field except qb?

WR? RB? Center? TE? DT? LB? CB?

Please stop.

45 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

It would only be an upset In closed minds . Actually it is a new year different teams and no one knows how either one will play. If you look at the overall roster based on recruiting the last Four years AU has a talent advantage over Clemson. Both lost players to the NFL and both have coaches that have proven they can make it to the final game . If you take away a late score by uat because AU went for it on Fourth deep in our territory we would have had a single digit loss and if uat had not been up two scores on Clemson they probably would not have allowed that last TD by Clemson. So when AU wins against Clemson only the uninformed will call it an  upset. WDE

Tony Elliott > Lashlee

Venables > Steele

We played bammer at home. Clemson played bammer at a neutral site.

bammer needed a kickoff return AND onside kick to beat Clemson.

Uninformed indeed.

24 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Or White may not play all 12 regular season games this season.

With the volatility at QB in Fall camp, don't discount that.

I honestly think the volatility has been overblown.  It was Sean before camp... then Sean up until the second scrimmage.  The performance wasn't great in scrimmage 2 and I think Gus probably wanted to make it clear that no one's job is safe. The fact that early reports are that the depth chart is Sean, then Jeremy with a hurt throwing hand, then John makes it pretty clear that John wasn't a real threat. Now, if that proves to be untrue, I stand corrected and maybe it is more volatile. 

To all the White haters answer me this....how many games did he lose for us? After re-watching some games I'm pretty sure I saw MULTIPLE dropped passes, and poorly ran routes. I can't use the level of his play while injured bc that would not be a fair comparison. Just taking out 1/2 the dropped passes we are a 9 win team

15 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Seriously? That's the whole point of the off-season. In the most generic way of thinking, Linemen get bigger and stronger and skill get stronger and faster. There is no way that one goes through an off season where strength  and speed is a focus and not get stronger and faster. You literally have to not try in order to maintain. The work itself ensures the progression of the athlete. If Sean was not busting his ass during the off-season, he would not be even considered for the starting role. 

As far as his speed goes, it was reported he ran in the 4.9-5.0 range when he got here. I would say 4.7-4.8 is where you will see him this season also.

Yup. Seriously. Point out a single Auburn skill player that has increased their 40 time by 1/10 second from one season to the next without losing weight.

15 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

To all the White haters answer me this....how many games did he lose for us? After re-watching some games I'm pretty sure I saw MULTIPLE dropped passes, and poorly ran routes. I can't use the level of his play while injured bc that would not be a fair comparison. Just taking out 1/2 the dropped passes we are a 9 win team

Why is everybody persistent on the dropped passes excuse? Did SW not misfire any or was he perfect ever time?

And why does two or three posters saying pump the brakes on the SW hype train make them haters?

1 hour ago, VipersStrike1 said:

I read all SIX of my posts that you referenced. Not sure whether to feel honored or stalked.

There is no fluidity or waffling in my predictions.

I said last season Johnson wouldn't break 300 net rushing yards AS THE STARTER.

Johnson & White are not Zone Read QBs.

They are adequate runners on random QB Draws.

Johnson won't break 150 net rushing yards this season.

White won't break 50 net rushing yards.

Are those still too fluid for you?

You're more invested in winning an argument than in having a conversation or being accurate. Your subsequent posts in this thread really drive that home. 

Archived