Naming a Starting QB at Auburn

RunInRed

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Nah...first play will be from the wildcat with KJ.

I think a lot of folks would be good with that all season from the sounds of it. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a feeling that Gus will announce our Starter some time this coming weekend. After Saturday we will only have 2 weeks before the Clemson game. At that point you have to give your starter the lion's share of the reps to get your timing down. Because of the amount of reps SW got in last scrimmage I think he will win out but I wouldn't be surprised to see a few JF3 packages.

I don't care if anyone is named the starter honestly as long as the guy who's going to start is getting the reps with the 1s starting ASAP

24 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I bet he keeps it :)

As someone mentioned earlier, the young receivers that we anticipate playing early would benefit now, especially further down the road, with an accurate passer.  We seem to have some mature kids, but younger players might have a higher tendency to get frustrated and/or lack confidence if the QB can't put the ball where it needs to be.  I can see a benefit to SW or even JJ starting over JF3 for the receiver development.  JJ can be accurate if he just makes a decision and goes with it.  I find his problems were expanded once he started hesitating where to go, which also tips off the defenders where he may be trying to throw the ball.  I honestly think that is the source of JJs issues - quicker decision making in running and passing.

27 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

As someone mentioned earlier, the young receivers that we anticipate playing early would benefit now, especially further down the road, with an accurate passer.  We seem to have some mature kids, but younger players might have a higher tendency to get frustrated and/or lack confidence if the QB can't put the ball where it needs to be.  I can see a benefit to SW or even JJ starting over JF3 for the receiver development.  JJ can be accurate if he just makes a decision and goes with it.  I find his problems were expanded once he started hesitating where to go, which also tips off the defenders where he may be trying to throw the ball.  I honestly think that is the source of JJs issues - quicker decision making in running and passing.

I tend to agree about JJ. He was fine as a backup during his FR and SO years, as he would only come in to throw a specific pass. ONce Defenses schemed with him as the starter, he seemed hesitant, and seeing film, he threw to the receiver he wanted to go to regardless if they were covered. A QB,especially a passing one, HAS to be able to preread the defense, and THEN adjust when it looks like his initial go to guy is covered. JJ did not go quickly enough or react fast enough to make the right throw.

That is what makes a great or just a very good passing QB,especially in college.

I think if White had more arm strength he would be more successful. 

27 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I get what you are saying.  I also think a more diverse, less elementary, upgraded passing game (in terms of routes and play calls)  would be really helpful as well for our QBs.

wde

1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

I get what you are saying.  I also think a more diverse, less elementary, upgraded passing game (in terms of routes and play calls)  would be really helpful as well for our QBs.

wde

I tend to agree here and this is why I believe we don't need a true dual threat guy to make the offense click.  If you look at the 1st quarter of the A&M game and the 2nd half of the bowl game, our offense moved the ball well by utilizing 8-12 yard routes (slants, quick outs, etc), whereas for most of last year, we seemingly either threw it 40 yards deep or tossed over a bubble screen.  Note that both games I mentioned had different QBs, but the same result. 

If Gus/Rhett truly play to their team's strengths, then getting the ball to playmakers in space on these quick routes will do wonders for the running game, as the linebackers will have to drop back and respect the pass.  A perfect example is Baylor.  The highlights show the bombs, but most of their passing offense under Bryles was predicated on the philosophy mentioned above.  The bombs come later as DBs cheat up to cover the shorter routes. 

As for mobility, we don't need a QB that can go 40 yards every time he runs.  Simply having a guy that can get 5-7 yards once or twice a quarter is more than enough to keep the defense honest.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Followed by wholesale substitutions and everyone staring at the sidelines, followed by the dive up the middle.

A TE drag or bootleg to the TE would do wonders for this offense. I wished we involved our TEs more. This teams appears to have 2 VERY capable HBs in the receiving game to utilize them as a threat. That would freeze the LBs a little and open up slants to JSmith IMO. I look for JSmith to become our version of Fitzgerald this season. He's beefed up some and has good speed and hands.

15 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Followed by wholesale substitutions and everyone staring at the sidelines, followed by the dive up the middle.

Spot on. 3rd and long, play action that takes too long to develop.

2 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

quoting coach jordan, " you are so right,carl"

wde

4 minutes ago, Piketiger1990 said:

Spot on. 3rd and long, play action that takes too long to develop.

It's funny because who is falling for the run fake on a 3rd and long when our last 2 plays had our RB crashing into the RG's butt?

8 minutes ago, Tiger said:

It's funny because who is falling for the run fake on a 3rd and long when our last 2 plays had our RB crashing into the RG's butt?

apparently our coaches are 

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Ah... the famous Prairie Dog offense.

4 hours ago, steeleagle said:

The only way i feel the receivers really get to improve and help this team is if White is throwing it. 

I just feel JFIII will not be consistent passing the ball, or has the experience reading defenses or moving the ball through the air iwhen we want to much less when we need to. He will simply take off over half the time in passing situations because that is what he does best and KNOWS the best.

I am fine with JF3 with getting a look as the season progresses but I really don't get the feeling he is going to be or should be our starter.  Even the sports radio hosts are assuming JF3 as our starting QB - at least the ones up here in Clemson country. 

Frankly, I don't get it.  

We've seen how good SW can be and we know how good JJ can be,  I just don't understand why everyone is so eager to "give" the job to JF3, based on...... nothing except some physical stats.   I say go with SW and/or JJ and work JF3 in gradually, depending on results.

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Meerkats

meerkat-fusion.jpg

Clear illegal substitution there.

14 "men" on the field?? #FireMalzahn

EDIT: Seriously - if someone could photoshop little Auburn jerseys on these guys, it would get a chuckle out of me. Bonus for adding helmets with orange facemasks.

Just now, bryanlooney said:

Clear illegal substitution there.

14 "men" on the field?? #FireMalzahn

:laugh:  That's good!! 

I also noticed that what may be the center - is not looking at the play call.    :no:

33 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Meerkats

meerkat-fusion.jpg

That's it...Meerkats.  Started with Tony Franklin.  Drives my Dad NUTS!!

42 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I just don't understand why everyone is so eager to "give" the job to JF3, based on...... nothing except some physical stats. 

Cam Newton and Nick Marshall were successful. They could run fast. JF3 can run fast. So JF3 should be our quarterback. 

That's literally the line of thinking around here. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Cam Newton and Nick Marshall were successful. They could run fast. JF3 can run fast. So JF3 should be our quarterback. 

Not ME!  I'm pulling for the the slow guys who throw to the guys who can't catch. :poke:

44 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Don't remind us.....:slapfh:

yeah thanks..you just rem

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That's great if all we need to do to score is run, but that is not going to happen against the good teams in the SEC.

They are going to FORCE the QB to throw, and Cam and especially Marshall were and will show they are MUCH better passers than JFIII. I was at the ADay game, and i saw some ugly trajectories of JFIII passes. lol

Archived