Naming a Starting QB at Auburn

RunInRed

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Gus Malzahn > Tony Elliott

Lashlee is not running the offense this year.

Tony Elliott won 14 games last season AFTER losing their NFL prototype WR in the first game...and STILL set multiple team records.

We lost our NFL prototype WR after Game 5 and lost 4 more games.

Right...Gus has HINTED at calling the plays. What was his quote? " I’m going to be a lot more hands-on "?

I pray he calls the plays this year. Remains to be seen.

I'm sure that demotion of responsibilities would be a fun exit for his boy.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JMassie11 said:

To all the White haters answer me this....how many games did he lose for us? After re-watching some games I'm pretty sure I saw MULTIPLE dropped passes, and poorly ran routes. I can't use the level of his play while injured bc that would not be a fair comparison. Just taking out 1/2 the dropped passes we are a 9 win team

Good thing we replaced Craig with Burns.

National Champs!

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

You're more invested in winning an argument than in having a conversation or being accurate. Your subsequent posts in this thread really drive that home. 

Nope. Simply stated one of my predictions from last season (which was accurate) and some of my predictions for this season. No fluidity. No waffling.

Always ready to have a conversation about AU football. I crave it like water in a desert.

Did I drive that home well enough?

2 hours ago, VipersStrike1 said:

No question it would be the 2nd biggest upset in AU history that I've seen. That goes back to 82.

Auburn is as talented to more so at every position on the field except qb?

WR? RB? Center? TE? DT? LB? CB?

Please stop.

Off topic, I know, but just curious... You would put this AU team beating Clemson higher on the upset scale than '93 AU over UF?

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

Players get faster every season of that is the intention.  If the international to put on weight or lose weight they may do that.  To get to ideal physique for their positions.  And trust me kids 16-22 get a lot faster then 1/10 of a second from year to year especially if they are just starting training at college level

It might be their intention to get faster. Intentions and accomplishments are two galaxies apart.

Provide a link that shows one AU skill player has gained 1/10 second from one season to the next without losing weight.

1 minute ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

I'm sure glad we did, Burns has to be a better WR coach. Craig is not a good WR coach.

Unfortunately. I believe DC's primary purpose was recruiter... His actual coaching responsibilities were wasted on the wrong position. I blame allegiance to CRL by CGM for that.

19 minutes ago, muxi87 said:

And also like I said earlier,this is hardly "earth shattering news"...I think it's what most of us expected anyway.

While it's not earth shattering, I have serious doubts that most of us expected this order. I've been hearing it was SW and JF3.  I am pretty skeptical about this inside info. No offense to you.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

ANY OF THE SKILL PLAYERS.  I don't have the time or inclination to prove your absurdity. I KNOW it happens...every year.  The fact that you don't is kind of telling. 

Let me just ask you this. What do you think the function of a strength and conditioning program is? Also, why do you think skill players and linemen do different types if workouts?  

REALLY? You KNOW? EVERY YEAR? PROVIDE A LINK. TAKE THE TIME to prove my absurdity.

Building strength and increasing conditioning are easily accomplished. Common people do that every day working out on their own.

Gaining 1/10 second in the 40 isn't easily accomplished.

In track and at the combine, practicing techniques, such as getting off the starting line certainly helps.

There's a reason for the adage, "There's no substitute for speed." You are either born with it or not.

1 hour ago, austudnt23 said:

Dt- absolutely, cb- at least as good, rb- the have a good one but KP and KJ can be a real good combo.

Lb-remains to be seen.

Center- they have us there.

Wr- we are loaded with young talent. Also Davis seems to be stepping up and leading as a senior.

U r kidding yourself to say that this would be the 2nd biggest upset since 1982 with all the talent that we have on this team.

DT - Watkins 34 tackles / 7.5 TFL / 3.5 sacks / 1 INT / 3 PBU / 2 QBH

CB - Tankersley 48 tackles / 3.5 TFL / 1 sack / 5 INTs / 9 PBU

LB - Boulware 82 tackles / 8 TFL / 3.5 sacks / 2 INTs / 7 PBU / 10 QBH / 3 FF / 1 FR

RB - Gallman 1740 total yards / 14 total TDs

Center - Guillermo (2015 2nd Team All-Conference / 2016 Preseason 1st Team All-Conference)

WR - Ranked #1 in the NATION by TWO different publications:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/top-10-wide-receivers-clemson-alabama-michigan-oregon-080116

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-top-40-wide-receiver-groups-2016

2nd biggest upset since 1982.

16 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

While it's not earth shattering, I have serious doubts that most of us expected this order. I've been hearing it was SW and JF3.  I am pretty skeptical about this inside info. No offense to you.

My observation is this: SW and JJ run "the same offense", therefore JJ is SW's in game backup...JF3 has a different "game plan".  If mid-game SW were to get hurt, JF3 would still get his touches but JJ would be the backup in THAT single game.  What would happen during a multi-week injury would be a mystery in my opinion...

Just my view of the way it's laid out.

And again, I in no way claim to have these "inside sources".  I simply rarely end up getting some first hand info that I don't ask for.  I literally woke up to an unprovoked text stating it...from a friend I've know since high school, and we both went to AU and randomly from time to time know people with direct AD connections.

1 minute ago, muxi87 said:

My observation is this: SW and JJ run "the same offense", therefore JJ is SW's in game backup...JF3 has a different "game plan".  If mid-game SW were to get hurt, JF3 would still get his touches but JJ would be the backup in THAT single game.  What would happen during a multi-week injury would be a mystery in my opinion...

Just my view of the way it's laid out.

And again, I in no way claim to have these "inside sources".  I simply rarely end up getting some first hand info that I don't ask for.  I literally woke up to an unprovoked text stating it...from a friend I've know since high school, and we both went to AU and randomly from time to time know people with direct AD connections.

I appreciate you sharing and we shall see. If this is true, going to get JF3 didn't give the desired effect Gus was hoping for. We need that speed on the field...Not just in small packages. 

While us beating Clemson would be an upset, it's not that big of an upset. I promise you we have just as many 4 and 5 star players. Sometime talent wins games that the scheme wouldn't. Like Manziel against bama. U think Ole miss beating bama 2 is any different than us beating Clemson? I don't, there the same kind of upset. Talent is pretty equal. Minus QB.

37 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Off topic, I know, but just curious... You would put this AU team beating Clemson higher on the upset scale than '93 AU over UF?

93 AU was 6-0 when they beat UF. Historic win but I wouldn't put it in my Top 20 biggest AU upsets.

Plus, Wuerffel was a Redshirt Freshman in 93. He was panicked often into costly mistakes as Freshmen QBs oft do.

Watson is perhaps the most poised and polished True Junior Dual Threat QB I've ever seen. (Notice I said "True" Junior, which excludes Cam).

45 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

I'm sure glad we did, Burns has to be a better WR coach. Craig is not a good WR coach.

Burns has to be? Remains to be seen. He'll get to coach three Top 20 Freshmen WRs, whom Craig brought us.

LSU has two good starting WRs with the same QB. We'll see what happens to their production w Craig.

38 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

REALLY? You KNOW? EVERY YEAR? PROVIDE A LINK. TAKE THE TIME to prove my absurdity.

Building strength and increasing conditioning are easily accomplished. Common people do that every day working out on their own.

Gaining 1/10 second in the 40 isn't easily accomplished.

In track and at the combine, practicing techniques, such as getting off the starting line certainly helps.

There's a reason for the adage, "There's no substitute for speed." You are either born with it or not.

Yes, I do know.  This is what I do and what i know.  You are wrong in your initial premise and that is affecting your argument. Speed has a finite limit, but elite athletes do not reach that point in high school. They continue to get bigger and faster. Therefore, each year that they go through the offseason, they tend to get faster until they reach their full potential.  Some don't fully realize it while in school.

With a simple search, I found this. It talks about speed training in college. It specifically talks about a player gaining weight and becoming faster...weird, huh?

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/9630732/oregon-ducks-use-speed-school-train-fastest-offense-espn-magazine

45 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Unfortunately. I believe DC's primary purpose was recruiter... His actual coaching responsibilities were wasted on the wrong position. I blame allegiance to CRL by CGM for that.

Not disagreeing with you, but if Craig was coaching the wrong position, why was he hired to coach WRs at a different program?

14 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

While us beating Clemson would be an upset, it's not that big of an upset. I promise you we have just as many 4 and 5 star players. Sometime talent wins games that the scheme wouldn't. Like Manziel against bama. U think Ole miss beating bama 2 is any different than us beating Clemson? I don't, there the same kind of upset. Talent is pretty equal. Minus QB.

Ole Miss was a miracle 4th Down play from winning the West. Ole Miss-bammer was never close till the 4th Q. Ole Miss controlled that game from start to finish.

AU/Clemson talent is near equal on defense.

Comparing their offense to our's is like comparing 2010 AU to 2015 AU.

Said it in a previous post...

Our presumptive starters at the skill positions (White, Pettway, Kerryon, Jason Smith, Marcus Davis and Stevens) have a grand total of 9 total TDs between them from 2015. NINE.

Clemson's presumptive starters at the skill positions (Watson, Gallman, Leggett, Mike Williams, Scott and Renfrow) have a grand total of 82 total TDs between them from 2015. EIGHTY-TWO. And that's with Mike Williams only playing one half in the first game last season. Williams had 6 TDs in 2014. Now he has a MUCH better QB throwing him the ball.

82 to 9.

Likely not a larger disparity in offensive TDs in the first weekend's matchups.

1 minute ago, VipersStrike1 said:

93 AU was 6-0 when they beat UF. Historic win but I wouldn't put it in my Top 20 biggest AU upsets.

Plus, Wuerffel was a Redshirt Freshman in 93. He was panicked often into costly mistakes as Freshmen QBs oft do.

Watson is perhaps the most poised and polished True Junior Dual Threat QB I've ever seen. (Notice I said "True" Junior, which excludes Cam).

Okay, I gotcha... You're a nuts and bolts guy (the mano a mano, statistically speaking,  of it all).  I get it and respect where you're coming from.

Just for conversation's sake, I was thinking more along the lines of the "historic" nature of it.  Sure AU was 6-0 but look who those 6 wins were against at that point..and remember that was not the same OM, LSU or even MSU that we have today on top of Vandy & Sanford. Heck, Southern Miss might have been their 2nd toughest game behind LSU at that point... but after CPD's last two years, AU hiring a HC from Sanford (may be a Bowden, but it wasnt' Bobby.....wasn't even Tommy),  and ONLY Auburn people believed they could beat mighty Spurrier?

I definitely put this in the top 5 (maybe 2 or 3) since I've been aware of AU football (since late 70's).  I think that game singlehandedly catapulted the 93 Tigers the rest of the way, to one of the greatest stories in Auburn history.

Of course, we have a whole season to go through before determining the ranking of THIS game (on those terms).

War Eagle!

Archived