Naming a Starting QB at Auburn

RunInRed

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

We also forget that Ricardo was the guy who caught the ball against UGA in '13. I don't care what anybody says, the intelligence to put himself in the only position where he'd have a chance and the concentration to haul it in were amazing. And he was pretty good with the ball in his hands. And he was a soldier for this team through good years and bad. But I don't think he was the guy to bail out his QB like I think Duke did for Nick a few times in '14 or like Mike Evans did every Saturday for Manziel. (To be fair, I'm not sure I've ever seen a quarterback owe his first paycheck to a receiver more than Manziel owed Evans his.) I love the guy and I argued like hell that he should and would get drafted, but I won't remember him for his hands like a Darvin Adams or a Courtney Taylor or even an Emory Blake.

Sorry... way more words about Ricardo than I should have typed in a QB thread. We agree that the drops excuse just for Sean is BS, because it applied equally to both QBs. But I do think that both QBs dealt with sub-par WR play in '15, and I feel like- '14 IB excluded- our WR play has steadily declined under Gus. This year we find out if it was a CDC problem or a Gus problem. Like you said, no excuses now.

I agree. And that was a very bad game from the wr's. But I have a problem with taking that game and (some) people pretty much saying sw stats would be awesome in general but drops.....just about every team minus Clemson, ole miss, Baylor and a few others had the same problem. Especially if the best guy on the team left or was injured. Every team deal with drops. 2014 I can't remember against who maybe one of the Mississippi teams early in the season if they caught all their passes we may have been in trouble...That's football. It's not just a particular problem that only he went through. Which I understand is what you were saying too.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I agree. And that was a very bad game from the wr's. But I have a problem with taking that game and (some) people pretty much saying sw stats would be awesome in general but drops.....just about every team minus Clemson, ole miss, Baylor and a few others had the same problem. Especially if the best guy on the team left or was injured. Every team deal with drops. 2014 I can't remember against who maybe one of the Mississippi teams early in the season if they caught all their passes we may have been in trouble...That's football. It's not just a particular problem that only he went through. Which I understand is what you were saying too.

Always happy when we agree, lol.

2006 LSU game sticks out to me, too. Everybody blames John Vaughn for the loss, but if LSU's future NFL WRs don't drop a couple easy TDs in that game, it's not even close. 

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Trying to confirm but there is a rumor going around that the players have been told who the starter is. 

I've heard the same.

2 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I've heard the same.

I hope so because it's time to get ready. Now or never

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Always happy when we agree, lol.

2006 LSU game sticks out to me, too. Everybody blames John Vaughn for the loss, but if LSU's future NFL WRs don't drop a couple easy TDs in that game, it's not even close. 

Remember the ole miss game when obamamanu (sp?) Dropped that td against ole miss. Wasn't he one of the best wr we've had? When we talk about the best wr group at Auburn aren't they always one of the FIRST mentioned? Part of the game my dude. Jerry rice has dropped a pass before.....well maybe not Jerry but Randy moss has lol. You know what happened if you were stupid enough to talk smack after he dropped it? He probably had a 4-5 td day on you

Just now, cole256 said:

Remember the ole miss game when obamamanu (sp?) Dropped that td against ole miss. Wasn't he one of the best wr we've had? When we talk about the best wr group at Auburn aren't they always one of the FIRST mentioned? Part of the game my dude. Jerry rice has dropped a pass before.....well maybe not Jerry but Randy moss has lol. You know what happened if you were stupid enough to talk smack after he dropped it? He probably had a 4-5 td day on you

Haha, yup. Ugh. Was at that game. 

We had a variety of issues last year. D was not that good we had 2nd tier teams run on us and control the clock. We had no pass rush. O-Line was not good enough to ram the ball down teams throat when we were in the Red Zone. Neither QB actually won the job last year it went back and forth due to incompetence. Receiving corp was not that good. Even when you look at SW good games he was not able to finish the drives with TD's. KJ or somebody else had to.  As the season went on and Lawson got better D improved toward end of season but still was not great.

JJ has the tools great arm, Big body medium speed, can be accurate. Problems is locks on to receiver and panics. Runs hard on planned runs but tentative when trying to decide to run or pass. SW is tough kid who will stand in the pocket can be accurate, coaches didn't trust him in Red Zone, doesn't run whether that is by design or hesitant I don't know. JF3 very little experience, Super Fast,  small, has had a tendency toward turnovers, accuracy issues. That is all the negatives.

D-Line should be great this year, Have some really good to great DB's returning, Hoping LB play will be better. D should be a big improvement over last year. Interior of O-Line should be really stout, Tackle play is a question mark but has potential, Having some solid RB's. SW has a year of experience so should be better, JJ has worked hard and played much better at end of year maybe he has turned the corner.  JF3 gives us some run options at QB who can still throw a little. Biggest improvement I see is the statement the coaches made that the QB's will run more. IF JJ or SW is QB knowing that the coaches want them to run more there should be less hesitation if JF3 is playing that is what he does best.  We have a bumper crop of talented young receivers.

8 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I didn't hear a name. I assume it is White. 

One would assume . Seen crazier things in sports happen though.

2 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Even when you look at SW good games he was not able to finish the drives with TD's. KJ or somebody else had to.

doesn't run whether that is by design or hesitant

I put all of that squarely on coaching. KJ or somebody else didn't "have to" finish drives with TDs. That was Gus's decision. I vehemently disagree with the notion that Gus had any legitimate reason to believe that Sean was suddenly a different quarterback inside the 20s after moving the ball down the field effectively. Go back and watch the MSU game. Sean sacked up. Gus did not. Both made mistakes but one was a player in his first start and the other was a head coach in his 3rd season. Just my opinion, of course. 

Gus mismanaged the QBs last season, he picked the wrong band-aid in the offseason and he's seemingly done little to inspire confidence in anybody this fall. I'll give the "Gus is dumb" crowd that much. Let's hope that he now gets behind his guy and gives him a chance to succeed. 

I agree, Loof.  Sean wasn't really given much of a chance inside the RZ.  He was almost always replaced.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I put all of that squarely on coaching. KJ or somebody else didn't "have to" finish drives with TDs. That was Gus's decision. I vehemently disagree with the notion that Gus had any legitimate reason to believe that Sean was suddenly a different quarterback inside the 20s after moving the ball down the field effectively. Go back and watch the MSU game. Sean sacked up. Gus did not. Both made mistakes but one was a player in his first start and the other was a head coach in his 3rd season. Just my opinion, of course. 

Gus mismanaged the QBs last season, he picked the wrong band-aid in the offseason and he's seemingly done little to inspire confidence in anybody this fall. I'll give the "Gus is dumb" crowd that much. Let's hope that he now gets behind his guy and gives him a chance to succeed. 

I agree with you on this. That is why on the positive side was that Gus has said whoever is the QB he will run. That green light can go a long way in addressing hesitancy that I saw in both SW and JJ when they had to decide to run or not.

3 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I agree with you on this. That is why on the positive side was that Gus has said whoever is the QB he will run. That green light can go a long way in addressing hesitancy that I saw in both SW and JJ when they had to decide to run or not.

Amen, sir. 

6 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

I am going to laugh my butt off when SW or JJ are named "starter" and JF3 comes out for the first play from scrimmage.

for only one play?  hilarious 

53 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Not everyone had a torn PCL. Every coach in the country would like a Cam Newton or DeShaun Watson that have all the tools.  That doesn't mean Gus wants "stable of running QB's".  I'll bet he'd be fine with just some good QB's that executed the offense and didn't turn it over, regardless of style.  If they can run too, then even better. 

why is it he is always recruiting dual threat guys?   He recruited Desean Watson and other dual threats and settled for white in that class.  Samething that happened with Queen he was willing to bring in 2 QB's in his class and torrence Gibson was one of the guys?  Who is he publically recruiting now?  All dual threat guys.  come on brother be real about it Malzan only has 2 QB's on his roster that were his top choice and that would be JJ and Woody barrett.  He took a commitment from a guy that can run and may not even be a QB in college in Tray Bishop.  He went after Lowell Narcise and Kellen Mond are those guys not runners name one pocket passer that is high on Malzan board is this class?  Lets be honest and not think Gus prefers pocket guys but the truth is his top guys are always runners. 

51 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

...we have a lawyer on board. No, not necessarily for just one play. But I was kind of kidding too - that whole humor thing. And yes I know, sarcasm and humor are not always apparent in writing.

It makes sense for SW to be the starter, JJ the backup and JF3 having a specific package of plays each week. If JF3 can play himself into the starting job then we have a better QB than SW.  If he can't then Gus loses nothing. It's all on JF3. 

10 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

I am going to laugh my butt off when SW or JJ are named "starter" and JF3 comes out for the first play from scrimmage.

Hey, don't laugh. These offensive coaches will do JUST that. It has been done before..so why should it change? 

I expect, depending on where we start our first offensive snap to see JFIII on the first play, or run the next series alone.

It is written in the scrolls of GM's offense...lol.

Archived