Naming a Starting QB at Auburn

RunInRed

32 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The fact that early reports are that the depth chart is Sean, then Jeremy with a hurt throwing hand, then John makes it pretty clear that John wasn't a real threat. 

Link?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Players get bigger stronger faster every season of that is the intention.  If the international to put on weight or lose weight they may do that.  To get to ideal physique for their positions.  And trust me kids 16-22 get a lot faster then 1/10 of a second from year to year especially if they are just starting training at college level

3 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

:-\

They have. Said he was better than both Harris and Knight. Heck, even compared him to Mayfield.

22 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Yup. Seriously. Point out a single Auburn skill player that has increased their 40 time by 1/10 second from one season to the next without losing weight.

ANY OF THE SKILL PLAYERS.  I don't have the time or inclination to prove your absurdity. I KNOW it happens...every year.  The fact that you don't is kind of telling. 

Let me just ask you this. What do you think the function of a strength and conditioning program is? Also, why do you think skill players and linemen do different types if workouts?  

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

They have. Said he was better than both Harris and Knight. Heck, even compared him to Mayfield.

Then they must be right. 

4 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Players get bigger stronger faster every season of that is the intention.  If the international to put on weight or lose weight they may do that.  To get to ideal physique for their positions.  And trust me kids 16-22 get a lot faster then 1/10 of a second from year to year especially if they are just starting training at college level

But the only ones that got faster were the only ones that lost weight, right? Good Lord, what a freaking idiotic notion. That alone negates, or at least devalues, any good points previously made.

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I said he was better than Harris (and I will accept all arguments that Harris's failings are a symptom of the system) and as good as or better than Knight.  No clue who compared him to Mayfield.  He is the definition of an elite QB. Sean would have to make HUGE gains to be at that level.

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

And he does compare to Mayfield, when you compare their 1st seasons.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

I guess their QBR is somewhat close, but Mayfield still did A LOT more than Sean in his first 8 games.  Over 1000 more yards and 12 touchdowns (not counting on the ground) in only 1 more game then Sean had. I think Sean has shown a huge amount of potential, but Mayfield still seems to be on another level, even in his first year.

7 hours ago, cole256 said:

I've actually been told on here that Gus preferred white over Watson. That's when I knew this had went too far....But

Who the hell ever said that is an idiot. D. Watson was #1 on our board and off the top of my head can't remember who was #2.

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Okay 

<_<

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I guess their QBR is somewhat close, but Mayfield still did A LOT more than Sean in his first 8 games.  Over 1000 more yards and 12 touchdowns (not counting on the ground) in only 1 more game then Sean had. I think Sean has shown a huge amount of potential, but Mayfield still seems to be on another level, even in his first year.

Mayfield?   I didn't realize we were comparing SW or our other QBs against all the other QBs in the country?   

Nobody saying he is a top national QB or a Heisman candidate...that was the other guy....and are now to the point that the only way we can have a winning program is by having an All American running it....or maybe just an all-SEC quarterback? 

I can't understand where people are headed in comparing all these stats....and then making it sound like a 1/2 point difference in QB rating is somehow a big things.
JMO but most of this discussion is just crazy.   :-\

1 hour ago, VipersStrike1 said:

No question it would be the 2nd biggest upset in AU history that I've seen. That goes back to 82.

Auburn is as talented to more so at every position on the field except qb?

WR? RB? Center? TE? DT? LB? CB?

Please stop.

Dt- absolutely, cb- at least as good, rb- the have a good one but KP and KJ can be a real good combo.

Lb-remains to be seen.

Center- they have us there.

Wr- we are loaded with young talent. Also Davis seems to be stepping up and leading as a senior.

U r kidding yourself to say that this would be the 2nd biggest upset since 1982 with all the talent that we have on this team.

Just now, bigbird said:

This is where the Mayfield comparison stems from.

Guess I compare pretty pretty favorably to SW also....6'-0, 210 pounds....but somewhat lacking in ability due to the extra 55 years I have on him:)

2 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Dt- absolutely, cb- at least as good, rb- the have a good one but KP and KJ can be a real good combo.

Lb-remains to be seen.

Center- they have us there.

Wr- we are loaded with young talent.

U r kidding yourself to say that this would be the 2nd biggest upset since 1982 with all the talent that we have on this team.

I don't think it would be an upset at all. If we can limit their big plays I like our chances. If we allow Watson out of contain it could be a long night. Team that plays sound special teams, and wins the turnover battle wins this one.

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It's just more experience. You'd kick his butt at life.;D

yeah....I figured the experience had to be worth something.....:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

I honestly think the volatility has been overblown.  It was Sean before camp... then Sean up until the second scrimmage.  The performance wasn't great in scrimmage 2 and I think Gus probably wanted to make it clear that no one's job is safe. The fact that early reports are that the depth chart is Sean, then Jeremy with a hurt throwing hand, then John makes it pretty clear that John wasn't a real threat. Now, if that proves to be untrue, I stand corrected and maybe it is more volatile. 

Volatility (amplifies after losses/poor performances) + Gus loves to sub in RBs & backup QBs to take snaps + White's injury last season (could happen again) + White holds the ball too long (resulting in sacks, resulting in lost net yardage) + two new OTs (possibly even more sacks than last season) = White likely not reaching 50 net rushing yards.

3 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

It's simple really. Both Harris and Watson along with others thought they would have to sit behind a "sure" all American in JJ for 2 years. That perception really hurt us in recruiting. Now we are getting back on track with Barrett '16, a work in progress on '17 and Gatewood '18. JJ is a good kid but there is no question that whole episode hurt us both on the field as well as in recruiting.   

I can buy that for the year we recruited Harris and Watson, after that, not so much.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Link?

I've relayed some sort of "inside" info probably 6 times ever...and I've never missed on those very few and far between "reports".  SW is QB1, backup is JJ, JF3 to get his share of snaps to see what he can do in game scenarios is what I was told late last night.

And again, like I said this AM, TIFWIW...

And also like I said earlier,this is hardly "earth shattering news"...I think it's what most of us expected anyway.

Archived