Naming a Starting QB at Auburn

RunInRed

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

Hey, don't laugh. These offensive coaches will do JUST that. It has been done before..so why should it change?

Petrino did it with Lamar Jackson against us.

And Tray Matthews got an INT off of it.

So it worked well...for the defense.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, johnnyAU said:

Not everyone had a torn PCL. Every coach in the country would like a Cam Newton or DeShaun Watson that have all the tools.  That doesn't mean Gus wants "stable of running QB's".  I'll bet he'd be fine with just some good QB's that executed the offense and didn't turn it over, regardless of style.  If they can run too, then even better. 

Might want to check Gus quote at last press conference that our qb has to be able to run the ball more this year.

43 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I didn't hear a name. I assume it is White. 

Heard same and I am assuming it will be White. I am going to try and check and see if I can find out who.

14 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

...we have a lawyer on board. No, not necessarily for just one play. But I was kind of kidding too - that whole humor thing. And yes I know, sarcasm and humor are not always apparent in writing.

i hesitate to even mention that he would play JF3 in the first play because football being a game of momentum  I look back at the Alabama game of 2014  the first play roc thomas doesnt catch the lateral/backward pass completely and its ruled a fumble and alabama recovers in their redzone on the 1st play of the game.  high risk high reward type of move that i feel has back fired on us before.  

6 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Might want to check Gus quote at last press conference that our qb has to be able to run the ball more this year.

He does, but that doesn't  necessarily mean they need to be a 1000 yard rusher.  A QB that can extend drive by picking up a first down is just as effective. I think he needs a QB  that can make decisions faster. Whether running or passing.

Has anyone at the scrimmages/practices seen if the players seem to respond differently to each QB. Hopefully the team gets behind whoever the starter is 100%, don't want another Burns vs Todd situation. All the interviews I've heard sounds like this these players are just focused on being the best that they can be regardless of who is on the field.

5 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

And Gus said, " I don't care who it is. "

That could be Franklin every time he's subbed in inside the 10-yard line.

You guys realize our QBs combined for 170-ish yards rushing last year, right? "Running more" doesn't mean the QB is going to be a runner. 2015 SEC QBs with more rushing yards than our leading rusher at QB:  USCe Perry Orth (138 yards), VU Johnny McCrary (186), LSU Brandon Harris (226), UF Treon Harris (238), TAMU Kyler Murray (335), USCe Lorenzo Nunez (375), UM Chad Kelly (500), MSU Dak Prescott (588), and UT Joshua Dobbs (671).

Basically, Gus would like our QB to finish better than 10th in rush yards by a QB. Running for 13.8 yards per game would be "running more" than our QBs combined last year. It's a low bar.

On the topic of SW in the redzone. If you're a passing oriented QB and you have a bunch of drop-prone receivers, what are you going to do with SW in the redzone? Not enough room for drops at that point. We weren't trying to injure him by making him run against an SEC goal line defense.

with a better receiving stable, I bet we'd see SW in the redzone a lot more. 

Keep in mind, the 172 combined yards rushing for Sean and Jeremy includes a 65-yard run by Jeremy and a 31-yard run by Sean. That's 96 of the 172 yards in two plays. Now, granted, that number also (stupidly) includes sack yardage, but that's true for any QB.

23 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

And Gus said, " I don't care who it is. "

That could be Franklin every time he's subbed in inside the 10-yard line.

Never said he said it had to be JF3. I personally don't think SW can stay healthy running the ball as much as Gus wants our qb to run. 

2 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Never said he said it had to be JF3. I personally don't think SW can stay healthy running the ball as much as Gus wants our qb to run. 

I agree and will he keep the ball on the zone read or always give it to the back like he did in the past?

2 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Agreed.

IMO, Gus was saying White goes out and Franklin keeps it inside the 10-yard line.

Same 'ol Gus.

16 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

You guys realize our QBs combined for 170-ish yards rushing last year, right?

Some of us realize White & Johnson aren't Zone Read QBs and never will be. Most don't.

That's why Franklin will be keeping it often when he's subbed in. THAT'S what Gus meant in his quote.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Trying to confirm but there is a rumor going around that the players have been told who the starter is. 

I was told there was a team meeting last night...SW the starter, JJ #2, JF3 will get his snaps 5-10 per game at least.

TIFWIW

19 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Keep in mind, the 172 combined yards rushing for Sean and Jeremy includes a 65-yard run by Jeremy and a 31-yard run by Sean. That's 96 of the 172 yards in two plays. Now, granted, that number also (stupidly) includes sack yardage, but that's true for any QB.

When our QBs got sacked, they did get sacked for pretty big losses, it seemed. 

Viper, I don't believe that's what he said or meant. I think he said exactly what he meant. He expects the QB to be more of a running threat than we were at the position last year. That's not saying he expects his QB to be Nick Marshall. It's saying, he needs more running from that spot than last year. He needs a guy that will, at minimum, keep a defense honest on the read. Pull it when it's wide open and stay ahead of schedule on the down and distance. That's all we need. Then, don't take bad sacks. I'm a believer that coaches (and people) often say what they mean, and I believe Gus did just that. "Our QB has to be more of a runner this year." That's not looking for 700 yards on the ground. That's looking for more than we had last year.

DTR, I agree. We took some brutal sacks last year.

1 hour ago, willieguns said:

why is it he is always recruiting dual threat guys?   He recruited Desean Watson and other dual threats and settled for white in that class.  Samething that happened with Queen he was willing to bring in 2 QB's in his class and torrence Gibson was one of the guys?  Who is he publically recruiting now?  All dual threat guys.  come on brother be real about it Malzan only has 2 QB's on his roster that were his top choice and that would be JJ and Woody barrett.  He took a commitment from a guy that can run and may not even be a QB in college in Tray Bishop.  He went after Lowell Narcise and Kellen Mond are those guys not runners name one pocket passer that is high on Malzan board is this class?  Lets be honest and not think Gus prefers pocket guys but the truth is his top guys are always runners. 

I've actually been told on here that Gus preferred white over Watson. That's when I knew this had went too far....But

8 minutes ago, muxi87 said:

I was told there was a team meeting last night...SW the starter, JJ #2, JF3 will get his snaps 5-10 per game at least.

TIFWIW

If they told a qb that is not the starter that they are guaranteed 5-10 snaps we will suck

5 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Viper, I don't believe that's what he said or meant. I think he said exactly what he meant. He expects the QB to be more of a running threat than we were at the position last year. That's not saying he expects his QB to be Nick Marshall. It's saying, he needs more running from that spot than last year. He needs a guy that will, at minimum, keep a defense honest on the read. Pull it when it's wide open and stay ahead of schedule on the down and distance. That's all we need. Then, don't take bad sacks. I'm a believer that coaches (and people) often say what they mean, and I believe Gus did just that. "Our QB has to be more of a runner this year." That's not looking for 700 yards on the ground. That's looking for more than we had last year.

That's how I interpreted it, too. 

Just now, cole256 said:

If they told a qb they are guaranteed 5-10 snaps we will suck

I hear you.  I assume it was more like it was said in the meeting that he will get playing time...and this specific person just added his opinion of x-x snaps...

Again, TIFWIW.  But I was told about the meeting late last night...now all of sudden the "insiders" are saying they heard that maybe a meeting took place.

8 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Viper, I don't believe that's what he said or meant. I think he said exactly what he meant. He expects the QB to be more of a running threat than we were at the position last year. That's not saying he expects his QB to be Nick Marshall. It's saying, he needs more running from that spot than last year. He needs a guy that will, at minimum, keep a defense honest on the read. Pull it when it's wide open and stay ahead of schedule on the down and distance. That's all we need.

And if & when White gets hurt running, that'll be "all we need."

He isn't an effective Zone Read QB.

Do you honestly believe Gus was going to state which QBs would have " to be more of a runner this year "?

He's telling us Franklin will be involved running the ball, esp inside the 10 ala Kerryon & Frazier.

It is Gus Malzahn we're discussing, correct?

2 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Do you honestly believe Gus was going to state which QBs would have " to be more of a runner this year "?

It read pretty clearly that he was referring to whoever the starting QB is. 

Archived