Colin Kaepernick answers his critics

aujeff11

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, homersapien said:

The cops/pigs meme is so old it's been more or less adapted as part of popular culture.  It doesn't really carry much sting.

Tell that to a cop the next time you see one. None of them will find it all that amusing. You think that because it's " so old " and that it's been universally adapted makes about as much sense as this...

jocko.jpg

What you're missing ( ignoring ) is the issue of CONTEXT.  Colin K isn't being ' frivolous ' or playfully dabbling in pop culture silliness. He's siding w/ a group who has openly called for the assassination of cops. And cops HAVE been assassinated, who have done absolutely nothing wrong, save for serve their community. 

It's not cute. It's not funny. And Colin is making an arse of himself.  

11 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

N word > pigs> Sitting for anthem. 

Saying the N word is basically a universal no-no. The NFL doesn't even want black people referring to their black teammates as such anymore.

First, I'm not saying that calling cops pigs are equivalent to saying the n word. The fact that you automatically assume that's what I think means you're not just disagreeing with my argument, you're misunderstanding it. You're wrong about what I'm saying and clearly trying to project something I'm not saying. My argument is that just because calling cops pigs isn't as bad as saying the n word doesn't mean that it should be ok and shouldn't warrant punishment. That's where I draw the line. Just because two things may not be equally as bad doesn't mean only the worst of the two offenses should get punished. That's flat out absurd and shouldn't be how it works.

I guess cops should only pull you over if you're going 20 mph over the speed limit. If you're only going 10 mph over the speed limit then the cop shouldn't pull you over. It would be nice if things worked that way in the real world but with people getting into accidents and so many traffic fatalities happening, cops are needed in order to keep roads safe.

That's all well and good for the NFL and what they're doing about the n word but it shouldn't be:

N word = punishment

Cops are pigs = no punishment

But that's what's happened. And it's not right. Agree to disagree that's fine. But you don't have to be a pro-police fanboy to take offense to making cops out to be pigs in what is clearly a derogatory way.

Kaepernick is an ass/ idiot/ shouldnt have a camera on him...EVER...unless he does something cool in his profession....sorry if you disagree.  If the cops boycott because of this clown like im hearing on TV..the cops are clowns to in their professio ....This has got to stop...people as feakin so called Americans have got to stop this crap show...The element of idiocy is brightly burning....cops, do your job...eff the Kaepernick and the clownship following suite...Athletes,  show me your mad skills, not your political agenda...things were so much better when that happened....

31 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

First, I'm not saying that calling cops pigs are equivalent to saying the n word. The fact that you automatically assume that's what I think means you're not just disagreeing with my argument, you're misunderstanding it. You're wrong about what I'm saying and clearly trying to project something I'm not saying. My argument is that just because calling cops pigs isn't as bad as saying the n word doesn't mean that it should be ok and shouldn't warrant punishment. That's where I draw the line. Just because two things may not be equally as bad doesn't mean only the worst of the two offenses should get punished. That's flat out absurd and shouldn't be how it works.

I guess cops should only pull you over if you're going 20 mph over the speed limit. If you're only going 10 mph over the speed limit then the cop shouldn't pull you over. It would be nice if things worked that way in the real world but with people getting into accidents and so many traffic fatalities happening, cops are needed in order to keep roads safe.

That's all well and good for the NFL and what they're doing about the n word but it shouldn't be:

N word = punishment

Cops are pigs = no punishment

But that's what's happened. And it's not right. Agree to disagree that's fine. But you don't have to be a pro-police fanboy to take offense to making cops out to be pigs in what is clearly a derogatory way.

Well, maybe there is a double standard. There are socks that show the "redskins" logo after all.

12 hours ago, NC1406 said:

Sitting in front of an outdoor fire watching the lake act like the coast. But no that LONG reply did not help me understand. Both terms are degratory but you seem to justify one but ignore the other because "culture" says that's right. I am not buying it. Have a good night. 

What do you think language is if not culture?  :dunno:

As for "not buying it", I don't believe that for a second.  I am pretty sure you are smart enough to understand - and accept - my explanation.

And I don't appreciate you making a point about how LONG it was.  I made a sincere effort to explain what I was talking about. You didn't get the short version and I accept that.  But I think you did understand this one.

11 hours ago, AURaptor said:

He's siding w/ a group who has openly called for the assassination of cops. 

See, this is why people are constantly calling you a liar.  

But I don't think you are lying.  I think that's just a crazy stupid post.

15 minutes ago, homersapien said:

See, this is why people are constantly calling you a liar.  

But I don't think you are lying.  I think that's just a crazy stupid post.

Why should anyone call me a liar if all I'm doing is telling the TRUTH ?? The narrative that CK is getting all bent out of shape over is mostly fabricated from twisted versions of events as well as full blown fairy tales. 

What was on Colin's socks ? Cartoon pigs, wearing a police officer's hat. Colin isn't calling  for understanding or any sort of civil solutions, he's mocking law officers,  who HE views are the problem, and ignores the fact that , as a group, the vast majority  of the violence against blacks is coming from OTHER BLACKS.  And when the police DO end up having situations w/ blacks, the individuals usually have a record, are resisting arrest, are fleeing, if not out right fighting ( Michael Brown ) with the officer.  That generally isn't going to end well for the civilian, no matter what their color. 

He said nothing about BLM if that's the test.

By your thinking, anyone that says anything about the use of excessive use of force by police on black people is aligning themselves with 'cop killers'.

Even for you, that's totally absurd logic, so we can only conclude you are simply lying about it.

20 minutes ago, homersapien said:

He said nothing about BLM if that's the test.

By your thinking, anyone that says anything about the use of excessive use of force by police on black people is aligning themselves with 'cop killers'.

Even for you, that's totally absurd logic, so we can only conclude you are simply lying about it.

It's reality, pal.  You not liking it doesn't make it any less valid. Did you call your parents liars when you learned about Santa Claus ? 

ETA - And you know what ? If Michael Brown really DID have his hands up, and shouted to officer Wilson " Don't shoot! ", and the fairy tale claims, then yeah, BLM actually WOULD  have just cause. But he didn't. And they don't. 

38 minutes ago, AURaptor said:

Yeah, blame the NFL for being patriotic.  What horse s***. 

This, predictably, led to a lot of people accusing Kaepernick (who is biracial) of being unpatriotic, anti-American, and ungrateful to a country that allowed him to succeed. My reaction to most of that is a gigantic eyeroll — that this is always the response when a fortunate black person has the temerity to call out America for its original sin.

But how did we get to the point of playing the national anthem before NFL games — or any professional or high-level amateur sporting event — at all?

It’s actually not normal, internationally speaking, to play national anthems before domestic sporting events. You don’t hear “God Save the Queen” before English Premier League matches. Non-Americans find all the patriotic spectacle in American sports baffling.

The reason isn’t that Americans are more patriotic than foreigners. It’s that, during the world wars, American sports leagues hitched themselves to the American military. Today, the original justification for playing the National Anthem doesn’t make a lot of sense anymore — and the kind of patriotic imagery it embodies is little more than a marketing tool that occasionally invites political controversy.

I don’t really care very much whether Colin Kaepernick does or doesn’t stand. That’s his choice. But the idea that he should have to stand, or even listen to the National Anthem at all, is much stranger than most Americans think it is.

So today, we play the national anthem before sporting events ... because we play the national anthem before sporting events.

Today, the patriotic imagery at sports events has very little do with actual patriotism — and everything to do with the league’s bottom line.

To understand why, I’d recommend reading Michael Oriard’s book, Brand NFL. Oriard is both a professor of English at Oregon State and a former NFL offensive lineman, which gives him a unique and interesting perspective on the way the league markets itself.

Near the beginning of the book, Oriard examines the history of patriotic imagery during the Super Bowl. From very early on, Oriard finds, the Super Bowl used patriotism as a kind of branding device.

“The Super Bowl was chiefly an advertisement for NFL football, investing the game with ‘traditional American values,” Oriard writes.

Interestingly, the tenor of this patriotism wavered over time. In 1968, at the height of the controversy over the Vietnam War and hippie counterculture, the NFL positioned itself on the same side as Nixon’s “silent majority.” The highest “patriotism quotient,” according to Oriard, was at the 2002 Super Bowl, the first after 9/11.

But in 2006 and 2007, as public outrage at the Iraq war built, the league toned it down substantially. This, Oriard explains is, quite telling.

“The muting of patriotic display in 2006 and 2007,” he writes, “illustrate’s the NFL’s desire to connect with the popular mood, not promote any political agenda.”

Why would the NFL care about the national mood? Money, of course: The NFL is big business.

http://www.vox.com/2016/9/3/12774172/colin-kaepernick-national-anthem-why

39 minutes ago, AURaptor said:

It's reality, pal.  You not liking it doesn't make it any less valid. Did you call your parents liars when you learned about Santa Claus ? 

ETA - And you know what ? If Michael Brown really DID have his hands up, and shouted to officer Wilson " Don't shoot! ", and the fairy tale claims, then yeah, BLM actually WOULD  have just cause. But he didn't. And they don't. 

You forgot to tell us you're not racist.  

Raptor thinks the only case BLM is based on is Michael Brown.  Raptor thinks that because Michael didn't raise his hands, the BLM has no reason to exist.

Raptor thinks this isn't true:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/12/health/police-use-of-force-on-blacks/

Police more likely to use force on blacks than whites, study shows

Raptor thinks this is bogus:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/08/us/study-supports-suspicion-that-police-use-of-force-is-more-likely-for-blacks.html?_r=0

Study Supports Suspicion That Police Are More Likely to Use Force on Blacks

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Raptor thinks the only case BLM is based on is Michael Brown.  Raptor thinks that because Michael didn't raise his hands, the BLM has no reason to exist.

Raptor thinks this isn't true:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/12/health/police-use-of-force-on-blacks/

Police more likely to use force on blacks than whites, study shows

Raptor thinks this is bogus:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/08/us/study-supports-suspicion-that-police-use-of-force-is-more-likely-for-blacks.html?_r=0

Study Supports Suspicion That Police Are More Likely to Use Force on Blacks

Homer, stop lying about what I think. I will tell you what I think, so there is no reason for you to lie. 

14 minutes ago, AURaptor said:

Homer, stop lying about what I think. I will tell you what I think, so there is no reason for you to lie. 

So it's OK for you to do it, but not me?   :dunno:

Meanwhile, why is it that every time BLM comes up you bring up Michael Brown as if that's the only police violence incident that exists? 

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

So it's OK for you to do it, but not me?   :dunno:

Meanwhile, why is it that every time BLM comes up you bring up Michael Brown as if that's the only police violence incident that exists? 

Because ' hands up / don't shoot 'was the rallying cry and a foundational basis for why BLM even exists in the first place ! THAT IS WHY. 

Oh, and when I do it , it's based in fact, and when YOU do it, it's made up of complete hooey.  

17 minutes ago, AURaptor said:

Because ' hands up / don't shoot 'was the rallying cry and a foundational basis for why BLM even exists in the first place ! THAT IS WHY. 

Oh, and when I do it , it's based in fact, and when YOU do it, it's made up of complete hooey.  

Is that it?  What about all of the other hundreds of excessive force incidents?  

Is Michael Brown the only  "foundational" incident?   Aren't there many more justifiable "foundational" incidents beyond Brown? Why do you choose that one incident to discredit BLM?  What makes you so sure that BLM wouldn't exist without the Brown incident?  Do you have any evidence for such a belief?

You seem to be making my point.

(But you're not a racist.)

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Is that it?  What about all of the other hundreds of excessive force incidents?  

Is Michael Brown the only  "foundational" incident?   Aren't there many more justifiable "foundational" incidents beyond Brown? Why do you choose that one incident to discredit BLM?  What makes you so sure that BLM wouldn't exist without the Brown incident?  Do you have any evidence for such a belief?

You seem to be making my point.

(But you're not a racist.)

Hey, **** YOU ! I'm dealing in the REALITY of the issue, dumb ass. BLM has had DOZENS of false flag incidents , in ADDITION to calling for all out murder of cops. So you have ZERO room to talk , what - so - ever. They are, a terrorist organization, as much as ISIS and the KKK. 

2 minutes ago, AURaptor said:

Hey, **** YOU ! I'm dealing in the REALITY of the issue, dumb ass. BLM has had DOZENS of false flag incidents , in ADDITION to calling for all out murder of cops. So you have ZERO room to talk , what - so - ever. They are, a terrorist organization, as much as ISIS and the KKK. 

:jump:  Keep it up.  You're doing GREAT!

Archived