Colin Kaepernick answers his critics

aujeff11

4 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Race is still a double standard. A white guy gets punished saying the n word at a concert that was caught on camera and he wasn't in uniform. Yet Kapernick can be in uniform on a platform pushing his(offensive) views and promoting them without consequence from the team or the NFL

:-\

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

:-\

I know right. Poor Colin is so oppressed. He's so courageous and brave. :-\

Just now, Auburnfan91 said:

I know right. Poor Colin is so oppressed. He's so courageous and brave. :-\

Because abhorrent racial slurs are exactly the same as failing to follow some people's prescribed outward displays of patriotism. <_<

19 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Why was Riley Cooper's n word incident treated so much differently than Kaepernick's clear mocking of police or Isaiah Crowell's cop execution picture? All incidents are offensive on some level yet only Cooper actually received any sort of punishment? I they we all know why. Race is still a double standard. A white guy gets punished saying the n word at a concert that was caught on camera and he wasn't in uniform. Yet Kapernick can be in uniform on a platform pushing his(offensive) views and promoting them without consequence from the team or the NFL. If you're just so free speech oriented and others defending Kaeprnick are as well, then you and those defending him should at least be able to acknowledge the clear double standard at play.

Perhaps because not all offensive things are equally offensive?  And some things are almost universally considered offensive while others have more a divided opinion on their offensiveness?

7 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Perhaps because not all offensive things are equally offensive?  And some things are almost universally considered offensive while others have more a divided opinion on their offensiveness?

So depicting pigs as cops or posting a pic having their throat cut is not offensive? Only white people think it's offensive then?

Just now, Auburnfan91 said:

So depicting pigs as cops or having their throats is not offensive? Only white people think it's offensive then?

You asked about why there's a double standard and I don't think the things you are talking about are really that widely known.  People aren't paying that close attention to CP so what they know is that he's chosen to sit during the national anthem a few times now because he believes people of color are not treated fairly and equitably in this country, particularly by law enforcement.  Thus, the differing reactions.  Kaepernick's views on how people of color are treated and whether one can protest by not singing the anthem is a hotly debated topic with significant support on both sides.  Using the n-word is universally condemned among decent people.  The only ones who would defend it generally use it from underneath a sheet.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

You asked about why there's a double standard and I don't think the things you are talking about are really that widely known.  People aren't paying that close attention to CP so what they know is that he's chosen to sit during the national anthem a few times now because he believes people of color are not treated fairly and equitably in this country, particularly by law enforcement.  Thus, the differing reactions.  Kaepernick's views on how people of color are treated and whether one can protest by not singing the anthem is a hotly debated topic with significant support on both sides.  Using the n-word is universally condemned among decent people.  The only ones who would defend it generally use it from underneath a sheet.

You're not addressing my whole argument though, you're trying to just stick to the national anthem. It's become more than that. The double standard is also about mocking cops as pigs and Isaiah Crowell posting a picture of a cop being executed which is the post you just quoted was about. It's not just the national anthem. 

The socks with pig cops on them is much more offensive than not standing for the national anthem. Wearing pig cop socks is much more directed at a group than just disrespecting a flag because of your social views on the country. The pig cop socks are offensive and denigrating to a certain segment of the population.

7 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

You're not addressing my whole argument though, you're trying to just stick to the national anthem. It's become more than that. The double standard is also about mocking cops as pigs and Isaiah Crowell posting a picture of a cop being executed which is the post you just quoted was about. It's not just the national anthem. 

No, I addressed that.  You wanted to know why there was a double standard and I told you that the things you are carping about are not widely known.  Riley Cooper's incident was cut and dried and everyone knew all the important aspects of it.  He hurled racial slurs at people in public.  There was nothing else one needed to know and there is no explanation that would mitigate the wrongness of it to any meaningful degree.  Isaiah Crowell publicly apologized within a couple days of his drawing being reported.  The story didn't have much time to get going before actions had taken place to diffuse it.

By contrast, most people do not pay close enough attention to what a backup QB in San Francisco is wearing at practice.  They know nothing about socks.  But the national anthem issue has been discussed a lot.  That is why you are seeing different reactions.

4 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

The socks with pig cops on them is much more offensive than not standing for the national anthem. Wearing pig cop socks is much more directed at a group than just disrespecting a flag because of your social views on the country. The pig cop socks are offensive and denigrating to a certain segment of the population.

N word > pigs> Sitting for anthem. 

Saying the N word is basically a universal no-no. The NFL doesn't even want black people referring to their black teammates as such anymore.

And the claim of a "double standard" regarding racial issues has always amused me.  

What would you expect?   It's not like racial discrimination has been historically applied equally to all races.  

There's a "double standard" when it comes to misogyny also.

CK  says the cops are getting paid leave for killing people. Oh yeah, if that is what was happening then he would have an actual issue. I might even support him. But that is not what is happening. South Carolina, the cop that shot the driver in the back is going to trial.  

Here in Georgia, we had a similar situation and a cop  has been charged. 

I'm so sick of hearing this false narrative about how many blacks are being killed by cops for no cause.   That isn't saying it's never happened before, but in the country of over 330 million people it's pretty damn rare. There is no issue here. 

Yep, and it was wrong for those black Olympic athletes to raise their fists in the air during the national anthem, because white people didn't like it.

"You measure a democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists."

8 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Or they use it in a rap song and it's cool. I get what is being said. Not investing. 

7 hours ago, homersapien said:

The cops/pigs meme is so old it's been more or less adapted as part of popular culture.  It doesn't really carry much sting.

Because Cops Are Pigs. Right? Right? Ok I'll Leave Now..

So is the N word. You willing to accept that?  Come on that's freaking weak. 

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

Sorry but I disagree.  

I expected you to disagree. But if there really a difference?  If a term/concept is accepted as part of modern culture who decides what's acceptable. Please don't claim this role. 

6 minutes ago, NC1406 said:

I expected you to disagree. But if there really a difference?  If a term/concept is accepted as part of modern culture who decides what's acceptable. Please don't claim this role. 

I am not claiming a role.  You can decide for yourself.

But there's no equivalency (from a cultural standpoint).  Hell, the little pottery pigs (piggy banks?) demonstrates that.

7 hours ago, homersapien said:

The cops/pigs meme is so old it's been more or less adapted as part of popular culture.  It doesn't really carry much sting.

Because Cops Are Pigs. Right? Right? Ok I'll Leave Now..

facepalm.jpg

I am not claiming a role.  You can decide for yourself.

But there's no equivalency (from a cultural standpoint).  Hell, the little pottery pigs (piggy banks?) demonstrates that.

There is no equivalency in your opinion. 

Excuse my ignorance but are piggy banks somehow connected to policeman?  If so please "enlightened" me. I know you guys love that term.

it hurts but sometimes I admit I am wrong  it's really refreshing  give it a try  

I't hard to imagine that words ever work that well for you. <_<

Well my words usually don't work with you since you so often don't get how they're meant and used anyway. The fact that you're trying to make the cops as pigs thing somehow less denigrating by trying to act like it's not meant in a bad way is baffling.

You really believe Kaepernick was being that harmless by mocking cops as pigs? His comments and explanations don't correlate to him meaning cops are just cartoon pigs. Him using cops as pigs and his explanation for it mean he's using pigs in the sense that he thinks a lot of cops that kill black people are disgusting human beings, not just calling them pigs in the sense of them being fat or a slob.

12 hours ago, NC1406 said:

There is no equivalency in your opinion. 

Excuse my ignorance but are piggy banks somehow connected to policeman?  If so please "enlightened" me. I know you guys love that term.

it hurts but sometimes I admit I am wrong  it's really refreshing  give it a try  

The pig/cop piggy banks are a physical example of how the association with cops and pigs is culturally acceptable, as opposed to use of the word "n****r", which could perhaps be compared to the physical racist pieces of art commonly seen up until the middle of the 19th century. For example: http://www.motherjones.com/media/2016/02/david-pilgrim-understanding-jim-crow-racist-collectibles

Granted, the use of "pig" as a synonym for cops undoubtedly was born from hate (and fear), particularly among blacks and the 'counter-culture' who were exposed to the law enforcement of the time, both individually and in demonstrations.  Like the term 'n****r' it was meant to degrade or dehumanize LEOs.

However, it became so common in usage - at least among minorities and/or the counter-culture - that it was gradually assimilated into popular culture and such common usage tended to 'de-fang' the term.  Sort of like the way blacks often use 'niggers' among themselves.  (Much of the power of these words is derived by context.)

Anyway, marketing a piggy bank or piece of pottery with a whimsical design equating pigs to cops is a perfect illustration of how the term lost it's power or 'hatefulness'. It became a popular joke.  Pigs are just naturally funny in some ways

You don't see such a popularization of the term "n****r" when employed by those who still mean it in a (sincere) dehumanizing way.  You won't see such a think as a 'n****r' piggy bank,

Bottom line, there's no equivalency.

Does that help?

Good night.

6 minutes ago, homersapien said:

The pig/cop piggy banks are a physical example of how the association with cops and pigs is culturally acceptable, as opposed to use of the word "n****r", which could perhaps be compared to the physical racist pieces of art commonly seen up until the middle of the 19th century. For example: http://www.motherjones.com/media/2016/02/david-pilgrim-understanding-jim-crow-racist-collectibles

Granted, the use of "pig" as a synonym for cops undoubtedly was born from hate (and fear), particularly among blacks and the 'counter-culture' who were exposed to the law enforcement of the time, both individually and in demonstrations.  Like the term 'n****r' it was meant to degrade or dehumanize LEOs.

However, it became so common in usage - at least among minorities and/or the counter-culture - that it was gradually assimilated into popular culture and such common usage tended to 'de-fang' the term.  Sort of like the way blacks often use 'niggers' among themselves.  (Much of the power of these words is derived by context.)

Anyway, marketing a piggy bank or piece of pottery with a whimsical design equating pigs to cops is a perfect illustration of how the term lost it's power or 'hatefulness'. It became a popular joke.  Pigs are just naturally funny in some ways

You don't see such a popularization of the term "n****r" when employed by those who still mean it in a (sincere) dehumanizing way.  You want see such a think as a 'n****r' piggy bank,

Bottom line, there's no equivalency.

Does that help?

Good night.

Sitting in front of an outdoor fire watching the lake act like the coast. But no that LONG reply did not help me understand. Both terms are degratory but you seem to justify one but ignore the other because "culture" says that's right. I am not buying it. Have a good night. 

Archived