Does anyone else feel kinda bad for Jeremy?

Skyler97

I hate it for JJ but it is obvious to me that he is terrified when he is out there and he certainly hates contact but they keep putting him out there to run the ball. For whatever reason his confidence is gone. At least with White he does not appear to be afraid. I think the offense could be tailored to fit him and we could win a lot of games if our defense continues to play like last night. It seems pretty simple to me. I don't really know what the offensive coaches are thinking.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might as well hike the ball to a fainting goat

On a serious note, I do feel bad for him at least to a certain degree. I do think the coaches are putting him in bad positions to succeed. However, I don't think he is a very good college QB. The spotlight is too much for him.

HE is an extension of his head coach, mentally. He needs to do a 360 pirouette when he is snapped the ball. LOL. Yes, seriously, I feel sorry for him being put in a position that he doesn't seem to want to be in.

Yes I feel sorry for Jeremy.  His potential was never developed because we do not have a QB coach capable of developing the talent he has.  I also feel sorry for the rest of the offense because they are all so confused by what the coaches are doing that they don't have a chance to realize their potential.  I also feel sorry for the defense because their great effort the other night against a great offense was wasted because of the ineptitude of the offensive coaches.  So yes I feel sorry for the whole team because Gus and his offensive staff have let them down.  After all the spring practices and all the fall practices we are in the same boat as last year.  Grasping at straws and trying to be cute instead of developing our offensive players.  It is awful.  

I personally do feel bad for JJ. His coach might be showing his true colors as a master of panic and as the only QB to have ever spent 4 years with maybe it's not so surprising. He obviously has raw tools but between not being allowed to work with coaches outside of the program, not getting the help he needed within the program, and his overall development as a QB has been subpar to put it nicely. I feel bad that his football career will most likely end under these circumstances, as he seems like a good kid from a nice family, by all accounts, but I don't think anyone, at this point, can deny that he wasn't working with the best staff for him.

Part of it is holding him accountable. Times where pressure is coming from the right and he runs directly into the pressure, or throwing off of his back foot, or refusing to read defenses and not getting these basic issues corrected are all on the coaching staff and CGM.

I feel awful for the kid. I think he's been poorly coached. He is a very talented QB, albeit some of his problems are mental and confidence related. Those may not have been able to be coached out of him.  He has the physical tools that anyone would want.  But he has no idea how to read complex defensive schemes devised to force him into mistakes and his footwork is poor.  Those things can be helped by good quarterback coaching.  

Also, his redshirt year was never used.  He should've definitely redshirted in 2013, there was absolutely no reason to play him.  At worst, I would've hoped the coaches would've been real with him after he didn't win the job this season.  Or he could've been selfish and said, listen, if I'm not going to start, I want to stick around the team and help the QB room, get my degree in December, and do the grad transfer thing.  Maybe he's just done wanting to play football after this year.

I feel sorry for any player who is let down by his coach. To what degree this has happened to Jeremy remains to be seen.

I do feel that Jeremy owns a lot of his issues as a quarterback. The interceptions he threw early last season were indefensible. Those were not Gus's or Rhett's fault.

One thing that really sucks is Auburn fans wildly exaggerating Jeremy's tendencies when running the ball. Good grief, people. Lay off the insults. Really curious how many of you have ever taken a real hit on a football field. 

He was great at basketball at carver. It would be nice if he could port over to that program. He's from a good family and maybe doesn't necessarily need to expose himself to concussion trauma in order to have a good life. 

I hate that Jeremy efforts have not led to more success on the field the past year but he has had multiple chances and for some reason it's not working out. Dont know if it's all on Gus and Rhett or just that Jeremy's struggles have just become such a mental block at this point. I don't feel too bad for him though because times like these will prepare him for a lot of challenges and disappointments down the road. He is an Auburn man and seems like a fine Christian man and he will be fine. He will be stronger in the end. He probably already is far more mature than many others and sometimes football success doesn't translate to life. Just see Johnny Manziel. I'm grateful this young man came to Auburn. I do wish there was somewhere else on the field he could contribute. 

Does anyone remember his first-half game against Arkansas? He was impressive, going for 12-16 and 243 yards, accounting for two TDs. From that point, I was so certain we'll be grooming a surefire pocket passer superstar when Marshall departs. It's baffling how many things had changed since then. I've just checked the box score of Auburn-Arkansas 2014 game, and I've seen that Marshall had rushed eight times, while Johnson did not attempt a rush. Perhaps that is the true reason why we struggled with Johnson. We were intent on incorporating some running plays with Johnson, and that just did not fly.

I feel like the coaches already went out of their way this off season to plan for JJ to be a major part of the offense again. It looks like everyone wanted to redeem themselves. They would not name a #2 QB, which was strange, and then in the first game JJ played almost the entire first half. He started out OK but when Clemson brought pressure he turned into the same QB as last year. I think the final straw was the 4th down play where he fumbled. 

There is a lot of blame to go around. Coaches put him in terrible situations with bad play calls. JJ played terrible when called upon to make plays. He was tentative, taking tons of sacks, and threw a lot of picks. He should not have played this year and should not have been part of the fall rotation in practice. Those reps were wasted... and that is the coaches fault - not his. Just a bad situation for all. 

He seems like a good kid. Hopefully he earns his degree and has a good future. 

There has been no development with JJ...same footwork issues he had as a freshman is the same issues he has as a senior...It's hard to bring him in on 4th and 1 and the defense knows exactly what you're about to do and expect a different result...yes he may be 6'5" 240 or so but when there's 8-10 guys in the box waiting on you to run it's nothing you can do about that...seems like the coaches have not given him any leeway to check out of plays...I just think JJ was a total mismanagement of talent...yes he made mistakes but when your QB doesn't have any confidence you put him in situations so he can succeed

The JJ I can still see is the one that carried the football team against Arkansas in the first half while Nick was suspended. I don't know what the issue is with him now. I was hoping he would pull a Jason Campbell this year but, that didn't happen. I will still stick by that he shouldn't be on the field. Get that education and use it. 

I feel bad for JJ but I feel sorry for a lot of kids who have had fewer opportunities and chances than  Jeremy has received. Wish him well.  Hopefully he stays ready mentally and physically if something happens to Sean.  I don't think Franklin is quite ready to lead this team. It's a long season.  WDE JJ

7 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I'm not sure the booing last Saturday was for him...I think it was directed at Gus for the QB changes in general.

Correct. I'm sure there were some clowns out there being clowns, but for the most part it was aimed at the deserving party. 

On 9/4/2016 at 11:23 AM, AUIH1 said:

If a competent QB coach/OC had been coaching Jeremy for the last 3 years then I think Johnson would be OK.  The problem is not the player,  The problem is the coaching.

wde

Oh, "you think". There ya go, then. JJ thinks too slow, and if you can't see *that*, then I question *your* ability to think reasonably. Our coaches are definitely laying some eggs, but they coached a DB up enough to get us to the MNC at QB. JJ has all of the tools, but he just can't make decisions fast or well. Re-watch his plays. He has a really strong arm and can make some good throws, but if *anything* goes wrong (pass rush gets in, primary running lane filled, primary WR covered), he appears lost. I think that he would need a very simple offense to be successful, something where he doesn't make have to make many "on the fly" decisions.

JJ is a fine young man that I have a lot of respect for. We all wished that he could be the man and play lights out for us. At this point, JJ needs to get his degree and become a GA at Auburn in that I think he could develop into a very good coach one day. I would love to see JJ line up at the TE position 3-4 times this week and get the opportunity to inflict some pain on some small DBs while he rumbles 20 or so yards down the field.

51 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

JJ is a fine young man that I have a lot of respect for. We all wished that he could be the man and play lights out for us. At this point, JJ needs to get his degree and become a GA at Auburn in that I think he could develop into a very good coach one day. I would love to see JJ line up at the TE position 3-4 times this week and get the opportunity to inflict some pain on some small DBs while he rumbles 20 or so yards down the field.

I agree in part with you but based on what we know right now I'm not convinced Auburn is where anyone who wants to coach on the offensive side would want to cut his teeth. Not sure that's what he wants to do and I realize you were just giving a hypothetical situation. I think we all wish the lights had come on but now I'm just hoping like you he can get to contribute in some way. It's hard not to pull for him. 

Archived