War Knight

4 minutes ago, The Freak said:

We cant afford Petrino now.

Most likely not.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Weegle777 said:

We would be in the same situation if we hired Herman. He would do exactly what Jacobs tells him to do.

Then he should stay at Houston, if offered.

This administration is depressing.

Does anyone think that Jay Jacobs can make a winning hire or even should be AD any longer?? I don't.

41 minutes ago, Never2Yield said:

Think Gus may be to proud to let someone call/run his offense. 

I agree. This may also be the breaking point of his career if things continue to go the way they have through the first 3 games of this season

37 minutes ago, Weegle777 said:

We would be in the same situation if we hired Herman. He would do exactly what Jacobs tells him to do.

You have no idea what Herman would or wouldn't do.  Was Urban Meyer a yes-man coming out of Utah?

13 minutes ago, Ber798297 said:

Here's my question:  is it too late for Gus to save himself by firing Lashlee and hiring K Briles and letting him run the O?

It definitely would be the best thing he has done so far this year.

17 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Does anyone think that Jay Jacobs can make a winning hire or even should be AD any longer?? I don't.

Jay Jacobs is on record as saying that he has given the football team everything they could possibly need to be successful; from facilities to equipment to support the whole nine yards. Now whether or not he can pick a winner is subject to performance. Personally I think Jacobs, since firing Chizik, has done everything in his power to hire and sustain a winner in the football coaching ranks but I think it only becomes his fault when he continues to let mediocrity thrive and I'm not so sure he would.

9 minutes ago, Ber798297 said:

Here's my question:  is it too late for Gus to save himself by firing Lashlee and hiring K Briles and letting him run the O?

...and what would Gus' role be then? Gus is here to run HIS offense.  The Baylor offense really isn't that similar.  Briles isn't coming here to run the whirlybird or Gus' stupid-ass playbook.  If he's here to run Baylor's offense, then whats the point of Gus even being on staff as the HC?

The entire thing is a pipe dream as Malzahn is obviously far too egotistical and deranged to let some kid come in and tell him what they're going to do on offense.

4 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Jay Jacobs is on record as saying that he has given the football team everything they could possibly need to be successful; from facilities to equipment to support the whole nine yards. Now whether or not he can pick a winner is subject to performance. Personally I think Jacobs, since firing Chizik, has done everything in his power to hire and sustain a winner in the football coaching ranks but I think it only becomes his fault when he continues to let mediocrity thrive and I'm not so sure he would.

That's what I thought as well. But seeing the performance of Petrino as UL has made me, as well as many others, think we passed on the better option due to the fact that we wanted the classier/cleaner coach instead. 

Sure, there were many other reasons and I imagine it's still too early to call the debate over especially considering Gus has taken us to a nc but still...signs have started to point in the downward direction for Gus 

2 hours ago, War Knight said:

A lot of mumbling and built up frustration coming from our fanbase. Understandable when we've been to the promise land twice in a decade but we can't seem to function with any consistent success.

So the question for this thread is not whether or not Gus should be removed BUT if he is then who should we get? 

My suggestion... 

With the players we have on offense, we MUST stay with the same system or it will be an extremely difficult transition. 

We need to fly to San Fransisco and offer a blank check to Chip Kelly. It wouldn't be impossible to pry him away from the 49ers. Saban and Harbaugh came back to the college game. Chip will eventually. We need to be camping in San Fransisco and refuse to take no for an answer. Just as Bama did with $aban in Atlanta.

1 minute ago, Charhair said:

That's what I thought as well. But seeing the performance of Petrino as UL has made me, as well as many others, think we passed on the better option due to the fact that we wanted the classier/cleaner coach instead. 

Sure, there were many other reasons and I imagine it's still too early to call the debate over especially considering Gus has taken us to a nc but still...signs have started to point in the downward direction for Gus 

Stubbornness. We no longer have Greg Robinson and Jay Prosch who can will their way through a defensive line, yet Coach still wants to run the ball up the middle on first down, and again on second, and then throw a poorly blocked bubble screen on 3rd. The frustrating thing is that no one knows if Lashlee is calling the plays and Gus is too stubborn to cut him loose, or worse, Gus is calling the plays and is too stubborn to adjust.

And we see the same thing with Les Miles up in LSU, even with Cam Cameron as OC, they are still running a traditional power run game. That might serve you well when you can recruit the best players in your state and out talent most teams for a 8-9 win season, but look how they've done against bama, and Arky, and Wisconsin. That stubbornness of Les' is starting to cost them games because said opponents are on to them. Translate this to Auburn...

Running a very talented RB corps up the gut will get us 7 in the first half, but our failure to adjust the offense now that we our without the offensive weapons of '13 and '14, teams are quickly going to catch on to our offense and someone needs to held accountable for that failure.

Nowish.

People that put image before substance are doing no favours to our players that believed in Auburn but will never get a chance to pursue their NFL dreams due to incompetent coaching.  It disgusts me that people embrace the idea of  wearing a holier than thou attitude like it is an tangible measuring stick to Alabama's actual real success when nobody outside the AU family thinks our program is cleaner than any other SEC team.This image those people talk about only exists in their minds.

I did not drive 8 hours to AU and spend a thousand dollars this weekend to watch a nice guy walk on the sidelines. 

With that said Bobby is above AU and we have no shot.  If  there is no proof that Briles protected, ignored, or enabled law breaking then please hire him.  Not many options left since we have burned bridges with real coaches like Garry Patterson.

1 hour ago, JBiGGiE said:

Stubbornness. We no longer have Greg Robinson and Jay Prosch who can will their way through a defensive line, yet Coach still wants to run the ball up the middle on first down, and again on second, and then throw a poorly blocked bubble screen on 3rd. The frustrating thing is that no one knows if Lashlee is calling the plays and Gus is too stubborn to cut him loose, or worse, Gus is calling the plays and is too stubborn to adjust.

And we see the same thing with Les Miles up in LSU, even with Cam Cameron as OC, they are still running a traditional power run game. That might serve you well when you can recruit the best players in your state and out talent most teams for a 8-9 win season, but look how they've done against bama, and Arky, and Wisconsin. That stubbornness of Les' is starting to cost them games because said opponents are on to them. Translate this to Auburn...

Running a very talented RB corps up the gut will get us 7 in the first half, but our failure to adjust the offense now that we our without the offensive weapons of '13 and '14, teams are quickly going to catch on to our offense and someone needs to held accountable for that failure.

Nowish.

Exactly why i wouldn't want any parts of Les Miles. A repeat all over again. Harris isn't that good but they're yet again using him wrong this season. Cameron has been awful; was supposedly their answer to winning a NC. 

Sterlin Gilbert.

Pros: is a disciple of Art Briles, can run that offense just as good, and we could get him on the cheap

Cons: No head coaching experience.

I wish a lot of AU fan base would go out tomorrow and buy them some Crimson gear and move on. Is there no such things as a little loyalty and patience anymore??? 

QUIT ACTING LIKE BAMMERS

WE ARE NOT BAMA

DONT WANNA BE BAMA

Theres supposed to be something different and special about AU! All this 'family' talk I've always heard about starting to sound like BS nowadays. 

I'm no expert on coaching contracts, but I think Herman just got an extension at Houston with a pretty significant buyout attached. So, I don't think he' s a realistic possibility as we'll be paying Malzahn's buyout to get rid of him. Petrino is an interesting and definite possibility in my mind, but I don't know what his contract is like either. Mike Gundy is an OSU grad, so he likely has his dream job and can accomplish everything he wants to in Stillwater that he would want to in Auburn. Art Briles is another possibility, however due to what happened at Baylor, I don't know if the time is right. Les Miles? LOL no. He is the JOhn Cooper of LSU. All the talent in the world at his feet and consistently coming up short on results (I'm talking championships here).

How about we poach James Franklin from Penn State?

Well, at this point, I'm not sure what established coach who has consistently won and has a solid resume would even consider AU. I do think the odds heavily favor a coaching change at the end of this season. Just winning is not enough now, we should be contending. We now have a losing record at home, again. The odds favor looking for somebody at the end of this season. Just not sure how this is all going to go, going forward.

I'd say take another shot at a coach on the rise and throw any amount of money at John Grass at Jacksonville State. He's a player's coach who runs a physical spread offense that our current players fit into.

3 hours ago, tgr4life said:

I wish a lot of AU fan base would go out tomorrow and buy them some Crimson gear and move on. Is there no such things as a little loyalty and patience anymore??? 

QUIT ACTING LIKE BAMMERS

WE ARE NOT BAMA

DONT WANNA BE BAMA

Theres supposed to be something different and special about AU! All this 'family' talk I've always heard about starting to sound like BS nowadays. 

I'm not flaming you, but almost the entire fan base is extremely frustrated with how inept our offense has looked.  Since Gus is the proclaimed guru and we seem to be unwilling or unable to change our very predictable tendencies he is catching hell.  I am not sure we can get rid of him at this point financially based on the extension.  I think he will (or will be forced) to sack Lashlee as a sacrificial lamb to the mob.  It'seems so frustrating to have that much talent on the field and look that poor.  Prayers for better days soon on the plains.

3 hours ago, tgr4life said:

QUIT ACTING LIKE BAMMERS

WE ARE NOT BAMA

DONT WANNA BE BAMA

Your loyalty and patience is misplaced.  It should be with the players, not the hired gun that gets paid to teach them football and coach them to victory. 

Archived