Don't know if anyone noticed...

ClaytonAU

30 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Something doesn't sit well with me about this. Not that it's Rhett calling the shots, although I'd feel better if it was somebody who was more proven and had history backing them. But the fact that Gus worked his butt off for years proving to the world how great of a play caller he is and then AU pays him $4 million a year to NOT call the offense? The whole reason we hired him was his offense and his playcalling --that's what makes him worth $4 million/year, right? 

AU hired Malzahn to be a head coach is what I recall. And dang, I think that's his job title too!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, kd4au said:

I don't know who calls the plays and who doesn't but I thought the play calling was a little better last night,still could have been a lot better but we seemed to move the ball better at least between the 20's.

Play calling was a clown show again. My dog looked at me at one point and I could see in his eyes he knew we were going to run the dive play up the middle for 11teenth time. LSU had 5 linebackers lined up in the middle of the line, and we still ran it. We did seem to mix in a few new plays last night, bringing our season total to 9 different plays. Daniel Carlson should be the mayor of Auburn today, and Gus better be glad he is as good as he is, because otherwise, ol Les may not be the one dusting off his resume today. 

3 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Hopefully we'll have a new OC/QB coach next year. We sure need one. However, 6 FG's and no TD's won't cut it when we face Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miss. State and Alabama.

It will not cut it at all! If UGA's QB Eason figures it out late in the season you could add them to the list too. Arky, Ole Miss and Bama are going to rack up some points and our defense can only hold up so long. Right now i'm not looking forward to those games. 

4 hours ago, tiger88 said:

The playcalling needs big time help, still. 

It does. It wasn't bad but it was very vanilla. Once again trying to play it too safe. 

If not Art, then bring in Kendal plus a new OL coach. We couldn't score on 4th down from LSU's 1 yard line before the half ended. That's uncalled for.

2 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

AU hired Malzahn to be a head coach is what I recall. And dang, I think that's his job title too!

All I'm saying is what's he bringing to the table if it's not his personal offensive playcalling expertise? That's what makes him who he is and what put him on the map IMO

Just now, Tiger said:

All I'm saying is what's he bringing to the table if it's not his personal offensive playcalling expertise? That's what makes him who he is and what put him on the map IMO

CGM was hired to be a HC and win games. That's it. His expertise and rep is what got him the opportunity (along with the crystal football in AU's trophy case.)  Having him call plays may have been what everyone expected and we've had that,  but since it wasn't working all that well last season or early on this season, that expectation has given way to reality and change.  That's what is, IMHO.

4 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

CGM was hired to be a HC and win games. That's it. His expertise and rep is what got him the opportunity (along with the crystal football in AU's trophy case.)  Having him call plays may have been what everyone expected and we've had that,  but since it wasn't working all that well last season or early on this season, that expectation has given way to reality and change.  That's what is, IMHO.

You know damn well Gus was brought in due to his offensive production of past teams. You should also know damn well that we expect and should be getting ALOT more than we are. If we're not paying Gus to be an offensive guru, then we need to get one in here to be the OC. Rhett is NOT a guru. He is a student to an offensive scheme that is in a MAJOR slump right now and nobody seems to be able to figure out how to utilize the talent we have. We're still trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. 

18 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

You know damn well Gus was brought in due to his offensive production of past teams. You should also know damn well that we expect and should be getting ALOT more than we are. If we're not paying Gus to be an offensive guru, then we need to get one in here to be the OC. Rhett is NOT a guru. He is a student to an offensive scheme that is in a MAJOR slump right now and nobody seems to be able to figure out how to utilize the talent we have. We're still trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. 

So I reckon you just completely missed this sentence from my post?:  "Having him call plays may have been what everyone expected and we've had that,  but since it wasn't working all that well last season or early on this season, that expectation has given way to reality and change. "

I've already said that his rep was built on offense. What? You demand I agree with you? Sorry, but the only person who will always agree with you is you. Gus was hired to be head coach and win games. That's the bottom line. Y'all can argue about the semantics amongst yourselves, OK? If I wanna argue like that I'll get married again.

I don't buy it. There were some pretty strong thoughts that Rhett should have been fired last year. Gus went to bat for him and decided to keep him. If Rhett fails, they both should go...

1 minute ago, CleCoTiger said:

So I reckon you just completely missed this sentence from my post?:  "Having him call plays may have been what everyone expected and we've had that,  but since it wasn't working all that well last season or early on this season, that expectation has given way to reality and change. "

I've already said that his rep was built on offense. What? You demand I agree with you? Sorry, but the only person who will always agree with you is you. Gus was hired to be head coach and win games. That's the bottom line. Y'all can argue about the semantics amongst yourselves, OK? If I wanna argue like that I'll get married again.

Lighten up Francis. You're awfully emotional. I haven't "demanded" anyone, much less you, agree with me. I'm not here to argue. We both stated facts...there's nothing to argue about. The biggest fact is Gus was brought in for his offensive "prowess". Well as its abundantly evident...that's not working. It didn't work last year either, yet he chooses to keep yes men and his step son Rhett. He had a chance to make a change in this past offseason but didn't. Keep believing the BS...I don't care. Hell, I was where you are last year, but I won't defend his slow play decisions anymore. Its production time, and we're just not getting it. And since Gus was hired to be a HC and win games I believe it's time to start seeing results instead of promises in the press conferences. WDE.

6 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Say what you will, but last night was the first time all year I remember really playing with some pace on offense.  Yeah, we need to put some drives in the end zone, but overall the offense was much smoother (re: getting plays in, running fast, etc).

I think you may have broken the code.  I can remember in the past, we accelerated the pace the closer we got to the goal line.  Maybe, maybe it is the difference between getting a defense tired and confused versus, our offense being the ones who look tired and confused?

36 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Lighten up Francis. You're awfully emotional. 

From your earlier comment: "You know damn well Gus was brought in due to his offensive production of past teams. You should also know damn well that we expect and should be getting ALOT more than we are.  "

Now...who's emotional? Ain't me. I'm kind of LOLing at ya actually, especially in light of the post (that I mostly snipped) this is in response to.  Regardless, we may have a difference of opinion but we're both AU fans. So WDE! right back at ya! Better days are ahead.

9 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

From your earlier comment: "You know damn well Gus was brought in due to his offensive production of past teams. You should also know damn well that we expect and should be getting ALOT more than we are.  "

Now...who's emotional? Ain't me. I'm kind of LOLing at ya actually, especially in light of the post (that I mostly snipped) this is in response to.  Regardless, we may have a difference of opinion but we're both AU fans. So WDE! right back at ya! Better days are ahead.

The only emotion I have is that Auburn is paying a ton of money to someone that isn't doing the job. We're still watching the same stagnant offense at times and seeing the same predictable play calling. I love Gus, but he is hardheaded and it's gonna bite him eventually. We all just watched LSU just fire their winningest coach of all time for being the same thing. Frankly, I want Gus to turn it around. I also want him to swallow his pride a bit and stop being so stubborn. I don't like the coaching carousel that has been taking place here. There's no reason for these top 10 classes to be pissed away year after year, but it seems like that's exactly what's happening.

man at some of you guys thinking gus is selling at rhett. i do not for a minute believe the crap some of you are spewing about him and rhett. i believe he is giving rhett a chance to shine because he has failed with clempson and a and m. and helloooooooo? it does not seem like he is letting his o line guy call many if any plays. when the crowd smells blood it is often sink or swim. yes this is just my opinion but if you all of a sudden think a class guy like gus would suddenly start betraying his coworkers some of you need your heads examined. i have not been happy with gus this year but i will not smear gus when the shoe does not fit. he is and remains a classy coach. we got issues we can work with instead of just making things up. lets try to stick with the facts like i was told in a different thread................

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

man at some of you guys thinking gus is selling at rhett. i do not for a minute believe the crap some of you are spewing about him and rhett. i believe he is giving rhett a chance to shine because he has failed with clempson and a and m. and helloooooooo? it does not seem like he is letting his o line guy call many if any plays. when the crowd smells blood it is often sink or swim. yes this is just my opinion but if you all of a sudden think a class guy like gus would suddenly start betraying his coworkers some of you need your heads examined. i have not been happy with gus this year but i will not smear gus when the shoe does not fit. he is and remains a classy coach. we got issues we can work with instead of just making things up. lets try to stick with the facts like i was told in a different thread................

This.

Reading through this thread I kept thinking that Gus would never start selling out his coworkers (ESPECIALLY Rhett). Gus may have been given the chance to be our HC because of his success as an OC, but I for one think it is time to let the reigns go. Rhett is a big boy and I would love for him to step up and take charge as the OC... I think he can surprise us. He may have been totally trained under Gus, but I would like to think that he watches other teams and can visualize new plays that are applicable to our offense. I respect Gus and may be naive, but truly believe that he is not acting in a stubborn way by letting his coordinators do their thing.

I just want the O line to mesh a bit better...

21 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Gus relinquished all play calling duty to Rhett last night for the remainder of the season. Seems as if we crash and burn on offense Rhett will be the scapegoat. Thoughts? 

Funny how the OC can be a scapegoat for calling plays. Shows you how messed up AU really is. 

33 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Funny how the OC can be a scapegoat for calling plays. Shows you how messed up AU really is. 

This is Seinfeld level comedy.  

Especially when our HC promised he was getting back to his roots, gonna do what he does best, was shedding the CEO role of being a HC that he just wasn't happy doing, and said he would be intimately involved with the offense and QBs.......Now a few months down the road he's giving up what he does best, transferring the offense back over to his $600,000 OC and going back to the CEO role.

1 hour ago, AURealist said:

Gus has million$ of reasons to throw Rhett under the Gus Bus.

Nothing Gus is currently doing is worth $4 million a year.

Other than landing a top 10 recruiting class every year of his head coaching tenure... something that was never done until he stepped on the Plains.  Oh yea, and then there's the fact that our D is playing at a level not seen since Tubberville. And I guess team chemistry that has these boys fighting against serious adversity until the final whistle each week... yea... none of that is worth the money we are paying him.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Other than landing a top 10 recruiting class every year of his head coaching tenure... something that was never done until he stepped on the Plains.  Oh yea, and then there's the fact that our D is playing at a level not seen since Tubberville. And I guess team chemistry that has these boys fighting against serious adversity until the final whistle each week... yea... none of that is worth the money we are paying him.

We're 2-2 and paying an offensive "guru" lot of money to kick field goals. So he can recruit? So what? Dameyune Craig can recruit too but you didn't mind scapegoating him last year for Ricardo's dropsies.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

We're 2-2 and paying an offensive "guru" lot of money to kick field goals. So he can recruit? So what? Dameyune Craig can recruit too but you didn't mind scapegoating him last year for Ricardo's dropsies.

Don't provide reasoning . All it does is get you accused of having an agenda 

10 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Winning games are what we are paying Gus for.   Gus got a huge win against LSU on Saturday and we will win against our cupcake on Saturday.  MSU should be a W too.  Based on the way teams are currently playing, we should only lose to Ole Miss and spuat the rest of the season.  I still stand by my opinion that a 9 win regular season (including a win over either uga or spuat) will be what I would consider acceptable.   I also still stand by my stance that should Gus not achieve that record, I would rather give Gus another year rather than let Jay Jacobs hire another head football coach at AU.

wde

I don't see any point in not putting all of the play calling on Rhett

Gus seems to have realized that his 3 plays and the order he's running them in was about to get him fired. So he's gonna let Rhett call plays for a few reason 

More experience for Rhett, whether he stays leaves or gets fired at the end of the year, it's good for him.

maybe Rhett will do great, the offense will roar back to life and he'll get a different job offer at the end of the year, maybe he'll stay here and do great things. (I do believe Gus handing over the reigns is the equivalent to the writing behind on the wall)

if Rhett does terrible, it gives the university an oppurtunity to fire him. 

Either way it goes, it shows whoever we target next as OC that Gus has gotten out of the way and the offense will be yours. Which could definitely help entice some of the bigger names. 

I kinda feel bad for rhett

"hey bud, I know I made this really sh***y playbook for this year...and I know I haven't been able to do anything with it...but it's on you now. Good luck, if you don't produce better than the past 16 games, you're donezo lol" 

- gus 

Archived