Must See Movies

DKW 86

i love movies so much

how's NO ONE list THE GODFATHER??????? or GODFATHER II? III is average.

Coming to America?? Good Will Hunting? One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest? Sling Blade? Indiana Jones trilogy? Deer Hunter? there are just too many great films.

my top movies i've seen recently:

Garden State - zach braff is going to be a ron howard-esque force if he keeps at it, and natalie portman is incredible

City of God - foreign film, true story of a Brazilian photographer who grew up in the ghetto in Rio

Goodbye Lenin - foreign film, a kid's mother obsessively serves the Communist party but goes into a coma before the fall... wakes up after. he tries to keep her in the dark about the new government

In America - immigrant family from Ireland moves to the states to change their fortune. generic idea, but the cast is just so good. Djimon Hounsou (the black guy in Gladiator) is amazing as the neighbor

good obscure movie...

i'd put city of god as one of the top relative unknowns i've ever seen. it is extremely well acted, very realistic. dramatic, action parts, family crisis... great movie. plus, it's true so that makes it better. you don't even notice the subtitles.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mcguf,

In America was awesome. Was that based on a true story? I noticed in the credits that 2 or 3 family members had collaborated in writing it.

Godfather was great...Godfather II may be the second-worst sequel in movie history...Caddyshack II is hands down the worst sequel ever.

Smokey and the Bandit...brainless fun, which is what I look for most of the time in a movie.

"Nobody....NOBODY makes Sheriff Buford T. Justice look like a possum pecker!"

"Nobody....NOBODY makes Sheriff Buford T. Justice look like a possum pecker!"

143531[/snapback]

"But, Daddy, what about the...."

"Shut yo ***."

Man, that movie is just filled with the great lines.

This past weekend, we watched Friday Night Lights and Monster.

If you're looking for a good DVD to get from Netflix, grab the new Battlestar Galactica. It came out in December, based on the SciFi Channel's mini-series. The regular series that continues the story is on Friday nights on SciFi as well. I'm addicted to that show.

i love movies so much

how's NO ONE list THE GODFATHER??????? or GODFATHER II? III is average.

Coming to America??  Good Will Hunting? One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest? Sling Blade? Indiana Jones trilogy? Deer Hunter? there are just too many great films.

my top movies i've seen recently:

Garden State - zach braff is going to be a ron howard-esque force if he keeps at it, and natalie portman is incredible

City of God - foreign film, true story of a Brazilian photographer who grew up in the ghetto in Rio

Goodbye Lenin - foreign film, a kid's mother obsessively serves the Communist party but goes into a coma before the fall... wakes up after. he tries to keep her in the dark about the new government

In America - immigrant family from Ireland moves to the states to change their fortune. generic idea, but the cast is just so good. Djimon Hounsou (the black guy in Gladiator) is amazing as the neighbor

good obscure movie...

i'd put city of god as one of the top relative unknowns i've ever seen. it is extremely well acted, very realistic. dramatic, action parts, family crisis... great movie. plus, it's true so that makes it better. you don't even notice the subtitles.

143524[/snapback]

I like your taste. City of God was very engaging. An Australian film from about 20 years ago that is worth a look: Breaker Morant. War/courtroom/true story/buddy film all-in-one. Also, Gallipoli.

godfather II won best picture in 1974, best supporting actor, best director, along with 3 other oscars.... i'd hardly say that was a bad movie. i didn't like it as much as the first, but it's like saying my new york strip just sucks b/c it's not as tender as the filet mignon. in reality, the strip is great; it's just not a filet.

There are so many I could name...I'll go with these for now:

Tombstone

Shawshank Redemption

The Passion of the Christ

We Were Soldiers

NL Christmas Vacation

LA Confidential

i love la confidential. i don't really know why. it's just a clever, tight film. good acting. if you haven't seen it, that and the usual suspects are two of the best cop/ crime films.

What was that name that spacey told the crooked chief that tipped off the young kid in la conf.? Rollo tamassi or something like that. That was an awesome moment when the boss asked the kid about the name and he instantly knew the boss was crooked. That flick was awesome, kim bassinger never looked better. Great actors everywhere. Bassinger won an oscar for that didn't she?

Shawshank is one of the all time greats. I did think that after the scene where those guys had there way with robbins that they should have called it the "Rawshank Redemption" though. :o:lol:

I own the usual suspects. Another great film with spacey.

sorry, guf, left off an I when listing the crappy sequel to the Godfather...the third one was indeed the turd in the punch bowl.

Bull Durham, politics of the stars aside, is an all-timer, too.

i liked run lola, run. i really liked bull durham.

did you guess rollo tomassi off the top of your head? if so, great job. 100% correct. i just bought the movie a couple weeks ago and watched it again, and yeah, that is a classic moment. gives you the feeling that you're in on a joke that no one else is. and yeah, basinger won. can you believe in hindsight that titanic won best picture over confidential, good will hunting (another must see), and as good as it gets? honestly, that's like picking sam bowie over jordan. we need a revote.

shawshank is great.

another one i don't remember reading is dumb and dumber. it's like the citizen kane of stupid comedy. it really changed the course of comic movies.

Has anyone seen Ray? We've been debating about buying it, but just wanted to hear some input. Thanks!

I learned a while back to never buy a dvd unless you have seen the movie. It really sucks to pay 20-25 bucks for a piece of crap you'll never watch again.

My gander movie, oogle movie is "True Lies."

I have the image of Jamie Leigh Curtis seared into my brain. Almost every man I know thinks the same too. It was the first movie I had to go buy the next day.

I recommend the new "Thomas Crown Affair" tom any couple. Watch it with your spouse. It is a really good romance movie that guys will really like too. The plot twists etc are very good and the scenes with Rene Russo/Pierce Brosnan are great.

There I need to go take a cold shower now.

My gander movie, oogle movie is "True Lies."

I have the image of Jamie Leigh Curtis seared into my brain. Almost every man I know thinks the same too. It was the first movie I had to go buy the next day.

I recommend the new "Thomas Crown Affair" tom any couple. Watch it with your spouse. It is a really good romance movie that guys will really like too. The plot twists etc are very good and the scenes with Rene Russo/Pierce Brosnan are great.

There I need to go take a cold shower now.

144861[/snapback]

If you liked Jamie Leigh Curtis in True Lies, you probably really liked her scene in Trading Places. <_<

Saving Private Ryan

Greatest family movie ever made, "The Princess Bride."

Armegeddon was a nice action flick.

All of the Die Hard movies.

Harvey, with Jimmy Stewart.

The Big Red One w/Lee marvin, Mark Hamil, etc

Every Star Wars ever made. Although the first was the best. My dad took me to see it when I was 11.

Stargate and the Stargate SG1 series.

Goonies. Lot of fun. CHUUUNNK! CHUUUNCK!

Shattered w/ Tom Berringer/Greta Sachi. See if you can figure it out before the end.

No Way Out. Watch it twice.

Casablanca and “to kill a mockingbird” a must see classic films. I also liked Sierra Madre. It’s hard to go wrong with Bogart and I encourage anyone unfamiliar with Bogart to watch some of his films on TCM when you have the chance.

As for fun films, two of the greatest I have see are Road Warrior and Conan the Barbarian.

Office Space is the funniest movie about work that I have seen. For those who like British humor, try getting a copy of “The Office”, make sure to get the final “Christmas special” which ends the series.

Also, I agree with the previously stated comments about Gallipoli and Breaker Morant.

did you just see them? if so, glad you liked them. if not, glad you agree.

although i'm a younger guy, i think every jimmy stewart movie, ever, is brilliant. bogart is great, and if you're in my age group (i'm 22) and you've never seen casablanca, go watch it. it's a great movie, but the best part is hearing like every catch phrase your parents ever uttered and realizing they all came from the same movie. seriously, like every line of the film is famous in some way.

i assume the jamie lee curtis fans are well above my age. i remember thinking... gross she's my mom's age. i'm old enough now to respect the beauty, but i never really get that thought out of my head.

i also agree with the comment about princess bride. i must've seen that 20 times in my life, and i remember thinking fred savage was the coooooolest. plus he got to kiss winnie (sp?). my hero.

although i'm a younger guy, i think every jimmy stewart movie, ever, is brilliant. bogart is great, and if you're in my age group (i'm 22) and you've never seen casablanca, go watch it. it's a great movie, but the best part is hearing like every catch phrase your parents ever uttered and realizing they all came from the same movie. seriously, like every line of the film is famous in some way.

i assume the jamie lee curtis fans are well above my age. i remember thinking... gross she's my mom's age. i'm old enough now to respect the beauty, but i never really get that thought out of my head.

i also agree with the comment about princess bride. i must've seen that 20 times in my life, and i remember thinking fred savage was the coooooolest. plus he got to kiss winnie (sp?). my hero.

145294[/snapback]

See Jamie Lee in Trading Places, long before she was your mom's age.

Im 24 and yes i can fully appreciate Jamie Lee in True Lies.

And since trading places is one of my all time favorite movies...i know where you're coming from on that.

I bought Ray tonight. Watched it for the first time. Really solid movie. Jamie Fox is quite the actor. I'll bet nobody here saw one of his lesser known movies...Bait. Good movie. He did a good job in collateral too.

145294[/snapback]

See Jamie Lee in Trading Places, long before she was your mom's age.

145297[/snapback]

Grandview U.S.A. has a few good scenes in it also. She doesn't chew gum in this one......

Archived