KJ hardest running back to tackle in SEC

abw0004

2 hours ago, oracle79 said:

2nd post I've seen where you've said this.  Just curious at to your source, as I haven't seen anything about and injury to Pettway, and I never saw any evidence of injury to him in LSU game.

I think Gus mentioned this in the post game interview. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Fournette is running low on fuel and is being far too overworked for him to be at his best.  I hope he can heal and become a 1st round pick come draft day. Shutting down LF makes LSU's offense far less effective than otherwise. I think that Ed Orgeron will win at lease 6 or more games as the IHC. If he beats or come within a breath  of beating bammer will seal the deal for him.

I  hope that their new HC will be Orgeron. In the long term. he will last 4-5 seasons at LSU and will pull off enough wins in the SEC for him to keep his job. I do see us winning more games in the AU vs  LSU. This hire would keep LSU in the decent / mediocre range of teams in the SEC.  

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

2nd post I've seen where you've said this.  Just curious at to your source, as I haven't seen anything about and injury to Pettway, and I never saw any evidence of injury to him in LSU game.

I got it from Malzahn's post-game presser after LSU. Malzahn said it wasn't any big deal and that Kam would be back quickly.  (Or maybe I dreamed it. I don't think I did though. I really try to not post anything of a dubious nature concerning stuff like this.)

1 hour ago, CleCoTiger said:

My understanding on Kam, at least in the second half of the LSU game, is that he'd suffered some sort of thigh/leg bruise that limited him which is why he didn't see the field more than he did. But man I'm with ya! I like Kerryon but I also really like that 240 pound truck called Kam.  He moves really well for a guy that size, and he does pick up some yards.  (I know this. If I were a DB and saw him headed my way, I'd find something to trip on, or maybe fall down with a cramp.  Sure ain't getting in his way.)

Like the clip of Matt Ryan diving to avoid being hit by Nick Fairley? :bananadance:

Just now, AidiAU said:

Like the clip of Matt Ryan diving to avoid being hit by Nick Fairley? :bananadance:

Nick "Far-ly" also got a sack that game.

Kerryon Johnson? Well that's an awfully strange way to spell Leonard Fournette.

Look, I love KJ. I would absolutely love to see both KJ and Bubba back there at the same time. This COULD create a number of opportunities. But KJ is a SO. Fournette is a 6'1 235 SR, KJ is 6'0 210... Also I've never heard anyone stress getting low on KJ as the only way to tackle him. Matter of fact I've seen the opposite this season. I forget which game it was but a defender all but horse collar tackled him. Just TRY that with LF... Then we will see who the hardest to tackle is. Thats hogwash.

15 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

I have never heard of that stat before: "No running back in the SEC has forced more tackles on runs than #Auburn's Kerryon Johnson so far -- he's forced 17 on 77 carries this year."

"Forced tackles." What does that mean?

The way I take it is he has been tackled the most. Maybe because we run the ball so much? I don't know.

But I would bet my left arm and both my kids that you could ask ANY defender in the SEC who would they rather have running at them LF or KJ, and 99 out of 100 would say they would rather have KJ running at them. Meaning they would rather want to have to tackle KJ than LF...but only on days that end in Y... 

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

I actually think by season's end, KJ will be among the elite group of the best RBs in the country if he does not get injured.  He will be either 1st or 2nd All SEC team for 2017. Fournette is an elite RB no doubt and has earned this. I believe KJ will be as good as Fournette soon.

I love the optimism, and I would love for this to be spot on true, but KJ has A LOT of Wheeties to eat to catch up to LF. As I said in my last post, LF is 1" taller which is no big deal. But he also has 25 pounds of muscle on KJ. And that IS a big deal. 

KJ can without question get there. But to say that his name should be in the same breath as LF... I personally don't feel KJ has earned that distinction just yet. He still has more growing to do...all around...both body and mind.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Love your optimism Doc.  I can't be certain, but I think Kerryon has a lot of weight room work to do to measure up to Fournette. The dude is just a beast.  He's kind of like Kerryon and Kam combined into one back.  

Couldn't of said that better myself

15 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I love the optimism, and I would love for this to be spot on true, but KJ has A LOT of Wheeties to eat to catch up to LF. As I said in my last post, LF is 1" taller which is no big deal. But he also has 25 pounds of muscle on KJ. And that IS a big deal. 

KJ can without question get there. But to say that his name should be in the same breath as LF... I personally don't feel KJ has earned that distinction just yet. He still has more growing to do...all around...both body and mind.

Couldn't of said that better myself

Totally agree. I love KJ. Great kid and gives 110% effort as well as 110% of his heart. He is a very good back for AU now, and I think we will remember him long after he leaves AU.

That being said both Fournette and Chubb are bigger, much more powerful backs. Watching the LSU game I was proud of the way our defense got after Fournette. That being said, I was scared sxxxless every time he got the ball. Fournette was definitely the best player on the field.

Kim just needs to learn to get his feet/knees up a little going through the hole.  Ronnie Brown didn't learn to run until his sophomore season.  His first carries he got tripped through the line often on ankle grabbing plays.

6 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I actually think Kerryon is your best bet at getting a couple hard yards. He hits hard enough and he is elusive enough to to make that first defender miss. When teams sell out for the run, seems they can stop a bruiser much easier because they can get to him before he gets going.

But what the hay, I don't understand basic football fundamentals like they say.

I would have KP lead blocking for KJ in the power-I on a goal line run.

or Monty

4 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

I got it from Malzahn's post-game presser after LSU. Malzahn said it wasn't any big deal and that Kam would be back quickly.  (Or maybe I dreamed it. I don't think I did though. I really try to not post anything of a dubious nature concerning stuff like this.)

Thanks.  I don't watch the videos, just look at the comments listed under it.

On 9/29/2016 at 9:40 AM, The Plainsman said:

KJ is beginning to remind me of Ronnie Brown.... I like the Fullwood reference too.  Not their yet,.  But developing a lot this season. 

Thank you for that. Just watched the swing pass he caught against LSU where he knocked two dudes out at the end.  He seems to have a toughness and style that reminds me of Fullwood which is high praise from my perspective since BF is top three all time Auburn rb's in my book  If he stays two more years he will be a legend WDE!

On 9/28/2016 at 11:23 AM, lionheartkc said:

I think Kerryon has all the makings of a great back, if he can get the O-Line support he needs.  My biggest concern is that Kam has been practically unstoppable when he is in the game (5-6 yards per dive when Kerryon is getting 2-3), yet Gus/Rhett seem to favor Kerryon, and I think it has cost us a few times.  I still wonder if we would have a few more red zone touchdowns if we put our bruiser in there.

Which is why it would be sound strategy to see crossbuck action with Kerryon as either the Speed Sweep back or lining up in the backfield opposite of Pettway.

Kerryon going one way. Pettway up the middle. Either gets the carry with Cox blocking.

Same thing Gus did with Fannin, Tate and O-Mac in 09. Highly efficient.

LSU did it twice against us last week. Fournette almost scored both times on it.

5 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

I dont see any resemblance to Fullwood in any way. Running style, speed, etc. Nothing alike.

Exactly. Fullwood ran a 4.28. Kerryon maybe a 4.45 or 4.5.

Fullwood had a short, quick stride. Kerryon has a long stride.

9 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

I dont see any resemblance to Fullwood in any way. Running style, speed, etc. Nothing alike.

He's always reminded me of Darren McFadden.

I read somebody on here previously say that he reminds them of Kenny Irons.  I can see that.... elbows and knees flying all over the place as he runs...

9 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Exactly. Fullwood ran a 4.28. Kerryon maybe a 4.45 or 4.5.

Fullwood had a short, quick stride. Kerryon has a long stride.

Fullwood could flat out fly. Ran on his tip-toes with small strides. He could get the corner easily and be gone in flash. KJ is not that type of back. 

18 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

I am not there now to see KJ first hand like I was with BF but I watch him and think that regardless of style and speed, he hits the hole hard and is hard to take down in a way that Fullwood was.  Maybe it's just that  by the time he leaves he will be in the category of Warner Robin's finest.  The more touches KJ has this year the better.

Archived