Any news on KJ?

LKEEL75

This may be buried in another thread some where but I didn't feel like reading every post of every thread.  Does anyone have any news on Kerryon and his injury?

11 minutes ago, jared52 said:

I think all we know for sure is that he will not be playing this Saturday.

Yeah, I'm confident we'll beat Bye week with or without KJ. Man I'm getting cocky. :)

9 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Yeah, I'm confident we'll beat Bye week with or without KJ. Man I'm getting cocky. :)

Don't think AU hasn't struggle with them in the past.

Back now topic, I would bet we won't hear anything until Gus's presser.

Yeah, I know you should never take a week for granted but playing BYe this week may be the best thing for us.  It really couldn't have come at a better time for us to be coming of 3 wins and before we get into the meat of Oct.  

Glad news on KJ is good.  

To tack on to what everyone else has said, KJ is day to day and Gus feels like he could return for Arkansas.  Although he might be needed as Arkansas defense is known for their physicality, if we start out like we did in Mississippi State, I would prefer not to play him and have Truitt play.  I say that because we need KJ completely healthy for the games following this one.  Last year KJ (shoulder), Matthews (shoulders) and Lawson (hip) rushed back out to the field and were never 100% because they never had time to recover properly.

So in essence, let KP start and if things are going great, don't change anything.  But then again, I am not the head coach so my opinion doesn't really matter.

a quick update which is what everyone has been saying:  link

AUBURN, Ala. — Auburn running back Kerryon Johnson's injured ankle is not a serious injury and coaches remain optimistic the bye week will be enough time for him to heal before the Tigers return to the field.

"It’s very important because he’s one of our best players. Very optimistic," Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee said. "He’s doing well. We’ll just kinda take it day to day right now. He’s progressing well, probably better than our trainers maybe thought after Saturday. It’s nothing major and serious, we just hope he’ll continue to improve and get better."

Johnson injured his right ankle on the second possession of the Tigers' 38-14 victory at Mississippi State on Saturday. He was seen using crutches on the sideline and his right ankle was heavily wrapped.

"I don't think it's anything too serious," Malzahn told reporters at the Monday Morning Quarterback Club in Birmingham on Monday. "Hoping to have him back by the Arkansas game. He's a tough guy, he heals pretty quick and so we'll see what happens."

Lashlee confirmed that statement Tuesday, adding that the return of Johnson to the field before Auburn hosts Arkansas on Oct. 22 is important because the sophomore is a "dynamic guy" on the field.

"We’re doing everything we can to have him ready to roll, and if not the other guys will just have to step up," Lashlee said.

Subscribe to the FREE Auburn Undercover newsletter for up-to-date coverage — it only takes five seconds to sign up!

Johnson leads Auburn with 538 yards and six touchdowns. He averages 5.1 yards per carry.

He finished the MSU victory with three carries for 21 yards.

Kamryn Pettway stepped in and scored three touchdowns in the first half on his way to a career-high 169 yards on 39 carries in the victory.

I am impressed with the coaching job coach Horton has done with our RBs this season. It looks like all we have to do is to reload the big gun with another RB that is closed to being as good as the one he is spelling for a bit. With what we were looking at not too long ago, things looked dire with Jovon and Roc leaving the team. Our coaches definitely knew something that we did not know.

However, and injury or 2 could make things a little dicey. I do think that our guys will play tough and make our opponents dread each QB or RB that they have to prepare for. I think Gus is making progress with getting his bling back in order.

Glad to see KJ is going to be fine. I really like him as a back. Routing for him to get 1000

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

I am impressed with the coaching job coach Horton has done with our RBs this season. It looks like all we have to do is to reload the big gun with another RB that is closed to being as good as the one he is spelling for a bit. With what we were looking at not too long ago, things looked dire with Jovon and Roc leaving the team. Our coaches definitely knew something that we did not know.

However, and injury or 2 could make things a little dicey. I do think that our guys will play tough and make our opponents dread each QB or RB that they have to prepare for. I think Gus is making progress with getting his bling back in order.

Horton is by far our most valuable offensive coach. Great coaching job every year with the RBs and a solid recruiter. Very glad he didn't move on after 2015. 

28 minutes ago, lca408 said:

Horton is by far our most valuable offensive coach. Great coaching job every year with the RBs and a solid recruiter. Very glad he didn't move on after 2015. 

He's like a really good offensive lineman. After awhile, you just take for granted that there won't be problems at that position. 

On 10/10/2016 at 1:35 PM, abw0004 said:

To tack on to what everyone else has said, KJ is day to day and Gus feels like he could return for Arkansas.  Although he might be needed as Arkansas defense is known for their physicality, if we start out like we did in Mississippi State, I would prefer not to play him and have Truitt play.  I say that because we need KJ completely healthy for the games following this one.  Last year KJ (shoulder), Matthews (shoulders) and Lawson (hip) rushed back out to the field and were never 100% because they never had time to recover properly.

So in essence, let KP start and if things are going great, don't change anything.  But then again, I am not the head coach so my opinion doesn't really matter.

Not from what Ive seen. Their DL looks anything but physical.

1 hour ago, lca408 said:

You have to give him ALL of the credit deserved, he's not just a solid recruiter, he's our recruiting coordinator.

The coaches keep saying it doesn't appear to be serious. But it was two weeks ago Lashlee said the same thing about Malik Miller and the next thing we know Miller under goes knee surgery and may or may not be out for the year.

6 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

The coaches keep saying it doesn't appear to be serious. But it was two weeks ago Lashlee said the same thing about Malik Miller and the next thing we know Miller under goes knee surgery and may or may not be out for the year.

@passthebiscuits is our regular, in the know, member on this kind of thing, who also happens to be a doctor, and he said it's a low ankle sprain, which is synonymous with "no big deal".  No worries.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

He's like a really good offensive lineman. After awhile, you just take for granted that there won't be problems at that position. 

Hey Mac!  I think you have the 2 Horton's confused. One guy is the RB coach and the other is the big old mean Horton on the O line.

On 10/10/2016 at 0:55 PM, NoALtiger said:

Yes you are. Now, I realize that Bye doesn't have the players up and down the line to beat us, but if we get overconfident we could still beat ourselves...

2 hours ago, milehighfan said:

Didn't see where lashee said that but I honestly could tell right after he injured his that he would miss significant time. The test they did only the sideline where they pushed down on his lower leg and he could not keep it up was the tell. With KJ he really could have played but why risk it. That's why I said in another thread that our offensive approach was so different the second 1/2. Big lead on the road, bye week next, just run the ball and let the defense do their job 

AUBURN, Ala. — Auburn running back Kerryon Johnson, who left last week’s rout of Mississippi State with an ankle injury in the first quarter, appears on track to play next week against Arkansas.

He took a hit to his right ankle against the Bulldogs on the Tigers’ second drive and didn’t return. Auburn is off this week, and offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee said it appears Johnson will play against the Hogs next Saturday.

“It’s very important (to have Johnson back for Arkansas) because he’s one of our best players,” Lashlee said. “Very optimistic – he’s doing well. We’ll just kind of take it day by day right now, but he’s progressing well, maybe better than our trainers maybe thought after Saturday. But it’s nothing major and serious. We just hope that it will continue to improve and get better, but he’s a dynamic player, he’s a guy that does a lot of things from an all-purpose standpoint.”

In Johnson's absence, Kamryn Pettway rushed for 169 yards and three TDs against Mississippi State.

“I think it just shows, next man up,” Lashlee said. “(Pettway) came in and played very well. Kameron Martin got in there and did some good things; even Stanton Truitt. Chandler Cox is a guy who can run the ball, too, if we need him.

"So, we’re doing everything we can to have him ready to roll, and if not, the other guys are just going to have to step up.”

http://gridironnow.com/auburn-kerryon-johnson-ankle-injury/

Archived