Alabama opening as a 19 point favorite

WeagleAU

4 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I'm the opposite of most of you.  Play to your strengths.  Run the ball.  Play field position unless you have to change the game plan.  Use quick short passes.  Nothing wrong with punting sometimes.  Keep it close until the 4th then try to hit them with something over the top.  Get pressure and hits on Hurts and protect the ball and field position on special teams.  

I'm with you.  The defense is our strength and we have to make Bammer take it length of the field against them to get points.  Run the ball, play field position, dont turn it over, keep it close until the 4th quarter and give ourselves a chance.  The pressure is on them, not us.  

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've all seen Kiffin call some bone headed plays in close games as well.  Maybe our defense can make them pay.  

The key to the game in my opinion is turnovers, open field tackling, WR blocking and that's for both teams not just ours.

17 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

Since our O coaching staff lacks the capability of a competent mid range passing attack with the occasional down field pass, then our O is sitting ducks against spuat.  Our genius O HC did not even try to expand our passing game against Alabama A&M last night in preparation for spuat.  We are going to see Clemson, Texas A&M and uga all over again when it comes to O production except we are playing against a far better D in spuat than any of those teams.  We will be lucky to cross midfield on O Saturday.

wde

That's pretty much where I stand. I expect us to get throttled and embarrassed on national TV.

2 hours ago, weagl1 said:

I'm with you.  The defense is our strength and we have to make Bammer take it length of the field against them to get points.  Run the ball, play field position, dont turn it over, keep it close until the 4th quarter and give ourselves a chance.  The pressure is on them, not us.  

I agree with both you and corchjay - we are who we are. We can't just line up and decide to throw the ball 30 times in this game. We have not practiced it, we don't have a competent passing game at this point, and if we did pass it will probably increase the chances of us turning the ball over by quite a bit. Our chances of winning this game with all of the injuries we have a slim to none at this point but we have a great defense and kicking game. Do our best to win with defense and try to take advantage of mistakes. If we can keep it close in the second half then we need to take our chances at that point. 

19 hours ago, AU64 said:

As we have observed all season, a ground game is not the best plan to beat  Bama . Unfortunately that is all that we have. Our plan B through the air has not been working lately. The point spread seems about right to me . 

We were not supposed to run on them in 2013 either.

27 minutes ago, Tiger said:

More interesting would be:

over/under AU points scored: 19 pts. What you got?

Way under. At this point, I'll be shocked if we hit double digits

I hope Rhett and Gus are studying what worked for Ole Miss and Arkansas. Going to need that help. lol

I have faith in our defense. I've said for a while that this game could be a one score contest or at least 10 point difference just due to their determination, like the LSU game for Bama.

We'll need Pettway and Cox for this game for the hard running and our receivers are going to have to make every catch count. Set them up with our short passing game (as we are known for) then give them a double move and go deep. Hit a couple of wheel routes too and we'll open up that defense more for Pettway.

Whatever happens, WDE always!

2 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

I'm predicting a defensive struggle much like the Bama-LSU game.  First one to score 10 points wins.

Seems reasonable. Very well could be a game of "who makes the first mistake."

4 hours ago, corchjay said:

I'm the opposite of most of you.  Play to your strengths.  Run the ball.  Play field position unless you have to change the game plan.  Use quick short passes.  Nothing wrong with punting sometimes.  Keep it close until the 4th then try to hit them with something over the top.  Get pressure and hits on Hurts and protect the ball and field position on special teams.  

+1

+1

+1

This will be interesting according to how the coaches play it.  Regardless, I think defensively we play them like Clemson and slow the run, use disciplined pass rush to keep Jalen in the pocket, and force him to beat us throwing the ball.  I'd say without turnovers, and special teams breakdowns we hold their offense in the 19 -21 range.

Now, the key will be how do GM/RL play offensively?  Go with JJ and short easy passes, and runs and we keep it close and lose respectably.  Go with JJ and let him turn it loose; maybe win on some big pass plays and big scrambles, or maybe get some pick sixes and get blown out.  Go with JF3 and run 95% of the time with a couple of outs and screens, and lose respectably in a close one.  Go with JF3 and Kam Martin in a TRUE zone read package with jet sweeps and some trickeration in and allow JF3 to throw deep 5 - 10 times, and win big or get blown out big.

Will be an interesting game.

23 hours ago, Dan-0 said:

I want to see the kind of CGM that went for two in the 1st qtr. when AU scored its first touchdown the the first game of the 2013 season against Wa. State. Lay it on the line, go for broke, we got nothing to lose kind of football that gets our players and fans into this game. That´s why I made the comparison of Houston vs. Louisville.

Yep..We have everything to gain..take some chances..in the right places..make the best of being out there.

6 hours ago, oracle79 said:

This will be interesting according to how the coaches play it.  Regardless, I think defensively we play them like Clemson and slow the run, use disciplined pass rush to keep Jalen in the pocket, and force him to beat us throwing the ball.  I'd say without turnovers, and special teams breakdowns we hold their offense in the 19 -21 range.

Now, the key will be how do GM/RL play offensively?  Go with JJ and short easy passes, and runs and we keep it close and lose respectably.  Go with JJ and let him turn it loose; maybe win on some big pass plays and big scrambles, or maybe get some pick sixes and get blown out.  Go with JF3 and run 95% of the time with a couple of outs and screens, and lose respectably in a close one.  Go with JF3 and Kam Martin in a TRUE zone read package with jet sweeps and some trickeration in and allow JF3 to throw deep 5 - 10 times, and win big or get blown out big.

Will be an interesting game.

Hoping they go against their play calling tendencies (they won't) bigtime. Have to do something on Offense when necessary to keep the football on Offense. CRL has shown that he can do it...but even though he isn't "calling the plays", CGM still seems to be in CRL's head too much.

On 11/20/2016 at 1:16 PM, WeagleAU said:

Should it be more or less?  Considering all of our injuries, will we at least have a chance to cover?  

Im still hoping in the slim chance we will win.

I was thinking 17 but given our injuries I think this is still fair. Beat bammer.

On 11/20/2016 at 4:19 PM, AUIH1 said:

Since our O coaching staff lacks the capability of a competent mid range passing attack with the occasional down field pass, then our O is sitting ducks against spuat.  Our genius O HC did not even try to expand our passing game against Alabama A&M last night in preparation for spuat.  We are going to see Clemson, Texas A&M and uga all over again when it comes to O production except we are playing against a far better D in spuat than any of those teams.  We will be lucky to cross midfield on O Saturday.

wde

We had some success with the mid range passing game starting with Miss St. Of course that was with a healthy SW and it wasn't against bammer. This week will be a struggle.

Regardless, beat bama.

9 hours ago, AUcivE09 said:

We were not supposed to run on them in 2013 either.

Word

33 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

I was thinking 17 but given our injuries I think this is still fair. Beat bammer.

Interesting you say this, bammer is now a 17 point favorite as of today.  I'm hoping for some big plays on defense and special teams to help us score.

3 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

So the betting line says Bama 32 Auburn 15. (47 O/U with a 17 point spread).

I am willing to bet we hold Bama to less than 32. I suppose 32 is possible. aTm and Ole Miss both put 29 on us, but both are much more pass centric offenses.

Archived