New DB Coach discussion (Merged)

Metalsinger418

Article says he has experience with several colleges, pro, and Lil' Nicky.  Plus, I like seeing INTs.  If this is the guy, impressive so far.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the biggest assets in recruiting is you're track record and resume. To be able to say you are the only coach to have coached 3 Thorpe award winners is damn impressive.  Teaching the position leads to the league, which leads to recruits wanting to come . Recruiting without development is a program killer.

Just now, PoetTiger said:

If that's the case AU should just hired Trooper Taylor type....

hey that is fine by me. I know not a lot of people like trooper but he was big time on the trail for us. You need those guys who push the limits.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I stand by it. He looks to me to be a really good on the field coach but MY criteria was a great recruiter first and foremost. This is MEH to me.

Your criteria nor mine really applies much here....if he can't be a complete coach and recruiter then he would not have such and extensive career...give it a chance.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

One of the biggest assets in recruiting is you're track record and resume. To be able to say you are the only coach to have coached 3 Thorpe award winners is damn impressive.  Teaching the position leads to the league, which leads to recruits wanting to come . Recruiting without development is a program killer.

We hired Melvin Smith the year he coached the thorpe award winner at Miss St. He did not do anything of significance for us in recruiting that I can recall.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

hey that is fine by me. I know not a lot of people like trooper but he was big time on the trail for us. You need those guys who push the limits.

No you don't.

We hired Melvin Smith the year he coached the thorpe award winner at Miss St. He did not do anything of significance for us in recruiting that I can recall.

Are you saying Melvin Smith isn't a good coach?

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You are so right Carl. :-)

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Are you saying Melvin Smith isn't a good coach?

not a good recruiter! Thats the name of the game in college football. Didn't he get fired from ULL after a few games this season as well?

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Brown served as recruiting coordinator for Louisville for two years.

you have good intel. So Seriously was this guy next after corey raymond? How far down the list was he? If anyone would know in here it would be you.

29 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I am just going to say it. No way this goober looking dude can recruit. Thats the main thing we needed is a lights out recruiter. Yah dude has a impressive resume but looks to me more like a nfl coach than college coach. No way this guy will go toe to toe with our main competition and beat out those schools for big time secondary recruits.

You don't like him because of the way he looks?  Saban is a midget who waddles when he walks and Ed Orgeron sounds like the Cookie Monster when he talks, but they can recruit.  

And you don't think kids don't want to play for former NFL coaches..?  Mcgriff was a former NFL (Saints) coach.  They know what it takes to be an NFL DB because they coached them in the NFL.  

I don't know Brown's history so I can't really say if he is a good hire, but the few articles I have read says he is a good catch.  

32 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I stand by it. He looks to me to be a really good on the field coach but MY criteria was a great recruiter first and foremost. This is MEH to me.

So we should have hired brad Pitt?

27 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

20 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

not a good recruiter! Thats the name of the game in college football. Didn't he get fired from ULL after a few games this season as well?

Let's take a look at this logically.  I don't know where you stand on Gus, but a lot of people are griping about him succeeding on the recruiting trail but failing to develop the talent he gets to sign.  I would consider myself in that camp.  I'd much rather have a decent recruiter with a resume who can DEVELOP these kids into great football players and great men rather than wave a towel around and be a cancer to the program.  To me, development is the name of the game, not being able to tell these kids whatever they want to hear to get them to commit and then having a lot of transfers and underproducing players.  Plus, pushing the limits is how you get yourself in trouble. 

Just now, abw0004 said:

You don't like him because of the way he looks?  Saban is a midget who waddles when he walks and Ed Orgeron sounds like the Cookie Monster when he talks, but they can recruit.  

And you don't think kids don't want to play for former NFL coaches..?  Mcgriff was a former NFL (Saints) coach.  They know what it takes to be an NFL DB because they coached them in the NFL.  

I don't know Brown's history so I can't really say if he is a good hire, but the few articles I have read says he is a good catch.  

MY FAVORITE POSTER to spar with. Yah I am saying that  (with the caveat being I know NOTHING about his past recruiting history) and saban is like the youngest looking 65 year old I have ever seen. Dude takes care of himself and obviously goes to great lengths to make himself look younger.

29 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

This doesn't make sense to me. TT recruited but none of them had stand out performances under his guidance that I can remember.

Just now, WarDlowe said:

Let's take a look at this logically.  I don't know where you stand on Gus, but a lot of people are griping about him succeeding on the recruiting trail but failing to develop the talent he gets to sign.  I would consider myself in that camp.  I'd much rather have a decent recruiter with a resume who can DEVELOP these kids into great football players and great men rather than wave a towel around and be a cancer to the program.  To me, development is the name of the game, not being able to tell these kids whatever they want to hear to get them to commit and then having a lot of transfers and underproducing players.  Plus, pushing the limits is how you get yourself in trouble. 

OR how about coaches like horton, Garner and Twill who can do both???! I know that it is hard to find coaches who do both as well as those guys but hey man we all just want what is the best for Auburn. I would agree with you if we were in another conference not named the sec. We have to get top 10 talent ever year just to keep our head above water.

2 minutes ago, AU04ever said:

This doesn't make sense to me. TT recruited but none of them had stand out performances under his guidance that I can remember.

It was weird. He did not recruit Adams and Tzach two 2 star guys but they both had good seasons for us in 2010. I see what your saying though. I do not dispute it. Just easier to coach up the guys who have more talent than consistently developing the lower rated guys.

It was weird. He did not recruit Adams and Tzach two 2 star guys but they both had good seasons for us in 2010. I see what your saying though. I do not dispute it. Just easier to coach up the guys who have more talent than consistently developing the lower rated guys.

I do understand what you are saying as well. My problem with just recruit is where our DBs were just a couple years ago. We had 4 star talent that consistently tried to tackle ankles and never wrapped up. All the talent in the world is useless if they can't produce on the field. Guess just hope this guy surprises and is a stud on the recruiting trail and teaching.

11 minutes ago, AU04ever said:

Mike Mcneil had a standout performance in 2011 when he was committing a robbery.  Actually he did so well he was recognized for his performance and won an award of a 3 year jail sentence.  Recruited by TT I believe. 

9 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

MY FAVORITE POSTER to spar with. Yah I am saying that  (with the caveat being I know NOTHING about his past recruiting history) and saban is like the youngest looking 65 year old I have ever seen. Dude takes care of himself and obviously goes to great lengths to make himself look younger.

Then why in the world are you railing on the guy saying he can't recruit and will be a horrible recruiter when you just admitted you, yourself, know nothing on his past recruiting history?

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Mike Mcneil had a standout performance in 2011 when he was committing a robbery.  Actually he did so well he was recognized for his performance and won an award of a 3 year jail sentence.

went to the same high school as him! his last game for us he was the leading tackler in the BCS title game.

Archived