New DB Coach discussion (Merged)

Metalsinger418

50 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Steele did a good job of maintaining the foundation that Muschamp and Mushamp's D Staff laid in 2015.  Lets see what happens in 2017. Our D faltered against uga when it counted and against spuat when the chips were down.

wde

They also had exactly zero help from the offense in those games. They were having to keep a sinking ship afloat.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

They also had exactly zero help from the offense in those games. They were having to keep a sinking ship afloat.

wait when did the defense falter against georgia?

31 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Seriously?

They gave up two field goals against UGA.

27 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

I Disagree

Thats great. We don't see this the same. I am fine with that. I didn't see much of an improvement in WR's.  Blame the QB or the offense. Maybe the right WR's were not on the field. Blame Kodi Burns. 

Hope the DB coach is named next week 

I am way more worried about Kodi's recruiting ability than coaching ability. Got to have dudes to coach up.

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

So does Al Pogue (born in Mobile also) and he took Troy's pass D from the 100s before he got there to top 30 in some important catagories the past 2 years.                    

I do like both coaches. #8 in the country pass D in his first season is good, but he did have help as their DC is a previous DB coach. Do u think USA's DC would take a step back for an SEC DB coaching job??? He could be Co-Dc also? 

On 12/16/2016 at 9:27 AM, aubiefifty said:Rob Coleman, Auburn analyst
Rob Coleman, Auburn Analyst

Malzahn's best friend and former assistant dating back to their days at Hughes High School in Arkansas

look no further than here

Just read Gary Kubiak (Broncos HC) is retiring, which means there will most likely be some shake-up on his staff.  Out of curiosity I took a look to see if any names stood out.  One did: Reggie Herring.  I know he's never officially coached DBs before, but surely with 34 years of coaching linebackers he could pull it off (and aid in seasoning our young LB coach).

Might be the only man in the business that coached with both Pat Dye (Auburn LBs 1986-91) and Gus Malzahn (Arkansas LBs 2005-2007).  And I think he had a son that played at AU.

Just a thought.

WDE!

22 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

Just read Gary Kubiak (Broncos HC) is retiring, which means there will most likely be some shake-up on his staff.  Out of curiosity I took a look to see if any names stood out.  One did: Reggie Herring.  I know he's never officially coached DBs before, but surely with 34 years of coaching linebackers he could pull it off (and aide in seasoning our young LB coach).

Might be the only man in the business that coached with both Pat Dye (Auburn LBs 1986-91) and Gus Malzahn (Arkansas LBs 2005-2007).  And I think he had a son that played at AU.

Just a thought.

WDE!

Is he Will Herrings uncle or anything? Or is it no relation?

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Is he Will Herrings uncle or anything? Or is it no relation?

I don't know if he's related to Will H.  

I'm pretty sure his son was a walk-on LB or DE some time around the end of the Tuberville era.  I can picture his face, but don't recall his name.  Andrew, maybe?

WDE!

1 minute ago, MadtownTiger said:

I don't know if he's related to Will H.  

I'm pretty sure his son was a walk-on LB or DE some time around the end of the Tuberville era.  I can picture his face, but don't recall his name.  Andrew, maybe?

WDE!

Yes! I do believe his name was Adam.

Just found out Patrick Lee is HS coach in Florida... Been wondering what happen to him and Jonathan Willhite. man those guys with Rodgers, Rosegreen, Powers Irons were so fun to watch at CB. 

57 minutes ago, 2010primetime said:

What about Ed Reid?

It's Ed Reed and Buffalo had a very good pass D overall. Gotta think another pro team will pick him up pretty quick.

If he was open to AU though, you gotta think he would be a heck of a recruiter in the long run. He is a legend where he was born (Louisiana) and where he played (Miami Hurricanes & Baltimore Ravens, Maryland). All 3 areas are fertile recruiting grounds.

We need a coach that will here a while and can help us stop the revolving door that is that position coach. I hate to see us get another coach and he only be here 1 or 2 years. I trust Gus and Steele to get someone that will be here 3, 4 or 5 years, i know that's hard, but i'm sure he has that in the back of his mind.

The better position coaches are looking to become coordinators then head coaches. To get a really good DB coach who will be with team 3-4 years you take a chance on a young unproven guy who needs time to build his resume or an older guy who wants a final stopping place. When you are looking for the best position coaches part of the problem is how long you will be able to keep them.

10 hours ago, Timeslider 6 said:

We need a coach that will here a while and can help us stop the revolving door that is that position coach. I hate to see us get another coach and he only be here 1 or 2 years. I trust Gus and Steele to get someone that will be here 3, 4 or 5 years, i know that's hard, but i'm sure he has that in the back of his mind.

So is it really an issue that we have had two straight DB coaches hired as DCs elsewhere? I don't see how that's a bad thing at all. You sell the program and the opportunity to become a DC to coaches, and you sell the fact your DB coaches are in demand. And even if they leave, the coaches we have replaced have been as good if not better than the previous coach. 

I see it as a win/win. Now if we were replacing them due to underperformence, then I am right with you. 

Other than the championship games all bowl games are over. I thought maybe we were waiting on a coach to finish up bowl season. We are fast approaching NLI day and we may need a DB coach to help keep or to close on a DB prospect. Unless we are looking at a coach from the Pro ranks I hope we can get some candidates in here quickly and make a good decision ASAP.

1 minute ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Other than the championship games all bowl games are over. I thought maybe we were waiting on a coach to finish up bowl season. We are fast approaching NLI day and we may need a DB coach to help keep or to close on a DB prospect. Unless we are looking at a coach from the Pro ranks I hope we can get some candidates in here quickly and make a good decision ASAP.

I rather us be looking for a new head coach instead......

9 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I'm hoping it's another NFL assistant.

Kind of like I did with the Broncos and Reggie Herring (posted a couple of days ago), I took a look at the staffs of the playoff teams to see if I recognized anyone or found something that might tie them back to the region.  To be clear, I'm not lobbying for any of these guys (well, maybe one of them), just trying to pass the time until the people paid to make these decisions tell me what I need to know.

Sal Sunseri coaches LBs for the Raiders.  He and Steele run in similar circles, but I don't think they ever coached together.  Like Reggie Herring he's a career LB coach, but both have also been DCs, so they know what DBs are supposed to do.  It's plausible a grizzled old vet would take such a job so they could bring in their kid as an analyst or GA or something.

Will Lawing is a defensive QC assistant with the Texans. His father coaches at FSU.  

Anthony Midget (Texans assistant secondary coach) worked at Georgia State for five years.  He seems to be pretty well attached to Bill O'Brien, though.

David Merritt Sr (Giants safeties) played at NC State and briefly coached at UT-Chattanooga.  He has an daughter that lives in Atlanta.

Tim Walton (Giants cornerbacks) has 14 years of college experience including stints at LSU, Memphis and Miami (FL).  He's got a fantastic resume as a college coach.  One of the highlights is the number of players he guided into the NFL---thirteen guys were drafted, nine of them in the first or second round.

Of course everyone knows about Joe Whitt Jr, so it hardly seems worth mentioning.  But I did anyway.

Chad Walker (Falcons secondary assistant) has six or so years of college experience, but not of that was as a position coach.  Louisiana native, worked for dink at LSU.

Marquand Manuel (Falcons secondary, senior defensive assistant) played and worked at Florida.

Gary Gibbs (Chiefs LBs) was DC at LSU and UGA.

Greg Jackson (Cowboys safeties) played at LSU and has nine or so years of college coaching.

Turner West (Cowboys defensive assistant) is a TN native and played at Memphis when his father, Tommy West, was HC.  He's coached at MTSU, Samford and UAB.

WDE!

1 hour ago, MadtownTiger said:

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I'm hoping it's another NFL assistant.

Kind of like I did with the Broncos and Reggie Herring (posted a couple of days ago), I took a look at the staffs of the playoff teams to see if I recognized anyone or found something that might tie them back to the region.  To be clear, I'm not lobbying for any of these guys (well, maybe one of them), just trying to pass the time until the people paid to make these decisions tell me what I need to know.

Sal Sunseri coaches LBs for the Raiders.  He and Steele run in similar circles, but I don't think they ever coached together.  Like Reggie Herring he's a career LB coach, but both have also been DCs, so they know what DBs are supposed to do.  It's plausible a grizzled old vet would take such a job so they could bring in their kid as an analyst or GA or something.

Will Lawing is a defensive QC assistant with the Texans. His father coaches at FSU.  

Anthony Midget (Texans assistant secondary coach) worked at Georgia State for five years.  He seems to be pretty well attached to Bill O'Brien, though.

David Merritt Sr (Giants safeties) played at NC State and briefly coached at UT-Chattanooga.  He has an daughter that lives in Atlanta.

Tim Walton (Giants cornerbacks) has 14 years of college experience including stints at LSU, Memphis and Miami (FL).  He's got a fantastic resume as a college coach.  One of the highlights is the number of players he guided into the NFL---thirteen guys were drafted, nine of them in the first or second round.

Of course everyone knows about Joe Whitt Jr, so it hardly seems worth mentioning.  But I did anyway.

Chad Walker (Falcons secondary assistant) has six or so years of college experience, but not of that was as a position coach.  Louisiana native, worked for dink at LSU.

Marquand Manuel (Falcons secondary, senior defensive assistant) played and worked at Florida.

Gary Gibbs (Chiefs LBs) was DC at LSU and UGA.

Greg Jackson (Cowboys safeties) played at LSU and has nine or so years of college coaching.

Turner West (Cowboys defensive assistant) is a TN native and played at Memphis when his father, Tommy West, was HC.  He's coached at MTSU, Samford and UAB.

WDE!

That Tim Walton looks like he would make a nice hire (depending on fit).

Archived