New DB Coach discussion (Merged)

Metalsinger418

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Well, he was able to land Gerod Holliman, who was the nation's 4th best safety in his class and transformed him into and all-American and Jim Thorpe award winner.  I think that while he may not get every 5-star player out there (at least in the beginning), he has the ability to transform a 3 or 4 star player into an elite defensive back that would be taken in the draft.  Over time, kids will see this ability and really want to play for him since the players know they are in good hands with him.  He has 37 years of coaching experience as well.

It is kind of like Travis Williams.  He has shown this year he has the ability to take kids and make them elite players.  So in this 2017 recruiting cycle, we are seeing the impressions he is making on kids and getting really good 4-star players that are making good cases to be 5-stars in their senior seasons.

if Kevin Steele signs off on him, I am good to go.  

Why would you try and convince someone who has obviously already made their mind up, just let him think the way the way he wants. The new coach will either prove him wrong or us. :dunno:

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Well, he was able to land Gerod Holliman, who was the nation's 4th best safety in his class and transformed him into and all-American and Jim Thorpe award winner.  I think that while he may not get every 5-star player out there (at least in the beginning), he has the ability to transform a 3 or 4 star player into an elite defensive back that would be taken in the draft.  Over time, kids will see this ability and really want to play for him since the players know they are in good hands with him.  He has 37 years of coaching experience as well.

It is kind of like Travis Williams.  He has shown this year he has the ability to take kids and make them elite players.  So in this 2017 recruiting cycle, we are seeing the impressions he is making on kids and getting really good 4-star players that are making good cases to be 5-stars in their senior seasons.

if Kevin Steele signs off on him, I am good to go.  

see I am still not sold on kevin steele. I never thought much of him till this year at Auburn when he blew me away with the way our defense performed. I am just scared we will regress. Steele has never shown to be a great DC in his career. The defenses all got better when he left a school.  O I def think he can coach dudes up NO DOUBT about it just worried about his recruiting. thats a big pull he had for sure. And to a school who does not recruit that well.

3 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Why would you try and convince someone who has obviously already made their mind up, just let him think the way the way he wants. The new coach will either prove him wrong or us. :dunno:

nah fam I am open to hearing other peoples point of views!!!

4 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

He asked for my thoughts so I told him what I thought.  Other than that was I was going to let it be and get on with my Saturday night.  :bananadance:

Just now, Timeslider 6 said:

Is that why you are so argumentative about a coach that has yet to do anything on the job?

hey that does not mean I am not passionate about my point of view either. We are all competitive in here.

Certainly I see the experience and the resume reads like a proven commodity... But for me I see it as a stop gap hire.  He moves too often,. And many times for lateral moves.   Something about that doesn't sit right to me at this early point in my humble opinions n making process  

First impression is he is here to drive results with our current players period.  He is not a long term plan.   Borges type hire as we later found out... Great coach with other coaches players.  

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I am just going to say it. No way this goober looking dude can recruit. Thats the main thing we needed is a lights out recruiter. Yah dude has a impressive resume but looks to me more like a nfl coach than college coach. No way this guy will go toe to toe with our main competition and beat out those schools for big time secondary recruits.

We need a developer. We have guys that recruited well but we have not developed the talent to a satisfactory level. If he can recruit then great but developing is the more important thing right now.

not a good recruiter! Thats the name of the game in college football. Didn't he get fired from ULL after a few games this season as well?

Yup. All you have to do as a coach is recruit and twittle your thumbs. There's nothing else to it. That's why we have had 5 straight Top 10 classes but only 1 Top 10 finish on the field. Please stop while you are behind.

22 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

Certainly I see the experience and the resume reads like a proven commodity... But for me I see it as a stop gap hire.  He moves too often,. And many times for lateral moves.   Something about that doesn't sit right to me at this early point in my humble opinions n making process  

First impression is he is here to drive results with our current players period.  He is not a long term plan.   Borges type hire as we later found out... Great coach with other coaches players.  

In this day and age, aren't all coaching hires on this level "stop gap hires"?  Few assistant coaches  stay in one place for more than few years.  We've been fortunate to keep as many of our assistant coaches (i.e., Horton, Garner, and Fountain) as long as we have.

1 minute ago, triangletiger said:

In this day and age, aren't all coaching hires on this level "stop gap hires"?  Few assistant coaches  stay in one place for more than few years.  We've been fortunate to keep as many of our assistant coaches (i.e., Horton, Garner, and Fountain) as long as we have.

Definitely a nomadic profession.

you have good intel. So Seriously was this guy next after corey raymond? How far down the list was he? If anyone would know in here it would be you.

Honestly, no one really knows. This hire was the most tight lipped search I can remember. No one, and I mean no one had any idea of who was even on the list of potentials.

21 minutes ago, DAG said:

So, nobody on the "so-called" short list like I predicted? I like it. A different taste.

There was not an actual public short list. The article Marcello had was him solely speculating on possible candidates.

I love that he was good enough to get hired by Saban but he had all of the best talent in college football and got fired after one year. 

17 minutes ago, mdp5150 said:

I love that he was good enough to get hired by Saban but he had all of the best talent in college football and got fired after one year. 

A lot of times, in coaching, "firings" aren't necessarily performance based, but rather based on fits and personalities. One could do a great job, but just not be a good fit with the rest if the staff and therefore be asked to move on.

Good hire. Good pedigree. Good experience and ties the Steele. Glad Gus let Coach Steele go get his guy. Could care less what people think because it's not like the DB coach is going to make the offense better and I bet he in the least helps the defense hold serve. 

58 minutes ago, mdp5150 said:

I love centimeter deep analysis passed off as insight.

Alabama's pass defense was ranked 11th in 2013, giving up only 180.3 yds per game and 6.6 yds per attempt.  The year after he left, they fell to 59th, giving up 226 yds per game and 6.4 per attempt. Their pass defense this season is ranked 14th with 182 yds per game and 5.7 yds per attempt.

Perhaps he didn't really enjoy working for Saban, he and Saban didn't see eye to eye, etc.  But to just throw this out there with no context like it means something is pathetic.

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Over time, kids will see this ability and really want to play for him since the players know they are in good hands with him.

Problem is...with 20 stops in 36 years, does anyone believe he will stick around?

Honestly I'm more concerned about why he hasn't stuck around than if he will stick around.

14 minutes ago, jknighton said:

Problem is...with 20 stops in 36 years, does anyone believe he will stick around?

Honestly I'm more concerned about why he hasn't stuck around than if he will stick around.

If he leaves after next year, we will find someone else. Everyone is replaceable....He has been successful or he wouldn't continue to be hired.

2 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

If he leaves after next year, we will find someone else. Everyone is replaceable....He has been successful or he wouldn't continue to be hired.

I get it. I've seen the resume. He hasn't had any "ghost" years that he's been out of work. Furthermore all that matters is if he can develop what we've got and recruit where needed, but I'm still curious why his resume is 90% 1 year stops here and there. No negativity insinuated...just genuine curiosity.

1 hour ago, mdp5150 said:

Maybe he just found out that Saban is a bigger asshat than he thought.

3 minutes ago, jknighton said:

I get it. I've seen the resume. He hasn't had any "ghost" years that he's been out of work. Furthermore all that matters is if he can develop what we've got and recruit where needed, but I'm still curious why his resume is 90% 1 year stops here and there. No negativity insinuated...just genuine curiosity.

A legitimate concern...at this point Gus has to know that he needs to have a good season next year.  If this is the guy that Gus thinks will help make that happen, then I'm good with the hire.  Nothing is guaranteed. 

2 hours ago, mdp5150 said:

Maybe he wasn't willing to play ball the "Saban" way or should I say the REC way... you know chargers and all that!  He may be one of the old school coaches that's still believes integrity over wins.  Who knows but I'll give him a chance to see what he can do at Auburn before being negative.

Archived