New DB Coach discussion (Merged)

Metalsinger418

Just now, abw0004 said:

Then why in the world are you railing on the guy saying he can't recruit and will be a horrible recruiter when you just admitted you, yourself, know nothing on his past recruiting history?

can I not post my initial thoughts on a guy without doing any research?  Knee jerk reactions not a thing anymore? Here is his recruiting profile. Obviously does not include his year at mizzou. http://247sports.com/Coach/Greg-Brown-159

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Mike Mcneil had a standout performance in 2011 when he was committing a robbery.  Actually he did so well he was recognized for his performance and won an award of a 3 year jail sentence.  Recruited by TT I believe. 

Trooper was not on staff when he was being recruited. He was a tubs guy. What are you talking about?

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Trooper was not on staff when he was being recruited. He was a tubs guy. What are you talking about?

Ah you are correct.  Was a freshmen in 2008.  Still played 2 years under Trooper.  More than enough time with the guy.  

We have great recruiters Twill, CRG, and CKS. Steele was always known as a great recruiter before being DC.  We need someone first and foremost to coach the aggressive style of pass defense like at Alabama and apparently Missouri with all the interceptions.  One of our biggest problems on defense was creating turnovers.  Great hire IMO.  That being said I do hope Brown has time to develop a relationship with Hunter.

Just now, abw0004 said:

Ah you are correct.  Was a freshmen in 2008.  Still played 2 years under Trooper.  More than enough time with the guy.  

what are you implying? That trooper is a bad influence on kids?

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Trooper was not a bad influence on any of the kids at AU. This is a fact. 0004 has proven time and time again that he does not have a clue. 

2 minutes ago, autan said:

We have great recruiters Twill, CRG, and CKS. Steele was always known as a great recruiter before being DC.  We need someone first and foremost to coach the aggressive style of pass defense like at Alabama and apparently Missouri with all the interceptions.  One of our biggest problems on defense was creating turnovers.  Great hire IMO.  That being said I do hope Brown has time to develop a relationship with Hunter.

I have heard for a long time Steele is known as a great recruiter what top level guys has he helped on since he has been here?

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Trooper was not a bad influence on any of the kids at AU. This is a fact. 0004 has proven time and time again that he does not have a clue. 

I trust as do others what you say. What do you honestly think of this hire? Can he hang with the big boys in recruiting in the sec?

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

I trust as do others what you say. What do you honestly think of this hire? Can he hang with the big boys in recruiting in the sec?

No clue what to think about this hire. Only thing I remember about the new coach is he was run off at uat. 

McGriff was recruiting DBs, Twill LBs and Garner chasing DLs.  In his role CKS was helping all of them seal the deal.  Steele came on very late last year with new staff (other than CRG) and I think they did a pretty good job except at LB which has been rectified this year.

17 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

No I don't think he was the best influence.  While McNeil was not recruited by Trooper, the other three arrested were (2010 recruiting class).  And I liked Trooper when he was there.  It's not like I have always disliked him.  I just would not hire him back.  There was some issues that came to the surface once he left.

Maybe Brown was run off at UAT because he wasn't as handsome as Saban, Kiffen, Smart, etc. Looked too much like a goober.  Lets give this guy a chance before we throw him under the bus.

Just now, autan said:

Maybe Brown was run off at UAT because he wasn't as handsome as Saban, Kiffen, Smart, etc. Looked too much like a goober.  Lets give this guy a chance before we throw him under the bus.

WO WO WO kirby smart?! bowl cut? Def in the goober category! Makes it even more of a mystery how that no swag GOOBER recruits so well.

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

No I don't think he was the best influence.  While McNeil was not recruited by Trooper, the other three arrested were (2010 recruiting class).  And I liked Trooper when he was there.  It's not like I have always disliked him.  I just would not hire him back.  There was some issues that came to the surface once he left.

Those arrest are on the head coach. The bad bad bad WR coach wanted more accountability with the players actions but the HC would not do it. 

4 minutes ago, autan said:

Can we use another phrase beside bus? 

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Can we use another phrase beside bus? 

We could say bandwagon, but Alabama copyrighted that word since that's what their fans jump on when they win, but jump off when they lose.

Love this kid! easily my favorite prospect in this class.

After looking at his profile photo I see what you mean. The dude is an all-black silhouette! If he's only two-dimensional as it appears in the photo we are really in trouble! 

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

I stand by it. He looks to me to be a really good on the field coach but MY criteria was a great recruiter first and foremost. This is MEH to me.

Stand by it if you like but there is no basis for your "opinion"....and you should thank Bird for not writing what he was actually thinking about the post. 

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Stand by it if you like but there is no basis for your "opinion"....and you should thank Bird for not writing what he was actually thinking about the post. 

lol what I said wasn't that bad was it? Come on. Pretty mild to me. No need for any uproar over it. Disagreements bring great conversations.

21 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol what I said wasn't that bad was it? Come on. Pretty mild to me. No need for any uproar over it. Disagreements bring great conversations.

I think it was your reasoning behind your statements.  As in you don't like him because how he looks and you guessing he can't recruit.  I think all we are saying is to do research before you bash a coach.  Just enough to know the highs/lows of his career, that's all. 

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I think it was your reasoning behind your statements.  As in you don't like him because how he looks and you guessing he can't recruit.  I think all we are saying is to do research before you bash a coach.  Just enough to know the highs/lows of his career, that's all. 

well I posted his recruiting profile so what do you think honestly of him as a recruiter?

22 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

well I posted his recruiting profile so what do you think honestly of him as a recruiter?

Well, he was able to land Gerod Holliman, who was the nation's 4th best safety in his class and transformed him into and all-American and Jim Thorpe award winner.  I think that while he may not get every 5-star player out there (at least in the beginning), he has the ability to transform a 3 or 4 star player into an elite defensive back that would be taken in the draft.  Over time, kids will see this ability and really want to play for him since the players know they are in good hands with him.  He has 37 years of coaching experience as well.

It is kind of like Travis Williams.  He has shown this year he has the ability to take kids and make them elite players.  So in this 2017 recruiting cycle, we are seeing the impressions he is making on kids and getting really good 4-star players that are making good cases to be 5-stars in their senior seasons.

if Kevin Steele signs off on him, I am good to go.  

Archived