New DB Coach discussion (Merged)

Metalsinger418

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

So what's the news on 24/7...

Article says what were hearing on offensive coaches and New DB coach?...Or something like that.

It's VIP so can't be posted here. A former player from the Bowden days is interested in the job but no word if AU is interested in him. He has bounced around a lot, especially the past 5 years, and none of them really look to be quality stops. Wasn't really worth putting in a "What We Are Hearing" column IMO.

I hope we never ever hire James Willis again. Do y'all remember when Saban offered James to be UAT's LB coach? He took the offer and left Auburn after only being on AU's staff a short while.

I kinda thought Gus would have hired a new DB coach by now. He said he wasn't going to hire anyone until Sugar bowl was over.

24 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I hope we never ever hire James Willis again. Do y'all remember when Saban offered James to be UAT's LB coach? He took the offer and left Auburn after only being on AU's staff a short while.

Really? 

1 minute ago, 2010primetime said:

ED REED IS AVAILABLE. DON'T KNOW HOW GOOD OF A RECRUITER HE IS. IMO WORTH A LOOK. WDE CHAMPIONSHIP RUN 2017!

Ummmmm... I think your keyboard is broken.

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

I kinda thought Gus would have hired a new DB coach by now. He said he wasn't going to hire anyone until Sugar bowl was over.

Me too.  Actually, I figured it would be announced during or just before the game in order to capitalize on the national attention.

Maybe we're waiting until after the championship game to announce the hiring of Derrick Ansley.

WDE!

34 minutes ago, 2010primetime said:

ED REED IS AVAILABLE. DON'T KNOW HOW GOOD OF A RECRUITER HE IS. IMO WORTH A LOOK. WDE CHAMPIONSHIP RUN 2017!

I LOVE THE IDEA OF HAVING A HIGH PROFILE FUTURE NFL HALL OF FAME CORNERBACK COME BE OUR COACH. WHO CARES THAT HE DOESN'T HAVE ANY COACHING EXPERIENCE EXCEPT FOR MAYBE COACHING HIS KID'S PEEWEE FOOTBALL TEAM.

20 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

I LOVE THE IDEA OF HAVING A HIGH PROFILE FUTURE NFL HALL OF FAME CORNERBACK COME BE OUR COACH. WHO CARES THAT HE DOESN'T HAVE ANY COACHING EXPERIENCE EXCEPT FOR MAYBE COACHING HIS KID'S PEEWEE FOOTBALL TEAM.

WHY ARE WE YELLING!!! ARE WE THAT EXCITED THAT HE MAY COME!!!!

59 minutes ago, 2010primetime said:

23 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Did I miss the memo?

1 hour ago, thaitopher said:

Free Safety; one year of NFL coaching experience.

WDE!

I'm guessing it's or really hard to find a good coach to come in knowing there's a 75 percent or higher chance he won't have a job after next season. Our offense is a joke ran by a clown and our defense has been exposed and is losing a good portion of the guys that made it good to begin with. No way in hades Id lay my future at the feet of Gus.  I'd bet most coaches feel the same way. 

15 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

I'm guessing it's or really hard to find a good coach to come in knowing there's a 75 percent or higher chance he won't have a job after next season. Our offense is a joke ran by a clown and our defense has been exposed and is losing a good portion of the guys that made it good to begin with. No way in hades Id lay my future at the feet of Gus.  I'd bet most coaches feel the same way. 

Wow... would you like an umbrella to go with that dark cloud?

Auburn is in the best place to compete that is has been since 2010. We finally have talent at every position and the depth we need to not fear injuries. I doubt any coach is afraid to come to Auburn for fear of being one and done.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Auburn is in the best place to compete that is has been since 2010. We finally have talent at every position and the depth we need to not fear injuries. I doubt any coach is afraid to come to Auburn for fear of being one and done.

While I am inclined to agree with your assessment, I suspect that there are some out there that may not see what you see.

13 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

This is pretty funny.

Will use it later.

23 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

While I am inclined to agree with your assessment, I suspect that there are some out there that may not see what you see.

Yea... I know... I can name most of them.

"We finally have talent at every position and the depth we need to not fear injuries." Are you joking? We have talent but not at every position. We better fear injuries -- just look at this years. We didn't have a better QB when Sean went down twice. And when Kam Pettway missed some games, Kerryon tried to carry this team cause we didn't have anyone who was a strong #2 RB. He tried to carry this on his back but he couldn't.

11 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Yea... I know... I can name most of them.

My fear is that some might be otherwise qualified coaching candidates.

5 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

My fear is that some might be otherwise qualified coaching candidates.

I doubt that is the case.  They see money, SEC, loads of talent, etc. They also know that if they excel at their job, they could be kept on even if there is a change.  Example: Dameyune Craig 

I think the real story is that @bigbird is holding out for more money.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

I agree with this post.  Gus has recruited plenty of talent.  He just has problems coaching said talent.  A good HC would love to coach this team. After three years a good head coach would have the team going in the right direction.  However; while Gus is simply not a good HC (Gus caught lightning in a bottle in 2013 just like Chizik caught lightning in a bottle in 2010 and has been average since); our biggest problem is not Gus, it is the AD.  Our AD lacks the ability to go after and ultimately hire that good HC that would love to coach our football team.  

wde

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

"We finally have talent at every position and the depth we need to not fear injuries." Are you joking? We have talent but not at every position. We better fear injuries -- just look at this years. We didn't have a better QB when Sean went down twice. And when Kam Pettway missed some games, Kerryon tried to carry this team cause we didn't have anyone who was a strong #2 RB. He tried to carry this on his back but he couldn't.

This year we have Stidham, Sean and maybe Woody at QB.   At RB we KP. KJ. Malik Miller and a couple of freshman coming in. Lionheartkc is right we are better off on depth this coming year then the year that just ended.

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Nope... dead serious...

QB: Stidham, White, Barrett, Potentially Queen and Willis.  Should only need Stidham and maybe White
RB: Pettway, Johnson (uninjured, which is why he couldn't carry the team at the end of the season), Miller, Barrett, and potentially Matthews
WR: The whole stable of sophomore WR phenoms
TE: Cannella and Harris
OL: 3 solid returners and several ready to step up, plus maybe Ashley out of the blocks
LB: Finally a full stable of talent
DL: The next round of rock stars lead buy Davidson, Brown, and Cowart.
DB: Three returning leaders and several guys who stepped up this year and are ready to improve next year
K:Carlson X2

We're loaded.

Archived