Calling 2 Timeouts To Score the Last TD

DC4AU04

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, DC4AU04 said:

To me it seemed more bush league and desperate than a moment to build from.  The D was just trying to get the game done for most of the 2nd half.  I couldn't make myself listen to the post game to see if he addressed..

Bush league because you're losing but you want your players to never quit? I think the players would be ticked if the coach told them to just run the clock out. I know i would. You compete till the end.

Bush league is when you are so far ahead and you show no respect or mercy. Not when you are behind...

The score and the outcome or Gus making it closer...to use that is just coming up with more reasons not to pull for GM.

Yes GM better have better QB play along with playcalling next year, now that he has a true quality QB to work with...

If he doesn't win more and key games with JS, then he should be gone...But tonight..i appreciate him telling the players to make plays till the LAST SECOND...

10 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

I can see throwing it to score but the two timeouts were  pathetic in my opinion..just embarrassed us even more

I wouldn't say that.  They were fighting until the very end, which made me really proud in that moment.  Our team never gave up this year, and during that moment there were seniors on the field that wanted one more touchdown so why not give it to them?  They will never get another chance to score a touchdown for Auburn, so there is no shame in it.  Just my opinion of course.

11 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

If another team did that to us we'd be both pissed at them and laugh about it at the same time. I thought it was a tad pathetic but to each his own I guess. 

Agree! This board would be furious if that was done to us. 1 Time out...ok he gets a pass but 2??!! Now he's so concerned with scoring in the last few seconds? It made the game more embarrassing than it already was IMO. 

He should have been using better time management before then. The 3rd string QB was moving the team and had finally completed a long pass  so yes he should have tried to score. Come on people you can never put players on a field and hog tie them to keep them from scoring.

That was the only thing I thought Gus did right. We needed to score that last touchdown. But why didn't we get the chance to kick the PAT? I never heard a reason why the refs didn't let us.

5 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

That was the only thing I thought Gus did right. We needed to score that last touchdown. But why didn't we get the chance to kick the PAT? I never heard a reason why the refs didn't let us.

There was no possible way to tie or win the game with the conversion attempt. Therefore the game is over with 0 time on the clock. 

What I find amusing (actually head scratching) is using that particular play in a game where the outcome was already decided. Why not use it against A&M or Clemson where it might have made a difference. Or against LSU for that matter. I immediately thought of the fake fg he called against Monroe. Like Auburn really needed to run a fake fg against Monroe. And never used it again.

I think it was bush league to boo a team that is getting trounced. Okie fans didn't seem to mind a bush league play a couple of minutes earlier when Sooners passed on third and long up 35-13.  Say what you want about Gus but he would not have done that even with backups in the game.  Sooners made it of course but we still stopped them for one last chance.  Stoops most definitely did not want us to score again.  He probably didn't think 35-20 looked dominating enough.  And that would have been the final score if there were a few seconds left when we got the TD.

I was fine with it. I'm thinking some people on here would have been critical if he had just let the clock run out being inside the ten yardline. I'm pretty sure I would have questioned not trying to score myself. Gus is in a place right now where he seems to only do wrong in the eyes of some fans. He's brought most of it on himself. It's hard to have any confidence in the decisions and game planning right now. 

I was fine with it. Last game for a lot of those guys and making the score look a little more respectable is always a plus. I just don't know why they didn't try more early on, especially when it was clear Sean wasn't coming back. Oklahoma had no problems calling trick plays and doing a lot of misdirection to make things happen. But we played conservative for the most part and made Oklahoma's defense look like a top 10 defense when it really wasn't.

Of course he did the correct thing. To think otherwise is silly. Had we been ahead and been calling time outs it would have been different but we were not ahead. No coach in the world would have let the cock run out without trying to score in that situation.

Sometimes I think there are fans among us that use a magnifying glass while trying to find things to criticize. Then they still don't see their own folly.

On 1/3/2017 at 0:16 AM, NoALtiger said:

If another team did that to us we'd be both pissed at them and laugh about it at the same time. I thought it was a tad pathetic but to each his own I guess. 

This guy is one of the best posters on here

5 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Who nationally is making fun of us or is it SEC fans who I could care less about.

Just banter from everybody. It's ammo. I certainly would have at least 5 awesome jokes on that if it was a team besides us doing it

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Just banter from everybody. It's ammo. I certainly would have at least 5 awesome jokes on that if it was a team besides us doing it

Let's hear them!

Archived