Projected 2017 Starting Lineup

thaitopher

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Huh. Had no idea. I hope that Blue Bird Bakeries and their Red Velvet Bingles can stay indie forever...

Don't you dare apologize.

I suspect you aren't alone, as everybody here obviously knows about them. I'm just not a coconut guy- except for Girl Scout Samoas- and the red ones are so much different than the other products belonging to the Zinger genus. 

That all said, I think we'll see Ho-Hos and Ding Dongs starting at the tackle positions. 

and back to topic,

Many Thanks

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Wrong. I was responding to this:

You made a blanket statement he had "no business being out there" in reference to the past season. This struck me as a harsh indictment of a kid who impressed the coach and his QB and earned a little playing time. There are reasons a guy with less talent saw the field over more gifted freshmen (and Jason Smith), apparently including injury. I strongly suspect those reasons will diminish with time and Hastings will see the field much less.

Frankly, I wondered why a guy like Kyle Davis wasn't a more frequent target than Marcus or Stevens. Maybe there's reasons not obvious to me from my couch, but as a fan it frustrated me every time they made a drop.

I think Hastings is great story who has exceeded all expectations, but if he plays more than a healthy NCM next season there's a problem. But regardless, he earned a little time this year and has my respect.

When you quote a whole post, it is kind of hard to disseminate what section you are responding to without some sort of highlighting E.G. me highlighting you saying he blocks.  As I stated before, the kid has some spunk. I am sure he has practiced hard, but I have to really question him playing more than someone like an NCM.  I think Tucker Tuberville practices hard too. I am sure he is pretty consistent in practice, but I am going to question if he is higher and receiving more PT than WB on our depth chart. I can't speak to these other "freshman", as you haven't stated any, However, I can definitely speak about Jason Smith. Check my post history I never ever considered JS to be a good WR.  I always thought he was a great athlete trying to find his way. I definitely think he is the fastest WR on the team, but this does not equate to productivity at the WR position. If you want to say, he is more deserving of PT than Jason Smith, have at it, but it is going to take a lot more convincing that Hastings is a better WR than NCM.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

When you quote a whole post, it is kind of hard to disseminate what section you are responding to without some sort of highlighting E.G. me highlighting you saying he blocks.  As I stated before, the kid has some spunk. I am sure he has practiced hard, but I have to really question him playing more than someone like an NCM.  I think Tucker Tuberville practices hard too. I am sure he is pretty consistent in practice, but I am going to question if he is higher and receiving more PT than WB on our depth chart. I can't speak to these other "freshman receivers", as you haven't stated any, However, I can definitely speak about Jason Smith. Check my post history I never ever considered JS to be a good WR.  I always thought he was a great athlete trying to find his way. I definitely think he is the fastest WR on the team, but this does not equate to productivity at the WR position. If you want to say, he is more deserving of PT than Jason Smith, have at it, but it is going to take a lot more convincing that Hastings is a better WR than NCM.

Which I never said. Coaches decide who their best option is at the moment. I was just saying he saw the field because the coach, and apparently, the QB had confidence in his skill set. I've never heard anyone say he's the answer at that position. Our FR Receivers have the capacity to be game breakers. Hastings strikes me as a decent possession receiver.

3 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Which I never said. Coaches decide who their best option is at the moment. I was just saying he saw the field because the coach, and apparently, the QB had confidence in his skill set. I've never heard anyone say he's the answer at that position. Our FR Receivers have the capacity to be game breakers. Hastings strikes me as a decent possession receiver.

Based on your statement it looked like a clear assumption as to why he was receiving more PT than NCM. There is a reason why E responded to your post in the manner that he did. You don't have to agree with it, but it was read that way. 

15 minutes ago, DAG said:

Based on your statement it looked like a clear assumption as to why he was receiving more PT than NCM. There is a reason why E responded to your post in the manner that he did. You don't have to agree with it, but it was read that way. 

Last year I'd get frustrated with Gus when he was reticent to play Jovon over Peyton. But my frustration was with Gus. It wasn't because "Peyton had no business out there." I just thought Jovon was much more of a threat. My initial reaction was to how you framed the issue.

4 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Last year I'd get frustrated with Gus when he was reticent to play Jovon over Peyton. But my frustration was with Gus. It wasn't because "Peyton had no business out there." I just thought Jovon was much more of a threat. My initial reaction was to how you framed the issue.

Apples to Oranges comparison.  I stand by what I said in regards to NCM. IMO, a Will Hastings has no reason to be out there against high quality opponents unless uncontrollable circumstances arise. I don't care how much of a feel good story he has. He does not possess the skillset to make a difference against elite competition in my eyes.  Against the sunbelt and sister of the poor school, let him go crazy but not against the likes of LSU, Bama, Clemson, etc and he definitely shouldn't be taking anybody else's PT who can make up that difference. If he is as good as you are projected him to be, then maybe KB can talk CGM into getting him a scholarship.

Agree to disagree 

14 hours ago, cole256 said:

If Hastings start next year and somebody says something about route running, I'm slapping somebody

What a about dropped balls..........................sorry couldn't resist

25 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Wow!

I'll be damned (most probably).

Reference to cryptorchidism? I'm impressed.

I compare Hastings to a player like Clemson's Renfrow. He could be that type of player for us. We don't know. He has great hands and great footwork. The problem is that we didn't have a QB (or at least the play calling) that could utilize such a player unless we did a lot more roll outs with White. Pair up Stidham with Hastings and that could be a dangerous option, especially with players like Kyle Davis and NCM stretching the field on the outside and our incoming TE (forgot his name) to attack the seam.

16 minutes ago, Linayus said:

I compare Hastings to a player like Clemson's Renfrow. He could be that type of player for us. We don't know. He has great hands and great footwork. The problem is that we didn't have a QB (or at least the play calling) that could utilize such a player unless we did a lot more roll outs with White. Pair up Stidham with Hastings and that could be a dangerous option, especially with players like Kyle Davis and NCM stretching the field on the outside and our incoming TE (forgot his name) to attack the seam.

He had issues blocking. WRs for Gus have to block.

29 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He had issues blocking. WRs for Gus have to block.

Gus should be more worried about the wr's being able to be good wr's first

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Gus should be more worried about the wr's being able to be good wr's first

If not might as well stock up with TEs and split them out. Gus' 3 new favorite formation. Trips open with 4 TE

6 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Well that's usually dependent on who is throwing the ball to the wr for us lol

Just now, bigbird said:

If not might as well stock up with TEs and split them out. Gus' 3 new favorite formation. Trips open with 4 TE

Exactly. I mean I understand wanting complete players, but let's not be stupid. You saw Clemson wr Williams last night and against us??? The last thing corners and the other coaches were saying is his foot work is too good lol. It was he's too fast, big, and jump too high. We can't stop him. Half of his plays the corners are in GREAT position. But it didn't matter. You'd be a fool to sit him out because he doesn't come out of his breaks crisp, or because he didn't block a guy as hard as he can. You're not screwing him by sitting him, you're screwing your team

Sure is funny that people can compare Renfrow to Hastings but yet I compared 5'11 Oliver Martin to 5'10 Hastings and everyone thought I was being racist.

19 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Exactly. I mean I understand wanting complete players, but let's not be stupid. You saw Clemson wr Williams last night and against us??? The last thing corners and the other coaches were saying is his foot work is too good lol. It was he's too fast, big, and jump too high. We can't stop him. Half of his plays the corners are in GREAT position. But it didn't matter. You'd be a fool to sit him out because he doesn't come out of his breaks crisp, or because he didn't block a guy as hard as he can. You're not screwing him by sitting him, you're screwing your team

Unfortunately, this concept is lost to some. Good post.

35 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Yea... the key is that you need to have someone who is basically unstoppable to justify playing them ahead of someone who is a more complete back. Hopefully a couple of our guys will end up being so good that a missed block or not so great routes don't matter. I don't know that anyone is there, yet.

I read, the other day, someone complaining about how when we run the sweep, it doesn't get much because they know it's coming.  If our receivers would hold their blocks, it wouldn't matter if they knew it was coming.

37 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Yea... the key is that you need to have someone who is basically unstoppable to justify playing them ahead of someone who is a more complete back. Hopefully a couple of our guys will end up being so good that a missed block or not so great routes don't matter. I don't know that anyone is there, yet.

I read, the other day, someone complaining about how when we run the sweep, it doesn't get much because they know it's coming.  If our receivers would hold their blocks, it wouldn't matter if they knew it was coming.

One thing I noticed last night compared to our O is that their receivers chopped the corner, saftey, and outside backers on their sweeps.  I haven't ever seen our receivers chop down defenders.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

That technique stuff is over rated in college to be honest. Technique is a tool really to help guys who aren't as talented athletically to still compete. 

Hastings is not good enough over anybody to justify him playing over Kyle Davis or any of those other guys, especially not in a situation like throwing a fade route in the red zone. That's just stupid. In college play your best players. As far as competing with each other they are all close enough to where you don't play a guy just because you saying he supposedly run better routes. 

As far as blocking I'm the one that said that and no if they know where you going....there's no threat of any misdirection because we literally every single time bring in particular back to run the same particular play....no more time than not it's not working. 

One play that comes to mind is when that linebacker knew the play bammer was running and yelled and told everybody it was a loss of yards. Of course blocking helps but you don't sit a wr down that's a better wr for a wr that's you say is a better blocker. That's like sitting a hb down because he's better wr or route runner......no first and foremost let's the best runner....run

18 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Actually, if our receivers were threats to catch a pass down the field, their blocking wouldn't be that big of a deal because the DB would have to respect their pass catching ability (assuming we have a QB that can get it to them) and run with them in coverage instead of coming up to stop a sweep.  And yeah, I know it matters if it's man or zone, etc. but the point still stands.

The reason Hasting saw the field was because Davis was not playing good ball, then got hurt.

He also was being thrown to because the young guys such as Davis and NCM simply made mistakes on the field, in their route running. Hastings although not physically gifted was sure handed and quick.

He's not a guy you build your offense around but use when you need first downs, and knows where the sticks are...and where he should be for the QB...

9 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

The reason Hasting saw the field was because Davis was not playing good ball, then got hurt.

He also was being thrown to because the young guys such as Davis and NCM simply made mistakes on the field, in their route running. Hastings although not physically gifted was sure handed and quick.

He's not a guy you build your offense around but use when you need first downs, and knows where the sticks are...and where he should be for the QB...

And early on, he was of great value in getting Sean in a groove, since they had played together before.

IMO Hastings' value would go up if we utilize the talented WRs around him more. Things will open up underneath for him quite a bit more.  He can be a good complimentary piece but not if he's taking the spot of those that he's supposed to be complimenting. If he's taking snaps away from those more talented guys then it's really just hurting our overall cause.

Archived