Greg Brown

auburn4ever

9 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Bobby Freeman you need to be old to remember.....Auburn has never had the high stars in the secondary. We usually find a star in the rough like Larry Willingham, David Langner even though I hated he's ass, Dave Beck, Buddy Mcclinton, Junior, Carlos on and on.

And this is why we need a position coach that can coach 'me up.  I would think that in recruiting, you have to have a personality to be a good recruiter (Twill, Trob, CDC, etc).  These guys are the ones that, no matter what position you are recruiting, are the ones that gets the recruit fired up to come to Auburn.  Then the position coach sells the recruit that he can coach them up to the next level.  Everybody does not have that kind of personality and it would be detrimental for the program it all the coaches did.  Let the guy coach.  JMO.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

And this is why we need a position coach that can coach 'me up.  I would think that in recruiting, you have to have a personality to be a good recruiter (Twill, Trob, CDC, etc).  These guys are the ones that, no matter what position you are recruiting, are the ones that gets the recruit fired up to come to Auburn.  Then the position coach sells the recruit that he can coach them up to the next level.  Everybody does not have that kind of personality and it would be detrimental for the program it all the coaches did.  Let the guy coach.  JMO.

T-Rob, Twill, among others can wear both hats. They are excellent coaches as well. CDC is underrated as coaches as well but I'm not going to focus on that just because I don't care to go down that road again. Mcgriff was a well rounded coach as well. He wasn't a liability on either front but he wasn't world class on either as well.

28 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

T-Rob, Twill, among others can wear both hats. They are excellent coaches as well. CDC is underrated as coaches as well but I'm not going to focus on that just because I don't care to go down that road again. Mcgriff was a well rounded coach as well. He wasn't a liability on either front but he wasn't world class on either as well.

It does take a well rounded staff to succeed and turnover is expected from time to time.  Auburn just has to make the right moves to enhance the program, we can only be spectators.

13 hours ago, DAG said:

Here are our 4 star secondary recruits going back since 2008 per rivals

Marlon Character

Jordan Colbert

Tim irvin

Carlton Davis

Derrick Moncrief

Nic Ruffin

Stephen Roberts

Kalvarez Bessent

Joshua Hosley

J. Rose

R. Therazie

Erique Florence

Jermaine Whitehead

Reggie Taylor

Taikwon Page

Now going back to 2008, How many of these guys were ALL-SEC? In fact how many ALL SEC guys did we have since this time frame?

Maybe all that they needed was Brown teaching them.

12 hours ago, bigbird said:

@DAG you forgot the, well they weren't recruited by Brown, I mean Ronald McDonald excuse

I think it's time for one of Bird's hamburgers to appear.

Just now, bigbird said:

?

Thanks Bird , I was getting hungry with all of the Ronald McDonald talk; I sure hope we hire a pretty Offensive Coordinator so we know he will be a good recruiter.

3 hours ago, imaolgatiger said:

Not with this poster! The ignore feature is your friend.  

Please continue to try ignore me. Your continued likes of approval to the posts of my dissenters have gone unnoticed though so I'm sure the ignore feature is not really worth the trouble.

9 minutes ago, AUMASTERS said:

Thanks Bird , I was getting hungry with all of the Ronald McDonald talk; I sure hope we hire a pretty Offensive Coordinator so we know he will be a good recruiter.

We are going to need a good recruiter...that's for sure..

49 minutes ago, AUMASTERS said:

Maybe all that they needed was Brown teaching them.

What, being a good recruiter isn't enough?

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

No- don't you remember Trooper Taylor's receivers?

8 minutes ago, AUMASTERS said:

No- don't you remember Trooper Taylor's receivers?

Previous receivers have vouched for Trooper as a coach.

32 minutes ago, DAG said:

Nobody has never made this assertion.

9 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Nobody has never made this assertion.

Well, seeing as people won't give our current DB coach the benefit of a doubt because he isn't hauling in 4 and 5 star recruits...Pretty easy to make that assertion. 

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well, seeing as people won't give our current DB coach the benefit of a doubt because he isn't hauling in 4 and 5 star recruits...Pretty easy to make that assertion. 

Nobody has ever said having a good recruiter was enough to develop all SEC players. And it's unlike you to twist my arguments But instilling discipline among other things must be achieved. Starts from the top. 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Nobody has ever said having a good recruiter was enough to develop all SEC players. And it's unlike you to twist my arguments But instilling discipline among other things must be achieved. Starts from the top. 

Jeff everything that I have said to you as been based on what you have said. Yesterday, your whole basis was can he recruit? That was the only thing on your mind, even after a couple of us had said, we willingly were supporting him on his coaching prowess, understanding that the AU tag would offset this. Even then, this wasn't good enough. 

I can't speak for anyone else, but I just want you to admit that you do not like this hire and won't like this hire until he proves to you that he can bring in big time recruits.

It is like the people who are in love with SW. I wish people would just come out and say, you know, I want SW to win the QB competition. I don't care if JS is here or not, because that is how they really feel.

I feel like some of you guys just do not like this hire. Well, just say that. If I say you know he hasn't had marvelous recruits but he is at AU? Then the response will be what makes you think he can bring in recruits when he hasn't done it before?

If I say AU has more resources? Then the response will be, "Doesn't it worry you that this is the first place he has been at with these type of resources?"

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

Jeff everything that I have said to you as been based on what you have said. Yesterday, your whole basis was can he recruit? That was the only thing on your mind, even after a couple of us had said, we willingly were supporting him on his coaching prowess, understanding that the AU tag would offset this. Even then, this wasn't good enough. 

I can't speak for anyone else, but I just want you to admit that you do not like this hire and won't like this hire until he proves to you that he can bring in big time recruits.

No, my whole basis has more than just recruiting. Look at my posts regarding T-Rob or T-Will... My whole basis is that it is laughable that anybody would say something like: "when we had highly regarded recruits in the past, our secondary sucked so I'm glad to have a coach that can develop players and his recruiting abilities be damned" like we should sacrifice development over recruiting or vice versa. 

And what makes you think the Auburn tag will offset his recruiting deficiencies? Our recruiting is sucking already. 

Its pretty obvious that I don't like the hire. Not sure why I'm supposed to. Cannot embrace a "one and done" journeyman. Nobody will even tell me why elite football schools haven't been beating down his door for his services if he was that great of a hire. Can you?

Ok, we've addressed the T-Rob deal. And you and I have both agreed that, although it would be nice to have a good recruiter and good coach,  they don't grow on trees. I would love to have T-Rob or Corey Raymond, but that is just a hard sale. It is hard to poach these type of coaches. Whose to say the staff did not try to do that? So then you have to look at what is a priority for you as a coach. I think the priority for Gus was a guy who has a proven record of coaching up players. I think we have a seen that, despite the talent level we've brought in, the results have been underwhelming considering the expectations back there. I cannot speak to his journeyman approach, I cannot speak to why he only had 1 school of elite status on his resume. Nor do I take these valid concerns, lightly. I am not even saying this is a homerun hire. However, all things considered, I do believe this just might be what we need at AU. A proven guy who does has proof on his resume of coaching up DBs.

I can't agree that our recruiting sucks. We have a top 15 recruiting class and it is not yet finished. I don't know what type of recruiting you are expecting out of our secondary, but AU is not known as DBU. Typically, we can expect 1 maybe 2 4 star recruits from the secondary, safe for 2014 and 15. What I can say is, I want our guys to produce on the field. I don't care if they are a 2, 3, 4 or 5 star. History has shown that many of our top level secondary players have not lived up to their blue chip status.IMO, the best secondary AU ever had was on the 2004 squad and they were full of 3-star players. I am not saying this is a consistent recipe for success, but if Brown can get our secondary to be like those maniacs, then I am happy. 

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Ok, we've addressed the T-Rob deal. And you and I have both agreed that, although it would be nice to have a good recruiter and good coach,  they don't grow on trees. I would love to have T-Rob or Corey Raymond, but that is just a hard sale. It is hard to poach these type of coaches.

They're a lot more common than you think. We had four on our staff before Mcgriff left in Horton, Travis Williams, Garner, and Mcgriff. 

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

I can't agree that our recruiting sucks. We have a top 15 recruiting class and it is not yet finished. I don't know what type of recruiting you are expecting out of our secondary, but AU is not known as DBU.

Our top fifteen class is piss-poor compared to recent years while other SEC schools are devouring top talent. We are going to end up fourth or fifth in the SEC again and the talent gap between Bama and Georgia and LSU will continue to grow. Maybe we won't have to go over 16 3* commitments for the class...

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

What I can say is, I want our guys to produce on the field. I don't care if they are a 2, 3, 4 or 5 star.

As do I. Hell, I wish we could win with all three stars. However, even though our three stars may get good coaching here, who is to say other elite football players on other teams aren't getting good coaching as well? That's where the problem resides. 

57 minutes ago, DAG said:
Ok, we've addressed the T-Rob deal. And you and I have both agreed that, although it would be nice to have a good recruiter and good coach,  they don't grow on trees. I would love to have T-Rob or Corey Raymond, but that is just a hard sale. It is hard to poach these type of coaches. Whose to say the staff did not try to do that? So then you have to look at what is a priority for you as a coach. I think the priority for Gus was a guy who has a proven record of coaching up players. I think we have a seen that, despite the talent level we've brought in, the results have been underwhelming considering the expectations back there. I cannot speak to his journeyman approach, I cannot speak to why he only had 1 school of elite status on his resume. Nor do I take these valid concerns, lightly. I am not even saying this is a homerun hire. However, all things considered, I do believe this just might be what we need at AU. A proven guy who does has proof on his resume of coaching up DBs.

I can't agree that our recruiting sucks. We have a top 15 recruiting class and it is not yet finished. I don't know what type of recruiting you are expecting out of our secondary, but AU is not known as DBU. Typically, we can expect 1 maybe 2 4 star recruits from the secondary, safe for 2014 and 15. What I can say is, I want our guys to produce on the field. I don't care if they are a 2, 3, 4 or 5 star. History has shown that many of our top level secondary players have not lived up to their blue chip status.IMO, the best secondary AU ever had was on the 2004 squad and they were full of 3-star players. I am not saying this is a consistent recipe for success, but if Brown can get our secondary to be like those maniacs, then I am happy.

Out of likes, but I like.

4 minutes ago, fredst said:

This thread, lol:

673.gif

BEATING-A-DEAD-HORSE-The-office-space-sc

Archived