Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

1 hour ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Pish.

Old farts can't possibly relate to today's recruits.

Unless those recruits like Dr Pepper.  And/or grandad bods in tubs.

About SOS and recruiting, I remember reading a story from way back about his recruitment of uat's Wesley Britt (I think it was WB).  Essentially, the author said Spurrier hated non-regional recruiting so much he had rather turn uat in for cheating than go back and forth to Cullman enough times to get Britt.  I think he even tried to blackmail uat and they called his bluff so he reported them to the NCAA.

WDE!

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

Unless those recruits like Dr Pepper.  And/or grandad bods in tubs.

About SOS and recruiting, I remember reading a story from way back about his recruitment of uat's Wesley Britt (I think it was WB).  Essentially, the author said Spurrier hated non-regional recruiting so much he had rather turn uat in for cheating than go back and forth to Cullman enough times to get Britt.  I think he even tried to blackmail uat and they called his bluff so he reported them to the NCAA.

WDE!

Even as an old fart myself, and even having seen the commercials, 

there's got to be an "eeeewwwwww" in there somewhere!

Podcast from Auburn Rivals (Jay Tate) tidbit:

Mark Helfrich is the probably the leader in Jay's opinion, Jeffrey Lee concurs.  Auburn may be wanting to talk to one or two others.  Spavital and Lindsey are in there.  Working in Helfrich's favor is that he's not in any way part of Gus's coaching tree.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

I don't have insider status here.  I just know that Kiffin is a grade-A ass wart and it doesn't surprise me at all that Saban got sick of him.  I'm shocked it lasted this long.  Cristobal has no such reputation and he's an outstanding OL coach and recruiter.  No reason why he would have been forced out.

Saban would never admit it of course but he fired Kiffin at the wrong time.....and in the championship game, the play calling was incomprehensible.....those long hail Mary passes and what was it....6 times going 3 and out....... and nothing in the bag behind Bo..  Maybe time for a complete turnover on their O staff...just wondering? 

Just now, AU64 said:

Saban would never admit it of course but he fired Kiffin at the wrong time.....and in the championship game, the play calling was incomprehensible.....those long hail Mary passes and what was it....6 times going 3 and out....... and nothing in the bag behind Bo..  Maybe time for a complete turnover on their O staff...just wondering? 

The playcalling was still better than it was vs Washington.  But the bottom line is, Hurts is a liability right now throwing the ball against good defenses.  He doesn't make his reads quickly enough and it's consistent with the accuracy.

7 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

The playcalling was still better than it was vs Washington.  But the bottom line is, Hurts is a liability right now throwing the ball against good defenses.  He doesn't make his reads quickly enough and it's consistent with the accuracy.

But couldn't you something like that for us this year too? Bad QB play dooms anyone. Bama just has enough stacked talent to compensate ("best defense of all time" LUL). I'm surpised we had any success once Rhett "took over."

Makes me wonder if their QB situation is as bad as ours pre-Stidham...one decent starter with a couple of red flags and backups with red flags more imposing than the Soviets.

Just now, jtm0003 said:

But couldn't you say that for us this year too? Bad QB play dooms anyone. Bama just has enough stacked talent to compensate ("best defense of all time" LUL).

Makes me wonder if their QB situation is as bad as ours pre-Stidham...one decent starter with a couple of red flags and backups with red flags more imposing than the Soviets.

Of course.  But we were talking about the decision to fire Kiffin and go with Sark.  Both of them were limited by what Hurts can do.  

And I've long held that Alabama has misevaluated a lot of QBs the last several years but has been luckier than us in the injury department with their starter.

11 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Maybe....but Hurts was exposed in both games and it was not just play calling.    JMO but bama gonna need to make serious improvements in their passing game next year.

1 hour ago, 1974AUgrad said:

Before we get a rumor that Helfrich is in Auburn, aren't we supposed to first get a rumor that his wife was seen with a realtor looking at houses? Or does that rule only apply to head coaches?

And as some here have said we need a pic of his wife to see how good of a recruiter he is.

Just now, AU64 said:

Maybe....but Hurts was exposed in both games and it was not just play calling.    JMO but bama gonna need to make serious improvements in their passing game next year.

I agree.  In fact, a very level-headed bama buddy of mine said that he thinks Hurts might get beat out by the incoming freshman Tua.  Said Tua is already more developed as a passer than Hurts is after 15 college games under his belt.  We'll see.

46 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Mark Helfrich is the probably the leader in Jay's opinion, Jeffrey Lee concurs.  Auburn may be wanting to talk to one or two others.  Spavital and Lindsey are in there.  Working in Helfrich's favor is that he's not in any way part of Gus's coaching tree.

@Auburn2Eugene well looks like our QB recruiting would still be suffering. This does not exactly fix that AND he has not called plays since he was at colorado.

2 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

I'm so glad everyone here was part of the coaching staff at Oregon and know who was in charge of what. Ridiculous

chip called the plays then scott frost. It is pretty widely known by now. I have no clue what we are getting in helf if he is the guy.

54 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

And this is one of the most ridiculous. So Tate reports (or he thinks, not clear which) the potential OC having zero connections to the offensively talented HEAD coach is a plus worth mentioning? 

12 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

@Auburn2Eugene well looks like our QB recruiting would still be suffering. This does not exactly fix that AND he has not called plays since he was at colorado.

Possibly, but that not an etched in stone fact.  

Some notes from around the interwebs on Helfrich as an OC:

Yes Kelly is the play caller, but Helfrich's role in the offensive game plan has always been undervalued. Just ask former Duck quarterback Nate Costa:

"This is (Kelly's) system, people know this, so they automatically think Helfrich has little input on what happens on Saturdays. This is simply not true, Helfrich doesn't get half the credit he deserves. He is one of the smartest people in the college football world and has a great football mind. He has a large amount of involvement in the game planning, scripting and coaching on a weekly basis.

"He may not call all the plays on game day, but he has a high amount of input in what plays are called and why they are called."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1490123-oregon-football-why-mark-helfrich-is-the-best-replacement-for-chip-kelly/page/3

As quarterbacks coach, Helfrich was instrumental in the development of the quarterbacks that played under his tutelage at Oregon. In 2009, Jeremiah Masoli's leadership improved as he led Oregon to the 2010 Rose Bowl. The following season sophomore Darron Thomas guided an undefeated Oregon team to the 2011 BCS National Championship Game. Thomas finished his career 23-3 as a starter with a school-record 66 touchdown passes[19] and led the Ducks to a 45–38 victory over #10 Wisconsin in the 2012 Rose Bowl. The 2012 season showcased Marcus Mariota as the first freshman to start a season opener for the Ducks in 22 seasons.[20] He led the Ducks to a 12–1 record while being named All-Pac-12 Conference First Team,[21] Pac-12 Freshman Offensive Player of the Year,[21] and winning the 2013 Fiesta Bowl Offensive MVP Award as he guided the Ducks to a 35-17 victory over #5 Kansas State.[22]

Helfrich was recognized for his impact on the Ducks' offensive success as he was named by FootballScoop as its National Quarterbacks Coach of the Year in 2010[23] and 2012,[24] in addition to being one of three finalists as its national offensive coordinator of the year honor.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Helfrich_(American_football)

1 minute ago, aucanucktiger said:

And this is one of the most ridiculous. So Tate reports (or he thinks, not clear which) the potential OC having zero connections to the offensively talented HEAD coach is a plus worth mentioning? 

Why is that ridiculous?  One of the concerns that people have would be that Gus would replace Rhett with another Rhett, either in a personal sense or a professional one (the worst example of which would probably be to hire Eliah Drinkwitz).  Part of the impetus for this change is to bring in fresh ideas and a new perspective.  So yeah, not being in the Gus coaching tree is probably something seen as a plus.

9 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Why is that ridiculous?  One of the concerns that people have would be that Gus would replace Rhett with another Rhett, either in a personal sense or a professional one (the worst example of which would probably be to hire Eliah Drinkwitz).  Part of the impetus for this change is to bring in fresh ideas and a new perspective.  So yeah, not being in the Gus coaching tree is probably something seen as a plus.

don't get me wrong I much rather have him than another rhett which chip lindsey or that ELI guy would be.

19 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Lindsey has how much experience? And you know Spavital called the plays at ATM and Cal? Or was it Sumlin and Dykes call the shots?

sumlin has never called the plays in his coaching career I do not believe so. Yes it was spav who called the plays at both stops. I do NOT want lindsey at all EW EW EW EW. NO! not another yes man rhett. I would take helf all day over chip.

Remember watching Oregon give up a 31 point lead to TCU in a bowl game all because their starting QB went down, one first down was achieved the rest of the game, and the defense started to crumble.

Being seasoned veterans of dealing with QB injuries, Jacobs and Malzahn need to know Helfrichs(sp) plan for quality QB depth if at Auburn.  

12 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Remember watching Oregon give up a 31 point lead to TCU in a bowl game all because their starting QB went down, one first down was achieved the rest of the game, and the defense started to crumble.

Being seasoned veterans of dealing with QB injuries, Jacobs and Malzahn need to know Helfrichs(sp) plan for quality QB depth if at Auburn.  

Yeah, i remember that game as well, they had also lost several o linemen to injury. There were a lot more factors involved in that game than just a QB injury.

This is what gets me with the issues some bring on here to give negatives to Helfrich. They give NOTHING to back it up..no source. And to say that at 2 colleges, one as OC/HC and another as OC...they heard that he didnt call plays? How can they think like that...

And others who support Helfrich, post comments and links from other players or coaches who  are quoted with solid facts on his ability to scheme, game plan, etc...

I just shake my head with the sound bytes that posters use...and not a total synopsis. But i guess that's why we are fans...and not coaches...))

Archived