Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Hellfrich

Hellfrick

Helfrick

Hellfritch...

...and the inevitable auto-corrections to Heifer.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, metafour said:

Without fail, the football geniuses on this forum think that you make coaching hires by loading up the trusty NCAA rankings and picking names off the Top 10-25 list in order.

True, but Gus's list is all the people who have played for him, worked for him or mowed his grass at some point.

53 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I don't have strong feelings either way on Lindsey.  But I don't think you can judge someone in this way without more information.  We know that his two years at Southern Miss he helped return their offense to the upper tier of college offenses after Ellis Johnson nearly decimated it.  And Arizona State was putting up tons of points early in the year.  I'm not familiar enough with their personnel to say why it fell off the latter half.  It looked like maybe there were some injuries at QB because in a quick perusal I noticed three different QBs taking snaps.  Were there other injuries?  Who did they lose on offense from the prior season that may have been key players?

Fill in some of those blanks and we can say whether he's a worthwhile candidate or not.

In the same game?  Could he get that up to five?  

This could be our new OC!!!

Whether its Lindsey, Spavital, or Helfrich it will be a more experienced outsider OC.

But why some on here know how good each is in regards to their ability to develop a QB or call plays or recruits..is no more of an insider knowledge as any of us knowing if the Russians have credible dirt on Trump..

Those that know that Helfrich never has called the plays as OC at Oregon, or even HC  AND that is a terrible reruiter just is crazy. Please tell me the inside info. How do we know his recruiting weakness.

Those that are not impressed with Lindsey JUST because of how the ASU offense did this year is crazy. Don't we look at someone's body of work?

Those that are not impressed with Spavital because the PAC 12 doesn't have any defenses is crazy. 

It just seems that all these guys have strengths and weaknesses. The key is what the coaches who REALLY know these guys think of them. Gus i am sure is making his calls to those who them...and he also knows he must bring someone in that is a fit for his offensive scheme, the players currently that will have to run them, and be able to recruit for sure. 

2 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

In the same game?  Could he get that up to five?  

This could be our new OC!!!

Hahaha.  The difference is, he did it out of necessity.  We did it by choice.

59 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I don't have strong feelings either way on Lindsey.  But I don't think you can judge someone in this way without more information.  We know that his two years at Southern Miss he helped return their offense to the upper tier of college offenses after Ellis Johnson nearly decimated it.  And Arizona State was putting up tons of points early in the year.  I'm not familiar enough with their personnel to say why it fell off the latter half.  It looked like maybe there were some injuries at QB because in a quick perusal I noticed three different QBs taking snaps.  Were there other injuries?  Who did they lose on offense from the prior season that may have been key players?

Fill in some of those blanks and we can say whether he's a worthwhile candidate or not.

My Comparison Wasn't about whether Lindsey deserved the job. It was about the poster saying MH didn't deserve a chance because his offense fail off. That is false. He had one outlier in offense. As for Lindsey, his stats were a compare analysis. My basis of Lindsey is not just on his offense, it is of the fact that he has had 1 year of power 5 experience. Other than that what can you point to in his resume that says , yeah he is the guy for the job?

I thought the goal was to find someone with experience and who we could trust can run an offense and hopefully groom QBs 

All of I've asked was for someone to tell me what makes Lindsey better than the others?

He knows Gus, he was good in conference USA and he dowes have AU ties. Is that really enough ?

6 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Whether its Lindsey, Spavital, or Helfrich it will be a more experienced outsider OC.

But why some on here know how good each is in regards to their ability to develop a QB or call plays or recruits..is no more of an insider knowledge as any of us knowing if the Russians have credible dirt on Trump..

Those that know that Helfrich never has called the plays as OC at Oregon, or even HC  AND that is a terrible reruiter just is crazy. Please tell me the inside info. How do we know his recruiting weakness.

Those that are not impressed with Lindsey JUST because of how the ASU offense did this year is crazy. Don't we look at someone's body of work?

Those that are not impressed with Spavital because the PAC 12 doesn't have any defenses is crazy. 

It just seems that all these guys have strengths and weaknesses. The key is what the coaches who REALLY know these guys think of them. Gus i am sure is making his calls to those who them...and he also knows he must bring someone in that is a fit for his offensive scheme, the players currently that will have to run them, and be able to recruit for sure. 

Instead of complaining about others people critique why don't you give us who you want and the pros of it. It is mighty easy to sit on the fence and point.

BTW if you like chip lindsey because he is a southern boy and an AU man. Just say it, but you can't compare his resume to Jake Spav  (who I am predicting to be the OC) or MH. It's not comparable .

1 hour ago, FoundationEagle said:

An up and comer would just be Rhett 2.0 and likely get the whole staff fired after this coming season. JMO

While I get your sentiment, that's not true at all. The reason Rhett was an issue wasn't that he was young or inexperienced coming in.  It was that he has been with Gus since high school, so Gus is all he knows, therefor he brings nothing to the table.  A young guy with fresh ideas might be just what we need to create the next great offense. We've already got the old guy who's set it his ways, after all.

Here's the reality of it.  Any of the 3 candidates currently thought to be in play would be a quality OC for AU.  They've already shown that they can do good things at various schools, and most importantly, they will bring new ideas into Auburn, which is what we need.  Any shortcomings that they have can be addressed by one of the most prolific offensive coordinators to ever coach college football, and they will just get better at their job.

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

All of I've asked was for someone to tell me what makes Lindsey better than the others?

He knows Gus, he was good in conference USA and he dowes have AU ties. Is that really enough ?

Again, I'm not a "hire Lindsey now!!!!" guy.  But I'd say that there are some pros to him other than what you mention above:

- Has produced prolific offenses when key personnel were healthy
- Has some Power 5 experience
- Successful coach at large HS program in Alabama as well as Georgia, so he's familiar with the recruiting area and probably has some relationships in both states
- Originally from this area so he "fits in" culturally
- Unlike a Helfrich for instance, he's less likely to jump to a HC job after one successful season
- Seems to have a good reputation as a playcaller

Here's a good article with some background:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ncaaf/asu/2015/12/18/from-alabama-to-the-desert-chip-lindseys-road-to-asu-football/77592934/

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Hahaha.  The difference is, he did it out of necessity.  We did it by choice.

Only at first.  

Experience is experience.  Motivation doesn't matter.  He can handle the chaos and confusion.  

I would hate to see a one QB mentality OC have to jump to the five QB theory of offensive strategizing.  Too big a stretch.

I personally don't give a **** if Helfericky fits in culturally. Saban doesnt fit in "culturally, either. Neither does Lane Kiffen. Winners are winners. Losers are loser. Winners find a way to make it work. If our good ole boy network would lay off of picking other good ole boys, and start picking coaches for their ideas and effort, we would be a lot better off. Bring on Marky Mark Helfire

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

I personally don't give a **** if Helfericky fits in culturally. Saban doesnt fit in "culturally, either. Neither does Lane Kiffen. Winners are winners. Losers are loser. Winners find a way to make it work. If our good ole boy network would lay off of picking other good ole boys, and start picking coaches for their ideas and effort, we would be a lot better off. Bring on Marky Mark Helfire

Well damn.  I wasn't putting the cultural thing up there as the end all-be all.  But having a good feel for an area and being able to fit can matter in recruiting.  If you have a hard time relating to the kids, their coaches and their parents, it's going to create some drag for you on the trail.  Being from a different region doesn't automatically mean you won't be able to relate, but it's always something you assess.

42 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I honestly wonder how much of this is going to be Gus' hire and maybe more of the here are the candidates we have given you type of situation

The hire of Greg Brown was from Steele.  Gus let Steele go out and get the guy he wanted.  I think Gus is starting to show he can be impartial in who he hires, as long as he gets the right guy to help his team succeed.  I would not be surprised if Hand and Horton interview the potential OC with Malzahn to see if they all mesh well together like he brought in Steele for Brown.  He hasn't hired any bad coaches yet so lets give him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

39 minutes ago, DAG said:

Instead of complaining about others people critique why don't you give us who you want and the pros of it. It is mighty easy to sit on the fence and point.

Complaining? Far from it. Just observing. 

I guess i AM on the fence because the names mentioned all have some good credentials, and if all we have to go by is stats without inside info from those that really work with these guys then who knows how good they are at recruiting and scheming (the too key components to our immediate needs).

It's like picking a president. Who knows how these candidates will do once they are in office. Some i have picked were lousy..some i picked did wonderful things. 

For this thread I'm just glad to see new blood..and hopefully jump start our offense so we can NOT have games where we couldn't get even a first down during the second half of a game, or had so many 3 and outs...it gave us little hope we could come back, when we were behind late in games.

6 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

The hire of Greg Brown was from Steele.  Gus let Steele go out and get the guy he wanted.  I think Gus is starting to show he can be impartial in who he hires, as long as he gets the right guy to help his team succeed.  I would not be surprised if Hand and Horton interview the potential OC with Malzahn to see if they all mesh well together like he brought in Steele for Brown.  He hasn't hired any bad coaches yet so lets give him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

oh oh! Isnt that what Tuberville did when he brought in Franklin? Or was it the opposite? :)

I prefer the Cal OC who put up a top 10 offense the year after losing his (first round) qb and 6 productive wrs. Give that Air Raid concept Gus's run and play action schemes and watch it become a monster in the SEC!

Just now, HarrisBoy334 said:

Give that Air Raid concept Gus's run and play action schemes and watch it become a monster in the SEC!

It doesn't work like that.

4 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

oh oh! Isnt that what Tuberville did when he brought in Franklin? Or was it the opposite? :)

I don't think the situations are analogous.  Franklin was a wholesale change in offensive style and philosophy.  None of the OCs we would hire would be like that.  The candidates we're looking at run variations of very similar systems.  It's not like we're tabbing Nussmeyer from Florida or Cam Cameron to come in and run a HUNH with spread and veer concepts.

12 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Tuberville tried to fit a square peg in a round hole and completely change offensive philosophies without the personnel and without allowing Franklin to bring in his own coaches to support him.  Chizik did the same thing with Loeffler...tried to bring  a pro style coach with a roster full of spread players.  Gus will target coaches with the same or similar philosophies as his.  

Archived