Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

4 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

This is what gets me with the issues some bring on here to give negatives to Helfrich. They give NOTHING to back it up..no source. And to say that at 2 colleges, one as OC/HC and another as OC...they heard that he didnt call plays? How can they think like that...

And others who support Helfrich, post comments and links from other players or coaches who  are quoted with solid facts on his ability to scheme, game plan, etc...

I just shake my head with the sound bytes that posters use...and not a total synopsis. But i guess that's why we are fans...and not coaches...))

It is widely known (wait for it) FACT that Chip called plays when he was oregons Head coach. A article was posted yesterday that up till last season before he left for UCF scott frost had called the plays for Helfs first 3 years as head coach. No one really knows who called the plays for oregon this past year. 

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

It is widely known (wait for it) FACT that Chip called plays when he was oregons Head coach. A article was posted yesterday that up till last season before he left for UCF scott frost had called the plays for Helfs first 3 years as head coach. No one really knows who called the plays for oregon this past year. 

So Helfrich has reach whatever level of success he has had by simply being a figurehead?

3 minutes ago, WDEAUDAD said:

So Helfrich has reach whatever level of success he has had by simply being a figurehead?

he was/is close to uncle phil up there. He has only coached on the left coast as well I believe also.

• TitanTiger changed the title to Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

What does everyone think about Sterlin Gilbert? seems to be the 3 most in play now is Helf, Spav and Sterlin.

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

What does everyone think about Sterlin Gilbert? seems to be the 3 most in play now is Helf, Spav and Sterlin.

Once decent season (2013) at East Illinois, followed by, literally, a different school each year, none with a good season.  I honestly don't even know why he would be considered. 

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Once decent season (2013) at East Illinois, followed by, literally, a different school each year, none with a good season.  I honestly don't even know why he would be considered. 

his offense ranked 16th in yards per game at texas last year. offense was not the problem at texas last season.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Gilbert wouldn't be my first or second choice, but he wouldn't be a bad choice.

exactly my thoughts as well. 

13 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Ok, I'll bite. Even though he was JUST named days ago to be Charlie Strong's OC at SF. So why would he be in the mix for us now?

Just now, steeleagle said:

Ok, I'll bite. Even though he was JUST named days ago to be Charlie Strong's OC at SF. So why would he be in the mix for us now?

art briles tree.

22 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Edited thread title to reflect where the discussion is currently.

Mabey the title should be "As Auburn Turns". It's almost like a soap opera. Lol

1 minute ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Mabey the title should be "As Auburn Turns". It's almost like a soap opera.

been like that every year I have been alive in my 28 years. No matter who the coach is and no matter who is in the athletic department.

Trying to find a guy with one good season probably playing someone else's recruits.....and looking to move along before he has to actually do any serious recruiting?   Hard to believe anyone would make any kind of hiring decision on such slim evidence. 

13 minutes ago, Cooper said:

This already smells of a PTB hire.  I believe Gus would have Briles in Auburn if it wasnt.

Yeah, I keep thinking that the original "Lashlee is out at the end of the year" rumors, months ago, were accompanied by the "Briles is in" rumors. Based on that, I was fully expecting one of the Briles to be our next OC. That door seems to have been closed, now. Worst case scenario is that the plan all along was to get Briles, and the plan got shot down at the last second by someone in compliance or a power broker, leaving us with no plan at all. You know that Gus has known about Rhett leaving for quite some time now.

54 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Yeah, i remember that game as well, they had also lost several o linemen to injury. There were a lot more factors involved in that game than just a QB injury.

Do believe the center went out as well. You could tell the TCU team got life once the QB went down though.

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Trying to find a guy with one good season probably playing someone else's recruits.....and looking to move along before he has to actually do any serious recruiting?   Hard to believe anyone would make any kind of hiring decision on such slim evidence. 

Total speculation here, but what if you bring in a guy like Helfrich who may get another head-coaching job after one season  while giving Kendall Briles another season away from dad to prove himself? Then you bring KB in. Also gives another year for all of the fallout from Baylor to be fully known. 

29 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

He was my number two behind Kendal

38 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think I would inadvertently and forever call him Sterling Ilbert.

WDE!

12 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Total speculation here, but what if you bring in a guy like Helfrich who may get another head-coaching job after one season  while giving Kendall Briles another season away from dad to prove himself? Then you bring KB in. Also gives another year for all of the fallout from Baylor to be fully known. 

I guess that is possible but if you read the piece on him at Oregon, seems he will not high on anyone's HC list for a while.   Was generally described as an intellectual and not a guy to exhibit much in the way of emotional leadership.   Certainly not good characteristics for a HC...as for being the OC....seems he was recognized by a lot of people and organizations for his accomplishments despite efforts by some people to make him seem like Kelly's puppet.  

Guess I'm still looking for some continuity and maybe a little maturity to guide Stidham and SW and Woody.....

16 minutes ago, AUinfusion said:

Yeah, I keep thinking that the original "Lashlee is out at the end of the year" rumors, months ago, were accompanied by the "Briles is in" rumors. Based on that, I was fully expecting one of the Briles to be our next OC. That door seems to have been closed, now. Worst case scenario is that the plan all along was to get Briles, and the plan got shot down at the last second by someone in compliance or a power broker, leaving us with no plan at all. You know that Gus has known about Rhett leaving for quite some time now.

Agreed,  Gus has not got Saban power on the plains.  He should hire the best guy no matter who it offends or who or how it looks.  If Auburn is looking for the perfect man, I hate it noboby is perfect and mistakes can be learned from.  

2 minutes ago, Cooper said:

Agreed,  Gus has not got Saban power on the plains.  He should hire the best guy no matter who it offends or who or how it looks.  If Auburn is looking for the perfect man, I hate it noboby is perfect and mistakes can be learned from.  

lets be real here for a second. Gus has not come close to earning saban level of control over a program.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

lets be real here for a second. Gus has not come close to earning saban level of control over a program.

Chicken/egg

Saban was given total control initially and success followed. He didn't have to earn it.

Just now, bigbird said:

Chicken/egg

Saban was given total control and success followed. He didn't have to earn it.

He was given it at bama because of what he did at LSU. Plus he demanded it when he was hired or he would not of gone to bama.

Archived