Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

24 minutes ago, AUinfusion said:

Yeah, I keep thinking that the original "Lashlee is out at the end of the year" rumors, months ago, were accompanied by the "Briles is in" rumors. Based on that, I was fully expecting one of the Briles to be our next OC. That door seems to have been closed, now. Worst case scenario is that the plan all along was to get Briles, and the plan got shot down at the last second by someone in compliance or a power broker, leaving us with no plan at all. You know that Gus has known about Rhett leaving for quite some time now.

We got a hardass running compliance at AU.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, keesler said:

We got a hardass running compliance at AU.

Mcglynn?

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

He was given it at bama because of what he did at LSU.

8-4

10-3

8-5

13-1

9-3

LSU didn't earn him anything.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Chicken/egg

Saban was given total control initially and success followed. He didn't have to earn it.

Because Saban had damn strong resume when he got there.  Gus had one year at Arky State and he is still trying to make his bones in the SEC after 4 yrs at AU.

You know it seems like Helfrich, is mirroring the problems such like Kiffen or even Terry Bowden had with us. He has good credentials, great scheming, play designing, and development of their offenses, but trouble with all that goes along with trying to be a HC. We have even seen it on the defensive side too (i.e. maybe Muschamp, Strong, etc...)

But for Helfrich to only have HC experience at one major college, seems strange to say he is not capable of being a quality HC in the future. 

He seems to be great with QB development looking at the QBs he worked with at Oregon, and very smart (like Kiffen) in his offensive approach and planning. 

So I think, no matter who is our OC, we agree that he works well with Stidham (who we all think is the one to lead us offensively), and can recruit QBs to AU and develop them like we need, and we see a well executed diverse passing attack.

Just now, bigbird said:

8-4

10-3

8-5

13-1

9-3

a national title earned him that. Come on bird. Why you acting this way BAE?

Just now, keesler said:

Because Saban had damn strong resume when he got there.  Gus had one year at Arky State and he is still trying to make his bones in the SEC after 4 yrs at AU.

91-42 before bama or about 68% or 8 wins /yr... That's not great.

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

8-4

10-3

8-5

13-1

9-3

He had a national title and a couple of SEC titles at LSU, a history of great recruiting under his belt, and proof that he knew how to build a damn program.  UAT knew what they were getting when they offered him an astronomical salary and total control of their program.

Gus had one year HC experience at Arky ST, and a few years coaching under the likes of Houston Nutt and Gene Chizik. 

This is an exercise in futility, as the Auburn Administration will NEVER give total control to a head football coach.

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

91-42 before bama or about 68% or 8 wins /yr... That's not great.

If AU hired someone who was 91-42 WITH a national title that you keep leaving out we would be jumping for joy and celebrating all night long that Auburn was finally able to hire a proven head coach for once instead of the usual UP AND COMER we go for/settle for.

I agree. LSU did earn Saban the right to demand certain things for him to come. He had SEC experience, a known work ethic in recruiting, and to give Bird a little credit on his thoughts, Alabama was in a very tough situation with their program. Up and down, losing 6 straight to us...etc.

So Saban had them under the gun a little. A lot more than Rodriquez had, who they initially hired..and then he backed out.

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

He had a national title and a couple of SEC titles at LSU, a history of great recruiting under his belt, and proof that he knew how to build a damn program.  UAT knew what they were getting when they offered him an astronomical salary and total control of their program.

Gus had one year HC experience at Arky ST, and a few years coaching under the likes of Houston Nutt and Gene Chizik. 

This is an exercise in futility, as the Auburn Administration will NEVER give total control to a head football coach.

not this one. this group of losers will have to die off and MAYBE the new generation will not put their own interests over the program.

17 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

a national title earned him that. Come on bird. Why you acting this way BAE?

I'm saying he had 1 great year where he won it all, at LSU, before Bama.  Coming into Bama, NS had an avg. of 8 wins a year. That doesn't warrant Carte Blanche over a program, IMO. However, they gave it to him and he has had success after that.  He didn't earn it, it was given to him as a condition of his hiring. Now we want/expect Gus to earn the freedom that was handed to NS, when Gus has obstacles and outside influences to deal with that Saban never has had at Bama. There is no way of telling how successful Gus could be or could've been if given the same type of control that Nick was given on Day 1.

Also, you refer to the NC as a factor in the freedom Nick has. Gus has had a major hand in 1 championship as an OC and was in charge of another...albeit a loss. 

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'm saying he had 1 great year where he won it all, at LSU, before Bama.  Coming into Bama, NS had an avg. of 8 wins a year. That doesn't warrant Carte Blanche over a program, IMO. However, they gave it to him and he has had success after that.  He didn't earn it, it was given to him as a condition of his hiring. Now we want/expect Gus to earn the freedom that was handed to NS, when Gus has obstacles and outside influences to deal with that Saban never has had at Bama. There is no way of telling how successful Gus could be or could've been if given the same type of control that Nick was given on Day 1.

Also, you refer to the NC as a factor in the freedom Nick has. Gus has had a major hand in 1 championship as an OC and was in charge of another...albeit a loss. 

As long as we have limitations at the AD we will never give the type of control that Saban gets at spuat.  But, I highly doubt that had Gus Malzahn been hired by spuat in 2007, that Gus would have had the same success as Saban simply because Gus is a far inferior coach and program builder.  Saban at AU would have taken AU to levels never seen before.  He would have less effective than he has been at spuat, but he would have been the best coach AU ever had.

wde

Guys of the guys listed, personally I like the guy from Cal the most. And the guy from NC State and Eddie Gran the absolute least. Gran is a good guy, but he isn't what we need That being said, of those mentioned, I guess Helfrich would be #2. However that isn't as much a plus on Helfrich as it is that our other options don't looks so grand. But maybe being canned has lit a fire under him... 

8 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Hellfrich

Hellfrick

Helfrick

Hellfritch...

By Ole Miss next season, it would simply be Oh hell

8 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Whether its Lindsey, Spavital, or Helfrich it will be a more experienced outsider OC.

But why some on here know how good each is in regards to their ability to develop a QB or call plays or recruits..is no more of an insider knowledge as any of us knowing if the Russians have credible dirt on Trump..

Those that know that Helfrich never has called the plays as OC at Oregon, or even HC  AND that is a terrible reruiter just is crazy. Please tell me the inside info. How do we know his recruiting weakness.

Those that are not impressed with Lindsey JUST because of how the ASU offense did this year is crazy. Don't we look at someone's body of work?

Those that are not impressed with Spavital because the PAC 12 doesn't have any defenses is crazy. 

It just seems that all these guys have strengths and weaknesses. The key is what the coaches who REALLY know these guys think of them. Gus i am sure is making his calls to those who them...and he also knows he must bring someone in that is a fit for his offensive scheme, the players currently that will have to run them, and be able to recruit for sure. 

I have pretty good insight. I've lived minutes away from Autzen for a decade. And had season tickets about half that (from wife's family.)  You can believe what you want. I've seen him coach... In person... As OC and HC. He was never impressive as an OC. He absolutely didn't call the plays,  but again, you are free to believe whatever you choose. 

5 hours ago, autigersj said:

FBS (I-A) Team Total Offense Statistics - 2013

2 Oregon
7 Auburn

1 Oregon
17 Auburn

8 Oregon
80 Auburn

36 Oregon
43 Auburn

How about that?

How about before you try to make him look that much better than us... You HAVE to take the level of play into consideration. That offense doesn't score close to those points in the SEC, especially the SEC West. 

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

@Auburn2Eugene well looks like our QB recruiting would still be suffering. This does not exactly fix that AND he has not called plays since he was at colorado.

I know what it is.  It's the glamor of Oregon. The flashy uniforms. Has to be. There is absolutely no other excuse for this madness... He didn't call the plays as OC, and as far as recruiting QBs goes... Lashlee was a FAR superior QB recruiter. Oregon hasn't brought in ANY high school QB talent since Mariotta. 

Guys I am one of you. We don't want him. Under any circumstances.

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Possibly, but that not an etched in stone fact.  

Some notes from around the interwebs on Helfrich as an OC:

I don't care what any article says, Scott Frost deserves the majority of the credit for Mariotta. Especially considering Helfrich stopped coaching QBs in 2012... 

15 minutes ago, bigbird said:

And the turds were DESPERATE! Rich Rod had turned them down, shorty had turned them down and they came back begging him with an open pocket book and no pride. He is the perfect match for the cheating machine. He and Emmert were caught cheating at LSU! Emmert has left a trail of questions at every stop. Read the USA Today article on them. 

54 minutes ago, bigbird said:

8-4

10-3

8-5

13-1

9-3

Does anyone think his successor will get that blank check?    JMO but I doubt it....

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Does anyone think his successor will get that blank check?    JMO but I doubt it....

yes dabo will.

27 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

As long as we have limitations at the AD we will never give the type of control that Saban gets at spuat.  But, I highly doubt that had Gus Malzahn been hired by spuat in 2007, that Gus would have had the same success as Saban simply because Gus is a far inferior coach and program builder.  Saban at AU would have taken AU to levels never seen before.  He would have less effective than he has been at spuat, but he would have been the best coach AU ever had.

wde

You can't really say that. He had one good year at MSU among several 6-7 win seasons, and one really good year at LSU. He is a good coach, no doubt, but unless he had gotten the elite recruiting classes at Auburn that he has gotten at UAt, and cough, the "extra" resources provided by the one and only club full of "disassociated" boosters whose motto includes "by any means necessary", he wouldn't be in the "best coach AU ever had" category. He'd be more of a Tuberville. 

I doubt it....Nick has ridden along on the coat tails of Emmert......Dabo has no such contacts or pull that will keep him out of trouble.

1 minute ago, johnnyAU said:

You can't really say that. He had one good year at MSU among several 6-7 win seasons, and one really good year at LSU. He is a good coach, no doubt, but unless he had gotten the elite recruiting classes at Auburn that he has gotten at UAt, and cough, the "extra" resources provided by the one and only club full of "disassociated" boosters whose motto includes "by any means necessary", he wouldn't be in the "best coach AU ever had" category. He'd be more of a Tuberville. 

LOL.  Saban would have easily been our best coach.  He would have recruited to levels AU has never seen (although Gus has recruited to levels that AU has not seen since Pat Dye in his hey day either, Gus just is simply a mediocre coach).  I said Saban would not have had the success at AU that he has had at spuat because our boosters, while willing, are simply not as good as spuat's and our boosters do not have the same political clout that spuat's boosters do.  I am a fan of Tuberville and acknowledge that Pat Dye is our best coach ever, but Saban would have easily eclipsed what Tuberville and Dye accomplished.  Dye was the closest thing AU has ever had to a Bear/Saban but was limited by his own deficiencies, not because he did not have full control.

wde

1 hour ago, keesler said:

No he didn't.  He had AVERAGE years at Michigan state and 2 solid years at LSU and a FAILURE in the NFL.  He was an average 8 win coach before he got to uat (college record), Factor in his FAILURE in the NFL and he's worse than that.   That is in no way, shape or form a "strong" resume. 

1 minute ago, AUIH1 said:

LOL.  Saban would have easily been our best coach.  He would have recruited to levels AU has never seen (although Gus has recruited to levels that AU has not seen since Pat Dye in his hey day either, Gus just is simply a mediocre coach).  I said Saban would not have had the success at AU that he has had at spuat because our boosters, while willing, are simply not as good as spuat's and our boosters do not have the same political clout that spuat's boosters do.  I am a fan of Tuberville and acknowledge that Pat Dye is our best coach ever, but Saban would have easily eclipsed what Tuberville and Dye accomplished.  Dye was the closest thing AU has ever had to a Bear/Saban but was limited by his own deficiencies, not because he did not have full control.

wde

He wouldn't have the recruiting success here he has there either. AU isn't set up to be as effective as Bama...not enough car dealerships or suit stores or gas cards.

Just now, bigbird said:

He wouldn't have the recruiting success here he has there either. AU isn't set up to be as effective as Bama...not enough car dealerships or suit stores or gas cards.

I never said he would.  I just said it would be at levels we haven't seen before.  I agree AU is not set up to be effective as Bama (but not for lack of trying).  

wde

3 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

There's no way in hell saban would recruit as well at Auburn as he does at uat.   If that were true, why didn't he recruit like he's doing now when he was at LSU?  Or, why didn't he recruit like this at Michigan State?    He didn't because he doesn't have a group/organization of people behind the scenes that were willing to sacrifice their integrity and ethics to get saban the players he needs to win.  Without that organization supporting that program, he's an average coach at best and all you have to do is look at his records for his other coaching stops to prove it.

Archived