Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

Just now, HarrisBoy334 said:

Please explain to me why not?

Because the schemes and principles are completely different.  Why don't you just take the best Pro-Style offense, the Air Raid, the Triple Option, and mash it all up into one Super-Offense that can do everything and anything at any given moment? Because it doesn't work.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

While I get your sentiment, that's not true at all. The reason Rhett was an issue wasn't that he was young or inexperienced coming in.  It was that he has been with Gus since high school, so Gus is all he knows, therefor he brings nothing to the table.  A young guy with fresh ideas might be just what we need to create the next great offense. We've already got the old guy who's set it his ways, after all.

I think a lot of people do not take into account how true that really is.  Lashlee played QB for Gus, coached QB's for Gus at Springdale, went to Arkansas as a GA with Gus, came here as a GA with Gus, was his OC at Arkansas State, and then came here with Gus in the same role.  His only coaching experience away from Gus was his year as OC at Samford before rejoining Gus at Arkansas State.

30 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Well damn.  I wasn't putting the cultural thing up there as the end all-be all.  But having a good feel for an area and being able to fit can matter in recruiting.  If you have a hard time relating to the kids, their coaches and their parents, it's going to create some drag for you on the trail.  Being from a different region doesn't automatically mean you won't be able to relate, but it's always something you assess.

i know you didn't mean it like that. I was putting that out there as a general statement. There are a lot of people within the Auburn family, whether it be fans, boosters, board members, or athletic department officials,who feel like a guy has to be "culturally able to fit in." The way I see it, that basically means, will the sit back and let the good ole boys do what they want. I'm just tired of that kind of thinking, because if anything is holding Auburn back, progressively, it's that kind of crap.

37 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Well damn.  I wasn't putting the cultural thing up there as the end all-be all.  But having a good feel for an area and being able to fit can matter in recruiting.  If you have a hard time relating to the kids, their coaches and their parents, it's going to create some drag for you on the trail.  Being from a different region doesn't automatically mean you won't be able to relate, but it's always something you assess.

I did gather that LSU chose their new HC, only partially,

on the fact that he didn't have an accent.

57 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Again, I'm not a "hire Lindsey now!!!!" guy.  But I'd say that there are some pros to him other than what you mention above:

- Has produced prolific offenses when key personnel were healthy
- Has some Power 5 experience
- Successful coach at large HS program in Alabama as well as Georgia, so he's familiar with the recruiting area and probably has some relationships in both states
- Originally from this area so he "fits in" culturally
- Unlike a Helfrich for instance, he's less likely to jump to a HC job after one successful season
- Seems to have a good reputation as a playcaller

Here's a good article with some background:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ncaaf/asu/2015/12/18/from-alabama-to-the-desert-chip-lindseys-road-to-asu-football/77592934/

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, WinningTradition said:

So does it look like Helfrich will be the new OC?

Your guess is as good as anyone's.  We won't know until the press conference (or until the hire actually leaks from the AD).

1 minute ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Did you just say that Coach O doesn't have an accent???

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Did you just say that Coach O doesn't have an accent???

Apparently,

none that locals could hear.

5 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

giphy.gif

20 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

i know you didn't mean it like that. I was putting that out there as a general statement. There are a lot of people within the Auburn family, whether it be fans, boosters, board members, or athletic department officials,who feel like a guy has to be "culturally able to fit in." The way I see it, that basically means, will the sit back and let the good ole boys do what they want. I'm just tired of that kind of thinking, because if anything is holding Auburn back, progressively, it's that kind of crap.

Yeah, I meant "culture of the Southeastern US, Alabama, Georgia", not "culture of Auburn's athletic department."  So long as he's not a relationally clueless a-hole, I don't give a rip about his ability to navigate the nuances of the Auburn AD.

Sorry if it's been discussed but has any mention been made regarding to what happens to the rest of the Offensive staff?

Is the new OC going to be able to bring in a coach or two that he's comfortable with for HIS scheme, etc??  ...or is this going to be like Franklin coming in and having to accept Tub's boys (square peg / round hole)?

34 minutes ago, metafour said:

Because the schemes and principles are completely different.  Why don't you just take the best Pro-Style offense, the Air Raid, the Triple Option, and mash it all up into one Super-Offense that can do everything and anything at any given moment? Because it doesn't work.

Patriots are a pro style based team who ran zone read against the Texans earlier in the season for the win. These coordinators make alot of money to decide how to incorporate formations and schemes to get the win. Not combine the two  but run a certain scheme when needed during a series or drive.

Just now, autigersj said:

Rob Pate is suggesting coach Gran. I say no to that.

Good lord. It's like Auburn is just going around in circles. What's next, Chizik as our new DC. At this rate, Tuberville will end up being Auburn's next head coach. Lol

20 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Apparently,

none that locals could hear.

Wow... thanks... I needed that laugh, this morning as I try to wrap up work before icemageddon. 

5 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Armando from Miami says it's going to be Steve Spurrier

Wut?

I can get behind this 

Archived