Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

11 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

That is the rumor.

Ok, I heard it on a radio show yesterday but the guy is a doofus (im just starting to form an opinion about the guy and so far its doofus) therefore i didnt know if he had any real info.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Breaking news!!! It is being said for a sum of 350 K we can get the new OC from UCONN ! But also just in, Coach Malzahn is considering hiring his own self to call plays. This will allow him to save AU some money. :hellyeah:

9 hours ago, autigeremt said:

12-24 hrs.......

At current pace, that's

~ 5 1/2 to 11 pages

1 minute ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Breaking news!!! It is being said for a sum of 350 K we can get the new OC from UCONN ! But also just in, Coach Malzahn is considering hiring his own self to call plays. This will allow him to save AU some money. :hellyeah:

You are NOT funny. 

at all.

But strangely enough, you've accidentally summed up this thread thus far!

No really, this was only way we could actually justify giving Rhett a raise. He takes the job at UCON for 250 and we give him a raise to 350 to come back. So everybody is happy, WDE

and nobody looks bad

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

Has anyone mentioned Wade Christopher?  I am sure we could have 2 2000yd rushers and throw for 6000yds if we could get him.

Best idea yet! He can be the OC, AD, QB, RB,WR all at the SAME TIME!

43 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

Ok, I heard it on a radio show yesterday but the guy is a doofus (im just starting to form an opinion about the guy and so far its doofus) therefore i didnt know if he had any real info.

Somebody posted a tweet from Cubelic a few pages back saying something about Gus picking Yurcich up at the Atl Airport so TIFWIW.

10 hours ago, 1974AUgrad said:

I was shocked that our contract with Muschamp didn't have a no-compete clause barring him from other HC jobs in the SEC. Every coach's contract should bar him from taking an SEC job. As a lawyer, I have to say that it might be unenforceable (non-compete clauses involving "professionals" are illegal), but there aren't any cases I'm aware of deciding whether coaches meet the definition of a professional (which traditionally meant doctors, lawyers, clergy and some say educators). It would be enough of a potential monkey wrench to make the parties pause before a coach from AU goes to another SEC school.

LOL.....Muschamp would have NEVER accepted a contract with a no SEC compete clause.  Muschamp had us by the balls, and we were so desperate to snag him that we gave him whatever he wanted.

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Has anyone mentioned Wade Christopher?  I am sure we could have 2 2000yd rushers and throw for 6000yds if we could get him.

Dr. Christopher politely declined... he's too busy saving lives to worry about winning football games.

27 minutes ago, keesler said:

LOL.....Muschamp would have NEVER accepted a contract with a no SEC compete clause.  Muschamp had us by the balls, and we were so desperate to snag him that we gave him whatever he wanted.

To be fair to Jay, if he didn't hire Muschamp, this fanbase would have had him hung publicly on Toomers Corner.

4 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

To be fair to Jay, if he didn't hire Muschamp, this fanbase would have had him hung publicly on Toomers Corner.

TBH if we didn't hire Muschamp we probably are looking for a new HC right now instead of OC

13 minutes ago, Tiger said:

TBH if we didn't hire Muschamp we probably are looking for a new HC right now instead of OC

This will be ideal with a new president and AD. ( I hope.)

11 hours ago, aufan57 said:

Blake Jarwin, TE Caught 19 passes for 309 yds in 2016

Zac Veatch TE Caught 9 passes for 93 yds in 2016

Keenan Brown TE Caught 2 passes for 47 yds

This is what bothers me about bringing in a OC that is going to HAVE TO mold his offensive scheme with Gus'. If Gus didnt like to use the TE much, but here is a guy MY who used them 30 times, then MY may not want to deal with having to change his schemes.

And add to that, Yurcich will have to maybe use Gus' terminology, and make sure his running schemes are used too. And then as these coaches have to make changes to their offensive philosophy, then add in trying to get these players to learn all this new stuff.

Is it better to bring in someone from Gus' offensive philosophy tree, and not go so far out to bring more passing punch to the offense? 

It could cause issues in executing such a new offensive plan...just wondering...personally, i think we need to go with someone like MY and accept the gamble it brings...

1 hour ago, autigersj said:

Best idea yet! He can be the OC, AD, QB, RB,WR all at the SAME TIME!

8 Special Teams coaches, then?

4 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

This is what bothers me about bringing in a OC that is going to HAVE TO mold his offensive scheme with Gus'. If Gus didnt like to use the TE much, but here is a guy MY who used them 30 times, then MY may not want to deal with having to change his schemes.

And add to that, Yurcich will have to maybe use Gus' terminology, and make sure his running schemes are used too. And then as these coaches have to make changes to their offensive philosophy, then add in being to get the players to learn all this new stuff.

Is it better to bring in someone from Gus' offensive philosophy tree, and not go so far out to bring more passing punch to the offense? 

It could cause issues in executing such a new offensive plan...just wondering...personally, i think we need to go with somone like MY and accept the gamble it brings...

I see where you're coming from, but you can't bring in a guy like Jarrett Stidham, and have him doing handoffs and bubble screens. That would be such a waste of potential. Jarrett's a peacock! You gotta let him fly!

6 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

And add to that, Yurcich will have to maybe use Gus' terminology, and make sure his running schemes are used too. And then as these coaches have to make changes to their offensive philosophy, then add in trying to get these players to learn all this new stuff.

It could cause issues in executing such a new offensive plan...just wondering...personally, i think we need to go with someone like MY and accept the gamble it brings...

Gus is intentionally looking for guys who don't run a scheme like his.  Where is the logic in that if he plans to force them into his scheme? I think it's best not to assume the worst in him all of the time.

6 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I see where you're coming from, but you can't bring in a guy like Jarrett Stidham, and have him doing handoffs and bubble screens. That would be such a waste of potential. Jarrett's a peacock! You gotta let him fly!

I didn't think peacocks fly a lot and when they do, they don't fly very far? :dunno:

Just now, PigskinPat said:

I didn't think peacocks fly a lot and when they do, they don't fly very far? :dunno:

You, my friend, sound like you need to sit aside a little time to watch a movie called "The Other Guys".

Yurcich is a FB coach - for a half million dollars he can translate 100 words and mold a scheme.  We aren't building rockets with blindfolds on.  Successful people move and migrate with great success every year.  When you have turnover on staff it's ALWAYS time to upgrade.  Seems like a perfect fit to balance out Gus.  If we want to beat the best, we are going to have to get out of comfort zone.  Hire this guy, put him on plane and focus on Saturday.  We need to fill some big holes.  Keep it simple and have high expectations (that is what Steele did).

4 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

A chance to work w/ the genius behind the whirlybird and QB carousel has to be enticing for any OC in the country.

Hilarious, Lol.

4 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

You, my friend, sound like you need to sit aside a little time to watch a movie called "The Other Guys".

I had forgotten that line! Hilarious movie!! Pimps don't cry...

8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Gus is intentionally looking for guys who don't run a scheme like his.  Where is the logic in that if he plans to force them into his scheme? I think it's best not to assume the worst in him all of the time.

That is much better to hear if this is what Gus wants and is willing to do. So if someone like Yurcich is hired, then we won't recognize his prior offenses? I would much rather use a proven OC's success, and then add some of Gus' plays that were very successful.

Archived