Dameyune Craig fired

TitanTiger

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I agree GWill the state of Georgia recruiting needs to be a huge priority for our staff.  We need to be grabbing 5 of the top 20 from there... we got 1 this year and he was #18

kirby took us to the woodshed. It really is remarkable we still ended up with a top 10 class and did not do so great in georgia. We MUST beat them on the field this year and not just this year but consistently. It was only a matter of time before those losses hurt us in recruiting. I think Kirby is a much better recruiter than richt but richt was the better coach.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auburn does not have to get them all just some of them. Too many Georgia kids are gonna be loyal to the state...just takes the right recruiter and salesman and Kirby is that guy. He is gonna lock that state down, particularly if they win...but some will always slip through the cracks like Bryant, Taylor and Solomon...Auburn will have to stay aggressive and must start beating them on the field again..

3 hours ago, GordoAU said:

Burns is unproven but there were far fewer dropped passes this year. Craig was coaching beasts like Coates, Duke and Louis who all dropped the ball like it was covered in butter. Coates even admitted his coaching at Auburn was sub par. Burns did get a 4 star even though we didn't need more WRs.

This is not completely accurate. The issue with Coates was the scheme. Like Cam Newton faced, the scheme which CGM utilizes does no favors at the next level, including receivers skeleton routes. There are much more sophisticated routes in the NFL, just like there is much more QB reads happening in the NFL. Both had to go through a fast pace orientation to complement their respective teams. Just running the fade route won't cut it.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/02/steelers-gm-says-wr-sammie-coates-had-to-learn-bigger-route-tree-as-rookie/

“Sammie grew as the year went on,” said Colbert. “He had to make some changes into a more of a conventional offense and learn to run more of a route tree than he was exposed to in some of the spread offenses that they run in college, so he progressed as the year went on.

BTW, not taking up CDC. Clearly, there was a reason he was fired, however, the disdained he has by many on here is not felt from the LSU faithful or the players for that matter there.  Many of them really respected him and it shows by their responses. Not saying this makes him a great or good coach, but people act like this guy is a dog crap person.

I think its such a dirt bag move to fire him the day after national signing day. They obviously had this in the works but didn't want to fire him earlier and risk losing any recruits. So let him build bonds with kids to suck them in to LSU but once the ink is dry on the LOI, cut him loose. Real scum bag stuff.

1 hour ago, AubFanCT said:

I think its such a dirt bag move to fire him the day after national signing day. They obviously had this in the works but didn't want to fire him earlier and risk losing any recruits. So let him build bonds with kids to suck them in to LSU but once the ink is dry on the LOI, cut him loose. Real scum bag stuff.

Didn't Auburn practically do the same thing last year?I know we didn't "Fire" him but we didn't exactly try to keep him either.

Considering that there have been strong rumors about him looking for other jobs for weeks, I don't buy that he was "fired".  Looks more like a "he's going to leave so we'll just terminate him now" type move.

10 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I don't believe so... at least not above board (this is bama after all).

@ellitor can probably verify or correct me if I'm wrong.

SIAA but analysts can have contact if they have a preexiting relationship with a recruit or if a staff does not have it's full alotment of coaches. T-Will did this twice the defensive staff changes before he was our full time LB coach.

This is hilarious, all that DC has done for the school and look how you all talk about him. Guess the auburn man badge was taken back. Many of you are full of it. And if you're to naive to see what he can do for us take ncm, Kyle David, stove, deshaun Davis, Tre Williams off the team right now......good luck

The fact that in game two many of you started the you can clearly see the "fundamentals" improving with the wr's when there were none shows that you are biased and it's just something you hope to say

14 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I could be wrong, but I think our wide receivers are about to improve dramatically. Being in an offense where they regularly get to do their job in game situations will lead to a significant  improvement in their performance. 

Who are you? Post more please. You are needed on this board.

14 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

This actually is not true.  When Texas was having trouble with drops, back in the early 2000's, I believe, they made their receivers work with a tennis serving machine and catch 100 tennis balls a day. That's not a standard catching drill, but it worked.

You are, however, correct that Kodi has not proven himself as a commodity, so he would not be hired by most Power 5 teams.  Craig, on the other hand, has falling stock since the fact that teams aren't fighting to keep someone as good as he is on the trail raises a big red flag.

It's absolutely true. You think that was a secret? It's just something that somebody decided they would do. You know what's a common good practice in basketball? Being able to dribble a tennis ball, if you can control that you can control a basketball easy. 

It may not be a standard drill because who can say if it really works. If it was a proven drill then every school would do it now. THERE ARE NO SECRET DRILLS FOR HANDS. You go out every single day and got practice catching.....that's it. Some are better than others. There are techniques to running routes, and even that is basic. Kyle Davis didn't make that one hand catch because of kodi burns or anybody else. A wr coach is as easy of a position coach there is. What you really want to make sure is they recruit. And they recruit a player with work ethic that can't go to sleep before they catch 100 passes and practice their routes. 

And if they are lacking other intangibles it's because of Gus's offense and clearly you don't want him replaced.

Still love Craig and would love to have him back, as unreasonable as that is currently.  Never understood why he was working with WR's instead of QB's though, at any of his stops. 

17 hours ago, RunInRed said:

If he ends up at UAT, I'm done.

I understand this feeling, but...

As much as we would abhor it and hope that he wouldn't do that, I have to wonder if a year or 2 under Saban wouldn't fix his attitude and make him less toxic - both to be around, and as someone who seems to burn a lot of bridges.

It would be a terrible thing for Auburn if that happened, but it could be a good move for him. Doesn't mean that we still wouldn't be done with him, though.

50 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

I understand this feeling, but...

As much as we would abhor it and hope that he wouldn't do that, I have to wonder if a year or 2 under Saban wouldn't fix his attitude and make him less toxic - both to be around, and as someone who seems to burn a lot of bridges.

It would be a terrible thing for Auburn if that happened, but it could be a good move for him. Doesn't mean that we still wouldn't be done with him, though.

I do not see how it would really be terrible for Auburn.  Alabama gets whichever players they want.  They are already well-coached.  Craig cannot really take Alabama to a higher level or make them any more threatening than they already are.

9 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I do not see how it would really be terrible for Auburn.  Alabama gets whichever players they want.  They are already well-coached.  Craig cannot really take Alabama to a higher level or make them any more threatening than they already are.

I thought this too but didn't want rocks chucked at me. 

2 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

I thought this too but didn't want rocks chucked at me. 

With Craig's reputed recruiting prowess, I would be more concerned if he went somewhere like Arkansas or one of the Mississippi schools.  LSU and Alabama were already recruiting at a high level.

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Who are you? Post more please. You are needed on this board.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm just a guy with an opinion. I do enjoy this board a lot. 

Doesn't matter how many drills the WR's do if they don't get used in the passing game regularly in practices and games.  Here's to hoping the addition of Stidham and Lindsey will open up that part of our offense like we assume it will be.  We have the most talented group of WR's since 2004, and possibly better.  Gotta get 'em involved early and often.

9 hours ago, metafour said:

Considering that there have been strong rumors about him looking for other jobs for weeks, I don't buy that he was "fired".  Looks more like a "he's going to leave so we'll just terminate him now" type move.

Gets it. 

19 hours ago, beaumak said:

gotta love the timing on this one.  :glare:

Indeed, but Craig most likely knew, before yesterday, his services would not be need ... (after NSD)

18 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Yeah.  I'd love to have CDC back if only for the recruiting part of it.  But he needs to think long and hard about why Jimbo and Gus didn't fight to keep him and now Orgeron has canned him.  That's three straight places that have found that dealing with him behind the scenes isn't worth the recruiting prowess he brings to the table.  He needs to do some serious self examination and learn a different approach to people. 

I'd also suggest that if he's not happy as a position coach and wants to move toward an OC role, he needs to step down to a lower tier school to do it.

This isn't true. Jimbo fought off AU the first time but couldn't match the money AU was offering DC the second time.  

DC asked to be appointed to the Co-OC but the new OC wanted to bring in his "guys" so O told DC he should start looking for a new job. Wasn't some "DC is a prick, don't fit in at LSU and can't coach". Was a mutual parting of the ways so the new OC could bring in his own "guys" Convenient that no one is bringing up that LSU also fired the RB coach. Funny how some HC's let the OC bring in their own people. 

Going to be interesting to hear how good of a WR coach Kodi is, when he isn't coaching WR's anymore. 

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

This isn't true. Jimbo fought off AU the first time but couldn't match the money AU was offering DC the second time.  

DC asked to be appointed to the Co-OC but the new OC wanted to bring in his "guys" so O told DC he should start looking for a new job. Wasn't some "DC is a prick, don't fit in at LSU and can't coach". Was a mutual parting of the ways so the new OC could bring in his own "guys" Convenient that no one is bringing up that LSU also fired the RB coach. Funny how some HC's let the OC bring in their own people. 

Going to be interesting to hear how good of a WR coach Kodi is, when he isn't coaching WR's anymore. 

I think if it was some amicable parting of ways at LSU, they would have allowed DC to line up his next gig first instead of dismissing him.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

I think if it was some amicable parting of ways at LSU, they would have allowed DC to line up his next gig first instead of dismissing him.

Don't work that way. LSU will most likely have to face DC on the recruiting trail.  When its said and done, it still business. 

Gus didn't know DC was going to LSU. 

Archived