Dameyune Craig fired

TitanTiger

Just now, Gowebb11 said:

I'm not an insider and I am not connected with the PTB, so I don't know specifically why he left AU. But it seems to me we have no interest in making him an OC or HC. DC was a star QB in the SEC, had a brief stint as an NFL player, played professionally in the NFL Europe, Coached in the NFL under Saban, and was tutored in College coaching by Saban, Jimbo, and Gus. In spite of that, he served as an underling for Lashlee who was a marginal college player with zero NFL experience who knows only the Gus way. DC may or may not become a Power 5 OC or HC but it's pretty clear it wasn't going to happen at AU. He certainly has a better resume than RL. He will always be one of my favorite players and I wish him success wherever he goes. 

Gus has no intentions of having him as a OC, because they don't see eye-to-eye, but if he continues to grow and doesn't coach at bama, the PTB would welcome him back with open arms as an OC under a different HC or a HC when he gets to that level.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Gus has no intentions of having him as a OC, because they don't see eye-to-eye, but if he continues to grow and doesn't coach at bama, the PTB would welcome him back with open arms as an OC under a different HC or a HC when he gets to that level.

That is another issue. Hire the best person possible. Quit with these bureaucratic games. That is like NS retiring for a year than pulling an Urban Meyer and us refusing him because he coached at Bama. If CDC is available at any capacity in the future and a coach wanted to bring him in because of his recruiting prowess, regardless if he had a stint or not at Bama, that should be his prerogative.  Kevin freaking Steele was the DC at Bama, Clemson, and LSU. All three being are rivals.  

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

That is another issue. Hire the best person possible. Quit with these bureaucratic games. That is like NS retiring for a year than pulling an Urban Meyer and us refusing him because he coached at Bama. If CDC is available at any capacity in the future and a coach wanted to bring him in because of his recruiting prowess, regardless if he had a stint or not at Bama, that should be his prerogative.  Kevin freaking Steele was the DC at Bama, Clemson, and LSU. All three being are rivals.  

The thing is... it's not even bureaucratic games... it's way more juvinile. It's people getting their feelings hurt and holding grudges. Steele isn't a big deal because he wasn't an "Auburn guy" first. Because Craig went to Auburn, it's different. The people who pay the bills take it very personally when an Auburn man goes to bama. Sometimes I wonder if it's just a SEC thing, but then I can imagine the same thing would happen at Ohio State and Michigan

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Sure......it's a business and guys move around all the time and if he is the answer to some coaching problem at AU, guess I don't care where else he has coached...... considering that as far as we know, he has done nothing underhanded against AU.  

That said, don't see him ever being a HC at a power 5 school....JMO but he is starting to run out the clock on career advancement and likely will be a "professional" coordinator or assistant where ever a school needs his talents. ...not a bad life if he can get with a HC who has good job stability.   

Just now, AU64 said:

Sure......it's a business and guys move around all the time and if he is the answer to some coaching problem at AU, guess I don't care where else he has coached...... considering that as far as we know, he has done nothing underhanded against AU.  

That said, don't see him ever being a HC at a power 5 school....JMO but he is starting to run out the clock on career advancement and likely will be a "professional" coordinator or assistant where ever a school needs his talents. ...not a bad life if he can get with a HC who has good job stability.   

I don't think he will be an HC either. I hope you don't think I was insinuating that. If so, my apologies. 

Just now, DAG said:

I don't think he will be an HC either. I hope you don't think I was insinuating that. If so, my apologies. 

nope....but a few folks still think he has that future....but looks like we are not among 'em.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

nope....but a few folks still think he has that future....but looks like we are not among 'em.

I think he might get a shot at OC, which is what he desperately wants.

Just now, AU64 said:

I think CDC ultimately wants to be an OC. Hopefully, he gets that opportunity somewhere down the line. I wouldn't feel comfortable with him in that role without some sort of experience. He has zero experience calling plays anywhere. He was "Co-OC" here, but that was title only.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I think CDC ultimately wants to be an OC. Hopefully, he gets that opportunity somewhere down the line. I wouldn't feel comfortable with him in that role without some sort of experience. He has zero experience calling plays anywhere. He was "Co-OC" here, but that was title only.

Yep.....but seems to me that he has gotten the reputation as a recruiting guru and is getting jobs where he is needed to help fill a talent shortage quickly.    His real challenge is  to get a job based on teaching and coaching results rather than recruiting.  That's hard to do....person gets the reputation for a certain thing and not easy to change that perception and thus far his coaching successes are ambiguous at best.    Hope he gets the OC job...Oregon if that is still in play.

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Yep.....but seems to me that he has gotten the reputation as a recruiting guru and is getting jobs where he is needed to help fill a talent shortage quickly.    His real challenge is  to get a job based on teaching and coaching results rather than recruiting.  That's hard to do....person gets the reputation for a certain thing and not easy to change that perception and thus far his coaching successes are ambiguous at best.    Hope he gets the OC job...Oregon if that is still in play.

Excellent point. DC is too valuable as a recruiter to not be on a Power 5, and maybe even an SEC staff. But he needs to get some experience at a lower tier school as a play caller and OC. The former prohibits the latter. 

On 2/2/2017 at 3:34 PM, Tiger said:

A coach can't catch the ball for them. @cole256 has mentioned ad nauseam that everyone runs the same WR catching drills. There are no "secret drills" I believe is his phrase. You're either born with hands or you're not. You can improve them marginally but you're pretty much either skilled at catching or you're not. But still, lets just say the WRs at AU performed better under Kodi's leadership than Craig's. I still think you couldn't find >5 power 5 head coaches who would hire Kodi over Craig today. 

CDC certainly isn't a WR coach for sure. But i also feel like once we started to recruit WRs who were more polished versus just bringing in ATH and converting them to WR we'll see improvements. Unfortunately, our offensive staff couldn't see past playing mainly seniors instead of putting the best WRs on the field. Not to say that some of those ATH turned WR didn't pan out but i welcomed the change in direction of recruiting more polished WRs. 

As far as Kodi, I'll mostly be judging him on the results of the classes of WRs he brings in and their production. The last group and the one before of WRs that CDC brought in is just loaded with God given talent IMO. I think Kodi will be fine at this point. If Gus is still around the next 1-2 years for him will tell us what we need to know about him. Living up to CDC's recruiting ability is a tough task for anyone to follow. 

37 minutes ago, AU64 said:

He definitely wants to be an OC. If he doesn't get the OC job at Oregon he really needs to take an OC job at a lower level school. I don't think he can afford at this point to take yet another WR coaching job at a Power 5 only hoping to be the OC in waiting. 

DCraig is a recruiter first and his coaching skills are less than that of our AU guy on staff who is known as a recruiter first.  He may have been an improvement over Rhett as QB coach, but that is not saying much.  I wish he were still on our staff simply for recruiting, but as long as Gus is HC, that won't happen.  As others have posted, if he truly wants to be an OC, he needs to start at a level much lower than a Power 5 conference team.  But, as long as Jay Jacobs is AD, I expect DCraig to be on the list of HC candidates when Gus is let go.

wde

I don't understand some of the salt in this thread.

i would welcome him back, Gus and Rhett didn't value him imput for improving the offense and low and behold a season later we have another oc hired to do what he wanted to help with when here.

5 minutes ago, CCslim said:

I don't understand some of the salt in this thread.

i would welcome him back, Gus and Rhett didn't value him imput for improving the offense and low and behold a season later we have another oc hired to do what he wanted to help with when here.

If that was the case, and i do believe it was...why would Gus be willing to bring him back? I could understand bringing him back if we were hurting in recruiting but i just don't see him coming back as long as Gus is here. I have no issues with CDC honestly. I didn't think he was qualified enough to be our OC but heck we had an OC that wasn't qualified. 

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

Actually, RPOs are more effective against zone coverage because you catch the defense in between responsibilities. 

Aren't the dbs eyes in the backfield on zone calls? On the wr in man? 

4 minutes ago, alexava said:

Aren't the dbs eyes in the backfield on zone calls? On the wr in man? 

Yes, so if the WR runs off and the dbs eyes are in the backfield and he comes up for run support, the receiver becomes wide open. If in man, the WR is covered and the DB is slower to run support.

14 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

We will know in a week. And Kodi isn't going anywhere. 

Isn't leaving Auburn? Or isn't leaving his on-the-field position? I hope this isn't inferring that Horton may be leaving within the next week. I think Horton is one of our best coaches. I'm all for moving Burns to an off-the-field position and hiring a real WR coach and/or elite recruiter.

8 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Isn't leaving Auburn? Or isn't leaving his on-the-field position? I hope this isn't inferring that Horton may be leaving within the next week. I think Horton is one of our best coaches. I'm all for moving Burns to an off-the-field position and hiring a real WR coach and/or elite recruiter.

It's been mentioned that Horton is looking around, or being looked at, or both. If he goes elsewhere, Lindsey might move Kodi to RB coach if he wants to do so. it's where he was  when he worked for Lindsey before.

13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It's been mentioned that Horton is looking around, or being looked at, or both. If he goes elsewhere, Lindsey might move Kodi to RB coach if he wants to do so. it's where he was  when he worked for Lindsey before.

Horton is our best position coach. Would be a huge loss if he leaves. 

On 2/3/2017 at 2:52 PM, bigbird said:

Not while Gus is here.

It's a shame because we need a recruiter. A high level one.  I said Kirby going to uga would be a problem. Now we're weaker in Florida too.....we still have one hope and only one.....we better win or all this starts to collapse

22 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It's a shame because we need a recruiter. A high level one.  I said Kirby going to uga would be a problem. Now we're weaker in Florida too.....we still have one hope and only one.....we better win or all this starts to collapse

No doubt.  By winning, I hope you mean winning at least 10 regular season games including uga and 1 of Clemson, LSU and spuat. 

wde

I wonder how Craig likes it in Oregon. He had a wonderful job and the fans really loved having him back. I bet he now wishes he never left Auburn.

22 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I wonder how Craig likes it in Oregon. He had a wonderful job and the fans really loved having him back. I bet he now wishes he never left Auburn.

He's not in Oregon  To my knowledge, he's never been offered a job at Oregon.

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

The job must not have been too wonderful if he left.  

Archived