Dameyune Craig fired

TitanTiger

24 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Going to be interesting to hear how good of a WR coach Kodi is, when he isn't coaching WR's anymore. 

What do you speculate will happen here?  Didn't CL want Kodi coaching WRs at ASU (or was it RBs).  How would Kodi contribute?  Any chance of officially moving him to off-field role and hiring a seasoned WR coach?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

What do you speculate will happen here?  Didn't CL want Kodi coaching WRs at ASU (or was it RBs).  How would Kodi contribute?  Any chance of officially moving him to off-field role and hiring a seasoned WR coach?

We will know in a week. And Kodi isn't going anywhere. 

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

SIAA but analysts can have contact if they have a preexiting relationship with a recruit or if a staff does not have it's full alotment of coaches. T-Will did this twice the defensive staff changes before he was our full time LB coach.

And that's why we keep you around :)

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

I think if it was some amicable parting of ways at LSU, they would have allowed DC to line up his next gig first instead of dismissing him.

I don't know how these things work, but I believe DC had some sort of buy out with his contract that another school had to put up some cash to get DC (I read it in another thread, so it must be true).  By "firing" DC does that provision then become null and void and therefore allow some other school pick up DC easier?

3 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

Still love Craig and would love to have him back, as unreasonable as that is currently.  Never understood why he was working with WR's instead of QB's though, at any of his stops. 

5 of his 12 years in coaching has been QB coach. 1 year as Miami Dolphins special teams coach. 6 years as WR coach.

I think the reason CDC is a WR coach is because he is primarily a recruiter, and most college teams use their OC as their QB coach. My guess is it is hard to spend time with QBs and do the work needed as a recruiter (but worked under Fisher at FSU given Fisher's history as a QB coach and OC), and it is impossible to be an OC, QB coach, and Recruiting Coordinator. Also you have to consider NCAA coaching limits and the fact only on-the-field coaches can recruit.

It seems like the WR coach position is not considered critical on many college coaching staffs, so they park their top recruiter there.

19 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I could be wrong, but I think our wide receivers are about to improve dramatically. Being in an offense where they regularly get to do their job in game situations will lead to a significant  improvement in their performance. 

Great point. One of the things I read abotu CCL is he believes WRs should run routes on running plays, and not go straight to blocking. The theory is, with more passing plays, along with RPOs and play action, the DB has to respect the WR as a threat and stay with him.

26 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

FWIW The local sports radio station here in north LA discussed this topic yesterday. They talked about CDC openly looking for jobs as the main reason he was "let go".

No way. 

20 hours ago, Tiger said:

As long as he doesn't goto Bama. They won't get a boost from his recruiting or coaching -- how do you truly improve from the string of #1 classes and consistent success? But he gives a reputable face to negative recruiting of prospects and their families. He knows AU. But worst of all, for this particular case, he can talk all the **** he wants about AU,Gus, the program, and how it's being run and say he knows this for a fact because he worked here under this regime for 3 full years. Please someone far away from the south hire him. 

It seems CDC would fit right in with the current Bama staff. Not playing well with others is a condition Pruitt is known to have, and Craig may have as well. Craig has worked with Saban before, so he knows what he would be getting into, as did Pruitt. I have speculated Pruitt returned to Bama to get "rehabilitated" to position him as a potential HC somewhere. If CDC has a questions due to how he left his last two jobs, Bama could be a rehabilitation stop for him as well.

I don't know if CDC has as much value outside of the south. His strongest territory is South Alabama and the Florida Panhandle, as well as the rest of Alabama.

6 minutes ago, meh130 said:

It seems CDC would fit right in with the current Bama staff. Not playing well with others is a condition Pruitt is known to have, and Craig may have as well. Craig has worked with Saban before, so he knows what he would be getting into, as did Pruitt. I have speculated Pruitt returned to Bama to get "rehabilitated" to position him as a potential HC somewhere. If CDC has a questions due to how he left his last two jobs, Bama could be a rehabilitation stop for him as well.

I don't know if CDC has as much value outside of the south. His strongest territory is South Alabama and the Florida Panhandle, as well as the rest of Alabama.

You're right but my view on it is dripping with bias, I'll admit that.

1 hour ago, meh130 said:

Great point. One of the things I read abotu CCL is he believes WRs should run routes on running plays, and not go straight to blocking. The theory is, with more passing plays, along with RPOs and play action, the DB has to respect the WR as a threat and stay with him.

I've never understood why this wasn't happening..

1 hour ago, imaolgatiger said:

I've never understood why this wasn't happening..

If defense is in zone coverage it won't work. 

5 minutes ago, alexava said:

If defense is in zone coverage it won't work. 

Actually, RPOs are more effective against zone coverage because you catch the defense in between responsibilities. 

DC would still have a good job if he hadn't lessoned to Les or O and became their OC/WR coach. So after this past season, coach O fired DC and now he finds himself at Oregon of all places. To coach Craig, you had a good thing going on the Plains. It's a ashame you didn't realize it and stayed.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Actually, RPOs are more effective against zone coverage because you catch the defense in between responsibilities. 

Is there any chance DC ends up coming back? 

Just now, mikeholiday said:

Is there any chance DC ends up coming back? 

Depends on his next move... if he goes to Oregon or anywhere but bama... sure.  If he goes to bama, short of going in as a spy to air all of their dirty laundry, no chance in hell he's welcome back in Auburn again.

9 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Depends on his next move... if he goes to Oregon or anywhere but bama... sure.  If he goes to bama, short of going in as a spy to air all of their dirty laundry, no chance in hell he's welcome back in Auburn again.

I see it very differently. I dislike Bama as much as anyone, but why punish DC if he goes to Tuscaloosa? Saban has brought him on board twice for huge opportunities, once at LSU and once with the Dolphins. He was at AU and our coach decided he needed to move on. Gus was looking out for his best future and DC has the right to do the same. It happens everyday in college football. 

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

I see it very differently. I dislike Bama as much as anyone, but why punish DC if he goes to Tuscaloosa? Saban has brought him on board twice for huge opportunities, once at LSU and once with the Dolphins. He was at AU and our coach decided he needed to move on. Gus was looking out for his best future and DC has the right to do the same. It happens everyday in college football. 

That's a noble stance, but I guarantee you that the people who control the athletic purse strings don't see it that way. It will be even worse if he utilizes his trademark negative recruiting against us while working for our biggest rival. If he has aspirations to be OC or head coach at Auburn, he better hope Oregon wants him.

5 hours ago, meh130 said:

One of my main gripes in recent years has been the use of WRs as blocking dummies. It basically lets the defense play 11-on-8. Or sometimes more like 11-on-2 when they can also ignore the OL and TE. For example: I think Jonathan Wallace was on the field for most of the offensive snaps in 2015 without catching a single pass.

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

That's a noble stance, but I guarantee you that the people who control the athletic purse strings don't see it that way. It will be even worse if he utilizes his trademark negative recruiting against us while working for our biggest rival. If he has aspirations to be OC or head coach at Auburn, he better hope Oregon wants him.

CDC should look out for CDC and his family. If that is to go to Bama, then so be it.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

CDC should look out for CDC and his family. If that is to go to Bama, then so be it.

Certainly, you gotta do what you gotta do. I don't think he cares about coaching here ever again, but if he does, he has to know that going there would kill that opportunity. I can't remember which thread, but I posted somewhere that it might be the best thing for him, because if he can succeed, it'll write a ticket to any aspirations he might have.

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm not an insider and I am not connected with the PTB, so I don't know specifically why he left AU. But it seems to me we have no interest in making him an OC or HC. DC was a star QB in the SEC, had a brief stint as an NFL player, played professionally in the NFL Europe, Coached in the NFL under Saban, and was tutored in College coaching by Saban, Jimbo, and Gus. In spite of that, he served as an underling for Lashlee who was a marginal college player with zero NFL experience who knows only the Gus way. DC may or may not become a Power 5 OC or HC but it's pretty clear it wasn't going to happen at AU. He certainly has a better resume than RL. He will always be one of my favorite players and I wish him success wherever he goes. 

Archived