Dameyune Craig fired

TitanTiger

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/4/2017 at 8:29 AM, Mikey said:

It's been mentioned that Horton is looking around, or being looked at, or both. If he goes elsewhere, Lindsey might move Kodi to RB coach if he wants to do so. it's where he was  when he worked for Lindsey before.

Horton has been interviewed at least for the past 2 years for OC positions, but either not been hired or decided to not accept any offers he might have received. I think it would take just the right job to get him to jump. I also think Gus needs to do what he can to keep him. Right now, he's the life's blood of our offense. Trying to replace him with Kodi would be a serious mistake in my book.  That would be like replacing a top brain surgeon with a resident.

18 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

He hasn't really been a good coach. He is a A+ recruiter and C+ coach. Maybe we just make him 10th coach as Recruiting Coordinator only. I don't want him coaching at AU.

None of you have any indication on the quality of this guys coaching

22 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Fair or not, a coach is judged by results and his aren't good when come to on the field matters. 

34 minutes ago, rophle said:

Fair or not, a coach is judged by results and his aren't good when come to on the field matters. 

I understand that perspective. On the other hand, DC was an all SEC caliber QB who played several seasons professionally at that position. We had him coaching WRs in a run dominated offense. (While a marginal college player with zero pro experience coached QBs) . I'm not sure that's a good way to assess his results. On the other hand, Saban thought enough of him as a coach to hire him at LSU, and then the Dolphins. He wasn't hired with the Dolphins to recruit. 

19 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I understand that perspective. On the other hand, DC was an all SEC caliber QB who played several seasons professionally at that position. We had him coaching WRs in a run dominated offense. (While a marginal college player with zero pro experience coached QBs) . I'm not sure that's a good way to assess his results. On the other hand, Saban thought enough of him as a coach to hire him at LSU, and then the Dolphins. He wasn't hired with the Dolphins to recruit. 

Saban had him as a GA at LSU and a ST coach at Miami, not exactly a ringing endorsement of his QB coaching abilities. not trying to argue, but if he was a great QB coach he'd have been given other opportunities by now. 

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Correct that we've not coached with him,  but logic would suggest that one would not fire a coach that was a very good teacher and top 10 recruiter.   

4 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Only thing I would ask is Did Saban hire him as QB coach?

disregard just read the answer 

3 hours ago, lala said:

Correct that we've not coached with him,  but logic would suggest that one would not fire a coach that was a very good teacher and top 10 recruiter.   

Yet here we are with the defensive coordinator that we have.....

6 hours ago, rophle said:

Yes a wr coach results won't be good when your qb's sucks.....when the qb's were good how were the results?

50 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Yes a wr coach results won't be good when your qb's sucks.....when the qb's were good how were the results?

We haven't had a reliable receiver since Courtney Taylor and Darvin Adams.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

We haven't had a reliable receiver since Courtney Taylor and Darvin Adams.

Actually Emory Blake was very reliable, Quan bray was too but he wasn't a number 1. Duke was his first year and Sammie was better than anybody we've had since he's left. You can really just look at Marcus Davis and how he actually got worse. WR's need to get in the flow of a game just like anybody else

57 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Actually Emory Blake was very reliable, Quan bray was too but he wasn't a number 1. Duke was his first year and Sammie was better than anybody we've had since he's left. You can really just look at Marcus Davis and how he actually got worse. WR's need to get in the flow of a game just like anybody else

Forgot about Emory.  Quan was as misused as Truitt

There are 128 teams in the FBS. Auburn ranked 120th in pass attempts this year. Texas Tech ranked 120th in rush attempts. Our WR and QB play was lacking, but our running backs were great. . Texas Tech's run blocking was lacking, but their QB and WRs were great.  Generally speaking, the more you do something the better you get at it. 

Although it was nice to have DC at Auburn if nothing else for the Auburn connection, I am happy where our staff is right now.  DC was a good recruiter, but our receivers really did not improve under him unfortunately.  I may catch flak for that, but it is true.  Maybe a good test for DC would have been if he stuck with us long enough to work under Chip Lindsey with this passing offense to really test his receivers, but we will never know.  I trust that Kodi Burns will get the job done, and from what I have heard high school coaches love Chip Lindsey, both in Alabama and in Georgia, so I think our recruiting will do really well in this next cycle.

I do hope DC finds a job that he is content with and can succeed in though.

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

There are 128 teams in the FBS. Auburn ranked 120th in pass attempts this year. Texas Tech ranked 120th in rush attempts. Our WR and QB play was lacking, but our running backs were great. . Texas Tech's run blocking was lacking, but their QB and WRs were great.  Generally speaking, the more you do something the better you get at it. 

thought there might well be some chicken/egg aspect to that one

ETA - I Hate Spell Check

16 hours ago, rophle said:

Ehh, he did a pretty good job with Jimbo at FSU, he worked with their QBs and they had the offense clicking.

I won't judge Craig's coaching abilities based on his short stint working under two of the most boneheaded, stubborn HC's that forced "their" agenda on the offense to the point that they couldn't get out of their own damn way.  Miles lost his job because of his stubborn, predictable, short sighted offensive agenda with a roster loaded with talent.  Gus is headed for the same route of departure from AU unless he can find a way to step out of his own skin and turn over the reigns to CCL.

If Horton leaves, Gus needs to hire the very best RB coach to replace him. Then again, he may want to take someone from this staff. Could be Kodi.

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

Forgot about Emory.  Quan was as misused as Truitt

Word. 

I always love the such and such is the reason you may not like it but it's true....bit.

Anyway it depends to me what he may have disagreed about, if he was saying things like don't rotate the qb's or let's try something different than the run up the middle every first play then I can't be mad at that

I think Dameyune would be well-advised to do what Rhett Lashlee did:  take an OC position at a non-power 5 school and prove himself.  Short of doing that, I'm not sure he'll get a shot as an OC at an SEC program.  Like it or not, his reputation is as a great recruiter, not as a great offensive mind.  He may be a great offensive coach, but until he can prove it, nobody is willing to take a chance on him.

19 hours ago, cole256 said:

Yet here we are with the defensive coordinator that we have.....

Yet coordinator has about 30 yrs more experience

Archived