All Things Sean White (Merged)

aubiefifty

2 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

I am with others who believe JS has a higher upside and thinks he will win the starting job.

I don't think Stidham has a higher upside, I think he's currently a more polished QB. Sean and Woody have potential through the roof.  The question with them is can they do what it takes to reach that potential?  For that reason, if all put in the same level of effort, the depth chart should be Jarrett, Sean, Woody, since that is where they currently are in their development. That being said, if any one of them lays back or puts in serious extra effort, that list can shift. The only one with freakish natural talent potential is Woody... and that's mostly because we haven't seen what he is capable off. He certainly has the build. Sean and Jarrett, to me, are on the same level natural talent wise. Jarrett is just more developed.

his reading of defenses is like others IMO. At games I have attended I have seen misreads and throwing to the wrong man many times, but I believe that happens with all QB's.

Sean is actually above average at reading defenses, for a college QB. He goes through progressions well, and rarely throws a dangerous ball.  You are right, however, every QB out there frequently throws to the guy who isn't the best option, because they see the opening and take it. 

Alabama is the only one that can do it with more of a game manager, but their talent is so deep they can offset, but even some of their guys ended up in the NFL.

Their guys end up in the NFL on scout teams or holding clipboards. While they do have a high percentage of NFL talent on their roster, bama has mastered the art of putting less than qualified players in the league only for them to stagnate.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/3/2017 at 10:31 AM, 1auburn1 said:

Can we win 9-10 games with SW as the starter, yes.     Can we go beyond that, highly doubtful.   He doesn't do enough to pressure elite defenses and allow us to open up the field. JS was brought in to be the starter, and he will be unless he gets a case of Jeremy Johnsonitis in which case the seat of Gus' pants will be aflame.

Agree 100%. This is my biggest argument when it comes to SW. He hasn't beat UGA or Bama. Injury prone. I hope he gets healthy to be our backup b/c we may need him. I don't expect JS to be a heisman candidate but i do expect him to be able to stack up against the better defenses. SW gets us wins against the Miss. schools, Arky...etc. games we should win anyway but i'm not confident SW gets us to the playoffs and a chance to win it all. JS is going to have to be injured or fall flat on his face in order not to be the starter. If he's not...i'll be helping Gus pack.

I'm over this guy knows the system blah blah. Yes that helps but you put your best players on the field that give you the best chance to win and it's up to the coaches to make the adjustments needed for the QB to succeed. There are going to be some new elements in the offense anyway so all the QBs will have a learning curve. I'm fine if we don't name a starter until game week or game day...as long as JS is getting majority of the snaps in practice. 

On 3/3/2017 at 9:31 AM, 1auburn1 said:

He doesn't do enough to pressure elite defenses and allow us to open up the field.

Two quick questions for you.  What elite D has Sean played, other than LSU, when he wasn't injured?  And what did he do against LSU?

11 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Two quick questions for you.  What elite D has Sean played, other than LSU, when he wasn't injured?  And what did he do against LSU?

You got to let it go man. It's not personal against SW.

I keep reading, "He hasn't played in the SEC" and "he put up great numbers against mediocre defenses" with a great receiver to throw to.  

With our receiving corps, the second point is a 'wash'.  The kid is focused: he didn't burn a year of eligibility or risk injury by playing DII, also he found a way to play 'some' by helping the local HS team.  I have read he is spending "a lot of time in the film room."  

I hear "work ethic" and we have seen talent in his highlights.  That is a good combination.  

Add in that Lindsey can develop a QB.... I only fear that Gus will meddle.

4 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I only fear that Gus will meddle.

The concern that one of the most brilliant offensive minds in the country will "meddle" with the offense has always been funny to me. We hired him for this very reason - if he doesn't like the way something looks on offense, its HIS JOB to fix it. Why are we paying him $4.5 million (I am sure E will correct this number) if we don't want him to "meddle" in the offense? This argument might have merit if Ed Orgeron was our coach, but he isn't.

1 minute ago, thaitopher said:

The concern that one of the most brilliant offensive minds in the country will "meddle" with the offense has always been funny to me. We hired him for this very reason - if he doesn't like the way something looks on offense, its HIS JOB to fix it. Why are we paying him $4.5 million (I am sure E will correct this number) if we don't want him to "meddle" in the offense?

Iono you should ask him why he decided to hand up the clip board on the offensive end ? Why did we have to seek out an OC , with the notion that he would have full control. Doesn't seem that funny at all, in fact it's reality .

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

You got to let it go man. It's not personal against SW.

That's the thing, DAG... it kind of is. I agree with everyone that odds are Stidham is going to start and he is currently the better QB (I say currently, not because I expect that to change but because I can't see into the future).  Still, there's this contingent of people who can't stop using flawed logic to put Sean down, while they are lifting Jarrett up, and that is messed up. 

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

That's the thing, DAG... it kind of is. I agree with everyone that odds are Stidham is going to start and he is currently the better QB (I say currently, not because I expect that to change but because I can't see into the future).  Still, there's this contingent of people who can't stop using flawed logic to put Sean down, while they are lifting Jarrett up, and that is messed up. 

Fair enough . There are people who are definitely using some flawed logic in their synopsis . SW definitely is an High IQ QB with probably the best mid range passing skills in the SEC. I don't know if I necessarily agree with you that JS is more developed than SW as he barely had a hand print in the collegiate game and SW has had about 3 years to garner experience . 

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Iono you should ask him why he decided to hand up the clip board on the offensive end ? Why did we have to seek out an OC , with the notion that he would have full control. Doesn't seem that funny at all, in fact it's reality .

While our new OC may have day to day control over the offense and run the playbook, its Gus's job to tweak elements of it that he doesn't like or that Gus doesn't believe will work.

Just now, DAG said:

Fair enough . There are people who are definitely using some flawed logic in their synopsis . SW definitely is an High IQ QB with probably the best mid range passing skills in the SEC. I don't know if I necessarily agree with you that JS is more developed than SW as he barely had a hand print in the collegiate game and SW has had about 3 years to garner experience . 

I think Jarrett was better developed before college. He obviously has better long ball technique and a stronger arm, both of which can be developed but haven't been with Sean. Otherwise, I don't see a serious difference in their style of play. Jarrett is bigger, which is always an advantage.  

Hopefully, once Sean is cleared, he will spend an inordinate amount of time in the gym, building his throwing arm strength, and equal amounts of time focusing on his deep ball form and timing with the receivers.  That way, if/when we need to swap QBs, there won't be a noticeable difference.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Still, there's this contingent of people who can't stop using flawed logic to put Sean down

YUP. And when sound logic is used, "you're just making excuses". 

No arguing that Sean is injury prone at this point. Plenty of reason to think he can't finish a season. But folks can't leave it at that. They have to make illogical inferences about his actual abilities when healthy. That's what seems personal. And ignorant. 

And for goodness sake, folks, PLEASE stop bringing up the soft defenses in the middle of the season last year. We *destroyed* them. Sean didn't beat them "like he should". He kicked their freaking teeth in. And before you talk about the running game, you'd better remember whether or not he had a sufficient running game in the games we lost. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Qualities like "athletic" and "stronger arm" need to be separated from those such as "talented", "upside" and "ability to read defenses". 

Jeremy Johnson and John Franklin are "much more athletic" and have "stronger arms" than Sean White, too.

Quick question. Do you think WB has more talent than SW? I personally do. Can he read defenses? Don't know.

With that said will it translate to the field? I don't know that it will or  not. WB may never see the field in any real capacity. Who knows?  But I believe that if WB looks to be the QB of the future. You will see him in as many mop up games (if JS is the starter) as you will SW.

1 minute ago, thaitopher said:

While our new OC may have day to day control over the offense and run the playbook, its Gus's job to tweak elements of it that he doesn't like or that Gus doesn't believe will work.

Uhh he did that last year . He came up with letting all three QBs play in the Clemson game and I almost believe he took over for the UGA game as well. 

As a head coach , what he really needs to do is have a foundational game plan that he wants achieved . The tweaking and elements of it absolutely belongs to the coordinator . 

Not happening...barring an injury.

Just now, 80Tiger said:

Quick question. Do you think WB has more talent than SW?

How on earth could I have an opinion about that? I've never seen him play in a game. 

Is his bigger/faster/stronger? Sure. Does that mean he's more talented? Absolutely not. If it did, then we'd have about 50 guys on the roster who would be better QBs than White. 

2 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Why, why, WHY am I reading another one of these QB threads? 

Sorry, I'm talking in my head again. Carry on, off season.

Interesting speaker and an intelligent audience? Reasonable choice.

2 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Why, why, WHY am I reading another one of these QB threads? 

Sorry, I'm talking in my head again. Carry on, off season.

Because Auburn football has a way of sucking you in, getting you addicted to your very core, only to be thrown away for garbage and disposed which will lead to many tears for the rest of your life, where, as a dying old man you will only say to yourself "why? why? why?"

57 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Agree 100%. This is my biggest argument when it comes to SW. He hasn't beat UGA or Bama. Injury prone. I hope he gets healthy to be our backup b/c we may need him. I don't expect JS to be a heisman candidate but i do expect him to be able to stack up against the better defenses. SW gets us wins against the Miss. schools, Arky...etc. games we should win anyway but i'm not confident SW gets us to the playoffs and a chance to win it all. JS is going to have to be injured or fall flat on his face in order not to be the starter. If he's not...i'll be helping Gus pack.

I'm over this guy knows the system blah blah. Yes that helps but you put your best players on the field that give you the best chance to win and it's up to the coaches to make the adjustments needed for the QB to succeed. There are going to be some new elements in the offense anyway so all the QBs will have a learning curve. I'm fine if we don't name a starter until game week or game day...as long as JS is getting majority of the snaps in practice. 

Tell me again which THUGA and turd games that he has actually played in and/or has been healthy? Would you say it's hard to win a game if you aren't playing or you're injured?

On 3/3/2017 at 11:42 AM, gr82b4au said:

The reaction will be way different IMO. There are probably very few AU fans going into this spring that thinks SW, who is hurt and will miss all of spring practice, will start in 2017 over JS. Even the most adamant SW supporters have to admit that JS has a huge advantage at this point. 

Back in 08 there was a big debate, I remember. But the reaction when Todd was named starter (while bad) was not near what it will be if SW is named starter over JS, especially if JS has a strong spring. This place will melt so hard we may have to go back to aunation because you won't be able to login to aufamily. It will shut down. 

I'll admit...my melt would be epic for sure if that happens.

6 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

Tell me again which THUGA and turd games that he has actually played in and/or has been healthy? Would you say it's hard to win a game if you aren't playing or you're injured?

That's part of the point. Injury prone. I don't feel he can be declared as a top QB if he hasn't played and beat the big boys. 

11 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

That was kind of his point.

7 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

That's part of the point. Injury prone. I don't feel he can be declared as a top QB if he hasn't played and beat the big boys

we do seem to have a relative paucity of those

It seems to me the bamr and uga games should be discarded when discussing how capable a qb White is. I guess I could say I'm against Dan Fouts because he never played in a Super Bowl.

Archived