All Things Sean White (Merged)

aubiefifty

My reaction if SW/Stidham/JFIII/Queen is named as the starting QB.....War Eagle!!  Gus needs to when at least 10 regular season games with one of those against uga in my opinion to keep his job.  I don't care who the QB is.  Gus needs to win and win big.

wde

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a good problem on our hands. We have some very good talent on hand at the QB position. I feel much better now knowing that we have the talent on hand that if one goes down, we can feel that next one can come in and give us a chance to win.

On 3/4/2017 at 11:46 AM, imaolgatiger said:

What year did Kiehl Frazier start as QB for Auburn? Which coaching staff moved him to safety? Who should have started in front of JJ in 2015?

In 2012, but Gus Malzahn recruited him to be their QB for the future in 2011. The reason he got moved to safety in 2013 was because of his 2012 stats, and they had recruited a much better runner/thrower in Marshall from JC. 

I didnt say JJ had anyone better athletically than him in 2015, but it was GM decision to not recruit as heavy at QB because they thought they had a potential Heisman type QB in JJ. The coach touted him immensely before he was named the starter in 2015. His QB ratings his last 2 years here was not even over 50. 

I get your points, but it was the HC who made the decisions around the QBs and who effectively was recruited and started.

42 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

In 2012, but Gus Malzahn recruited him to be their QB for the future in 2011. The reason he got moved to safety in 2013 was because of his 2012 stats, and they had recruited a much better runner/thrower in Marshall from JC. 

I didnt say JJ had anyone better athletically than him in 2015, but it was GM decision to not recruit as heavy at QB because they thought they had a potential Heisman type QB in JJ. The coach touted him immensely before he was named the starter in 2015. His QB ratings his last 2 years here was not even over 50. 

I get your points, but it was the HC who made the decisions around the QBs and who effectively was recruited and started.

To take @imaolgatiger's thoughts a bit further.  Not only was it not this staff that coached Frazier as a QB, but a huge part of the reason that Frazier fell apart was because he was placed under an OC who tried to force him into a pocket passer mold, when he was a pure dual threat. On top of that, the same OC has been a bit of a joke everywhere he's gone, so to lay Frazier's issues on Gus is ludicrous. As for moving him to safety, he was athletic enough that they wanted him on the field, contributing, and QB was covered in 2013. There was no reason to try to fix a QB that Loeffler broke, when he had a max of one year left, and when all efforts could be focused on getting Jeremy ready to take over once Nick was gone.

In 2015, we had 2 choices, Jeremy or a red shirt freshman who had taken no snaps. Yes, Gus was wrong to not recruit more QBs, but he also could not have predicted Queen's injury issues. Everyone saw in several games, both in 2013 and 2014 that the coaches did a great job of getting Jeremy ready to play, because he owned the field when he wasn't under the pressure of a starter.  It's likely that no one could have coached him to not crack once the pressure was on.

I can't think of a single year at Auburn where the wrong choice was made at starting QB, considering all known variables (yes, the Clemson game was a mess, but Sean was still, correctly, named the starter... even if the game plan didn't show it.). The fan base needs to figure out how to get over the anomaly that was 2015. That is one point in history that is highly unlikely to repeat itself.

On 3/4/2017 at 1:08 PM, oracle79 said:

Hopefully, this will be my last comment about this (can't guarantee I won't get riled up and post again though..lol).  GM could name Will Hastings the starter at QB and I'm gonna pull just as hard for Auburn and yell just as loud for them at games.  Who our preference for starting QB is, is in no way indicative of our loyalty or degree of support for Auburn football.  The people that are hoping for JS to be named the starter are the ones that look at bottom line results.  SW has been the main guy overall for the last two years and we have finished 7-6 and 8-5 and lost to Georgia/Bama again.  Whether or not that is SW's fault is irrelevant, just as it is irrelevant whether it is GM's fault due to circumstances beyond his control (injuries, QB mental issues, player ego's not panning out, etc.).  The buck stops with the Head Coach and then with the QB regardless of actual facts/responsibility.

The hope with JS is that he has a higher ceiling than SW and will take the team to the 10 or more wins that 5 straight top ten recruiting classes should be achieving.  So, if SW does win the starting spot, the disappointment will not be that SW has won the spot, but that JS wasn't an upgrade to SW and we are still probably looking at a subpar 10 win season and losses to our traditional rivals again.  I know the defenders will come and make the excuses for SW's record and cite facts that prove he is capable of more, but like I said earlier, production-wise. in the bottom line W/L column, it hasn't appeared thus far.

So JS represents hope, and SW means more of the same (at this point until production proves otherwise).  So it's not dissing SW to hope JS is the clear winner and an upgrade, which we ASSUME will manifest in better production (W/L record and beating rivals).  We're all gonna pull and root for Auburn regardless of starting QB.  We'll just complain more if it isn't our guy and we stay mediocre.

It is clear as day that posters on this forum have THEIR guy. I am not afraid to say that I want JS to win the position and start day 1 for much of the reasons you have posted.

On 3/4/2017 at 1:08 PM, oracle79 said:

So, if SW does win the starting spot, the disappointment will not be that SW has won the spot, but that JS wasn't an upgrade to SW and we are still probably looking at a subpar 10 win season and losses to our traditional rivals again.

There's a problem with this logic.  All you have to do is look at Stidham's tape to see that he is an upgrade to Sean, so the only way Sean could win the start is to improve. That would mean if Sean got the start, he would actually have stepped up his game to surpass the tape we've seen on Stidham. 

I like Sean's toughness, accuracy, and competitiveness. He was clearly the best QB we had last year without question. I argued for him and his abilities with many, but he has deficiencies, just like most. All that said, JS is clearly a more polished QB. He will elevate our team to the level we should be at, if our play calling is elevated as well. Play calling and execution, IMO, are the keys to this years team

36 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I like Sean's toughness, accuracy, and competitiveness. He was clearly the best QB we had last year without question. I argued for him and his abilities with many, but he has deficiencies, just like most. All that said, JS is clearly a more polished QB. He will elevate our team to the level we should be at, if our play calling is elevated as well. Play calling and execution, IMO, are the keys to this years team

Simply brilliant:nopityA:

32 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I suppose that's my entire point distilled down a bit. There are a lot of moving parts and our QB is just one of them. 

When we have a new OC, more experience at the skill positions, 2 new RBs to replace moonlighting WR Stanton Truitt and an actual pass catching TE, "expecting more of the same" from our offense if Sean is the QB is illogical. Unless you're talking about the injury situation, in which case that new OC would then be handing the keys to Stidham, Barrett, Willis or Queen instead of Franklin or Johnson... so again, not the same at all. 

Yes, I love Sean White. Yes, I think we could be a contender with him as our starting QB. No, he won't be. Yes, Stidham is the man. Yes, this is good. 

13 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

If you're gonna play in Texas...

29 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

What would we do without bird's expert analysis on this site. There are only a hundred and something other teams in D1 relying on these 2 keys for a successful season, but bird was the 1st to pluck it out of the air for AU. I think bird deserves a standing O for this.:bow:

20 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

What would we do without bird's expert analysis on this site. There are only a hundred and something other teams in D1 relying on these 2 keys for a successful season, but bird was the 1st to pluck it out of the air for AU. I think bird deserves a standing O for this.:bow:

Well, someone has to dumb it down for y'all. 

17 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Break it down Barney-style.

34 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Thanks for taking that initiative.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I suppose that's my entire point distilled down a bit. There are a lot of moving parts and our QB is just one of them. 

When we have a new OC, more experience at the skill positions, 2 new RBs to replace moonlighting WR Stanton Truitt and an actual pass catching TE, "expecting more of the same" from our offense if Sean is the QB is illogical. Unless you're talking about the injury situation, in which case that new OC would then be handing the keys to Stidham, Barrett, Willis or Queen instead of Franklin or Johnson... so again, not the same at all. 

Yes, I love Sean White. Yes, I think we could be a contender with him as our starting QB. No, he won't be. Yes, Stidham is the man. Yes, this is good. 

I agree.  I will add that I do not really care who ends up named the starter.  Everyone considers Stidham our presumptive starter, and for good reason.  If White or Barrett can beat Stidham to take the starting job, that is good enough for me.

Without all the verbiage displayed above, if anyone but Stidham is named starter, it would just tell me that Gus and his now departed son just wasted another scholly. I will be behind whomever is chosen and be screamin' WDE.

On 3/3/2017 at 10:30 AM, 80Tiger said:

All those are points to be considered for the success of the team. My point is that we need better talent at QB that can perform. I believe that Barrett has better talent than SW but don't know if he can perform. I believe JS has better talent but don't know if he can perform either. I think better talent on the field no matter the position will lead to better results. That is what I hoping for.

I would like to know what you base the statement that Woody has better talent than SW. Is Woody more athletic yes but accurate throwing and reading a defense is more important than athleticism at the QB position. SW can read defenses and is a very accurate thrower. There are a lot of very talented athletes that don't make it at QB because QB is much more than being athletic. That is why so many HS QB's who are usually the best athletes on their HS team move to other positions. As to Stidham being more talented based on his time at Baylor a case can be made for that.  I am not knocking Woody he could develop into a great QB or he could be another athlete that never becomes a true QB only time will tell. SW has shown he has talent in the SEC but he has not shown that he is great again he could develop only time will tell. Personally I expect Stidham to win it with SW as backup but if SW comes back healthy and honestly beats out Stidham especially if Stidham is playing well I will be happy.

6 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

yep totally agree just like Ga. tech is my favorite school of all time........see if the great one can figure that out.

16 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I would like to know what you base the statement that Woody has better talent than SW. Is Woody more athletic yes but accurate throwing and reading a defense is more important than athleticism at the QB position. SW can read defenses and is a very accurate thrower. There are a lot of very talented athletes that don't make it at QB because QB is much more than being athletic. That is why so many HS QB's who are usually the best athletes on their HS team move to other positions. As to Stidham being more talented based on his time at Baylor a case can be made for that.  I am not knocking Woody he could develop into a great QB or he could be another athlete that never becomes a true QB only time will tell. SW has shown he has talent in the SEC but he has not shown that he is great again he could develop only time will tell. Personally I expect Stidham to win it with SW as backup but if SW comes back healthy and honestly beats out Stidham especially if Stidham is playing well I will be happy.

From what I have read, WB is much more athletic/talented. He has more upside and much stronger arm. Don't know about his ability to read defenses. Not enough info. SW is accurate under about 30 yds. His long pass accuracy leaves much to be desired and his reading of defenses is like others IMO. At games I have attended I have seen misreads and throwing to the wrong man many times, but I believe that happens with all QB's. I am with others who believe JS has a higher upside and thinks he will win the starting job. When you look at the teams that have won the NC over the years, you can point to very good QB on all the team. Clemson, OSU, FSU, AU. Alabama is the only one that can do it with more of a game manager, but their talent is so deep they can offset, but even some of their guys ended up in the NFL.

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

From what I have read, WB is much more athletic/talented. He has more upside and much stronger arm. Don't know about his ability to read defenses. 

Qualities like "athletic" and "stronger arm" need to be separated from those such as "talented", "upside" and "ability to read defenses". 

Jeremy Johnson and John Franklin are "much more athletic" and have "stronger arms" than Sean White, too.

Archived