All Things Sean White (Merged)

aubiefifty

1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

It seems to me the bamr and uga games should be discarded when discussing how capable a qb White is. I guess I could say I'm against Dan Fouts because he never played in a Super Bowl.

I didn't know the SB was an annually scheduled game for the Rams. News to me.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is for the last couple of years Sean White has not been able to stay healthy and complete a season.  When he is healthy he is good, real good.  When he is hurt he is bad, real bad.  The inconsistency he has provided at that position the last couple of seasons has amounted to inconsistent results.  

I think if Stidham or Woody is ready to go, they need to start.  However, I'd feel really good having Sean White as backup.

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

I didn't know the SB was an annually scheduled game for the Rams. News to me.

It's not. Nor is it for the Chargers. What is your point?

3 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

That's part of the point. Injury prone. I don't feel he can be declared as a top QB if he hasn't played and beat the big boys. 

That's interesting. Jarrett Stidham's college resume on the other hand consists of looking impressive against SMU, Lamar(!), Iowa State, Kansas and KState. Against both Oklahoma and Oklahoma State (the Big boys?) he got hurt and looked very average.

11 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

That's interesting. Jarrett Stidham's college resume on the other hand consists of looking impressive against SMU, Lamar(!), Iowa State, Kansas and KState. Against both Oklahoma and Oklahoma State (the Big boys?) he got hurt and looked very average.

I wasn't comparing him to JS. I simply stated i consider SW just average. You made the assumption that i think JS is some rockstar. I've never stated that. I do believe JS is better than SW. Whether that is heisman worthy...no one knows. If SW was so exceptional we wouldn't have went as hard as we did after JS. I've never made JS to be a savior.....simply the fact that i think he brings more to the table to make our offense even better. 

JS also started 3 games as a true freshmans. I would hope one would take that into account. SW has had how many years to show if he can or can't beat UGA or Bama? I get it..the kid got hurt both years and i'm not trying to dog him but part of being a top athlete is what you show against the best competition. So i reserve the right to think SW is average until he shows otherwise against better defenses. 

LOL. When did a GM offense require a QB to "read" a defense?

verb (used without object), meddled, meddling.
to involve oneself in a matter without right or invitation; interfere officiously and unwantedly:

Meddling is bad.  Being a head coach and delegating responsibilities and then over seeing and quality checking those results is his job.

It's not. Nor is it for the Chargers. What is your point?

No clue why I thought he played for the rams, nevertheless , you can't compare a freaking SB to an yearly division rival game. Especially  when injuries are continuously causing you to miss such games. A lot of variables can happen for you to never play in the super bowl. 

How the heck are you going to discard two of the biggest divisional games on our schedule , especially when more times than not , those two make or break us going to the SEC championship game.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Against Louisville in 2015?

That proves my point. JJ doesn't read anything, and the analyst said he knew where he was going before the snap. (I'm sure that was after a Meerkat pause to the sideline to decipher a poster of ridiculous photos and interpreting GM's bouncing and hand gestures).  But, if anything, it is a one read offense.  Cam could do it.  Nick did it to some extent.  Since then...?

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Against Louisville in 2015?

My memory is normally vague after games are played but this one game is somehow etched into my mind. 

Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

My memory is normally vague after games are played but this one game is somehow etched into my mind. 

Those picks... they were so bad. Never seen anything like it. 

3 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

That proves my point. JJ doesn't read anything, and the analyst said he knew where he was going before the snap. (I'm sure that was after a Meerkat pause to the sideline to decipher a poster of ridiculous photos and interpreting GM's bouncing and hand gestures).  But, if anything, it is a one read offense.  Cam could do it.  Nick did it to some extent.  Since then...?

Call it reading a defense, call it situational awareness, call it whatever. Even Gus's QBs have to be able to make good decisions- on their own- to be successful. 

Hopefully it's a moot point now, though. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Those picks... they were so bad. Never seen anything like it. 

You're right. I think that's why the game is so etched in my mind. With each INT i was like..how did he not see that defender? A lot of double takes. As the analyst stated pre-determining throws is not good. 

I just remember being beyond excited starting that season thinking JJ was going to pick up from where he started in the Arky game. Still don't get what went wrong but i do appreciate how he stuck it out and remained a high character person, player and teammate is amazing. 

One thing i think we all can agree on this that we certainly have much better QB options 1-3 this season. That in itself should put us in position to contend for an SEC Championship at the least. 

7 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

One thing i think we all can agree on this that we certainly have much better QB options 1-3 this season. That in itself should put us in position to contend for an SEC Championship at the least. 

Ya damn right about that, sir.

Hell, we'll actually have options 1-3, period, as opposed to just option 1. We'll have options 1-5 if Tyler Queen survives the offseason. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Ya damn right about that, sir.

Hell, we'll actually have options 1-3, period, as opposed to just option 1. We'll have options 1-5 if Tyler Queen survives the offseason. 

And options 1 & 2 should be as good as or better than any 1 & 2 in not only the SEC, but the country.

59 minutes ago, DAG said:

No clue why I thought he played for the rams, nevertheless , you can't compare a freaking SB to an yearly division rival game. Especially  when injuries are continuously causing you to miss such games. A lot of variables can happen for you to never play in the super bowl. 

How the heck are you going to discard two of the biggest divisional games on our schedule , especially when more times than not , those two make or break us going to the SEC championship game.

The point I was trying to convey is how can one use games, against teams the boy has not played in, as a basis for being his ‘ biggest argument when it comes to SW. Now if White had played and stunk it up against them then yes, perhaps he is not capable. But to damn him over games he has not participated would be like damning Fouts for not playing in the Super Bowl. IMO

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

How on earth could I have an opinion about that? I've never seen him play in a game. 

Is his bigger/faster/stronger? Sure. Does that mean he's more talented? Absolutely not. If it did, then we'd have about 50 guys on the roster who would be better QBs than White. 

Really? You have no opinion on that? This whole thread is an opinion of which you are participating.  There are a myriad of thing that one could look at to make an opinion one way or another. Bigger/faster/stronger is one of them. Better arm strength would be one/ who all recruited him would be another and the fact that he has played QB before helps in that thought process (your argument for the 50 guys on the roster who didn't play QB is silly). All of this is subjective and opinion.

2 hours ago, oracle79 said:

LOL. When did a GM offense require a QB to "read" a defense?

verb (used without object), meddled, meddling.
to involve oneself in a matter without right or invitation; interfere officiously and unwantedly:

Meddling is bad.  Being a head coach and delegating responsibilities and then over seeing and quality checking those results is his job.

Ok I used the word "meddling".  I get the definition.  I was referring to how he reportedly turned over the reigns before LSU to the actual OC, but it seemed in all likelihood Gus was micromanaging player packages and QB play against UGA.   I think a HC trying to play 3 healthy QBs in the same game, a game that is quite winnable, is meddling, micromanaging or stupid (choose any word or words).   

I wish he had ensured we had a back up who could play in Nov.   Heck I think we would have beat UGA with our mess of an offense, if we had just been less predictable by changing up the HUNH at certain points.  I felt Gus' fingerprints were all over the play calling against UGA. 

Lastly, the whole argument, "Gus was brought in to run the offense" point is old.  That was years ago, the dynamics have changed.  Lashlee is gone & Gus is 0-6 against our two biggest rivals for the last 6 tries.  Things are changing.  He made his hires (his choices) and got the best avail QB in the country.  He did the strategic part, time for him to oversee and ensure his philosophy is carried not.  Not call plays.  Patton was picking which tank commander hit the bridge head first.    

Personally, I think Gus did a tremendous job in the off season.  I want the OC and DC to do the same now, using his philosophy.  Patton still checked training and managed battle prep, but he didn't do stupid things on game day.  

19 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Really? You have no opinion on that? This whole thread is an opinion of which you are participating.  There are a myriad of thing that one could look at to make an opinion one way or another. Bigger/faster/stronger is one of them. Better arm strength would be one/ who all recruited him would be another and the fact that he has played QB before helps in that thought process (your argument for the 50 guys on the roster who didn't play QB is silly). All of this is subjective and opinion.

The whole thread is informed opinion based on statistics and seeing the guys play college ball.  All anyone knows about Woody's ability as a college QB is that he struggled to adjust to college last year.  That's it. He could be John Franklin, Deshaun Watson, or anyone in between and there is no way for us to know until we see him play. So, to come out and say you believe he has more talent as a QB than Sean, strictly because he's more athletic and was recruited by a lot of teams really calls into question your ability to judge talent... or it shines a light on your bias against Sean.

If you want to use pre-college criteria to judge Sean, since you are using that to judge Woody, how about the fact that he was the MVP of the Elite 11 where the same Deshaun Watson wasn't even in the MVP conversation? I guess that doesn't count since we've actually seen him play in college.

4 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I was referring to how he reportedly turned over the reigns before LSU to the actual OC, but it seemed in all likelihood Gus was micromanaging player packages and QB play against UGA.  

Here's the rub about that Beaker... that's completely rumor started by a bunch of p***ed off fans who wanted someone to blame for the loss. Odds are just as likely that the play calling in that game was crazy because Rhett was struggling to find an answer when it became obvious that Sean couldn't play through the injury and the rest of the team wasn't stepping up to help. No one has any clue if Gus got involved in play calling, packages, or any of it at the end of the season or not.

The point I was trying to convey is how can one use games, against teams the boy has not played in, as a basis for being his ‘ biggest argument when it comes to SW. Now if White had played and stunk it up against them then yes, perhaps he is not capable. But to damn him over games he has not participated would be like damning Fouts for not playing in the Super Bowl. IMO

Not when the principle concern is being INJURY PRONE.  That is the biggest argument against SW or have you been living in lala land the last few months? 

Comparing an NFL player's team inability to make the super bowl to a player who has been hurt 4 times in a 14-month span, being hurt in consecutive seasons during that timeframe and missing both SCHEDULED games is a bigger reach than MJ dunking on the monstars.  

Now if Fouts team had made the Superbowl twice and both times he was sidelined due to injury than you would have an appropriate comparison.

SW not being able to participate in the iron bowl is a SW issue. Dan Fouts not participating in the Superbowl could have many reasons. 

Keep up.

39 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Was the 'keep up' barb necessary? 

<Lumps dag in with cole and jeff>

Was your insane and sarcastic comparison necessary when a poster has a valid reason for concern as it pertains to the QB competition? 

The fact that you were actually bothered that someone would utter SW inability to play in our biggest games as a point of consideration for the QB position is bizarre to me, as this is completely a sane reason to be worried. Heck, at the next level, this is a cause of concern, so of course, in the schematics of AU football, this will be a point of emphasis. A huge point of emphasis.

2 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

No, I don't have an opinion on whether or not Woody will be better than Sean. I think he'll be bigger, faster, stronger and probably more durable. Those qualities combined are a fraction of what it takes. I don't factor in recruiting hype at all. Yes, I'm guilty of using hyperbole to make a point. 

I hope Woody is better than Sean. I hope he's better than Cam, too, for that matter. I just have to nothing to go on to believe one way or the other.

Archived